ADVERTISEMENT

(OT) Need a First Date Spot (Woodbridge area)

RU_PAYBACK

All American
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2008
Hey!

I'm not familiar with Woodbridge area. Any ideas for a bar/restaurant for a first date?
Nothing fancy. Casual attire. Not a dive, not a fru fru joint.....

Thoughts?

I will offset my OT footprint with a RU post shortly.

It's a chain, but I like it. Bahama Breeze at the Woodbridge Mall. Island style food. Nice bar.

Jose Teja's is fun but loud.

If you want fru fru (if I am reading you correctly), Casa Giusepe on Route 27 in Iselin. Hidden gem. Killer service and great food. Don't let the surrounding area deter you. It's worth it.

Civiles on Main Street in Metuchen ... Nice Italian place ... only drawback is tis BYOB

I'm not looking to BYOB. Not looking for a chain.....

Thanks for the suggestions thus far!

JJ Bittings right on Main St by the train station. Awesome food. It's also a micro brewery and their beer is absolutely amazing. I must recommend the Raspberry Wheat

In the early 80's there was a romantic motel on Route 1 South just north of the mall. it had mirrors on the ceilings and all the walls and heart shaped vibrating water beds. It made for a time-of-your-life first date. I think it was called the Love boat motel or something like that. Not sure if its still there but if it is you need to go there! Good luck.

Post a picture and we'll have a better idea of what she'd like.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by cRURah:
In the early 80's there was a romantic motel on Route 1 South just north of the mall. it had mirrors on the ceilings and all the walls and heart shaped vibrating water beds. It made for a time-of-your-life first date. I think it was called the Love boat motel or something like that. Not sure if its still there but if it is you need to go there! Good luck.
The loop inn?

Maybe a bit off the wall, but what about McLoone's at Favorites. Watching and betting on the races while having a bite to eat can break up some of the awkwardness. Just don't slum it in the betting parlor next door, unless it's at the bar area for after dinner drinks. Probably would have to see how into something like that she would be, and probably not a good idea if you are a degenerate gambler or have poor impulse control, or don't take losing easily.

I used to work at the Loop part time. New one of the owners and stayed there all too often back in the 90's

Ill Costello and La Trattoria Venezia on Main Street in Woodbridge are very good. Lou Cas in Edison.

Take him to the 35 Club. You'll find out quickly what kind of night it will be.

Just had some sort of lobster/crab/cheese topped, crawfish enchilada at Jose's the other day. I could've ate one every day since then (one can wish)

Triestina's in Cranford just off of exit 136. Lovely restaurant, but you would have to bring wine. Tell the owner (who is there most nights) that your friends with the people who moved to New Zealand.

Originally posted by MadRU:

The loop inn?

[/QUOTE]Beat me to it - I've driven past the Loop Inn Motel twice a day for 26 years (live in Metuchen, work in Rahway), along with no less than 8 or so other motels in Avenel on Route 1. The Loop Inn is supposedly the nicest of the bunch, still, advertising jacuzzis and stuff, as opposed to the other, much dumpier motels that lure people in with hourly rates, Telemundo, and in room movies.

Anyway, back to food in Woodbridge. I'd second Kona Grill, Tejas and Il Costello, but if you want something a little different, you might want to try one of the great Indian restaurants in Iselin (I'm partial to Urban Spice) or maybe try Pho Anh Do on 1 in Edison if you like Vietnamese, or try Mie Thai for very good Thai, right by the train station in Woodbridge. And there's always Liberty Tavern in Fords if you want the best bar burgers and fries around (it's a locals place, but they're friendly) or the Reo Diner, one of the most famous diners in NJ, right on Woodbridge Ave in downtown Woodbridge.

Originally posted by VW Knight:
JJ Bittings right on Main St by the train station. Awesome food. It's also a micro brewery and their beer is absolutely amazing. I must recommend the Raspberry Wheat
Used to go there after our softball games in the neighborhood. He's right, the raspberry wheat is tremendous. Also, I was in Woodbridge today and drove by the Shannon Rose. Never been, but people seem to like it.

Meet up at a bar first and then move on to another restaurant if she is worth it. You don't want to get "stuck" with an expensive meal with someone that you are miserable with. The bar will let you know if there is chemistry and then move on after a couple drinks either together or separately.

Or you can channel your inner NYCBanker and meet up at a motel instead.

Wasn't it called The Mirage?

Originally posted by VW Knight:
Good call, lots of good beer and solid food there. Half of it has intimate seating, the other half is the bar. Cool decorations too, with the microbrewery there.

Originally posted by RU_DIO:
I used to work at the Loop part time. New one of the owners and stayed there all too often back in the 90's

Ill Costello and La Trattoria Venezia on Main Street in Woodbridge are very good. Lou Cas in Edison.
Ill Costellos was a great steakhouse before. Anyone recall the name? Watch the bill if you go. Very nice place but they can trick you.

If you don't mind changing cloths after, Jose Tejas, off of Rt.1 North bound, has GREAT Tex-Mex food.Very big portions, and top notch food, and inexpensive to boot.If your going today, it will get packed early, with waits of over an hour not unheard of. In fact as Yogi would say, "No one goes there anymore, because it gets to crowded."

Indian or Vietnamese? Didn't you see Along Came Polly? The potential for one of you to be pissing out of your a-hole would be just too great.

I guess I should've said more of a place for a drink. Restaurant will be night out #2 if all goes well.

Anyone been to Hailey's Pub in Metuchen?

Originally posted by RU Husky:
Go to Seawaren to watch the submarine races.
OMG I haven't heard that since my parents told me how they used to 'park' in High School.

Originally posted by RU_PAYBACK:
I guess I should've said more of a place for a drink. Restaurant will be night out #2 if all goes well.

JJ Bittings still fits the bill nicely. Nice bar area, can grab some appetizers if you get hungry. If you decide to make it a longer evening with dinner, just go get a table.

Originally posted by RU_PAYBACK:

We're regulars there - nice, comfortable pub with good beers and good pub food - very nice staff, too - crowd is mostly 25-60 and you'll see lots of families. Live music Weds-Sat after 9 pm - rock and roll mostly and trad Irish sometimes...

#'s, My father's band plays there frequently. SevenStone. My father passed a few years back but the band still plays on. Ever had a chance to catch them?

I'm leaning towards JJ Bittings and Haley's..

I actually have been to JJ's once before. I think I had some tater tots!

Hailey's Harp and Pub is pretty nice. They have a good beer selection and the irish nachos are on point. also as with all small venue bands, they keep the volume at 11 in the hopes that the louder they get the better they sound. There is a back room where you can hear the music but not have ringing in your ears for 2 days after.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT