ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 World Cup Thread

I’ve heard that before and I don’t know that I agree with it. I think we have more than enough athleticism to be good in soccer. Do we ask football or basketball players to be gymnasts or skiers or swimmers etc but we are generally competitive in those kind of events and others. America is often the one of the top medal accumulators in the Olympics.

I don’t follow soccer to be an expert but imo what’s lacking is the skill or intuitiveness or vision that you’ll see from players in other sports. I do think it’s improved over the years but still not there for the top level.
No I think you are pretty spot on here. Look at the upcoming semi - Messi versus Modric. Two of the finest soccer players ever IMO. If they showed up to a tryout for Rutgers football how would they test? I bet Schiano wouldn't let them in the stadium 🤣. This game is about control of the ball, acceleration in very small spaces, balance, vision and your internal cpu. It's not about a 100 yd dash time or your max on a bench press. We need to move away from wondering how LeBron James would be at striker and move towards identifying young kids who can control a ball and see the game potentially at a world class level.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
No I think you are pretty spot on here. Look at the upcoming semi - Messi versus Modric. Two of the finest soccer players ever IMO. If they showed up to a tryout for Rutgers football how would they test? I bet Schiano wouldn't let them in the stadium 🤣. This game is about control of the ball, acceleration in very small spaces, balance, vision and your internal cpu. It's not about a 100 yd dash time or your max on a bench press. We need to move away from wondering how LeBron James would be at striker and move towards identifying young kids who can control a ball and see the game potentially at a world class level.
Now slight caveat. I'm not including goalie which is a different aninal or a striker from a set piece/header perspective. I'm thinking LeBron could potentially be quite useful there haha.

• Haha
Now we know why Reyna wasn't playing. He almost got sent home. Hopefully he learned his lesson and will come back better in 4 years.

Maybe that's accurate, to some degree. It's an explanation that would fit neatly, at least.

But in reality, we'll never know exactly what happened. I will say this, in the second half against NED, Reyna didn't light the game on fire, although he did work back to help defend well, which he should given he was better rested than the other 10 on the field at the time.

And, to my eye, his gait in the 7 minutes in the earlier game, and most of the second half of the NED game, seemed unnatural. It seemed slightly labored. I've seen that before with players who've recovered physically from an injury, but mentally are still favoring the injury which throws off their mechanics some.

For the RUMBB fans here, Caleb did the same thing while wearing a knee brace in his first game back, but looked much better in this second game (sans brace) and looked 100% normal since then.

Reyna's response. Kills Berhalter for making it public.

I hoped not to comment on matters at the World Cup. It is my belief that things that happen in a team setting ought to remain private. That being said, statements have been made that reflect on my professionalism and character, so I feel the need to make a brief statement.

Just before the World Cup, Coach Berhalter told me that my role at the tournament would be very limited. I was devasted. I am someone who plays with pride and passion. Soccer is my life, and I believe in my abilities. I fully expected and desperately wanted to contribute to the play of a talented group as we tried to make a statement at the World Cup.

I am also a very emotional person, and I fully acknowledge that I let my emotions get the best of me and affect my training and behavior for a few days after learning about my limited role. I apologized to my teammates and coach for this, and I was told I was forgiven. Thereafter, I shook off my disappointment and gave everything I had on and off the field.

I am disappointed that there is continuing coverage of this matter (as well as some highly fictionalized versions of events) and extremely surprised that anyone on the U.S. men's team staff would contribute to it. Coach Berhalter has always said that issues that arise with the team will stay "in house" so we can focus on team unity and progress. I love my team, I love representing my country, and I am focusing now only on improving and growing as a soccer player and a person. I hope that going forward each person involved in U.S. Soccer focuses only on what is in the best interest of the men's national team so we can enjoy great success at the World Cup in 2026.

Reyna's response. Kills Berhalter for making it public.
As he should. I find the "we thought this was off the record" a bit nonsensical, considering the way it was delivered was quite... measured/planned (ie the word Reyna was strategically never uttered in those comments). Maybe it is just me.

Here's the thing. It is quite possible that by the time the next cup comes around, and perhaps by the time qualifying begins, that Reyna is CLEARLY the best attacking player in our pool. Are we going to risk him not playing for Berhalter, or just use this opportunity to thank Greg for the hard work but "we are going to get some new coaching blood"?

sad day for the futbol world. that's probably the last time we'll see Modric play at a WC. not sure he plays in a 3rd place game. Maybe last time ever in a national team shirt. what a player.
I'll be floored if he doesn't play in that 3rd place game - he's a consummate professional and I would think he'd want to go out on a better note than that game against Argentina. Fantastic player still.

Looking forward to today’s matchup. Have to admit, Amrabat has been a surprise in this WC and I wonder if a big money offer will come to Fiorentina for him.

Side note — The conspiracy theorists from the current events board will never admit they were wrong, but the cause of Grant Wahl’s death was released this morning.

Reactions: Kbee3 and cshelley
I hope the game today isn’t as ugly as the prior Morocco game. A win is a win, but their last game wasn’t much fun to watch from a “beauty of soccer” standpoint. Looked a particularly bad MLS game.

Unnecessary goal given up by Morocco in the 5th minute on a couple of defensive miscues. Lloris has made one really good save for France. Could get out of hand if Morocco presses too much to even things up.

France has to capitalize on some of these shot opportunities. The misses could come back to haunt them.

Almost the goal of the WC on that bicycle kick by Morocco - looks like Lloris might've gotten a hand to it pushing it onto the post. Wow. Glad to see Morocco making some chances.

Entertaining half, if not “beautiful soccer“. Early French goal probably opened up Morocco’s approach to the game somewhat.

Moroccans starting to dive way too much to draw fouls. They have been great all tournament but their constant diving and complaining is making me root against them now. Plus they are playing a physical game themselves

Moroccans starting to dive way too much to draw fouls. They have been great all tournament but their constant diving and complaining is making me root against them now. Plus they are playing a physical game themselves
They’re playing really well at the moment. France has been maybe a bit too defensive, but that’s in large part due to how effective Morocco has been at attacking through the center of the field.

That was all Mbappe‘s ability to dribble penetrate and draw the defense to him. The ball springing free the way it was lucky, sure, but the defender being out of position on the final touch was Mbappe.

Griezemann has been so stout in the midfield and especially on defense, making several key clearances/interceptions in the box.

That was all Mbappe‘s ability to dribble penetrate and draw the defense to him. The ball springing free the way it was lucky, sure, but the defender being out of position on the final touch was Mbappe.
Yep, when one guy occupies 5 defenders, the odds of a fortuitous bounce to a teammate are much greater, since there are fewer defenders away from the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT