ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any Tesla Owners Out There

Kind of an asshole statement, TBH.

When I road trip, I stop for gas. While the gas is pumping I'll use the rest room and maybe buy a beverage. I'm back on the road in less than 10 minutes, often as little as 5.

On nearly all EVs, "20 minutes" doesn't get you a full charge - it gets you from 10% to 80%, so for each leg you're effectively using 70% of the car's range. Best case, depending on the vehicle, that's 230 miles. Here to Orlando means you're stopping at least 4 times, maybe 5 depending on vehicle dynamics (speed, A/C, etc). Your "20 minutes" is now an hour and a half, compared to my 10-20 minutes total. So my trip time is an hour better than your EV - and we haven't even discussed speed, yet. EV range declines at a much higher rate as speed increases than a good Euro sedan.

The simple fact of the matter is that - as we have agreed countless times in the EV thread - EVs are great - GREAT - commuter cars if you have a home charger, but they are definitely not great for road trips if your goal is to get there in as little time as possible.
My BIL drives to Florida every year without an issue. When your driving thousands of miles a few of your stops are going to be longer than 5-10 minutes. Its not a cannon ball run its a marathon.

Wonder what is happening in the resale market to these cars.
In the EV thread, there were some posts yesterday about that. Tesla used cars prices are down about 27% (IIRC). Which is currently leading the price drops.

Great for buyers, rotten for Tesla owners looking to sell.

Pontiac led the list of price increases, which I do not understand at all. So if you have a Pontiac and want to buy a used Tesla, now's the time.

My BIL drives to Florida every year without an issue. When your driving thousands of miles a few of your stops are going to be longer than 5-10 minutes. Its not a cannon ball run its a marathon.
It's a matter of personal preference. Some people like to take their time, enjoy the sights, stop and have meals along the way.

Others simply want to get where they're going as quickly as possible and dislike long stops. I often find that people who genuinely enjoy the act of driving, like me, fall into this second category.

Driving, when there's no heavy traffic, is relaxing and fun and meditative for me. Stopping detracts from the experience.

Reactions: RU4Real
435 miles WLTP for ID.7, closer to 350 EPA, I'll bet. Ram estimating 500 for 1500 REV. Think Silverado EV estimate is 400. If densities don't improve, they'll just keep adding more battery.

Silicon anodes, for one. Several companies building large-scale manufacturing facilities in WA as we speak. 20 percent range increase claimed in near term, more in longer term. Each tech company is already partnered up with an automaker or two, with batteries to be integrated into vehicles mid decade.

Stagnating in high 200s to low 300s would be a real mistake if they actually want to convert EV buyers.

300 to 350 *might* be enough on its own, but not when you start talking about it dropping in cold weather, when towing or hauling weight, going speed of highway traffic, etc
The Ram and Silverado don't exist yet.

Doping the anodes with silicon definitely increases range, but you're forgetting about scale and cost.

There comes a point where "just add more batteries" doesn't work. Batteries are heavy. It's more about energy density.

The Ram and Silverado don't exist yet.

Doping the anodes with silicon definitely increases range, but you're forgetting about scale and cost.

There comes a point where "just add more batteries" doesn't work. Batteries are heavy. It's more about energy density.

I know. We're debating range continuing to go up in the future. Future products are rather relevant there.

As I said, they're preparing to mass manufacture the silicon.

There certainly does. But when companies are plannin 200+ kwh options, I don't think we've found it.

Not even sure why you're arguing against it. More range is a good thing all around.

Reactions: mildone
Not even sure why you're arguing against it. More range is a good thing all around.
I am not sure, either. But we could probably come up with a reasonably accurate guess if we weren't so intent upon being the incredibly nice guys we are. 🙂

Reactions: fsg2
IMHO, Faster charging speed is more important than range. 300-350 is sufficient.
It's bad practice to be a ditto-head, but I completely agree. I have a Prius, and don't mind that, because of the small fuel tank, I feel the need to fill up every three hundred miles. Sitting around for twenty minutes (which, by the way, will be much longer because there will be waiting lines due to the slowness of re-charging) does not appeal to me.

It's bad practice to be a ditto-head, but I completely agree. I have a Prius, and don't mind that, because of the small fuel tank, I feel the need to fill up every three hundred miles. Sitting around for twenty minutes (which, by the way, will be much longer because there will be waiting lines due to the slowness of re-charging) does not appeal to me.
You're making assumptions. I've never had to wait for a charger. In a Tesla, if a supercharging station is fully occupied (which is rare), you'll be rerouted to another. As EVs grow, so does the charging infrastructure. It's expanding rapidly right now. Plus, most people charge at home. I guarantee you've spent more time waiting at a gas station filling up your Prius than I've spent waiting at a supercharger.

You're making assumptions. I've never had to wait for a charger. In a Tesla, if a supercharging station is fully occupied (which is rare), you'll be rerouted to another. As EVs grow, so does the charging infrastructure. It's expanding rapidly right now. Plus, most people charge at home. I guarantee you've spent more time waiting at a gas station filling up your Prius than I've spent waiting at a supercharger.
I hope you're right. But I think there's going to be a problem. Chargers are too expensive (setting aside the problem of finding an electrician qualified to install one safely) and too inconvenient for those not living in single-family homes to become ubiquitous. So as EV use expands, charging stations are going to need a *lot* of chargers -- many more than pumps in gasoline stations. I hope it works out, but it's going to be a challenge. And, of course, there's another problem: will those who have been used to spending only a short time filling up be happy waiting the longer time it takes to charge an EV? That's why I agree with @jtung230 that shortening charging time is badly needed.

I know. We're debating range continuing to go up in the future. Future products are rather relevant there.

As I said, they're preparing to mass manufacture the silicon.

There certainly does. But when companies are plannin 200+ kwh options, I don't think we've found it.

I'm not against range increases. I'm all for anything to accelerate sustainable energy. I'm also realistic.

Silicon anodes aren't a new discovery, and currently no battery supplier has been able to mass produce. What companies are you referring to? What's the $cost/kWh of manufacturing? Current Li-ion nickel cells are roughly $120/kWh, LPF cells a little less. What's the total output planned? Is this going to make a real dent in range increases for the masses? Are you sure these batteries are destined for vehicles rather than niche cases like eVTOL aircraft where ultra high energy density is required and cost is less relevant?

All I'm saying is when you look at the global leaders of battery supply: CATL, Panasonic, LG, SK, BYD... None are ramping silicon anode cells. Just the opposite. The big players are racing to increase LFP production. That translates to most EVs being in the 275-350 mi range.

I'm not against range increases. I'm all for anything to accelerate sustainable energy. I'm also realistic.

Silicon anodes aren't a new discovery, and currently no battery supplier has been able to mass produce. What companies are you referring to? What's the $cost/kWh of manufacturing? Current Li-ion nickel cells are roughly $120/kWh, LPF cells a little less. What's the total output planned? Is this going to make a real dent in range increases for the masses? Are you sure these batteries are destined for vehicles rather than niche cases like eVTOL aircraft where ultra high energy density is required and cost is less relevant?

All I'm saying is when you look at the global leaders of battery supply: CATL, Panasonic, LG, SK, BYD... None are ramping silicon anode cells. Just the opposite. The big players are racing to increase LFP production. That translates to most EVs being in the 275-350 mi range.
SK is working with Group14. Believe Volkswagen is the automaker in that mix.

"In December, Group14 followed that grant with an additional $214 million in private investment. The company plans to build a 20 GW US factory capable of producing enough silicon material for 400,000 electric vehicle batteries.

Group14 currently runs a pilot-scale plant in Washington state and has nearly completed construction on a 10 GW plant in South Korea, built in partnership with SK Materials. None of the large-scale facilities are operational yet, but Chief Technology Officer Rick Costantino says the company still aims to have its materials in an electric vehicle in 2023 or 2024.
"

Sila is the other I was aware of, teamed with Mercedes. Article mentions a third.

That's just one example of range-boosting tech on the immediate horizon.

"https://cen.acs.org/energy/energy-storage-/Silicon-anode-battery-companies-major/100/web/2022/12

Pontiac led the list of price increases, which I do not understand at all. So if you have a Pontiac and want to buy a used Tesla, now's the time.
There are classic Pontiacs that are sold every once in a while. There are also a bunch of G6's and similar cars from the 00's that are aging out and heading to junk yards, so they're not being sold as much. The ratio of classics to junk is just increasing.

Reactions: fsg2 and mildone
There are classic Pontiacs that are sold every once in a while. There are also a bunch of G6's and similar cars from the 00's that are aging out and heading to junk yards, so they're not being sold as much. The ratio of classics to junk is just increasing.
That makes sense. The overall low volume of Pontiac sales results in an outsized impact of classic car sales on the average transaction price. Didn’t think of that, thanks.

I've had a Tesla Model 3 mid range since 2018. No issues and no maintenance since I bought it, just rotated the tires. Depending on your driving need, you can use an existing electric outlet to charge, the regular outlet (120v 15 amps) can charge the model 3 around 4-5 miles an hour. Just plug it in when getting home at night, and in the morning, it's charged (I've been doing this for over 4 years with no issues). If you have electric dryer nearby, you can also charge from the dryer plug, that should charge the model 3 at around 20 miles an hour.
A little warning, the car has great acceleration, if you have too much fun doing that, you will have to replace your tires often, which will drive up the ownership cost.
Also in the beginning, takes a little getting used to driving because of the regen braking, basically when you let go the gas pedal, the vehicle decelerate because it recharge the battery by reversing the motor. This enables you to essentially do 1 pedal driving, and it preserves the brake pads (the brake pads can last up to 100k miles).

I've had a Tesla Model 3 mid range since 2018. No issues and no maintenance since I bought it, just rotated the tires. Depending on your driving need, you can use an existing electric outlet to charge, the regular outlet (120v 15 amps) can charge the model 3 around 4-5 miles an hour. Just plug it in when getting home at night, and in the morning, it's charged (I've been doing this for over 4 years with no issues). If you have electric dryer nearby, you can also charge from the dryer plug, that should charge the model 3 at around 20 miles an hour.
A little warning, the car has great acceleration, if you have too much fun doing that, you will have to replace your tires often, which will drive up the ownership cost.
Also in the beginning, takes a little getting used to driving because of the regen braking, basically when you let go the gas pedal, the vehicle decelerate because it recharge the battery by reversing the motor. This enables you to essentially do 1 pedal driving, and it preserves the brake pads (the brake pads can last up to 100k miles).
LOVE one pedal driving. When I occasionally drive an ICE vehicle, it now seems so antiquated to have to switch over and use the brake pedal. I can usually go my 16 mile commute to work without touching the brake pedal. I'm gonna guess my brake pads go beyond 100k miles

Last edited:
Chevy Bolt won the non-luxury EV segment.

@RUboston Hyundai Ioniq 5 was named best new model and Best Buy EV.

Last edited:
I guess as long as those objects are not painted like police cars or ambulances.
Pretty much everybody here who regularly posts in this thread, but a couple people, post stuff (good or bad or just potentially interesting) about ALL brands. As for the aforementioned couple people, they seem to fail to understand why their incessant spamming for one brand invites so much ridicule, although it's really quite obvious why.

"Ooh ooh! Look how great MY brand is. All other brands suck. " 🤣

Pretty much everybody here who regularly posts in this thread, but a couple people, post stuff (good or bad or just potentially interesting) about ALL brands. As for the aforementioned couple people, they seem to fail to understand why their incessant spamming for one brand invites so much ridicule, although it's really quite obvious why.

"Ooh ooh! Look how great MY brand is. All other brands suck. " 🤣
Please forgive me for posting about Tesla within the Tesla thread.

You can go back to the EV thread and continue posting about how EVs aren't for you, the latest news about ICE vehicles, what an amazing driver you are, and all of the other non relevant things you drone on about.

You can go back to the EV thread and continue posting about how EVs aren't for you, the latest news about ICE vehicles, what an amazing driver you are, and all of the other non relevant things you drone on about.
But you have to admit the video is BS right? Tesla is better but not 100%. But yet the video only shows other brands hitting dummies but Tesla. Also, if there was a video of Tesla hitting a dummy, Twitter would take it down. All about free speech. I wonder why Tesla is getting called out for all the false claims.

But you have to admit the video is BS right? Tesla is better but not 100%. But yet the video only shows other brands hitting dummies but Tesla. Also, if there was a video of Tesla hitting a dummy, Twitter would take it down. All about free speech. I wonder why Tesla is getting called out for all the false claims.

I just looked at a 2023 Mercedes EQE…$93k car yet with all the rebates was cheaper in financing compared to ICE 2024 GLE 350(~$70k)

I just can’t fathom two electric cars though as this time

As usual with this subject, you've missed the point by a mile. It's not that you posted about Tesla. There's absolutely nothing wrong with posting about Tesla here or in the EV forum.

Your problem is how you post about all things automative. You and the other guy have been nonstop propagandizing a single brand that you worship. So basically, nothing either of you post about cars can be trusted, same as with all other propaganda. You think everything automotive that isn't in some way related to promoting Tesla is irrelevant.

There's a decent chance that my first EV will be a Model X, I own lots of Tesla stock, and I've never tried to talk anybody out of purchasing either a Tesla or an EV (I also don't push them do so). So your defensive narrative than I'm anti-EV or anti-Tesla is unsupported by the facts.

I just looked at a 2023 Mercedes EQE…$93k car yet with all the rebates was cheaper in financing compared to ICE 2024 GLE 350(~$70k)

I just can’t fathom two electric cars though as this time
What rebates? 93k MSRP = no Fed tax credit.

What rebates? 93k MSRP = no Fed tax credit.
Mercedes gives you the rebate up front on a lease payment ($7500) without having to go thru the government. I am sure its their incentive. On a purchase you have to apply for it and that is where they try and trick you because it wouldn't be eligible based on price or AGI

No. Not BS. It's EURO NCAP testing footage, not some random, anonymous, unverified source. Was the footage edited? IDK, but those are clips from their tests.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT