ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Major Snowstorm for New England/Upstate NY Sunday; rain S of 78; some mix N of 78

love that americanwx weenies were so desperate that they were locked and loaded with a big snow event 10 days away...kiss of death

love that americanwx weenies were so desperate that they were locked and loaded with a big snow event 10 days away...kiss of death

Nobody is "locked and loaded" - but winter-starved folks are at least excited by the potential of the pattern. If you like snow, it's way better to have snow in the models 7 days out than to have 70F and sunny in the models 7 days out. 0Z GFS destroys our entire region next Sunday, while the CMC is a complete miss - that's why it's not worth getting worked up yet. This is simply about recognizing potential.

Dan Zarrow 101.5 hinting at a winter event this weekend but sayin its too early to discuss at this time.

lol, I assume very few people will look at this thread, given the title, so if the threat doesn't materialize then I haven't wasted people's time. If it starts to look serious by about Tuesday, I will start a thread, unless someone else does.
Well you know what they say about people who assume...
Made me look, any idea if NJ transit will run on time tomorrow, thats only one day out and even more difficult to predict.
Seconded. We have a quorum. Vote taken. 2 for. 0 against. Passed.

Last edited:
Well you know what they about people who assume...
Yep. Here's the thing. If I started threads every time there was a major snow threat 7-8 days out, I'd be starting threads at least weekly and the grief I'd get from that would far exceed the relatively gentle prodding from you and KS. So I'm going to wait until at least tonight, since I'm socked in at work all day and want to see at least another suite of model runs.

Having said that, last night's GFS and Euro show significant snowfall for the weekend, while the CMC was a miss, but several models then show significant snowfall mid next week (Day 10-11). The point is the pattern is conducive to snowfall, but that snowfall certainly might not materialize.

Please stop this?My birthday is Sunday. I hate snow . I love spring. I love baseball. I love the fact that it looks like I will achieve 63 which I never thought I would do. Take your snow and shove[L] it.

Please stop this?My birthday is Sunday. I hate snow . I love spring. I love baseball. I love the fact that it looks like I will achieve 63 which I never thought I would do. Take your snow and shove[L] it.
The only appropriate reply to this would be, "bite me, you've had more than your fair share of warmth and relative lack of snow this winter..."

So the Philly stations all hopped on board. 11pm forecast last night for Saturday was 48 and mostly cloudy. 6 hours later the Saturday forecast is now 38 and snow.
Big weekend in this area. Bucks County St. Patrick's parade is Saturday and Philly's is Sunday. Since I'm marching in both I'm hopping for more seasonal weather with no wind.

Last edited:
So the Philly stations all hopped on board. 11pm forecast last night for Saturday was 48 and mostly cloudy. 6 hours later the Saturday forecast is now 38 and snow.
Big weekend in this area. Bucks County St. Patrick's parade and Philly's is Sunday. Since I'm marching in both I'm hopping for more seasonal weather with no wind.

It's hard to conceive of the Philly area getting much snow if the high is going to be 38. As RU4real just remarked, there will be mixing issues below 195. But you'd better bundle up for both parades.

Yep. Here's the thing. If I started threads every time there was a major snow threat 7-8 days out, I'd be starting threads at least weekly and the grief I'd get from that would far exceed the relatively gentle prodding from you and KS. So I'm going to wait until at least tonight, since I'm socked in at work all day and want to see at least another suite of model runs.

Having said that, last night's GFS and Euro show significant snowfall for the weekend, while the CMC was a miss, but several models then show significant snowfall mid next week (Day 10-11). The point is the pattern is conducive to snowfall, but that snowfall certainly might not materialize.
New event/game, new thread.

lol at talk on this board of day 11 snow threats...oh you know time is running out on the winter

You're right, but it seems to me I remember some significant storms in March. From what I can tell from the NWS's forecast discussion, this one is unlikely to be much, but it's worth keeping an eye on for a while.

You're right, but it seems to me I remember some significant storms in March. From what I can tell from the NWS's forecast discussion, this one is unlikely to be much, but it's worth keeping an eye on for a while.

camden - this is all about the serious snow potential of the pattern. It's still too far out for any reputable pro to start talking snowfall amounts for the weekend or early/mid next week threats and the same would've been true for any major snowstorm 5+ days out. Just the fact that the NWS, today, mentioned the potential for a plowable amount of accumulating snow Saturday night through Sunday (for Central/Southern NJ, SE PA and the DelMarVa; it's possible north jersey is too far from the storm, but even there and NYC/LI can't be ruled out yet) is enough reason to want to watch the evolution of this system. Might still miss completely, but looking less likely.

camden - this is all about the serious snow potential of the pattern. It's still too far out for any reputable pro to start talking snowfall amounts for the weekend or early/mid next week threats and the same would've been true for any major snowstorm 5+ days out. Just the fact that the NWS, today, mentioned the potential for a plowable amount of accumulating snow Saturday night through Sunday (for Central/Southern NJ, SE PA and the DelMarVa; it's possible north jersey is too far from the storm, but even there and NYC/LI can't be ruled out yet) is enough reason to want to watch the evolution of this system. Might still miss completely, but looking less likely.

I have to go to Toronto middle of next week.

If I get stuck in Canada for 30 seconds longer than scheduled, I'm coming after you.

Reactions: RU848789

So it sounds like this storm, if it materializes, might be harder on us in South Jersey than you in North Jersey. But, as you say, it's too early to do more than watch. Incidentally, I didn't see the mention of plowable snow; I'm sure you're right and that I just missed it.

This weekend starts spring break for me. I'm really hoping we have no snow to interfere with my break. But, of course, the weather gods do not consult me about whether there will be a storm.

Let me know when its time to buy milk and bread....wait this morning it was north jersey tonight its south jersey? Soundnd like a little refining required on the forecast.

Let me know when its time to buy milk and bread....wait this morning it was north jersey tonight its south jersey? Sounds like a little refining required on the forecast.
Like maybe even a new thread.

Big weekend in this area. Bucks County St. Patrick's parade is Saturday and Philly's is Sunday. Since I'm marching in both I'm hopping for more seasonal weather with no wind.

Saturday will be cold (mid-30s for highs), but dry - guaranteed dry. Sunday is leaning towards a miss, but could also be a minor event for Philly and still a modest shot at it being a major event - just too soon to be sure.

I have to go to Toronto middle of next week.

If I get stuck in Canada for 30 seconds longer than scheduled, I'm coming after you.
Hm. You're going to be right near Paradigm Electronics, Inc (they're in Mississauga).

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a surround system built around their Prestige 95F tower speakers (currently deciding between those or a system built around either Revel F208s or Sonus Faber Venere Ss). If you could, you know, manage to find some of the Paradigm speakers laying about on the road, you know, unclaimed and all, and bring 'em back to me, that would pay for a lot of Dark & Stormy's in Bermuda. You know?

Hm. You're going to be right near Paradigm Electronics, Inc (they're in Mississauga).

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a surround system built around their Prestige 95F tower speakers (currently deciding between those or a system built around either Revel F208s or Sonus Faber Venere Ss). If you could, you know, manage to find some of the Paradigm speakers laying about on the road, you know, unclaimed and all, and bring 'em back to me, that would pay for a lot of Dark & Stormy's in Bermuda. You know?

I'll look.

I hate Canada. Do you know that the fine for exceeding 100 mph is $10,000 and forfeiture of your vehicle?? WTF kind of commie rat bastard country is that?

Hmm. Seems like no one is really sure if it will snow this weekend or not.
But global warming people can tell me what the temperature will be 100 years from now??? Hmm.

I'll look.

I hate Canada. Do you know that the fine for exceeding 100 mph is $10,000 and forfeiture of your vehicle?? WTF kind of commie rat bastard country is that?
I know, right? It's totally un-American. Bunch of pseudo-cheese-eating-surrender-monkey-wanna-bes up there.

When I went up for an F1 race a few years back, I stopped a couple miles short of the border and took my radar detector and hid it under my spare-tire and subwoofer. I'd read that if they catch you with a radar detector, they confiscate it.

Reportedly, in a couple instances, they made the driver drive over the radar detector and then confiscated the remains. That's cruel and unusual punishment.

And to top it all off, they post the speed limit in some barely interpretable numeric code. This is unacceptable.

I'll look.

Just say you were confused with mph and kmph - I tried that, to no avail, lol, when I got a ticket doing about 90 mph going from Montreal to Quebec City...

I love Canada, though. Montreal is awesome for many reasons - great food, scenery, arts, etc. And I liked Vancouver, Toronto and Quebec City quite a lot too and the people are very friendly. Plus, they invented hockey and Canadian bacon and brought us Neil Young.

Last edited:
Was there a snowmap for this storm?
Which storm? There were so many in our near record snowy March of 2018. We got nearly 27" of snow in Metuchen and NYC had a similar amount. My guess is the snowfall maps for the 3/7, 3/12, and 3/21 snowstorms (and the 4/2 one) are in the threads for those storms. Is that the answer you were looking for, four years later that caused you to bump this thread?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT