ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Guitar / Guitarist Appreciation Thread

Good luck getting there. State of emergency declared in NYC.
I see that. I’m hoping the trains into Penn Station are ok this evening. It looks like the real heavy stuff in NYC was this morning. On radar , it looks like the heavy stuff is just to the east of Manhattan. No alerts with NJ Transit so far, we’ll see what happens.

Reactions: Kbee3
I never held a V but I could see it being more of a standing guitar
Sitting with a V could make the LP look comfortable.
I'd like to try an SG since people often like the ergonomics of that one if the were sketchy with a LP

I think most people would probably say that you can't easily play a Flying V sitting down, but Albert King did it for a lot of his career and seemed to not suck. :) If you do play one sitting down you definitely have to play it off your left leg (if you're a right-handed player).

Definitely more of a standing guitar, though, for sure.

I was at MSG to see The Tedeschi Trucks Band last night. A fantastic night of music. Lukas Nelson opened with his band and he was very good. Kind of a mix of soul based country rock/folk rock. TTB was fantastic as usual. The band can seemlessly go to so many different places musically, from blues-rock to jazz-rock to beautiful ballads with a gospel feel. The playing and singing is absolute top shelf. It was musical bliss for me. Below is a snippet featuring Derek Trucks covering Jeff Beck’s “Bolero” which segues into “Freeway Jam”

I was at MSG to see The Tedeschi Trucks Band last night. A fantastic night of music. Lukas Nelson opened with his band and he was very good. Kind of a mix of soul based country rock/folk rock. TTB was fantastic as usual. The band can seemlessly go to so many different places musically, from blues-rock to jazz-rock to beautiful ballads with a gospel feel. The playing and singing is absolute top shelf. It was musical bliss for me. Below is a snippet featuring Derek Trucks covering Jeff Beck’s “Bolero” which segues into “Freeway Jam”
Derek Trucks did an excellent version of Goodbye Pork Pie Hat in tribute to Jeff Beck at the Crossroads Guitar Festival.

Came across an old Ted Talk from years ago by bass player Victor Wooten (Bela Fleck and the Flecktones). I remembered seeing it years ago and I always remembered it (its from when Ted Talks were still good).

He spoke about kids learning langauge freely as a more musical function than recognized, and that learning an instrument can follow similar impulses. It never mystified me that so many musicians couldn't read music because when I tried French Horn in 7th grade it instantly became unfun and felt like a block.

He reminded me of Tim Burton when he said "All kids can draw until school tells them they cant"

When Victor speaks you can tell he's speaking musically in an aware way

Victor playing - the audience is a little weird lol

Reactions: Kbee3
Came across an old Ted Talk from years ago by bass player Victor Wooten (Bela Fleck and the Flecktones). I remembered seeing it years ago and I always remembered it (its from when Ted Talks were still good).

He spoke about kids learning langauge freely as a more musical function than recognized, and that learning an instrument can follow similar impulses. It never mystified me that so many musicians couldn't read music because when I tried French Horn in 7th grade it instantly became unfun and felt like a block.

He reminded me of Tim Burton when he said "All kids can draw until school tells them they cant"

When Victor speaks you can tell he's speaking musically in an aware way

Victor playing - the audience is a little weird lol

Best bass player I've ever seen.

Reactions: ashokan
Best bass player I've ever seen.
I hear/read that a lot.

Fleck was born in NYC but his family spent summers up my way so he's kind of a local and played gigs around here pretty regular. I liked the Flecktones when I saw them (once).

Victor is one of those prodigees that makes things seem simple because they are for him.
Imagine asking Usain Bolt how to run as fast as him and he tells you how he "did it" - ok lol.

I got interested in learning guitar from listening to Victor. I knew I would be bad at it from my French Horn experience. My fine motor skills are vastly inferior to my gross motor skills. But from noodling around with guitar I found I could sing and that was kind of a shocker and more in line with my preferences

If you enjoy guitarists who have a strong country influence in their playing and who are absolutely great, please check out Chet Atkins, Merle Travis and Danny Gatton. All phenomenal players who I would put near the top of all time players.
I agree with all of them, and G-RUnit's mention of Glen Campbell too! For old school guys I would add Roy Clark and James Burton (he might be considered a little more rock and roll) and for younger country guys I think Brad Paisley and Keith Urban are terrific.

Reactions: RUGuitarMan
If you enjoy guitarists who have a strong country influence in their playing and who are absolutely great, please check out Chet Atkins, Merle Travis and Danny Gatton. All phenomenal players who I would put near the top of all time players.
Clarence White with a heavy bluegrass background.

Joe Walsh "Its all in the right hand" he says while high as a kite

There’s a lot of truth in what Joe is saying . Obviously both hands are important but the right hand (for right hand players) is often overlooked and is important, especially for keeping time/rhythm , varied picking techniques, etc. I know some who post here aren’t that fond of Eric Clapton as a player. I have always been a fan because of his playing style, he was one of the first rock guitarists to really bring that blues based “vocal” approach to his soloing. There are many technically advanced, dexterous, “fast” players. To me, the guitar as a “singing” instrument is what is inspiring. Below is a short clip of him explaining:

This is a very fascinating Rick Beato interview with this young virtuoso guitarist Matteo Mancuso. I’ve heard a little of his playing and while his style of playing isn’t exactly in my roots based musical world, he is an incredible player. Just from a technical and proficiency standpoint he has to be one of the very best in the world right now:

Tash Sultana - prodigy who plays 11 instruments well (not like someone who can say "Happy Birthday" in 11 languages). She's had issues but when she's on the beam she's like nobody else. She plays acoustic to start (show is MTV Unplugged Melbourne (she's Aussie). Goes turbo on the electric 4 minutes in.

If you never saw her go off..

Last edited:
Oh joy.
A friend called telling me he's got a ticket for me to the Dinosaur Jr. show at The Stone Pony this wednesday. J Mascis is one of my favorite guitarists.

Reactions: BossNJ
Lets not forget Robin Trower.
I've enjoyed his work since his early days in Procol Harum. Saw them many times...mostly at the Capital Theater in Passaic. His solo in the epic In Held Twas In I is one of my all-time favorites.

Back in’I Think’ 84- I was at a Jets pre season game with tickets from an IBM employee lottery- seats were at the 50 and about 5 rows back. Sitting with a lot of player family. Right after warmups- I see a huge crowd of fans screaming for autographs and I see long black curly hair- I’m figuring if it was Mark Gastineau- thins out and I go down- it is freaking Eddie Van Halen. My favorite band..,by the time I get to the rail- everyone else is gone and it it is just the two of us. So- I ask, what are you guys doing now that David left…he tells me- Sammy Hagar. We end up talking 2-3 minutes and he signs my game day- but since I was there with tge girl I thought was the love of my life- I had him sign it to the both of us.
Of course , that doesn’t work out and my then wife @Deb” sees the AG to Keith and Eileen and makes me throw it out…

Last edited:
Funny..

yYl0iKO.jpeg

Back in’I Think’ 84- I was at a Jets pre season game with tickets from an IBM employee lottery- seats were at the 50 and about 5 rows back. Sitting with a lot of player family. Right after warmups- I see a huge crowd of fans screaming for autographs and I see long black curly hair- I’m figuring if it was Mark Gastineau- thins out and I go down- it is freaking Eddie Van Halen. My favorite band..,by the time I get to the rail- everyone else is gone and it it is just the two of us. So- I ask, what are you guys doing now that David left…he tells me- Sammy Hagar. We end up talking 2-3 minutes and he signs my game day- but since I was there with tge girl I thought was the love of my life- I had him sign it to the both of us.
Of course , that doesn’t work out and my then wife @Deb” sees the AG to Keith and Eileen and makes me throw it out…
I would have strongly protested the requested disposal.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Great interview by Rick Beato with George Benson. Some great conversational stories about his life and musical career. I became a fan of Benson in the 1970s when his jazz/pop album “Breezin” came out:

Operator is one of my all time favorite songs. I’ve been playing for 50+ years and to my ears and taste, Maury’s guitar on this song is among the best I’ve ever heard. As an aside, I heard Jim and Maury play at the Philly folk festival in August 1973, a month before the plane crash. So much talent… Here is Rick Beato’s discussion on the song.

Operator is one of my all time favorite songs. I’ve been playing for 50+ years and to my ears and taste, Maury’s guitar on this song is among the best I’ve ever heard. As an aside, I heard Jim and Maury play at the Philly folk festival in August 1973, a month before the plane crash. So much talent… Here is Rick Beato’s discussion on the song.

Great tune.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Excellent interview by Rick Beato with guitarist/singer/songwriter Warren Haynes. Haynes is among my most favorite Musicians. He is a masterclass player, very good singer/songwriter. He is a musician’s musician. All about music, humble, friendly and extremely knowledgeable:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT