ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I might have Covid

I’m waiting for my doctor to call back. Where would I get one of the mAbs? A hospital setting?
It is given by IV so probably a hospital or outpatient clinic.

However...since you are 39 and it sounds like you don't have any pre-existing conditions, it's very unlikely that you will be offered that treatment unless you do get sick enough to require hospitalization. Never hurts to ask, though.

I’m waiting for my doctor to call back. Where would I get one of the mAbs? A hospital setting?
Yes, as far as I know it's only administered in a hospital setting (it's an IV drug and the person I know got it at RWJ) and only under direction of their doctor, so your first step to talk to your doc is the right one. These mAbs are most effective for people with mild to moderate symptoms (before hospitalization and severe illness), which it appears you have.

Fantastic post doc. One minor quibble: indications are that infected/recovered patients are likely to be immune (with neutralizing antibodies and T-cells) well beyond 6 months. In fact, 17 years after being infected with SARS, most still have immune systems active against that virus - doesn't guarantee they would've been immune, but most virologists are thinking at least a few years of immunity for most recovered COVID patients. But getting the vaccine is still recommended for those folks, just in case, as there have been rare reinfections so far.

The quibble is fine. I know you do your research and are very thorough. I have not kept up on the latest and greatest on this subject. There is some thought that even if the antibodies have waned, the T cells recognize the virus and respond in a quicker fashion to eliminate the virus faster the second time around. Any thoughts?

Current research shows AT LEAST 6 months, and most experts believe it will last at least a year if not multiple years.

I sure hope so. Thanks for the update.

Yes, I’ve heard that before.

There is skin sensitivity associated with Covid. Before I tested positive, the skin on my left forearm and my right thigh was unusually sensitive. That has never happened to me before. It lasted a day or two. I have heard of other instances. This virus is a weird one.

Last edited:
I just got back from an appointment to renew my CDL in Oakland NJ , too many people coughing and sneezing including DMV personal, I haven’t gotten the Virus yet at least as far as I know, might of had it in January of 2020. I never used to pay attention to the little things that may suggest someone may be sick but now Forget About It. Had my wife spray me down with alcohol , take that Corvid.😷

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Got a pulse oximeter. I’m sitting at 98, so that’s good. I’ll check periodically.
Got one of these and when I told my Doc I did at my last checkup in June, he said by the time it starts telling me I have an issue, I'll already know it and have difficulty breathing. My only retort would be that the pulse oximeter would confirm it.

Got one of these and when I told my Doc I did at my last checkup in June, he said by the time it starts telling me I have an issue, I'll already know it and have difficulty breathing. My only retort would be that the pulse oximeter would confirm it.
Might want to find a new doctor. There are many many of stories about people showing up at hospitals with low oxygen levels who didn't report any difficulty breathing. Search for the term "happy hypoxic".

That said, probably most people would have symptoms - but they aren't always all that dramatic.

Reactions: redking
Might want to find a new doctor. There are many many of stories about people showing up at hospitals with low oxygen levels who didn't report any difficulty breathing. Search for the term "happy hypoxic".

That said, probably most people would have symptoms - but they aren't always all that dramatic.

Exactly. It defies medical logic, but it's hard to explain a patient with an pulse ox of 58% who is happily talking on the phone with no shortness of breath. Another WTF head scratcher amongst the Covid population.

If he said "by January" I might agree. He didn't, he said "between now and January," which is ambiguous to me. The reality is we're debating useless minutiae. I'd much rather get the thread back on track, but that's looking difficult with so many non-scientific posts being made, which could be made in CE board threads. Here's an attempt...

Was great to see a Japanese report showing that 98% of recovered, infected COVID patients still have neutralizing antibodies for the virus, which essentially means they have immunity. This is consistent with previous reports from Chinese and US scientists, as per below and is very encouraging, especially if immunity lasts 10+ years, which it very well might (as implied by people having the SARS antibodies 15+ years after infection). That means there's a real chance of eliminating this virus.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/12/03/national/coronavirus-immunity-study/

Excellent and important new paper from La Jolla Institute of Immunology by Shane Crotty's group, which has been the subject of a few posts by me and @UMRU and others over the last several months. Essentially, they followed over 180 recovered infected patients for 5-8 months, performing the most comprehensive assessment of ongoing immunological marker levels in patients, by profiling antibodies, B-cells, and T-cells in their immune systems over time.

They found durable responses for the vast majority of people and have postulated that immunity in these people could very well last for years and it's expected that immunity from vaccines would likely be similar - see the excerpt below from the Times article (the paper is in the 2nd link), especially the part in bold. This work builds on the work done by many others around the world in recent months (some of which is in the 3rd/4th links from old posts of mine).

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/17/health/coronavirus-immunity.html/??

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.15.383323v1.full.pdf

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/florida-halts-football-program-covid.202128/post-4726680

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...es-interventions-and-more.198855/post-4650144

How long might immunity to the coronavirus last? Years, maybe even decades, according to a new study — the most hopeful answer yet to a question that has shadowed plans for widespread vaccination.

Eight months after infection, most people who have recovered still have enough immune cells to fend off the virus and prevent illness, the new data show. A slow rate of decline in the short term suggests, happily, that these cells may persist in the body for a very, very long time to come.

The research, published online, has not been peer-reviewed nor published in a scientific journal. But it is the most comprehensive and long-ranging study of immune memory to the coronavirus to date.

“That amount of memory would likely prevent the vast majority of people from getting hospitalized disease, severe disease, for many years,” said Shane Crotty, a virologist at the La Jolla Institute of Immunology who co-led the new study.

The quibble is fine. I know you do your research and are very thorough. I have not kept up on the latest and greatest on this subject. There is some thought that even if the antibodies have waned, the T cells recognize the virus and respond in a quicker fashion to eliminate the virus faster the second time around. Any thoughts?

I sure hope so. Thanks for the update.

There is skin sensitivity associated with Covid. Before I tested positive, the skin on my left forearm and my right thigh was unusually sensitive. That has never happened to me before. It lasted a day or two. I have heard of other instances. This virus is a weird one.
Thanks. The last two things I posted on this are above: i) a Japanese study on this and ii) a paper/data from Crotty et al on durable antibody and T-cell responses lasting 6+ months (Chinese data is up to 9 months now, given they were exposed earlier). These data on infected/recovered patients and the data from vaccinated people showing even stronger levels of neutralizing antibodies/T-cells are all strongly indicative of probably at least a few years immunity for the vast majority of infected/recovered and vaccinated people. I'll take a look to see if anything new on this has been posted, but these studies are at least very, very encouraging of durable immune system responses.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Thanks. The last two things I posted on this are above: i) a Japanese study on this and ii) a paper/data from Crotty et al on durable antibody and T-cell responses lasting 6+ months (Chinese data is up to 9 months now, given they were exposed earlier). These data on infected/recovered patients and the data from vaccinated people showing even stronger levels of neutralizing antibodies/T-cells are all strongly indicative of probably at least a few years immunity for the vast majority of infected/recovered and vaccinated people. I'll take a look to see if anything new on this has been posted, but these studies are at least very, very encouraging of durable immune system responses.

How can one be certain the antibody response from 9 months after the initial infection is in fact from that initial infection? Since there’s so many assymptomatic cases, isn’t it very possible a person got sick originally..then again months after and it’s from that infection the antibodies have been shown?

Didn't realize you also had it - great to see you recovered and yeah, people dismissing this as the "flu" are simply in denial.
Thanks. For once in my life, I was ahead of a trend and actually had it in March. I was once of the first in Bucks County - so early that I had it a week before I even began to realize what it was. I most likely got it on March 12 - the day the Big East tournament (and others, I guess) were scrapped. Had a new dishwasher delivered and installed that day, and the delivery guys had New York plate on their truck and spoke with very 718-area-code accents at a time when COVID was really starting to rage in Queens. No one was wearing masks - it wasn't part of anyone's protocols yet - and they were pretty close talkers. Great guys, actually, but it probably did me no favors.

I always wonder about those two guys. We prepaid for the install, but had to cut them an extra check to install an outlet (the old one was hardwired, which is now against code) for like $130. They never cashed it. I hope they're OK and just lost the check.

I just got back from an appointment to renew my CDL in Oakland NJ , too many people coughing and sneezing including DMV personal, I haven’t gotten the Virus yet at least as far as I know, might of had it in January of 2020. I never used to pay attention to the little things that may suggest someone may be sick but now Forget About It. Had my wife spray me down with alcohol , take that Corvid.😷

Replace "wife" with "girlfriend" and you've just summed up my sophomore year.

Reactions: gmay8 and Zimm80
How can one be certain the antibody response from 9 months after the initial infection is in fact from that initial infection? Since there’s so many assymptomatic cases, isn’t it very possible a person got sick originally..then again months after and it’s from that infection the antibodies have been shown?
No such thing as "certainty" in infectious disease science for a new virus, but read the paper I posted above from Crotty, where they followed 180 infected/recovered patients for 5-8 months and profiled their immune responses over time and most of them had durable responses throughout. That's not by chance, plus there have only been a handful of documented reinfections out of millions of PCR-positive cases, so there's just about no way that could explain the responses.

Reactions: mikemarc1

Thanks, I appreciate the input, I check it anyway, which is currently reading 97. When you find the perfect general practitioner, let me know. This one is pretty laid back, maybe a little too much, lol,

No such thing as "certainty" in infectious disease science for a new virus, but read the paper I posted above from Crotty, where they followed 180 infected/recovered patients for 5-8 months and profiled their immune responses over time and most of them had durable responses throughout. That's not by chance, plus there have only been a handful of documented reinfections out of millions of PCR-positive cases, so there's just about no way that could explain the responses.

I’m sure you already saw this study, but this was a good one too

Reactions: RU848789

Thanks

Reactions: RU848789
Thanks, I appreciate the input, I check it anyway, which is currently reading 97. When you find the perfect general practitioner, let me know. This one is pretty laid back, maybe a little too much, lol,
My comment was meant to be sort of tongue-in-cheek. My own GP would probably say something similar, and I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't prescribe ivermectin for one thing. But he's good in other ways.

Even if I find the perfect one it won't do you much good unless you live up here in western NY!

Reactions: zgoru
This no smell or taste is driving me insane. I really hope it comes back.

Did you get corona'ed as well?
Yep. My daughter attended a Sweet 16. I guess that was the party favor? (Not funny)
Anyway, very mild cases.🙏 Her dad somehow dodged it. Thankfully everyone who got it also had mild cases.

Last edited:
Yep. My daughter attended a Sweet 16. I guess that was the party favor? (Not funny)
Anyway, very mild cases.🙏 Her dad somehow dodged it. Thankfully everyone who got it also had mild cases.
Word. Welcome to the other side! You should have antibody protection for a while.

Speak with your doctor about taking 81 mg of aspirin daily. There is an incidence of blood clotting in younger patients (you).

Do that and you might be laughed out of the ER along with your discharge papers. Where are you getting your information from?

I sent you a PM.

Ivermectin??? That’s for River Blindness. Made by Merck. Don’t you work for Merck as well? Are they using that to treat COVID?

I totally missed this. Ya, I’m at Merck. I had no idea we made it (it’s way off patent now).
It’s experimental and my doctor said he has seen good things with it. Can’t hurt!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT