ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Advice needed for travel to 1WTC

ponyfoot19

All Conference
Dec 19, 2007
Coordinating an activity in connection with a 50th high school reunion in Oct 2015. Thought was taking NJ Transit from Summit to Hoboken then taking the ferry from the Hoboken NJ Transit Terminal to I presume the 'World Financial Center then walking to the 'new' WTC. The group will mostly be 67/68 year olds so i'm not sure going on to South Street Seaport to tour and eat is viable or not. I've been out of the area for awhile, so I need to confirm the Financial Center is the best ferry destination, and looking for restaurant recommendations for lunch in the WTC and Seaport areas. No snide comments about the age group, some are no doubt RU donors. Thanks

I commuted from Summit to WFC for years. The train to Hoboken, ferry to WFC and walk to WTC is the most pleasant way to go. If anyone has trouble walking distances they can take the Path from Hoboken directly to the WTC.

WFC ferry is definitely the closest to WTC. It is no more than a 10 minute even at a leisurly pace. if you walk fast, it can be done in 5 minutes. However, PATH to WTC drops you off at the foot of the tower and you don't have to walk at all.

South Street Seaport is a nice area with many restaurants, and is about 20 minute walk at a leisurly pace.

However, if you won't want to do the walk, the WFC area has changed a lot recently. you have options such as Blue Smoke (BBQ), a nice Mexican restaurant (name escapes me), and Brookfield place (food court for foodies) inside WFC. There is also PJ Clarkes for classic bar food along the marina (but overpriced if you ask me). Merchants river house is also decent along the promenade.

If you are going to do lunch and go to the monument, I would stay on the west side of broadway and concentrate lunch in the World Financial Center/Battery Park area. I like Merchants Riverhouse, great views. PJ Clarks is another choice, but I think you get more value at Merchants Riverhouse. If you want to keep the price down, you can venture towards the Seaport and their are better alternives for a large group. The Beekman Pub and PJ Byrnes are two Irish style pubs that have party rooms and offer a very good group deal. Even with a drink, you are talking about spending only about $25/person.

It'll take you ten minutes or so to get to the tower from that ferry. It's actually longer than it looks and always windy as hell. Plus it doesn't matter when you get to Broadway - the light will just be turning green for the cars the moment you get there. If your plan is to see the footprints/museum add a couple more minutes. It's a pretty powerful experience there as you might imagine.

As far as restaurants i ve never been a fan of that area in general. Trinity has got a cool vibe (you walk through an old bank vault door) though. Right near zuccotti park (the protest crowd has long gone away).

On a nice day when you can get on the patio the view from Gigino at Wagner Park is awesome.
Not sure I'd go there to impress a foodie for dinner, food is good, but there is better not far away.
But great spot for a touristy lunch, on a sunny day take in the river, governors island, the Lady etc.

IMG_7628-400x600.jpg

For a bite on the way back to the ferry, stop by Blue Smoke for excellent BBQ. If Steve G is working, ask him about his protest at The RAC. If instead you wander to the south side of the WTC, try O'Hara's for a beer n lunch.
This post was edited on 4/10 1:25 PM by Jumba72

The place is a mess as there is still so much construction going on near the WTC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT