ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anybody Waiting for their Kid's Early Decision/Action for College?

Early decision plans are binding — a student who is accepted as an ED applicant must attend the college. Early action plans are nonbinding — students receive an early response to their application but do not have to commit to the college until the normal reply date of May 1.

-------------
My son has some high targets, with not much in between the high targets and Rutgers. Have asked him to consider something in between such as Michigan, Purdue or Georgia Tech for Computer Science, but he said he would be fine with Rutgers if that is his only choice.

My son is a sophomore CS major at Purdue. Can not recommend enough! He LOVES it there. If your son goes tell him to eat his Wheaties because Purdue is all about science and prepare to have your ass kicked but it’s worth it. He just got an internship at a great start up In Indianapolis.

Reactions: Knight Shift
My son did early for Rutgers and Cal. Got into both - ended up at RU. Got a letter from Cal. and the next day RU, from the portal, which was followed by a letter a day later. This all took place in Jan, I believe the deadline at the time was 15 Dec. This is going back a few years.

My son did early for Rutgers and Cal. Got into both - ended up at RU. Got a letter from Cal. and the next day RU, from the portal, which was followed by a letter a day later. This all took place in Jan, I believe the deadline at the time was 15 Dec. This is going back a few years.
Why RU over Cal? What major?

Why RU over Cal? What major?

I'm curious as well, especially from an academics angle. Nice to see Rutgers selected nonetheless.

Maybe the bottom line cost of attendance worked in Rutgers favor even with both Rutgers and Cal being out-of-state (assuming home is in Viriginia based on RUNVA's handle). On the other hand, could be as simple as deciding that going all the way across the country versus a few hours away by car. Maybe UVa, W&M, VT, etc. were close enough to home where they're still too close even if a couple hours away, therefore...."too close to home" and "in-state and would rather go O-O-S" and "everyone in my HS is going there"....the same syndrome observed in NJ affects practically every state, just to varying degrees.

In many cases, there are countless more qualified students than are ever captured in applications/admissions stats that effectively self-select themselves away from schools that are located far away because they never even apply, realizing from the outset or early on in the narrowing down process that attending is unlikely even if successfully admitted or recognizing that it's unrealistically too far for travel and/or other purposes.

Speaking as someone who graduated high school in Florida and went to Cal, it is a long way from home. I remember staying in the dorms for Thanksgiving and in a student co-op for Christmas. It was not easy. But I had a family situation that made it good to be away from my parents. Beside, I had always wanted to move to California. But, as you can see, I didn't stay there.

Speaking as someone who graduated high school in Florida and went to Cal, it is a long way from home. I remember staying in the dorms for Thanksgiving and in a student co-op for Christmas. It was not easy. But I had a family situation that made it good to be away from my parents. Beside, I had always wanted to move to California. But, as you can see, I didn't stay there.
You settled for the "warmer" State of NJ.

My son graduayed from the School of Engineering last year and chose Rutgers over Maryland, Purdue and SUNY Albany (all of them offered presidential scholarship money - we are NY residents). He received a $10,000 scholarship from Rutgers, then later in the process ANOTHER scholarship that was endowed from an alum in our county. These were academic scholarships. He landed a great job after graduation, and one of his former roommates is in an engineering PhD program at Purdue and another other works for a major engine manufacturer. Another friend continued at Rutgers for grad school and is now heading to Lockheed Martin. The bottom line is that Rutgers grads do very well, so I’m not sure why there is a need for anyone to head out of state.

Scarlet Jerry

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT