ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NEW EVERYTHING / ANYTHING COVID-19 THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
No graphs like these show actual real data. Sad to see so many gullible people only look at things one way and wont look at both sides and do actual research.

The graph is real data. The points on the graph are milestones that need to be taken with a grain of salt. That graph you posted actually implies that masks are the reason for the downturn, but you can find examples that tell completely different stories. There are literally dozens of factors that go into the case trends. Masks are just one input.

The graph is real data. The points on the graph are milestones that need to be taken with a grain of salt. That graph you posted actually implies that masks are the reason for the downturn, but you can find examples that tell completely different stories. There are literally dozens of factors that go into the case trends. Masks are just one input.

the MSM literally said that Iowa politicians didnt care if people lived or died when they got rid of the mask mandate...and we see what happened

the MSM literally said that Iowa politicians didnt care if people lived or died when they got rid of the mask mandate...and we see what happened
This is true. The WaPo headline was along the lines of "Iowa doesn't care if people live or die"
Totally ridiculous.

Reactions: Postman_1
Bourbon Street is booming tonight.Very few masks are in sight.

For quick reference, a breif overview of Louisiana’s current COVID-19 restrictions are below:

-All Louisianans are encouraged to avoid gatherings of individuals not part of their households.

-All businesses, private and public sectors, should have as many employees work from home as they can.

-All restaurants are limited to 50% of their indoor capacity. Restaurants should move as much dining outdoors as they can. Social distancing is required.

-For bars in parishes above 5% positivity, bars are closed to indoor sales and consumption but open for outdoor consumption at tables only and at 25% capacity, with a maximum of 50 people. Social distancing is required. Take-out and delivery will still be available.

-Retail businesses may open at 50% capacity, except for essential businesses, as defined by federal guidance from the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency.

-Gyms may be open at 50% of their capacity.

-Places of worship will remain at a maximum of 75% of their capacity or the number of people who can physically distance with at least six feet between each immediate household, whichever is less.

-Barber and beauty shops, and nail salons may open at 50% of their capacity.

-Movie theaters may open at 50% of their capacity.

-Indoor gatherings at event/receptions centers are limited to 25% capacity or up to 75 individuals.

-Outdoor gatherings at event/reception centers are limited to 25% capacity or up to 150 individuals when strict physical distancing is not possible.

-All sporting events will be capped at 25% capacity.

Exactly. It’s like trying to teach algebra to a 5 year old with him. He just won’t get it. Yup they didn’t care if they lived or died and see what happened. Same thing after the Super Bowl and after the event in DC. No spikes afterwards. Tarheels fans on Franklin St after they beat Duke. No spikes. No matter how many charts we post that show no difference between masks and no masks they just won’t get it.

May be late to the party, not reading too many pages of this slop to see if it's been discussed, but wave 2B in this area is more or less underway. Unusual counts in the region compared to the rest of the country. South Jersey now lagging North more than usual after reaching a fairly steady relationship for months.

Behavior hasn't changed regionally, right? I don't buy the "super bowl" argument for a split second; the whole country watches.

Not sure if it's a different strain, but I'm not sure why else it'd kick up around here just as the 2nd wave was in decline.

We'll see if it gets bad. UK's 2B wave was nasty. NJ probably has ~25% of the population with some enhanced ability to fight it via vaccination or past infection, even if it's a different strain.

May be late to the party, not reading too many pages of this slop to see if it's been discussed, but wave 2B in this area is more or less underway. Unusual counts in the region compared to the rest of the country. South Jersey now lagging North more than usual after reaching a fairly steady relationship for months.

Behavior hasn't changed regionally, right? I don't buy the "super bowl" argument for a split second; the whole country watches.

Not sure if it's a different strain, but I'm not sure why else it'd kick up around here just as the 2nd wave was in decline.

We'll see if it gets bad. UK's 2B wave was nasty. NJ probably has ~25% of the population with some enhanced ability to fight it via vaccination or past infection, even if it's a different strain.
Hi. What exactly do you mean by this?

Hi. What exactly do you mean by this?
It'd take a while to work up something resembling proof but in eyeballing it, it's strange looking enough that I feel pretty comfortable saying there's something there.

Worldometers sorts the by-state list by total cumulative counts since the beginning. Comparing daily new counts to total counts, the rank order of each has been pretty reliably similar. Sure you'd get some movers (Midwestern states in the fall, e.g.) but at the very least, NY/NJ would tend to run a little lower than their cumulative-ranking neighbors because they took the brunt of the first wave.

Yesterday: NY #1 in new counts (#4 total), NJ #5 (#11 total). I don't look every day, but I haven't seen anything like that in a while. Looking at the shapes of the new count histograms for a few different states, NJ and NY just aren't dropping off as quickly as others, and NY is showing what looks quite like an upward trend.

Digging into NJ: I noticed Somerset (#15 total of 21) had been running in the triple digits for a few days, unusual given its ranking neighbors (Atlantic, Gloucester, Cumberland). This is what caused me to start looking closely again. Sussex, Warren running slightly hot compared to its ranking neighbors. Morris sits between Camden and Burlington in the total rankings and has been far outpacing them for at least a few days.

Too much geographical disparity among relationships that had been fairly stable for me to say this is normal fluctuation.

Reactions: RUJohnny
Since the J&J vaccine is approved and has a similar platform as the AstraZeneca vaccine, why hasn't the FDA applied for EUA? Why has it mostly been used in low to middle income countries? I saw where South Africa has asked the company to take back a million doses since it's shown extremely bad results in dealing with their new variant.

Last edited:
The plot thickens a bit on the path forward for vaccinations with regard to possible deferral of the 2nd shot of the mRNA vaccines (Pizer/Moderna), so that more people can be vaccinated in the same amount of time. While prevention of infections is nearly as good from single doses based on data from Pfizer and Israel, there are concerns that the vaccination immunity is clearly less robust than with one shot, with regard to the measured immune response (even if the number of infections isn't much worse). Dr. Fauci and the FDA, so far, are not infavor of moving to a single shot for 2-dose vaccines, as they feel we simply don't have enough data to do so at this time, as the trials just weren't designed to obtain such data. Plus, there is concern about variants being more likely to emerge from re-infections of people who only receive one dose and don't have as high of levels of antibodies and other immune response elements.

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210219/fauci-us-sticking-with-2-dose-regimen

So, the above is essentially Fauci's and the FDA's position on deferring 2nd doses, which I've agreed with. However, CIDRAP (Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy), one of the best and most influential groups out there on infectious disease science and policy, just came out with a position paper recommending deferral of 2nd doses for most (especially infected/recovered patients who already have some immunity), so that we can get everyone over 65 vaccinated with at least one shot (if getting a 2-shot mRNA vaccine with J&J EUA just being approved today) and so we can vaccinate close to twice as many people more quickly, in order to get ahead of potential coming increases in transmissions due to the more transmissible variants, like the UK and South African variants and potentially others. I completely understand the logic and it's a compelling case, but there are potential downsides as per the op above. This one's above my paygrade, lol and I don't think there's a simple clear cut answer on which approach is better.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/sites/default/files/public/downloads/cidrap-covid19-viewpoint-report7.pdf

8TlptXC.png

The plot thickens a bit on the path forward for vaccinations with regard to possible deferral of the 2nd shot of the mRNA vaccines (Pizer/Moderna), so that more people can be vaccinated in the same amount of time. While prevention of infections is nearly as good from single doses based on data from Pfizer and Israel, there are concerns that the vaccination immunity is clearly less robust than with one shot, with regard to the measured immune response (even if the number of infections isn't much worse). Dr. Fauci and the FDA, so far, are not infavor of moving to a single shot for 2-dose vaccines, as they feel we simply don't have enough data to do so at this time, as the trials just weren't designed to obtain such data. Plus, there is concern about variants being more likely to emerge from re-infections of people who only receive one dose and don't have as high of levels of antibodies and other immune response elements.

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210219/fauci-us-sticking-with-2-dose-regimen

So, the above is essentially Fauci's and the FDA's position on deferring 2nd doses, which I've agreed with. However, CIDRAP (Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy), one of the best and most influential groups out there on infectious disease science and policy, just came out with a position paper recommending deferral of 2nd doses for most (especially infected/recovered patients who already have some immunity), so that we can get everyone over 65 vaccinated with at least one shot (if getting a 2-shot mRNA vaccine with J&J EUA just being approved today) and so we can vaccinate close to twice as many people more quickly, in order to get ahead of potential coming increases in transmissions due to the more transmissible variants, like the UK and South African variants and potentially others. I completely understand the logic and it's a compelling case, but there are potential downsides as per the op above. This one's above my paygrade, lol and I don't think there's a simple clear cut answer on which approach is better.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/sites/default/files/public/downloads/cidrap-covid19-viewpoint-report7.pdf

8TlptXC.png
You know both Pfizer and Moderna will be against the single shot use. Cuts their profits in 1/2.

How people have contorted themselves to hate this man is bizarre. Given away his wealth toward solving some of the worlds most challenging issues. Insanity

Well, not really giving away his "wealth". He's worth 100 billion dollars. The guy could liteally buy 100 mansions tomorrow. His philanthropic efforts have not effected his daily life in anyway.
Now a poor person who gives ten doillars away? Well that is impressive. That ten dollars meant something in their life.

Positives going back up now but small amounts. Hospitalizations usually lag do assuming that will go back up. Curious to see how high they go again.
Hospitalizations may not go back up as the vulnerable group is being vaccinated.

Positives going back up now but small amounts. Hospitalizations usually lag do assuming that will go back up. Curious to see how high they go again.
They will not go back up. When you clean the pcr numbers for dupes and adjust for date of illness onset, the "rise" is negligible.

Reactions: biker7766 and Zak57

8TlptXC.png

It’s really a tough call. If we we didn’t have so many doses on the way in the next 2 months, it would give us a much better argument.

Wish Pfizer/Moderna tested a 1 shot regimen originally, but nobody thought they would work so well. Moderna is actually testing now a new recipe which includes SA/Brazil variants.

Do masks protect and at what percentage ? There is no absolute number or percentage given 1 year into covid19 . I believe after 1 year we should have had actual credible information available. We received the first dose today : Pfizer no issue. Well run by the Military and FEMA, RWJH . It was well staffed , had many people to assist but what we found it odd the number of people under the age 50-55. I would like to see everyone get the vaccine but there have got to be many more over age 55 in group 1b still being by-passed. There is no way they can check on whether you have any of the health issues which would make you eligible except your age. We must have a ton of smokers and immune compromised under age 55? Otherwise they are doing a great job.👍🏻🪓

They will not go back up. When you clean the pcr numbers for dupes and adjust for date of illness onset, the "rise" is negligible.
But dupes and illness onset are not new considerations. In the past a rise in positives has precluded a rise in hospitalizations. I think we are clearly over the hump here so I don't expect to see a significant rise in either, but while we are over the hump, we are not completely out of the woods, need to stay vigilent for a bit longer, especially in the face of data that shows a leveling off of the decline.

Well, not really giving away his "wealth". He's worth 100 billion dollars. The guy could liteally buy 100 mansions tomorrow. His philanthropic efforts have not effected his daily life in anyway.
Now a poor person who gives ten doillars away? Well that is impressive. That ten dollars meant something in their life.

I've always been most impressed by poor people who give away millions of dollars, nothing tops that. 😀

8TlptXC.png
So again, doing this $hit on the fly, and if you question it, your either a moron, or selfish, crazy.

a lot of people don't seem to understand how science works. Opinions are based on data, as you get more data your opinion is may need to change. that is common sense.

remember your mask is to protect OTHER people in case you have it without knowing it. If you have it and know it you should stay home for at least 2 weeks.

get your damn shot! the faster people get the shots the faster we can get back to normal.

that is what everyone wants

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT