ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cold and Potentially Stormy (Snowy?) Pattern for 2nd half of January

Biggest mid-range signal this winter for a major winter storm for our area. The 1/16 event had an occasional run or two in days 7-9 showing a big storm (mostly on the Euro), but I don't think we ever saw more than 1 model at a time showing that and by the time I started the thread at 4+ days out, it was already looking wetter than white for 95/coast.

For this one, we've seen all 3 (Euro, GFS and CMC; UK only goes out 6 days) of the mid-range models showing some version of a major winter storm for the east coast over the past 2 days (we're at day 7+ now), although not on every run, but still it's a much stronger signal than for 1/16, which turned out to be a helluva winter storm for many - just not for most of us. When I say these models are showing a major storm, note that these runs show different details on who gets snow/rain and how much, although some outputs are snowmageddon for anywhere from GA to ME - and one model showed 6" of snow in the FL Panhandle, which I don't think I've ever seen before. But the only point of model runs at this stage is to see if there's a signal for a significant storm and there is - might not pan out, but the anticipation on the weather boards is the highest I've seen since Jan-16, this far out.

Models are also starting to see some chance of a minor/moderate clipper event next Tues/Weds. Could be a 1-2"/2-4" kind of event if some models are correct, with snow being heaviest north of 195 or maybe N of 78 (most of the precip will be north of the path, which could come close to CNJ). And the CFS long range forecast just said "not so fast" to the idea of a warm February. Will have to see on that one...

https://www.33andrain.com/topic/2046-weather-pattern-storm-threat-discussion-winter-21-22/page/289/
Still the biggest mid-range signal this winter for a major winter storm for our area and most of the east coast from AL/GA to New England. Models have bounced around a fair amount, which is typical 7 days out, but the fact that all 3 global models are showing big storms is unusual. A big storm somewhere in the east (somewhere between the Apps and offshore) is now looking likely, but a big snowstorm for us is still a fairly low probability, but it's certainly more likely than usual Note that most of the big storms we've ever had have shown up consistently as storms in the mid range.

I don't like bandying about snowfall maps this far out, but if anyone wants to see what snowmageddon looks like on a map, click the link for today's 18Z GFS - let's put it this way: it shows 16" for my house, which is less than half of what it shows for Charlotte. Of course the 12Z GFS shows nada for our area and a big snowstorm for eastern NC/SC to eastern New England, just missing us. That's what I mean about a big storm somewhere in the east, but not necessarily here.

https://www.33andrain.com/topic/204...n-winter-21-22/?do=findComment&comment=306430

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rurichdog
That predicted storm better show up or this thread has been a bust. ; )

Damn, dude!
Yeah.... The glacier receded about a foot so far. And now the possibility of another storm late this week. I need another week to recover.

Had to hand shovel a path about five feet wide up the drive. When the storm was over, snow depth was anywhere from 24" to 60" on this stretch. Waited a day to hit it. Had to shovel another similar route down to the basement to get the ATV w/plow out. But the snow was too deep to plow. ATV kept bottoming out.

Took three days to get heavy plows up to "clear" the roads. Gravel-base roads. With the daily thaw-freeze cycles, the going is still very dicey. Chains and 4WD make it possible.

Yeah.... The glacier receded about a foot so far. And now the possibility of another storm late this week. I need another week to recover.

Had to hand shovel a path about five feet wide up the drive. When the storm was over, snow depth was anywhere from 24" to 60" on this stretch. Waited a day to hit it. Had to shovel another similar route down to the basement to get the ATV w/plow out. But the snow was too deep to plow. ATV kept bottoming out.

Took three days to get heavy plows up to "clear" the roads. Gravel-base roads. With the daily thaw-freeze cycles, the going is still very dicey. Chains and 4WD make it possible.
You don’t have to get out go to work do you? That sounds crazy. And take care of yourself when shoveling- those snow totals are no joke.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
You don’t have to get out go to work do you? That sounds crazy. And take care of yourself when shoveling- those snow totals are no joke.
Retired. Most full-timers are retirees. But there are a few up on the mountain who work. We all tend to keep a vehicle down by our entrance gate, in a "winter parking" area. That's mostly accessible, shortly after a storm, thanks to the state and county DOTs. About a mile ride down on the ATV to the parking. Not for most. But we love it.

Reactions: RUPete
Wendy , a vivacious MILF divorcée from the Deli, just texted me that the potential snowstorm for next weekend is back on the table.
Wendy told me she gets pain in her back and her sciatica acts up if snow or rain is possible 5 days out.
So she looked at some models and the the most recent model trending is favorable for snow or mixing .
I told her to keep me advised and to load up on bread; turkey; ham and Mayo given the current supply chain issues

Wendy , a vivacious MILF divorcée from the Deli, just texted me that the potential snowstorm for next weekend is back on the table.
Wendy told me she gets pain in her back and her sciatica acts up if snow or rain is possible 5 days out.
So she looked at some models and the the most recent model trending is favorable for snow or mixing .
I told her to keep me advised and to load up on bread; turkey; ham and Mayo given the current supply chain issues
It has never been off the table, as every suite of the 3 longer range models (GFS, CMC and Euro) have shown major winter storms for somewhere Saturday, but with different tracks/impacts, which is not unusual 6-7 days out, but the key is they've all been showing a large storm. The GFS has generally been a big hit for SE New England, missing our area, while the Canadian has been showing a pretty big snowstorm for the last two run for our area and the Euro has been even further offshore than the GFS.

However, we're now just over 5 days out (from the 7 pm EST model inputs for 0Z), as precip would likely get to our area Friday night around midnight and last into Saturday afternoon and tonight's 0Z model runs, outlined below, have definitely taken a step towards our area being more likely to see significant snow on Saturday.
  • The GFS now, brushes the Jersey Shore/NYC with a minor snowfall and with heavy snows only 50-75 miles off the NJ coast (75 miles closer than the last run), but hammering eastern LI and SE New England.
  • The CMC is a major (8-14") snowstorm for most of our region.
  • The UK, which is now in range, is a little more offshore than the GFS (but big hit for E LI/New England)
  • Most interestingly, the Euro made a several hundred mile jump towards us with a moderate snowfall from 95 to the coast (minor NW of 95) and major snowstorm just 30 miles off the coast and for LI/CT and the rest of SE New England (1-2 feet for most of SE New England in this run)
  • Also, all of the ensemble mean runs for the GFS, CMC and Euro are showing at least moderate snow for our region, as they're clustered a bit NW of their operational run, which is often an indication that the models will trend in that direction (not a given though).
Still a very long way to go, but IMO, this becomes thread worthy if tomorrow's 12Z runs continue to show some hits and very close misses, i.e., I'd like to see more than 1 model showing significant snow for our area for two consecutive model suites (now and 12Z tomorrow) before starting a thread. Even so, this is a much more likely snowstorm for our area than the 1/16 event, which 5 days out (when I started that thread) was looking like mostly rain for the coast and 95 and snow well NW, but it could still be a complete miss out to sea like the UK or a minor snowfall for just the coast, like the GFS, or a more significant snowfall, but not a major one, like the Euro or a major snowfall like the CMC. The excitement on the weather boards is palpable, lol.

https://www.33andrain.com/topic/2046-weather-pattern-storm-threat-discussion-winter-21-22/page/372/

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/56684-january-28-30th-possible-noreaster/page/7/

Reactions: rurichdog
It has never been off the table, as every suite of the 3 longer range models (GFS, CMC and Euro) have shown major winter storms for somewhere Saturday, but with different tracks/impacts, which is not unusual 6-7 days out, but the key is they've all been showing a large storm. The GFS has generally been a big hit for SE New England, missing our area, while the Canadian has been showing a pretty big snowstorm for the last two run for our area and the Euro has been even further offshore than the GFS.

However, we're now just over 5 days out (from the 7 pm EST model inputs for 0Z), as precip would likely get to our area Friday night around midnight and last into Saturday afternoon and tonight's 0Z model runs, outlined below, have definitely taken a step towards our area being more likely to see significant snow on Saturday.
  • The GFS now, brushes the Jersey Shore/NYC with a minor snowfall and with heavy snows only 50-75 miles off the NJ coast (75 miles closer than the last run), but hammering eastern LI and SE New England.
  • The CMC is a major (8-14") snowstorm for most of our region.
  • The UK, which is now in range, is a little more offshore than the GFS (but big hit for E LI/New England)
  • Most interestingly, the Euro made a several hundred mile jump towards us with a moderate snowfall from 95 to the coast (minor NW of 95) and major snowstorm just 30 miles off the coast and for LI/CT and the rest of SE New England (1-2 feet for most of SE New England in this run)
  • Also, all of the ensemble mean runs for the GFS, CMC and Euro are showing at least moderate snow for our region, as they're clustered a bit NW of their operational run, which is often an indication that the models will trend in that direction (not a given though).
Still a very long way to go, but IMO, this becomes thread worthy if tomorrow's 12Z runs continue to show some hits and very close misses, i.e., I'd like to see more than 1 model showing significant snow for our area for two consecutive model suites (now and 12Z tomorrow) before starting a thread. Even so, this is a much more likely snowstorm for our area than the 1/16 event, which 5 days out (when I started that thread) was looking like mostly rain for the coast and 95 and snow well NW, but it could still be a complete miss out to sea like the UK or a minor snowfall for just the coast, like the GFS, or a more significant snowfall, but not a major one, like the Euro or a major snowfall like the CMC. The excitement on the weather boards is palpable, lol.

https://www.33andrain.com/topic/2046-weather-pattern-storm-threat-discussion-winter-21-22/page/372/

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/56684-january-28-30th-possible-noreaster/page/7/
The discussion on this on the americanwx board is interesting. I did get a good chuckle when the first Kuchera "clown maps" started surfacing on Saturday, but some of the model runs are starting to line up so this is indeed one to follow.

That predicted storm better show up or this thread has been a bust. ; )

not a total bust IMHO: (1) I believe it HAS been colder than usual? and (2) although NJ has been largely spared from these recent storms other areas in the overall REGION have been hit with snow.

my understanding from the OP was that it was a long-term trend forecast for the region (the eastern third of the country - not just Jersey). so, I'm not exactly sure that the long term forecast for the region was wrong (even though the snow may not have hit NJ in particular.

Last edited:
Keep a major eye out for the weekend. Wowza.

things can and will almost certainly change, however

The discussion on this on the americanwx board is interesting. I did get a good chuckle when the first Kuchera "clown maps" started surfacing on Saturday, but some of the model runs are starting to line up so this is indeed one to follow.
Agreed. And this morning's 6Z GFS/Euro-EPS were big hits for our area, as well as the 12Z GFS, which just came out, as well as the CMC. About to start a thread as we're now 4.5 days out and have a lot of model support for a potential snowstorm, although I think earthlight on 33andrain put it perfectly: that the setup is explosive, but fragile, meaning so many things could go wrong (could go inland a bit and bring a snow to rain scenario or could stay too far offshore, giving us maybe a glancing blow or a complete miss), depending on some fairly small changes in the evolution of the setup - where a small change in the angle of approach of the northern stream energy (still way offshore in the PacNW) can make large changes in the phasing of the 2 systems or the amplification of the trough as the storm comes up the coast. I think it's a given we're going to have a big storm, but it's nowhere near a given that we're going to have a major snowstorm here. But for people who enjoy this hobby and like snow, it's going to be fascinating to track and see how it evolves.

https://www.33andrain.com/topic/204...n-winter-21-22/?do=findComment&comment=307672

Last edited:
Agreed. And this morning's 6Z GFS/Euro-EPS were big hits for our area, as well as the 12Z GFS, which just came out, as well as the CMC. About to start a thread as we're now 4.5 days out and have a lot of model support for a potential snowstorm, although I think earthlight on 33andrain put it perfectly: that the setup is explosive, but fragile, meaning so many things could go wrong (could go inland a bit and bring a snow to rain scenario or could stay too far offshore, giving us maybe a glancing blow or a complete miss), depending on some fairly small changes in the evolution of the setup - where a small change in the angle of approach of the northern stream energy (still way offshore in the PacNW) can make large changes in the phasing of the 2 systems or the amplification of the trough as the storm comes up the coast. I think it's a given we're going to have a big storm, but it's nowhere near a given that we're going to have a major snowstorm here. But for people who enjoy this hobby and like snow, it's going to be fascinating to track and see how it evolves.
Fragile meaning so many things could go wrong? That is a matter of perspective - so many things could still go right (out to sea)!

Fragile meaning so many things could go wrong? That is a matter of perspective - so many things could still go right (out to sea)!
Yep, depends on your perspective - I was quoting one of the best mets out there and most mets and almost every poster on the weather boards wants snow...

not a total bust IMHO: (1) I believe it HAS been colder than usual? and (2) although NJ has been largely spared from these recent storms other areas in the overall REGION have been hit with snow.

my understanding from the OP was that it was a long-term trend forecast for the region (the eastern third of the country - not just Jersey). so, I'm not exactly sure that the long term forecast for the region was wrong (even though the snow may not have hit NJ in particular.

The wink at the end meant I was joking around. ; )

This isn't a forecast thread. It's a trending thread. You are on the wrong thread.

but why are you here? If you don’t want discussion until it’s “known” what the weather will be, just confused what brings you to this thread.

but why are you here? If you don’t want discussion until it’s “known” what the weather will be, just confused what brings you to this thread.
Don't you understand the difference in a trend and an actual forecast? Why are you here talking about a "wowza" storm when there are 3 threads on it already?

Don't you understand the difference in a trend and an actual forecast? Why are you here talking about a "wowza" storm when there are 3 threads on it already?

i certainly do. Never made a forecast: just said there’s a storm Saturday to keep an eye on.
Way too early to make a forecast but certainly time to recognize a trend. And I posted about the storm here before the specific thread was created

i certainly do. Never made a forecast: just said there’s a storm Saturday to keep an eye on.
Way too early to make a forecast but certainly time to recognize a trend. And I posted about the storm here before the specific thread was created
You certainly don't understand the difference! Go play on the storm thread.

Reactions: mikemarc1
You certainly don't understand the difference! Go play on the storm thread.

i certainly do.

Based on the TRENDS…keep an eye out for this weekend. Absolutely no idea of it will be rain, snow, or will miss..but a storm is threatening. That will be my last post on the storm on this thread…unless of course you respond.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
i certainly do.

Based on the TRENDS…keep an eye out for this weekend. Absolutely no idea of it will be rain, snow, or will miss..but a storm is threatening. That will be my last post on the storm on this thread…unless of course you respond.
Again a single day event isn't a trend. Especially when you have no idea what the hell is going to happen. I have a very high certainty that it's going to be in the mid 40s tomorrow but unlike you I'm not dumb enough to call that a trend. It's a one day event.

Reactions: bac2therac
Haven't done a pattern thread in awhile, but things are aligning pretty well from a teleconnections perspective to establish a colder and possibly stormier than normal pattern for the 2nd half of January and whenever that kind of pattern forms, there is a greater probability of above average snowfall. Have done a bunch of these threads over the years and more often than not they have delivered on increased snowfall for our area (but definitely not every time). As always, I'm not a meteorologist, but when quite a few mets are predicting such a pattern, it's worth paying attention to.

With regard to what the thinking is behind this, there are links to a post by an excellent young met on AmericanWx (brooklynwx99) and a video by WxRisk (DT), below. Essentially, the medium range models are showing a robust ridge forming in the PacNW, coupled with an Aleution upper level low, forcing the polar jet stream up and over that ridge and then spilling SE as a trough drawing cold air from Canada (via Siberia) into the eastern half of the US and then sometimes heading NE driving potential storms towards our area. In the GIF below, from brooklynwx99, you can see the persistent ridge at 500 mbar (mid-level of the atmosphere) near Alaska (in orange) and the persistent resulting trough in the eastern US (in blue).

From a global perspective, the MJO (Madden-Julian Oscillation), a measure of equatorial convection from the Indian Ocean through the Pacific, is what is fueling this jet stream combination above, as the MJO enters phases 8 and then 1. In turn, the "teleconnections" that are favorable for cold/snow in the eastern US are a -NAO, a -AO, a -EPO and a +PNA, all of which are predicted to occur starting by mid-January and lasting through the end of the month (at least). The video, in particular, describes the MJO and the teleconnections in much better detail with excellent graphics, so I won't bother to try to provide more detail here, as I can't do it better than WxRisk did anyway.

In addition, there will likely be a "split flow" with the subropical jet stream being active in sending moisture from the Pacific across the southern US, leading to potential "phasing" of the two jet streams, which is often a key ingredient in major east coast snowstorms - the AmericanWx post describes this in very nice detail with graphics.

The first chance for a signficant storm is about a week from now, with the various global models all showing a winter storm of some sort next Sunday, but differing greatly in the details, such that anything from nada to a significant winter storm is possible. And there are additional signals after that for significant winter storms. Way, way, way too early to predict anything specific for any location, but this is the kind of pattern that needs to be watched closely. So, let's see what happens.

I know some will say, big deal, it usually snows in January, which is true, but this is about potentially getting more snow than usual and a greater probability of a significant snowstorm or two. All through December the pattern was warm and hostile for cold/snow in the eastern US, as we had a persistent ridge in the SE US pumping warm air into our area, so we got no snow at all. This pattern starting changing in early January a bit, but was still not particularly favorable for cold and/or snow and we got nothing until Friday for most of us, while the big storm for VA/DE/MD and SENJ on Monday just shows that it's always possible to get snow in a bad to neutral pattern in winter.

https://www.33andrain.com/topic/204...n-winter-21-22/?do=findComment&comment=299689

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-1641686400-1642204800-1643068800-10-1.gif.8a35bafb6a66596ed073307034106d14.gif
Well it's now safe to say that this potentially cold and snowy pattern delivered on both in a big way. For 1/15 through 1/31 (assuming today's temp forecast is correct), the temperature departure at New Brunswick was -5.5F, which is way below normal vs. the long term mean of 30.7F over the past 125 years. The average temp of 25.2F places this 2nd half of the month as the 15th coldest over the past 125 years (if the temp for the 2nd half of Jan was for all of Jan), putting it in the top 12% of coldest Januarys.

And with regard to snowfall, New Brunswick got 8.0" of snow during the 2nd half of January (7" yesterday and 1" over the 3 small events on 1/16, 1/20 and 1/23), which is equivalent to 16" for a month and 16" of snow in NB in Jan would put this month into 14th place out of 116 Januarys in their record, which is in the top 12% of Januarys. On page 2 of the thread, I said getting into the top 25% of Januarys would certainly be considered pretty snowy (although for the purposes of below normal, normal, and above normal, it would be done by thirds, so an above normal snowfall would be any in the top 33% of seasons) and this is well above that.

http://climate.rutgers.edu/stateclim_v1/monthlydata/index.php?stn=286055&elem=snow

If I recall correctly, I've now done about 9 pattern threads (8 for cold/snowy and 1 for warm/not snowy) over the past several years looking ahead 2-3 weeks and I think all but one verified for temp vs. normal (much easier to predict) and 6 of 9 verified for snowfall, which, at 66%, indicates a pretty strong correlation of the pattern prediction to the outcome, as random guessing would have one be correct 33% of the time, given the 3 possible outcomes; see below for a summary - links are easy to find. None of this really means much, but it's fun for me to see how well the science does and the long range forecasters who make these pattern threads do (I'm not doing the work to predict the patterns, I'm just hopefully picking patterns that have support form the best pros on line.

Cold/snowy for 2nd half Feb 2021: was much colder/snowier than normal
Warm/not snowy Feb 2020: no snow whole month
Cold/snowy for 2nd half of jan 2019: was cold, but well below normal snow
Cold/snowy for early April 2018: was cold/snowy (4" snow on 4/3 - the storm I won my bet with @Knight Shift)
Cold/snowy pattern for March 2018: was cold and very snowy in March 2018
Cold/snowy pattern for early Feb 2018: was cold, but little snow
Cold/snowy pattern for early Jan 2018: was cold, but little snow
Cold/snowy pattern for mid-March 2017 was cold and very snowy

Last edited:
Well it's now safe to say that this potentially cold and snowy pattern delivered on both in a big way. For 1/15 through 1/31 (assuming today's temp forecast is correct), the temperature departure at New Brunswick was -5.5F, which is way below normal vs. the long term mean of 30.7F over the past 125 years. The average temp of 25.2F places this 2nd half of the month as the 15th coldest over the past 125 years (if the temp for the 2nd half of Jan was for all of Jan), putting it in the top 12% of coldest Januarys.

And with regard to snowfall, New Brunswick got 8.0" of snow during the 2nd half of January (7" yesterday and 1" over the 3 small events on 1/16, 1/20 and 1/23), which is equivalent to 16" for a month and 16" of snow in NB in Jan would put this month into 14th place out of 116 Januarys in their record, which is in the top 12% of Januarys. On page 2 of the thread, I said getting into the top 25% of Januarys would certainly be considered pretty snowy (although for the purposes of below normal, normal, and above normal, it would be done by thirds, so an above normal snowfall would be any in the top 33% of seasons) and this is well above that.

http://climate.rutgers.edu/stateclim_v1/monthlydata/index.php?stn=286055&elem=snow

If I recall correctly, I've now done about 9 pattern threads (8 for cold/snowy and 1 for warm/not snowy) over the past several years looking ahead 2-3 weeks and I think all but one verified for temp vs. normal (much easier to predict) and 6 of 9 verified for snowfall, which, at 66%, indicates a pretty strong correlation of the pattern prediction to the outcome, as random guessing would have one be correct 33% of the time, given the 3 possible outcomes; see below for a summary - links are easy to find. None of this really means much, but it's fun for me to see how well the science does and the long range forecasters who make these pattern threads do (I'm not doing the work to predict the patterns, I'm just hopefully picking patterns that have support form the best pros on line.

Cold/snowy for 2nd half Feb 2021: was much colder/snowier than normal
Warm/not snowy Feb 2020: no snow whole month
Cold/snowy for 2nd half of jan 2019: was cold, but well below normal snow
Cold/snowy for early April 2018: was cold/snowy (4' snow on 4/3 - the storm I won my bet with @Knight Shift)
Cold/snowy pattern for March 2018: was cold and very snowy in March 2018
Cold/snowy pattern for early Feb 2018: was cold, but little snow
Cold/snowy pattern for early Jan 2018: was cold, but little snow
Cold/snowy pattern for mid-March 2017 was cold and very snowy
Ok Snowstradamus, what sort of weather pattern do you see for the next few weeks?

Reactions: RU848789
ADVERTISEMENT