ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cutting the cord - Internet options?

Can you elaborate on how My Wifi TV works?
From their website it seems like your just paying them for the guide, and that you must separately subscribe with the content providers they offer. Is that the case? If so, what's the point?
No they provide the content once you subscribe. i paid $30 for 3 devices for the month and get every channel known to man including all the premium channels, sports packages, and even pay for view for no additional fee. They also provide a boatload of movies,

recommendations on where to find used router and modem and what brand?

Cable modems can be had on Ebay as mentioned above, or if you want a new one, they go on sale a lot, check slickdeals.net or a similar site for sale information. Most sales have new ones in the $50 range, can get cheaper used ones on ebay. Make sure you get a DOCIS 3.0 or 3.1 capable modem. Right now you only need 3.0, 3.1 will future proof you for a while, but it is more expensive.

Get your own router (no need for a modem with Fios)

Not necessarily true, depends on how his house is wired from the box FIOS terminates its fiber signal with in your garage or basement (ONT). If they run Ethernet cable from the ONT to your router then you do not need a modem, but if the run from the ONT to the inside of your house is over cable wires, then you need a Verizon modem to decode the signal and you can use your own router after that.

Anyone know anything about My Wifi TV? I paid for 1 month of service and so far it is great with every possible station imaginable. I'm streaming through a Fire Stick and plan on cutting the cord unless I hear/experience some negatives regarding My Wifi TV. Unfortunately Fios, Optimum, and Spectrum are not available in my area so probably have to stick with Infinity for internet.

Never used it or heard of it. This may work for you, but personally I'd be wary of it. Many of these IPTV providers that aren't the big ones mentioned don't have contracts with the TV providers and the content is provided by a bunch of different 3rd parties to protect themselves from lawsuits. Much like Kodi did for a while until the entertainment industry started setting its sights on them and shutting down some of the Kodi channels.

I pay $265 per month for Comcast Xfinity. It sucks, I'm often amazed at how much money I throw at cable/internet. That said i'm awful at technology and all the stuff people are talking about above, so I just keep doing it.
Me too thank god I make money where I don’t have to worry about stuff like this. Thank God for Rutgers and my job.

No they provide the content once you subscribe. i paid $30 for 3 devices for the month and get every channel known to man including all the premium channels, sports packages, and even pay for view for no additional fee. They also provide a boatload of movies,

We cut the cord last year. Was paying $265/month for Comcast internet, phone, and Digital Preferred tv. Now we pay them only $105/mo for Blast internet (not sure of the speed, but its fast.) Then we have PS Vue for $50/mo, so the total is $155/ mo instead of $265. Also have Amazon Prime so there is content there. Only thing we dont have now that I wish we did is History channel due to no Viacom channels on PS Vue. I have way less channels than before, but I have no problem finding something to watch. I have ESPiN, BTN, YES, SNY, FS1, CBS Sports, and others I cant remember now. Those are the ones I watch. One big thing I liked about PS Vue was that I get local network channels also. Only other streaming service I found when I switched that had them was Youtube tv. I don't honestly remember why I picked PS Vue over yttv, but it has been a pleasant experience. I wish I switched earlier

We use Fire sticks on newerTVs, but I have a couple of old ones that need composite wire hookups, so those have Roku Express+. That's the only one I could find with that hookup unless I bought fire sticks and adapters for them.

I recommend doing a Google search about the streaming services. I did PS Vue vs Yttv vs sling vs etc. Did all the services in one search, and found very recent articles to when I did it that had latest channel lineups, prices and expected future channels. Well worth the time to do the search.

Also, PSV gives everyone their own profile with their favorite channels and own DVR that does not delete recorded shows after 30 days like some services do.

Cable modems can be had on Ebay as mentioned above, or if you want a new one, they go on sale a lot, check slickdeals.net or a similar site for sale information. Most sales have new ones in the $50 range, can get cheaper used ones on ebay. Make sure you get a DOCIS 3.0 or 3.1 capable modem. Right now you only need 3.0, 3.1 will future proof you for a while, but it is more expensive.

Not necessarily true, depends on how his house is wired from the box FIOS terminates its fiber signal with in your garage or basement (ONT). If they run Ethernet cable from the ONT to your router then you do not need a modem, but if the run from the ONT to the inside of your house is over cable wires, then you need a Verizon modem to decode the signal and you can use your own router after that.

Never used it or heard of it. This may work for you, but personally I'd be wary of it. Many of these IPTV providers that aren't the big ones mentioned don't have contracts with the TV providers and the content is provided by a bunch of different 3rd parties to protect themselves from lawsuits. Much like Kodi did for a while until the entertainment industry started setting its sights on them and shutting down some of the Kodi channels.
They claim to have licensing contract for all of their content but I have not been able to independently verify that. Nonetheless, I have been told that even if they eventually face legal troubles that will not affect me other than discontinuation of the service. If true and since I am subscribing month to month I see no harm in continuing to use what so far has been an excellent product. Appreciate any feedback providing greater clarification or info.

I have Comcast only for internet now. It's been a year since cutting out cable TV and phones and I don't miss it. In September I signed on with YoutubeTV for college football season. I'm amazed at how much they provide for just $40 a month. I don't see why Comcast isn't trying to compete with that.

Came across this tweet today in light of the big Apple announcements.
Found it pretty funny.

I got Spectrum internet for like $50/month and Hulu. It’s way cheaper than what I was paying for Fios and the product is way better as well. The features blow away regular cable. Wish I did this sooner.

Oh ya, plus internet subscription.

No idea on total cost.
I'm still trying to remember the password to my personal laptop.

No way I can manage all those log-ins.
Gave up trying to save $10-30/month. Verizon FIOS TV/Internet is completely worth it. Only downside is having a bunch of channels nobody ever watches.

Reactions: rucoe89
Gave up trying to save $10-30/month. Verizon FIOS TV/Internet is completely worth it. Only downside is having a bunch of channels nobody ever watches.
Most towns with FIOS also have cablevision or Comcast, thus creating a little competition. I dropped the $200 cable tv package and now pay around $120 with internet and Hulu live. No more dealing with the cable tv packages and negotiating deals.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Most towns with FIOS also have cablevision or Comcast, thus creating a little competition. I dropped the $200 cable tv package and now pay around $120 with internet and Hulu live. No more dealing with the cable tv packages and negotiating deals.
I have not looked in a while, but I don't think we are over $140 with FIOS internet and TV.

the $20/mo option looks pretty good......they have an overwhelming number of channels

do you get BTN with My wi fi tv?

And bt cutting the cord, you don’t have to subscribe to all those channels. Thru DirectTVNow, PS Vue you can search most of the content on those apps. The beauty of streaming is if I need more, I just go to the app and don’t have to pay more. I have less than 3 apps I generally use. Just an initial onetime login of my streaming provider. I will never go back to cable because I watch most content out of the house. Try that with cable.

I have Comcast only for internet now. It's been a year since cutting out cable TV and phones and I don't miss it. In September I signed on with YoutubeTV for college football season. I'm amazed at how much they provide for just $40 a month. I don't see why Comcast isn't trying to compete with that.

like most mature cable/internet companies, and most college athletic depts, Comcast concentrates on bleeding their loyal base for more and more and more and more, not competing.

that said, Comcast and all wired cable/internet should be regulated monopoly utilities.

as with water or natural gas or electricity or even roads, the infrastructure itself makes competition illogical as a means to impose market forces on the industry, as 1st off, there isn't room on the pole for 4 or 6 or 8 different wired cable/internet companies.

and more importantly, since the infrastructure itself, (building, upgrading, maintaining), constitutes much of the cost of delivery, every competing company would mean less customers per infrastructure to financially support it, thus competition actually drives costs up considerably per customer.

thus the logical approach, is to have a fully regulated monopoly provider where rates are regulated as well, and based on actual cost of delivery, not maxing shareholder value.

all that said, remember that You Tube has zero delivery costs. only programmer costs.

as for cable tv as we knew it, it's the bundle that's pushed your cost through the roof.

the moment the govt, (legislative or regulatory), mandates ala carte, your cable bill drops like a rock.

thus big cable and programmers pays big money to legislators and regulators to make sure that doesn't happen.

would love for there to be a great internet option to regular cable, but there isn't yet.

Directv Now doesn't carry the local CBS where i live, so no NFL, NCAA, PGA, etc. (neither does one of the other big over the top cable internet video providers)

Playstation and You Tube don't really have DVRs, and won't let you fast forward thru commercials on their pretend DVR, at least once the "On Demand" version gets posted.

commercial after commercial makes everything unwatchable for me, since my 1st vcr in 1980. (and no slo mo or frame by frame, also a deal killer since my 1st beta vcr).

on top of that, the whole operation is very very clunky vs old school cable.

that said, Comcast's X1 is total sht as well, as it's basically a streaming service too, very unreliable, very clunky, and no real DVR either.

also remember, that if you didn't need to get your "video" service over your internet, you'd never need more than $30 mo internet, if that, unless you're a gamer.

young people today will be happy with their $90 mo internet bill and their $70 mo over the top video service, with no real dvr and clunky operation, because they will never know how great their $30 mo internet bill with $30 mo cable bill should be, while they could own their own DVRs they buy for $150 apiece and no monthly costs, that work 10 times better than that total POS fake dvr your cable or over the top service is pushing.

would love for there to be a great internet option to regular cable, but there isn't yet.

Directv Now doesn't carry the local CBS where i live, so no NFL, NCAA, PGA, etc. (neither does one of the other big over the top cable internet video providers)

Playstation and You Tube don't really have DVRs, and won't let you fast forward thru commercials on their pretend DVR, at least once the "On Demand" version gets posted.

commercial after commercial makes everything unwatchable for me, since my 1st vcr in 1980. (and no slo mo or frame by frame, also a deal killer since my 1st beta vcr).

on top of that, the whole operation is very very clunky vs old school cable.

that said, Comcast's X1 is total sht as well, as it's basically a streaming service too, very unreliable, very clunky, and no real DVR either.

also remember, that if you didn't need to get your "video" service over your internet, you'd never need more than $30 mo internet, if that, unless you're a gamer.

young people today will be happy with their $90 mo internet bill and their $70 mo over the top video service, with no real dvr and clunky operation, because they will never know how great their $30 mo internet bill with $30 mo cable bill should be, while they could own their own DVRs they buy for $150 apiece and no monthly costs, that work 10 times better than that total POS fake dvr your cable or over the top service is pushing.

Young people dont watch tv too much. Very used to streaming online anything.

I pay 70$ internet. $35 YouTube TV. $105 a month and dont need anything else. Live sports can be dvrd on YouTube tv and fast forward through commercials since they arent on demand. Not everyone needs a dvr.

My parents are in their 70s and pay $250 a month for cable, cable boxes, internet, phone' and remotes. They dont want to change and I wont force them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section124
Young people dont watch tv too much. Very used to streaming online anything.

I pay 70$ internet. $35 YouTube TV. $105 a month and dont need anything else. Live sports can be dvrd on YouTube tv and fast forward through commercials since they arent on demand. Not everyone needs a dvr.

My parents are in their 70s and pay $250 a month for cable, cable boxes, internet, phone' and remotes. They dont want to change and I wont force them.

your thinking you are getting some kind of good deal with that is testament to their managing unbelievably low expectations.

young people have never watched tv as much.

then they get older, marry, and watch tv more.

it's not a generational thing, it's an age thing.

cable used to be $6.95 mo for 41 channels.

cable internet was $30 mo when it first came out.

$250 mo is blatant robbery, with the robbers paying off who should be the cops.

our current cable/wired internet situation is a result of the total failure of govt to do it's job.

what we have is essentially unregulated monopolies or duopolies, of must have utilities.

on top of that, we have the forced video bundle, which is basically the poster child of anti competitive behavior and collusion.

on top of that, we are forced to rent DVRs or virtual DVRs from providers at a ridiculous cost for very inferior equipment/technology, and even forced to rent the channel switching equipment.

Obama's last FCC tried to unlock the box and the DVR, but got stabbed in the back by a Dem commissioner as well as the anti consumer Pubs, so Dems get bought off too. just not nearly as much.

that said, not even all the Dem regulators or legislators dare take on the owners or funders of all three major news channels.

dominant media power to bury you at will, on top of massive bribery, not to mention the small fact that big cable/internet controls the internet way more than any other entity, is more power than most want to go against.

Is the above a legal site?
No. A site that calls itself "my hosting live" is telling you all they're doing.

You're paying $35/month or whatever for someone to funnel you the illegal streams/Kodi-like service.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT