ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ACC says "Let's make a Deal"

I don’t think they’re enough spots in the B10/SEC for a whole bunch of ACC schools.

If that’s the case, I still think it’s more likely B12 schools (WVU/UCF) go to the ACC than the the other way round.

The B12 and ACC are the same, difference is negligible. If anything being in the east coast time zone might bring a little more value to the ACC. Just 6 of one, half size of the other imo.
B1G/SEC will add 2 each IMO. Can't see more than that.

https://twitter.com/Genetics56

This guy on X is also VERY tuned in and has been on top of this for months and months. FSU to the BIG has been a foregone conclusion for a long time. Definitely worth following this guy on X. Very good insider info

sarah, pitt, fredo all should be quaking in their boots

I wonder if a hybrid with the B12 will be in the works
Maybe ThE big 12 won't want to rescue those three programs
They will do what they want when they want, if they want

No one felt sorry for Uconn and its football program

The question now is...FSU is most likely going to be in the B1G as the 19th member. Does the B1G stay at 19 with an opening for ND as 20 or have the Irish burned too many bridges at this point? Maybe get FSU/Miami to make it the B2G?

I have a theory that the B1G and SEC alliance that was formed a few weeks ago is a potential front to decide/negotiate on which schools from the ACC that the B1G and SEC want to take. That way everything with the Power 2 is streamlined correctly and the leftovers can either get on their knees and beg for the Big 12 to take them or get ready to learn AAC, buddy.

Just as I thought, this would be a negotiated settlement. Pay the $100M and call it a day.
FSU should get a full share because they bring a significant part of Florida to the B1G. As I’ve previously stated, B1G schools and fans love their Florida trips.
After these last few storms, I’m looking forward to Florida trip coming up myself!!

The question now is...FSU is most likely going to be in the B1G as the 19th member. Does the B1G stay at 19 with an opening for ND as 20 or have the Irish burned too many bridges at this point? Maybe get FSU/Miami to make it the B2G?
You give ND a call, but you tell them it's in or out by a certain deadline and then we move on.

And it looks like the conference will become the B1G-divisions

You give ND a call, but you tell them it's in or out by a certain deadline and then we move on.

And it looks like the conference will become the B1G-divisions
So 19 in theory could work as B1G has a precedent of going with 11 schools for decades with PSU.

Since money and football notoriety are trumping everything else, is there a chance that eventually schools like Rutgers and Maryland will be relegated? I know both schools brought a huge money boost when they were added to the B1G, but the conference musical chairs game has changed so much since then.

Speaking for myself -- I'm not sure I'd care that much, truthfully. Maryland isn't going to be big player in football going forward. I'm losing interest in college sports anyway...

Since money and football notoriety are trumping everything else, is there a chance that eventually schools like Rutgers and Maryland will be relegated? I know both schools brought a huge money boost when they were added to the B1G, but the conference musical chairs game has changed so much since then.

Speaking for myself -- I'm not sure I'd care that much, truthfully. Maryland isn't going to be big player in football going forward. I'm losing interest in college sports anyway...
I don't see it mainly because the B1G prides itself on academics as much as athletics, namely in the form of research dollars. Can't forget the B1G makes a shit ton more money on the academic side with research.

Maybe ThE big 12 won't want to rescue those three programs
They will do what they want when they want, if they want

No one felt sorry for Uconn and its football program
I'm hoping no. Better for Rutgers

Stop...utter nonsense

We provide more than many long time BIG members. Just stop

Clemson is definitely happy, while Cuse and Pitt should focus their attention on bball and non-revenue sports moving forward
Agree about Syracuse and BC. Pitt will be fine - would probably have been in the B1G if not for Paterno. They may land in the other "Big" and the rivalry with WVU will be even bigger.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigmatt718

...I'm no expert with the college conference legalities but I'm thinking something like that might go against the league membership agreements and if the league attempted something like this it would probably end up in court.

Joe P.

Reactions: Knight Shift
...I'm no expert with the college conference legalities but I'm thinking something like that might go against the league membership agreements and if the league attempted something like this it would probably end up in court.

Joe P.
Exactly plus the B1G is unique in that they have a very specific research consortium. I don't think you can involuntary terminate a B1G school without a massive legal fight like you said.

Just stop - not going to happen. And why would someone disinterested in college sports even be on this board -go to one of those exciting Ivy League sports boards.

Reactions: RUref
Likely the B1G and ~100 million seems to be the price
JDS,

I’m a fan of these off season FSU conference realignment discussions btw. Thanks for stirring it up.

Question: if FSU gets their settlement number with the ACC at say $100-150MM and they solicit the BIG to join and the BIG offers membership with a full revenue schedule of 5-7 years while the B12 offers full revenue from the get, what do you want and what do you think FSU does?

GO RU

Way too many schools. No way it would increase B10 share and it would actually cut everybody B10 share. Maybe one other like NC, just enough to destroy the ACC, and then the networks can spread more of the ACC money to B10 and SEC. Whatever is left over will get less TV money and be even less competitive.
As always, the networks will determine what schools and markets will add the most to the coffers. I think FSU/Miami package is attractive to FOX and the BIG along with possibly Atlanta and the Carolina/VA markets.

At the end of the day, BIG memberships will only support bringing in schools that will add to their distributions.

GO RU

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Nobody who actually gets a B1G invite make this much noise about it ahead of time.
Nobodys had a situation before like FSU & Clemson - 2 schools that compete for nattties who, they stayed in their league until the contract ran out, would no longer be conditioning for titles

https://twitter.com/Genetics56

This guy on X is also VERY tuned in and has been on top of this for months and months. FSU to the BIG has been a foregone conclusion for a long time. Definitely worth following this guy on X. Very good insider info
That guy is full of it. He throws literally everything on the wall. I’ve seen him from years ago and he has changed his name too. I don’t pay attention anymore. Might as well be like that WVU guy…dudefromwv or whatever his name was.

This is from a Minnesota guy who also likes to talk about all this stuff but is a little more humble about it. He also likes to gin things up too for views or whatnot, guess they all do. He actually called the USC move from his connection to Minnesota boosters and even got a LA times article written about him because of it. He’s not gospel either but he’s not pompous like that genetics guy. That genetics guy would always harass him but he’s got many receipts as Deion would say lol.

Last edited:

You'll get a lot of people calling you names but it's a really good question.

Conference dynamics have evolved. The B1G isn't a regional conference anymore and there's only 2 conferences that matter. One could make a very strong argument that their media no longer requires specific in-market schools to capitalize on. e.g., Rutgers value proposition was always the NYC TV market. If Rutgers was relegated (or more likely, through legal mechanics if the majority of B1G schools left for a New B1G conferende), I don't see a world where Rutgers is needed for media market purposes.

Is it going to happen? Probably not. Is it impossible? Absolutely not.

JDS,

I’m a fan of these off season FSU conference realignment discussions btw. Thanks for stirring it up.

Question: if FSU gets their settlement number with the ACC at say $100-150MM and they solicit the BIG to join and the BIG offers membership with a full revenue schedule of 5-7 years while the B12 offers full revenue from the get, what do you want and what do you think FSU does?

GO RU
Hey bud - talking college football is always fun

They’d still go B1G
Better conference athletically & academicly many times over - especially in the Long run

Reactions: satnom
I
You'll get a lot of people calling you names but it's a really good question.

Conference dynamics have evolved. The B1G isn't a regional conference anymore and there's only 2 conferences that matter. One could make a very strong argument that their media no longer requires specific in-market schools to capitalize on. e.g., Rutgers value proposition was always the NYC TV market. If Rutgers was relegated (or more likely, through legal mechanics if the majority of B1G schools left for a New B1G conferende), I don't see a world where Rutgers is needed for media market purposes.

Is it going to happen? Probably not. Is it impossible? Absolutely not.
Yeah, it would definitely be a case of elite teams forming new leagues/divisions, and leaving some of the so-called Big 2 conference teams behind, rather than simply kicking teams out of current affiliations. It seems unlikely, but college sports have changed so much since I became a fan that I would never say "never."

Yes the BIG is fine without FSU. But bringing in another quality football program can only help our image.
How so? The conference is already one of the top two conferences. No one is going to look down on the B1G or Rutgers if they go to another conference. They already added 4 respected schools. FSU entering does nothing for us unless their value is well in excess of $100 mil. a year. That's for the networks to decide because Presidents aren't going to vote to take less.

Last edited:
Possible swap? WVU and Cinci to ACC and Stanford, Cal to B12? Probably not. Makes too much sense.

Reactions: MADHAT1
8g6rf7.jpg

Possible swap? WVU and Cinci to ACC and Stanford, Cal to B12? Probably not. Makes too much sense.
With the talk of FSU leaving Stanford and Cal might just think Mountain West because they feel the ACC will be going the way of the PAC 12 .

Reactions: Knightmoves
I don't see it mainly because the B1G prides itself on academics as much as athletics, namely in the form of research dollars. Can't forget the B1G makes a shit ton more money on the academic side with research.
The individual schools are major research institutions. The money does not go to the conference. The conference facilitates idea and some program sharing among the schools, but not the sharing of research money. Individual schools do not share research money unless they are on the grant or contract.

Based on where things are and are headed, whenever a question begins with "is there a chance", I think the only answer is yes.

Likelihood, no. Chance, yes.

How so? The conference is already one of the top two conferences. No one is going to look down on the B1G or Rutgers if they go to another conference. They already added 4 respected schools. FSU entering does nothing for us unless their value is well in excess of $100 mil. a year. That's for the networks to decide because Presidents aren't going to vote to take less

Yes we are 2nd best conference, but IMO the national view of the BIG is that we are closer to the 3rd ranked conference than we are to the SEC. Not saying that is true but the ESPN hype machine probably thinks that. FSU is a nationally recognized brand and helps us close the gap on the SEC. And sure we brought in 4 respected schools but none of them are better than Texas or Oklahoma so we lost ground there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT