ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Boston Celtics 18 World Championships most impressive stat ever?

The Celtics have the highest rate of championship series (or game) won per season (in which one was held) of all the 4 traditional major sports.

Celtics 0.231
Yankees 0.227
Lakers 0.224
Canadiens 0.221

Boston has now taken the lead for most (22) championships won since the Super Bowl began (basically my lifetime). NY still easily leads all time.

I think at one point the Yankees had half or almost half of all the world series championships.

The Celtics have the highest rate of championship series (or game) won per season (in which one was held) of all the 4 traditional major sports.

Celtics 0.231
Yankees 0.227
Lakers 0.224
Canadiens 0.221

Boston has now taken the lead for most (22) championships won since the Super Bowl began (basically my lifetime). NY still easily leads all time.
well to be fair, NY has the most teams so they have a huge advantage over Boston and Montreal in opportunities LOL

Though my Mets sadly haven't added much to it.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
I've heard Boston described as "a big town more than a city."
I could see that being true.
I bet pro athletes like living in Boston itself more than NYC pros who practically never live in the city (Tiki Barber was one)

I bet pro athletes like living in Boston itself more than NYC pros who practically never live in the city (Tiki Barber was one)

This seems pretty made up.

Of course, Walt Frazier famously lived in Levittown, Derek Jeter enertained girls in his apartment in Bayonne and Joe Namath commuted from New Rochelle. So you clearly did some research.

Reactions: Fat Koko
To me the most impressive is UCLA basketball with 10 championships in 12 years from 1964 thru 1975.
Solid point.But the Celtics won 10 in 11 years, 1959-1969, still the greatest franchise.

Last edited:
Ask Bill Russell how he felt he was treated in Boston, even with all the success he brought to that city.

Reactions: drewbagel423
Not when the playoffs are Semifinals and Finals.
???? Is having over half of the 19 being against also rans supposed to be better than 8 actual trophies?

The NYI’s 4 year run was great. The following one that ended in a loss to Edmonton wasn’t.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Ask Bill Russell how he felt he was treated in Boston, even with all the success he brought to that city.
eh, its not like we're much better here. As an Asian, I went through non-stop racist bullying all through my youth in the 80s and 90s.

The Northeast as a whole loves to pretend to be so progressive and better than the rest of America, but in actuality are just as bad if not worse. NY and NJ isn't any better than Boston area in that sense, it was all a long time ago.

Of course, Walt Frazier famously lived in Levittown, Derek Jeter enertained girls in his apartment in Bayonne and Joe Namath commuted from New Rochelle. So you clearly did some research.

Levittown, Bayonne and New Rochelle aren't in NYC
Don't need research for that - not me anyway lol

Its like the Olympics - throw out the high and low score.
When Russell played there the Patriots were still the Boston Patriots - little before my time.
I recall Newark and NJ weren't so great either back then

A lot of the Knicks have rented apartnents at Sky, a huge apartment tower on W 42nd St. About eight years ago, I had a meeting with the building owner there. He told me Carmelo Anthony lived in the building and designed its indoor basketball court.

I met 'Melo and asked him what design advice he provided. 'Melo told me Sky's architect hates the color orange and 'Melo persuaded the architect to allow orange hoops.

Several Knicks were shooting hoops when I visited. Team managers were chasing down the rebounds.

I grew up in Levittown NY...never heard that Walt Frazier was living there. Do you mean Levittown NY or Levittown PA or Willingboro (aka Levittown) NJ?

Reactions: Scarlet1984
I grew up in Levittown NY...never heard that Walt Frazier was living there. Do you mean Levittown NY or Levittown PA or Willingboro (aka Levittown) NJ?
I think I scanned the post to quickly and completely missed the sarcasm of what I replied to. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Scarlet1984
You never saw his Rolls in the car port of a three bedroom ranch?

I know Jeter had a third floor walk up in Bayonne. That’s why all his NDAs used NJ as the governing laws.

Side note: I deliberately picked three famous bachelors who famously lived in Manhattan and then made an OBVIOUS joke that they lived in fairly generic places.

You never saw his Rolls in the car port of a three bedroom ranch?

I know Jeter had a third floor walk up in Bayonne. That’s why all his NDAs used NJ as the governing laws.

Side note: I deliberately picked three famous bachelors who famously lived in Manhattan and then made an OBVIOUS joke that they lived in fairly generic places.
It really wouldn't have surprised me ... as I knew of quite a few people that lived there that were in very prestigious roles in Media, Corporations, etc. They used to bust on my neighbor all the time as to why he was living in Levittown NY. He just wanted a 'down-to-earth' good place to raise his kids....which is what it was in the 70s & early 80s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT