ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone been to the Jersey Shore yet

Quick rundown based on several posters:
Sandy Hook down through LBI just plain sucks. Questionable visitors, hard sand and crappy beaches. Avoid.
South of LBI- long drive, expect to sit 2-12 hours in traffic from North Jersey, and flies like you can't believe.
Nobody goes to the beaches in Jersey anymore- they are too crowded.
LOL, somehow, even though as a shore-dweller I monitor such threads, I missed this gem!

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
According to Zillow, my Atlantic City house is now more valuable than my Washington Township (Gloucester County) house. Not sure I believe that, but I thought you guys would get a kick out of it.

I'm a Marylander, so I guess I have fewer pre-conceived notions about which places are good and bad in NJ...

According to Zillow, my Atlantic City house is now more valuable than my Washington Township (Gloucester County) house. Not sure I believe that, but I thought you guys would get a kick out of it.

I'm a Marylander, so I guess I have fewer pre-conceived notions about which places are good and bad in NJ...
Then let me be the first to give you a proper New Jersey welcome…

tenor.gif

i don't think this is surprising...shore real estate is holding its own and the South Jersey suburbs are typically a bargain by NJ standards

My wife and I stayed for a few days in Cape May this summer, and we've done a couple of day trips to Ocean City. We're regular visitors, and everything seemed fine to us. Heavens knows, though, that real estate prices are outrageous.

South Jersey real estate may still be a bargain, but prices here have gone up substantially. That may be changing now that mortgage rates are so high. But we still get cold calls asking if we want to sell our house, so there must still be a shortage of inventory.

Then let me be the first to give you a proper New Jersey welcome…

tenor.gif

I love it here in Jersey, so I hope you change your mind...
Technically, however, South Jersey, is it really "Jersey?" I used to have this debate with a classmate from Somers Point. It feels like a different state down their. This is kinda like does Central Jersey exist. One of the joys and mysteries of Jersey. Where does it start, and where does it end? It never ends!

When we lived in North Carolina years ago, a fishing buddy from Maryland pointed out that 30 miles of NJ was geographically south of Maryland. I asked my other fishing buddy, a North Carolina native who liked to throw the word Yankee around for New Jereyeans, if that made me less of a Yankee-nope.

My wife and I stayed for a few days in Cape May this summer, and we've done a couple of day trips to Ocean City. We're regular visitors, and everything seemed fine to us. Heavens knows, though, that real estate prices are outrageous.

South Jersey real estate may still be a bargain, but prices here have gone up substantially. That may be changing now that mortgage rates are so high. But we still get cold calls asking if we want to sell our house, so there must still be a shortage of inventory.
I get the calls too. Probably get cards in the mail a couple times a week.

Average time on the market here is 26 days even tho the prices seem high to me.

I live in southwest Florida. According to folks down here, there is an amazing percentage of real estate buyers who are paying cash. Unaffected by interest rates. Probably most families being two income families these days with one or no kids keeps real estate prices high, too. The days of large families are over. Lots more disposable income for large purchases.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
I get the calls too. Probably get cards in the mail a couple times a week.

Average time on the market here is 26 days even tho the prices seem high to me.

The prices at the northern Shore are still very high...would say in NJ it's the wildest market

Where in Twp do you live? I spent my first 18 years in the Whitman Square section, before coming to RU for college, and just had my 40th HS reunion (was COVID-delayed). Place has been growing like crazy for a long time - was a fun place to grow up.

With the number of whales and dolphins we see around here that's doubtful.
As always, he's trolling, and badly. NJ, historically, has some of the cleanest beaches in the US, given the State's aggressive testing and enforcement policies - as per the attached report, NJ's beaches ranked 2nd best in the US with regard to water quality (mostly a measure of bacteria in the water, which usually would come from poor water treatment facilities).

https://www.nj.gov/dep/wreckpond/why.htm

Technically, however, South Jersey, is it really "Jersey?" I used to have this debate with a classmate from Somers Point. It feels like a different state down their. This is kinda like does Central Jersey exist. One of the joys and mysteries of Jersey. Where does it start, and where does it end? It never ends!

When we lived in North Carolina years ago, a fishing buddy from Maryland pointed out that 30 miles of NJ was geographically south of Maryland. I asked my other fishing buddy, a North Carolina native who liked to throw the word Yankee around for New Jereyeans, if that made me less of a Yankee-nope.
My wife and her family are from new orleans, i grew up in Princeton and live in Maryland now, her family ALWAYS refers to me as a ‘yankee’. They’ve politely explained that anyone north of the Virginia line is considered a Yankee, despite Maryland being on the southern end of the Mason Dixon line…🤷‍♂️

My wife and her family are from new orleans, i grew up in Princeton and live in Maryland now, her family ALWAYS refers to me as a ‘yankee’. They’ve politely explained that anyone north of the Virginia line is considered a Yankee, despite Maryland being on the southern end of the Mason Dixon line…🤷‍♂️
Makes sense -- Maryland didn't secede and Virginia did.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Worked for a New Orleans based firm and dated a couple of girls down there. And that was a regular saying. Yankee carpet bagger etc…Didn't matter if they were white or black. Old line southern families have pride in their southern history. My response to one of the parents that called me a yankee was “ so you would rather your daughter date a descendant of a plantation owner than a yankee?” Their head kinda spun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT