ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Nick Castellanos said, "The Mets are not better than them. We've been the best team all year." Philly started the season hot, but struggled the last two months. Meanwhile, the Mets struggled early, but were the best team in the MLB since June. Also, NBC Sports Philadelphia talk so much trash. No one is good except the Phillies. The Mets basically stink.
He can talk with the TV remote in one hand and a beer in the other while muttering to himself......." Gee I wish we were still playing."

I lean L.A. SD's bullpen is just filthy. But then so was Philly's right? And we shredded their pen. Both teams have SP issues. Imagine having to go with a bullpen game in the post-season. But it worked like a charm for the Dodgers last night. They both have power throughout their lineups. LA is a bit banged up with Freeman and Rojas who probably would go on the DL right now if this were the regular season.
Think I’m going with LA. Really want no part of the King I saw vs ATL, and Darvish looms for a G3/G7 which would equate to slow torture.

Betts is catching fire, and the big O is the big O, but it is what it is. Going with the blue.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Not so. It was reactionary.

Not thinking Stearns was the right guy?? Someone who built Milwaukee into a perennial NL contender with no money and a fanbase that couldn't even sell out all the games for last week's playoff series with the Mets? In one or two months, he's not the right guy? That's absurd. Despite loads of uniform evidence that Stearns knew what he was doing, the self-cutting and blood spilling commenced. They died-easy.

The reasonable ones, on the other hand, saw a team that would be near .500, above or below. The actual results were better, which was a testament to what Stearns was able to do during the season. And the results were nowhere near the doom and gloom blood letting show put on by the die-easy reactionaries. It was amusing to watch, but not very reasonable.

Nobody is an infallible prognosticator. But what was going on here in April and May and beyond . . .
I didn’t bold the part about Stearns. Nor did I mention him in the reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: willisneverrana43
He can talk with the TV remote in one hand and a beer in the other while muttering to himself......." Gee I wish we were still playing."
I saw that interview. The Phils went 50-48 over the last 98 games. The season series with the Mets went 7-6 Phils. Don't knoiw what team he was watching but the Mets had a much better record than the Phils over the last 100 games.

I saw that interview. The Phils went 50-48 over the last 98 games. The season series with the Mets went 7-6 Phils. Don't knoiw what team he was watching but the Mets had a much better record than the Phils over the last 100 games.
He's delusional but I'm sure if he states his case to a couple of drunk Philly fans, they'll buy his explanation, lmfao

On another note - what time can we expect Sundays game? Fox is doing a football double header. I know that FS1 is also a possibility. I don’t want a super late game!

Lindor is leading off. Chisel that in stone. No way in the world he moves to hit 3rd or anywhere else.

Playing the Dodgers opens the chance of saying, Mets beat the #3, #2, and #1 seeds, followed by the #1 in the AL. Bring on whichever team advances, though. The Musgrove injury surely hurts the Padres a lot. King is great, but... Cease has allowed 2+ ER in 8 of ten starts including the postseason. Darvish is good, but as he starts tomorrow, he cannot go again before game 3 at best.

Nick Castellanos said, "The Mets are not better than them. We've been the best team all year." Philly started the season hot, but struggled the last two months. Meanwhile, the Mets struggled early, but were the best team in the MLB since June. Also, NBC Sports Philadelphia talk so much trash. No one is good except the Phillies. The Mets basically stink.
I read the entire Castellanos quote. The context is unfair IMO.

What he said was "Do I think the Mets are a better team than us? No. But this series, they were." He went on to praise the Mets turnaround, specifically mentioning Iglesias' influence, and concluded "And just give them their credit, they beat us."

Nothing wrong with any of that.

Last edited:
I read the entire Castellanos quote. They context is unfair IMO.

What he said was "Do I think the Mets are a better team than us? No. But this series, they were." He went on to praise the Mets turnaround, specifically mentioning Iglesias' influence, and concluded "And just give them their credit, they beat us."

By the end of the World Series w will be better than then in all ways.

I read the entire Castellanos quote. They context is unfair IMO.

You do, however, get what you deserve when you lose a series and then say that you’re better than the other team, no matter the qualifiers that you give and no matter that you were just answering a question. The smarter answer is: they beat us. Or: they beat us, so that question doesn’t matter. But he wanted to answer. Fine. But you get what comes with it.

Next round- Alvarez catches unless he gets tired. Maybe his bat isn’t hot but our pitchers love him.
McNeil- if healthy, has to be with the team but who the F gets left off?
I can only go back to those 80’s teams with Mookie/Lenny Backman/ Tueffel. Knight/ Johnson - guys like Mitchell not starting…for just pure depth in the lineup

This shit has been so much fun

Next round- Alvarez catches unless he gets tired. Maybe his bat isn’t hot but our pitchers love him.
I can only go back to those 80’s teams with Mookie/Lenny Backman/ Tueffel. Knight/ Johnson - guys like Mitchell not starting…for just pure depth in the lineup

Then Mitchell went on to hit 50 hr's with San Fran

Last edited:
Reactions: yesrutgers01

Re who gets left off, it will either be Acuna or the 13th pitcher, likely either Ottavino or D. Young.

What I would love- not even for just pure baseball reasons- I want to see Diaz back to untouchable and come in to close out both the next series and WS at home- could you imagine how insane his entrance would be if he gets back to tgat and walking in to close it at home to the Trumpets 🎺

I miss the days of the day games- I may be wrong but don’t think my memory is tgat bad- 1969- my 2nd grade teacher crammed our class into the AV room to watch a Mets/Balt WS

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT