ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

First legacy domino to fall. Scroll through the thread for more details.

Question is, is it true?

Converting ICE plants to EV was a known plan, so is this, that?

‘Our UK production facilities are being reconfigured to produce JLR’s next-generation electric models, this includes the stampings operation at Castle Bromwich which will be expanded to manufacture body panels for all our brands.

‘Jaguar will begin an exciting new era as a pure-electric modern luxury brand with production commencing at our Solihull facility from 2025.”

First legacy domino to fall. Scroll through the thread for more details.

You love to click your heels at the death of legacy automakers, but be better on posting wild, unfounded speculation.

iu

Read through some of the comments to the Jaguar speculatory twitter post above and, unsurprisingly found a bunch of Teslerati celebrating the speculative news while claiming Tesla brought down Jaguar.

I mean, Yay? Seriously? 🙄

Just another sad example of the embarrassing lack of self-awareness exemplified by the Teslerati. Celebrating the potential loss of a consumer option, loss of an iconic brand, loss of people's jobs? Not a good look, Teslerati. Not a good look at all.

I don't know, it could just be recency bias... But it sure seems like the Teslarati have officially overtaken both the Apple fanbois and the recent whacky obsessive political cultists as being the most deeply delusional collection of absolute douchenozzles on the planet.

What combination of personality disorders leads people to behave that way? I don't get it.

We're all just imperfect humans. But cultists have to be among the most imperfect.

You guys are clinging to your VCRs and Kodak film. I predicted a slew of bankruptcies, mergers, and/or acquisitions years ago. More to come. Not cheering. Just pointing out reality. There's a penalty for sitting on your hands and wishing EVs would go away.

More to come? Is there a first somewhere?
That X post @BellyFullOfWhiteDogCrap was worse than a politician's X post. Full of BS, lies, inaccuracies. Hook, line, sinker, baby! Have pointed out that ultimately competition is a good thing, and having multiple suppliers spurns not only compeition by innovation. God forbid if the world is subjected to having to drive Teslas only. I'll switch to horses before I drive one of those abominations of a vehicle.

EV's will never be more than a small % of cars on the road in this country (and they are) until the batteries become much cheaper, much more reliable in cold weather, and able to charge in the same time and space as a gas powered car.

There are 25MM gas stations in America. There are 160K charging stations, including super charging stations.

It's decades from EV's being a truly viable option for the majority of Americans. At best.

You guys are clinging to your VCRs and Kodak film. I predicted a slew of bankruptcies, mergers, and/or acquisitions years ago. More to come. Not cheering. Just pointing out reality. There's a penalty for sitting on your hands and wishing EVs would go away.

Terrible analogy. More like we're clinging to Sony and Nikon.

Why don't you wait to toot your horn until such things actually happen in real life ...not just on Twix.

And Jaguar had an EV years ago in its small lineup of luxury cars, long before you were saying dumb shit like "demise of legacy auto." If this rumor has any truth, it won't be because of electrification so much as the slow journey into obscurity of a once-proud luxury brand.

Reactions: mildone
To be fair, Belly is probably just trying to distract from the utter wrongness of one of his other common overstatements:

"Poor," lol. From the head and shoulders autonomy leader and untouchable trailblazer.

Dog crap really doesn't sit well in the stomach and unfortunately gets projectile-vomited for all to see.

Reactions: Knight Shift
To be fair, Belly is probably just trying to distract from the utter wrongness of one of his other common overstatements:

"Poor," lol. From the head and shoulders autonomy leader and untouchable trailblazer.

Dog crap really doesn't sit well in the stomach and unfortunately gets projectile-vomited for all to see.
They didn't test Porsche, unless I missed it. But I would rate them poor (or worse than poor).

I have yet to try out the Cayenne's assisted cruise control, whatever they call it. From what I read, that actually works decently. Is not partial self-driving so much as just adapting to the speed of the car ahead or whatever. They have a more advanced system, but I don't think I optioned it (would never use it).

I had the 911 GTS for a bit over 4 years and never once tried to enable its standard cruise control - don't even know how. I'm clearly not in the target market for driver assistance features. I'll probably use cruise control in the Cayenne on a trip to FL later in the Spring, especially when going through Virginia and DC since radar detectors are illegal there. But otherwise, nah.

Anyway, my experience with the so-called "collision avoidance systems" in both the GT3 and Cayenne are that they totally suck, both cars engaging it at times when it's utterly unnecessary and potentially dangerous to engage. I can disable it entirely in the GT3 by putting the car into track mode. Can't fully disable it in the Cayenne, though, at least not more than temporarily.

Sucks. I hate it. Is right up there with auto stop-start on my list of most-hated car "features".

Reactions: fsg2
EV's will never be more than a small % of cars on the road in this country (and they are) until the batteries become much cheaper, much more reliable in cold weather, and able to charge in the same time and space as a gas powered car.

There are 25MM gas stations in America. There are 160K charging stations, including super charging stations.

It's decades from EV's being a truly viable option for the majority of Americans. At best.

Toyota never bit hard on the admin's EV command and control agenda (1/2 of cars emission free by 2030 - 2/3 by 2032). Now that their competition is "in the tent" so to speak, Toyota is ready to make gains picking-up the slack left by others. So somebody other than China (as usual) gets a boost.

The old electrical infrastructure is a decaying mess and the new one is a con job that only helps China and the US radicals who uniformly push the green con.

Those are all huge tells that were/are really pretty obvious. Alas US is smothered in co-ordinated con job "news" from Boston Barbies and pudge bois

"It’s also become clear that the automotive industry and the Biden administration, which set its own target for half of new U.S. vehicle sales to be electric by 2030, overestimated the willingness of consumers to adopt a new technology without a reliable and prevalent charging infrastructure."

Terrible analogy. More like we're clinging to Sony and Nikon.

Why don't you wait to toot your horn until such things actually happen in real life ...not just on Twix.

And Jaguar had an EV years ago in its small lineup of luxury cars, long before you were saying dumb shit like "demise of legacy auto." If this rumor has any truth, it won't be because of electrification so much as the slow journey into obscurity of a once-proud luxury brand.
Rumor's of Ford's EV Death is greatly exaggerated. Ford was legacy automaker making EVs to adopt NACS standard. Big things ahead. Haters gonna hate. It does no good to cheer for another companies demise in the EV space. Competition is good.

More on Ford and their concern about BYD-contrary to what someone here said, they are not abandoning EV plans, but instead refocusing their efforts to smaller, cheaper EVs:

This potential threat is precisely why Ford recently shifted gears – focusing on smaller, cheaper EVs – and has been secretly developing a low-cost EV and platform in a project led by former Tesla exec Alan Clarke. At the same time, Ford is also planning on potentially delaying the launch of select other EVs as it shifts its focus, too.

Last edited:
Rumor's of Ford's EV Death is greatly exaggerated. Ford was legacy automaker making EVs to adopt NACS standard. Big things ahead. Haters gonna hate. It does no good to cheer for another companies demise in the EV space. Competition is good.

More on Ford and their concern about BYD-contrary to what someone here said, they are not abandoning EV plans, but instead refocusing their efforts to smaller, cheaper EVs:

This potential threat is precisely why Ford recently shifted gears – focusing on smaller, cheaper EVs – and has been secretly developing a low-cost EV and platform in a project led by former Tesla exec Alan Clarke. At the same time, Ford is also planning on potentially delaying the launch of select other EVs as it shifts its focus, too.

But do American consumers want a tiny car like the Seagull no matter how inexpensive? The BYD Seagull might sell in huge numbers overseas. I’m skeptical it will do so here, at least anytime soon, unless there’s a recession or unless tech-driven job loss accelerates sooner than expected.

Shocking that mainstream media runs with this. Cybertruck rusting? Is it true? Who cares! Print it.

This is surface contamination from Cybertrucks that were transported by rail.. Iron dust from trains getting imbedded in surface and rusting.
This is not the same stainless steel as your grill. Tesla spent 4 years developing this unique alloy. Do you really think it wasn't tested?
No, that's just somebody's hypothesis. Tesla used an alloy with high hardness and therefore had to compromise a bit on corrosion resistance. All stainless steel alloys have unique properties which is why alloys are created in the first place. From what I am hearing this alloy will show some surface oxidation with certain exposures. The term "stainless" isn't literal....don't leave corrosive material like bird droppings on it and expect it not to leave a mark. I don't consider it a big deal but some will be disappointed. Did Tesla compromise too much on corrosion resistance? Time will tell.

No, that's just somebody's hypothesis. Tesla used an alloy with high hardness and therefore had to compromise a bit on corrosion resistance. All stainless steel alloys have unique properties which is why alloys are created in the first place. From what I am hearing this alloy will show some surface oxidation with certain exposures. The term "stainless" isn't literal....don't leave corrosive material like bird droppings on it and expect it not to leave a mark. I don't consider it a big deal but some will be disappointed. Did Tesla compromise too much on corrosion resistance? Time will tell.
And also handprints that look like crap. But hey, you can take you $100K Cybertruck and wrap it in plastic to solve all these problems. Another reason to not touch CT, besides it being ugly.

Tesla owners that fail to acknowledge these issues have their heads in the sand or up their posterior regions. Fanboys with cognitive dissonance.

Reactions: RUDeac

Misleading headline as usual. (make sure to put "Tesla" in the headline to get those clicks)

The test was not for the actual capabilities of the ADAS systems. It was only for car's ability to monitor driver attentiveness while using ADAS. And, IIHS noted "the two Tesla systems tested used software that proceeded the company's latest software update in December". The driver attentiveness issue that NHTSA took issue with was updated 3 months ago.

Jim Farley of Ford chimed in stating "we do not agree with IIHS's findings".

If we're talking about ADAS capabilities, Tesla's FSD V12 is leaps and bounds ahead of any other system, and the current version has all the driver nags that NHTSA insisted on.

And, BTW, what a stupid test. If IIHS is concerned about safety, why not test the capabilities of each ADAS to inform consumers what the systems can and can't do safely.

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
And also handprints that look like crap. But hey, you can take you $100K Cybertruck and wrap it in plastic to solve all these problems. Another reason to not touch CT, besides it being ugly.

Tesla owners that fail to acknowledge these issues have their heads in the sand or up their posterior regions. Fanboys with cognitive dissonance.

My daughter's softball coach just got a Cybertruck after owning Teslsas for years. He pointed out the fingerprint issue. He said its like when stainless refridgerators first came out and you couldn't keep fingerprints off of them. He was considering wrapping it anyway, but is still up in the air.

I will swallow my pride and acknowledge CT gets fingerprints. No other vehicle is subject to this devastating flaw. Shame on Tesla engineers.

Toyota never bit hard on the admin's EV command and control agenda (1/2 of cars emission free by 2030 - 2/3 by 2032). Now that their competition is "in the tent" so to speak, Toyota is ready to make gains picking-up the slack left by others. So somebody other than China (as usual) gets a boost.

The old electrical infrastructure is a decaying mess and the new one is a con job that only helps China and the US radicals who uniformly push the green con.

Those are all huge tells that were/are really pretty obvious. Alas US is smothered in co-ordinated con job "news" from Boston Barbies and pudge bois

"It’s also become clear that the automotive industry and the Biden administration, which set its own target for half of new U.S. vehicle sales to be electric by 2030, overestimated the willingness of consumers to adopt a new technology without a reliable and prevalent charging infrastructure."

Yet another tired old-man right-wing conspiratorial diatribe. Seriously man, **** the **** off already. Take this to the CE thread.

My daughter's softball coach just got a Cybertruck after owning Teslsas for years. He pointed out the fingerprint issue. He said its like when stainless refridgerators first came out and you couldn't keep fingerprints off of them. He was considering wrapping it anyway, but is still up in the air.

I'm interested to hear about his experience with the vehicle overall - especially drive-by-wire. I believe this is the first production vehicle to use this technology.

I may disagree with you about Tesla vehicles, but there's no question competition is good. Plus as an American company, I'll always root for Ford to do well in the EV space.

I may disagree with you about Tesla vehicles, but there's no question competition is good. Plus as an American company, I'll always root for Ford to do well in the EV space.
I don't dislike Tesla, I just find too many things about their vehicles that prevent me from seriously consider buying one of their vehicles. Kind of like my feelings about other car brands such as Kia or Toyota. But different strokes for different folks.

As for Ford, time will tell if their strategy works. I hope they keep up on improvements to the F150 Lightning. Over in the Lightning Forums, the very large majority of people love the vehicle. Many (including me) consider it the best vehicle they have owned. One thing I do hear about Teslas is that the driving experience is excellent, according to their owners.

Yet another tired old-man right-wing conspiratorial diatribe. Seriously man, **** the **** off already. Take this to the CE thread.
While I fully agree that we don't need politics in this thread (or anywhere on the FB forum), don't you think you might have more success by being polite when you ask, rather than insulting?

Just seems like polite works better than insulting when I actually want something from someone. Not sure being insulting, and I'm waaaaaaaay better at it than you, no offense, has ever really caused anybody to adhere to an otherwise reasonable request.

Also, I can guess at the first obscured expletive. But it seems there may be some ambiguity with the second. I mean, if it's "hell", which is my first guess, then the asterisks are unwarranted, no?

Excellent article, thanks for posting.

So true.

There are zero gas stations in people's homes.
There are thousands of EV charging stations in people's homes.
98% of driving will never require me to use public charging and will be met by charging at home. I never have to pay for "fuel," and my home is solar-powered. They are very attractive option for a lot of people who have charging at home.
So true.

And agree the charging infrastructure needs to improve before widespread adoption. It will get there. There are many models of EVs that are less expensive than ICE vehicles.
So true.

There are zero gas stations in people's homes.
There are thousands of EV charging stations in people's homes.
98% of driving will never require me to use public charging and will be met by charging at home. I never have to pay for "fuel," and my home is solar-powered. They are very attractive option for a lot of people who have charging at home.
So true.
this flex again lol...but congrats on your niche privilege
And agree the charging infrastructure needs to improve before widespread adoption. It will get there. There are many models of EVs that are less expensive than ICE vehicles.
So true.
What about the electrical grid overload if we "get there?" Does child labor exploitation in EV battery industry concern you?

this flex again lol...but congrats on your niche privilege

What about the electrical grid overload if we "get there?" Does child labor exploitation in EV battery industry concern you?
Privilege? Moi? Excuse me, and let me put down my soy latte and think about that. Ha, ha. But yes, I don't know the percentages, but guessing over 50% of drivers likely don't live in private homes with availability of charging. We did not buy the EV Lightning to save the world. We bought it because the technology was really cool, it's fast and fun to drive, and we had always wanted/needed a pickup truck. The benefit of fuel savings is also huge. I hated going to the gas station, especially in NJ where you have to wait for some dude to take your credit card and pump your gas.

They will figure out the grid eventually. When, who knows?

Child labor exploitation occurs in all industries. Shall we start making a list? Because we would probably have to stop wearing a large percentage of the clothing we wear. I don't get caught up in that drama.

Happy Friday to ya!

Privilege? Moi? Excuse me, and let me put down my soy latte and think about that. Ha, ha. But yes, I don't know the percentages, but guessing over 50% of drivers likely don't live in private homes with availability of charging. We did not buy the EV Lightning to save the world. We bought it because the technology was really cool, it's fast and fun to drive, and we had always wanted/needed a pickup truck. The benefit of fuel savings is also huge. I hated going to the gas station, especially in NJ where you have to wait for some dude to take your credit card and pump your gas.

They will figure out the grid eventually. When, who knows?

Child labor exploitation occurs in all industries. Shall we start making a list? Because we would probably have to stop wearing a large percentage of the clothing we wear. I don't get caught up in that drama.

Happy Friday to ya!
Keep the dream alive Knighty. Have a nice weekend.

I'm interested to hear about his experience with the vehicle overall - especially drive-by-wire. I believe this is the first production vehicle to use this technology.

Munro Live just posted their 1st video in their CT teardown series. Nothing actually torn down yet, but a good walkthrough.
Munro bought his wife the R1T, the shop owns a Lightning, and they just got their hands on the CT. Unfortunately, they're only doing a teardown of the CT (teardowns are expensive), but should have some interesting comparisons of the top 3 EV pickups nonetheless.
Munro called The Lightning "The best workman's truck", and the Cybertruck "The best sportsman truck"

Munro Live just posted their 1st video in their CT teardown series. Nothing actually torn down yet, but a good walkthrough.
Munro bought his wife the R1T, the shop owns a Lightning, and they just got their hands on the CT. Unfortunately, they're only doing a teardown of the CT (teardowns are expensive), but should have some interesting comparisons of the top 3 EV pickups nonetheless.
Munro called The Lightning "The best workman's truck", and the Cybertruck "The best sportsman truck"

What does he define as a sportsman, exactly?

Reactions: jtung230
Someone devoid of all aesthetic sense.
Incorrect. It’s more for people that only take their truck to drag race tracks.

ETA I disagree with @Knight Shift taht the Lighting is fun to drive. It has great acceleration but it’s the size of a boat with terrible turning radius. When you do drive it aggressively, I feel like I’m going to slide out of the seat. Never really appreciated a sports seat until I have a car with that much power.

Last edited:
Incorrect. It’s more for people that only take their truck to drag race tracks.

ETA I disagree with @Knight Shift taht the Lighting is fun to drive. It has great acceleration but it’s the size of a boat with terrible turning radius. When you do drive it aggressively, I feel like I’m going to slide out of the seat. Never really appreciated a sports seat until I have a car with that much power.
I dunno... I had a lot of fun driving a rented extended (both length and height-wise) cargo van for several hours. And I had a summer job where I wound up getting to drive some fairly large trucks and that was fun, too. I think I mostly have fun driving just about anything. Although for sure there are different degrees of such fun, can't argue that.

Anyway, I get what you're saying, especially about why sports seats are helpful in performance driving. Even bad sports seats kinda suck. With them, you always wind up wedging your knee against the door or the console during hard cornering, which is less than ideal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT