ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020-2021 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can say that he also have better offensive numbers than Davis, only because Chapman has been a starter longer than Davis... Or that Davis has decent numbers in his 2 seasons with the Mets without being a starter. Thats the issue with the Mets last few years: they always had the players to compete but always low ball them or underestimate their chances and go get someone else who almost always never pan out: Murphy, McNeil, Davis, maybe even Gimenez and Smith.

Matt Chapman is a repeat Platinum Glove Award winner. He and Arenado are the two premier defensive third baseman.

Reactions: BLewis1968
I really like JD but he is a bad defensive third baseman. Having him out there with potentially Smith in LF and Nimmo in CF is a recipe for disaster, no matter how well the Mets hit.
Perception has a way of clouding one's judgment. As I stated before, neither JD nor Dom has played enough games to evaluate their fielding abilities at their current position truly. Rosario had 4 or 5 seasons (500 games) to show his worth before the Mets traded him after realizing he wasn't the player they expected. Meanwhile, Dom has played a total of 69 games in LF, and JD has a little over a 100 at 3B, and people are ready to ship them out. Maybe the problem is management who don't give the players the support to learn to play one position to the best of their abilities. Instead, they have to bring multiple gloves to work every day because they have no clue which position they will play today.

What's the old saying, "Jack of all trades, but master of none." You can't master a skill if not allowed to focus on that craft.

Reactions: rags and tico brown
Matt Chapman is a repeat Platinum Glove Award winner. He and Arenado are the two premier defensive third baseman.
But Chapman's bat is far less impressive. The gap between his fielding and hitter is much greater than that of JD's. JD hasn't been given the luxury of playing 3B exclusively like Chapman, and that might explain some of the difficulties for JD. Sometimes, if a player has multiple skillsets, teams don't know have to take advantage of them. Rojas has already muddied the waters by saying JD, Dom, and Nimmo may play other positions. That's a setup for failure, so you can justify moving them. Total gorgon sh*t.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Defensively Chapman is FAR superior to Davis, not even a discussion.
You can say that he also have better offensive numbers than Davis, only because Chapman has been a starter longer than Davis... Or that Davis has decent numbers in his 2 seasons with the Mets without being a starter. Thats the issue with the Mets last few years: they always had the players to compete but always low ball them or underestimate their chances and go get someone else who almost always never pan out: Murphy, McNeil, Davis, maybe even Gimenez and Smith.
I really like JD Davis...And I think if he is left at either 3B or LF he can become good enough not to be a liability. Really really like him

But...Chapman is Elite...ELITE defensively And offensively- you have an easy argument that he is currently far superior than JD. JD had his really good season in 2019 with 22 HR and .307 ba...has never batter over .247 at any other time. His other 330 Ab's or so outside of 2019 has produced closer to a .220 and 11 HR's. Chapman is not an elite hitter but most certainly in the .250/.260 range and 25-30 HR with elite defense.

If you can get him, fine. But What’s the percentage Champman or Arenado played third base compared to Davis, who played multiple positions? Or McNeil? Or Smith? All three may be ELITE if they stayed at one position... maybe not. But at least give them that chance. This is Daniel Murphy (maybe Justin Turner) all over again.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Perception has a way of clouding one's judgment. As I stated before, neither JD nor Dom has played enough games to evaluate their fielding abilities at their current position truly. Rosario had 4 or 5 seasons (500 games) to show his worth before the Mets traded him after realizing he wasn't the player they expected. Meanwhile, Dom has played a total of 69 games in LF, and JD has a little over a 100 at 3B, and people are ready to ship them out. Maybe the problem is management who don't give the players the support to learn to play one position to the best of their abilities. Instead, they have to bring multiple gloves to work every day because they have no clue which position they will play today.

What's the old saying, "Jack of all trades, but master of none." You can't master a skill if not allowed to focus on that craft.
Was not sorry to see Rosario go. I believe he topped out in 2019. Step back last year was a disappointment.

I'm not one to buy into moving players to other positions is that big of an issue in terms of player development. Yes, you don't move them to a position they can't physically play but they should be capable of playing multiple positions well. They are professionals whose full time job is the game. From my own experience I didn't care what position I played (played 7 in HS and 4 in college) as long as I was playing although I did prefer to play some positions over others (wasn't a big fan of playing OF).

Whats up with the Mets fans fantasizing over suspect players like Trevor Bauer (who has similar stats than Marcus Stroman) and Matt Chapman (a career .255 hitter who they'd have over JD Davis). Is it a case of Uncle Steve's money burning a hole in their pockets so lets just spend it on ANYONE???
Agree 100%. I haven't even seen anything about a Chapman trade.

Before hip surgery, do we know exactly what the extent of the injury was? Repaired or chronic?

That’s the key right there. I never advocated to trade for Chapman or not. He had season ending hip surgery last season. I would definitely need to see him play before making any kind of deal. And if chronic no way. Doctors would need to earn their money.

But Chapman is far superior to Davis defensively, not even a discussion. And I cannot say Davis is superior or even better than Chapman offensively.

At the same time some people were hot after Realmuto, who as a catcher had knee surgery and recent hip discomfort.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Rosenthal to the A's. 1 year $11 million.

I was hoping we could pick him up. Not sure what other options are out there. This is a miss in my book.

Let’s see about Walker for the rotation.

Was not sorry to see Rosario go. I believe he topped out in 2019. Step back last year was a disappointment.

I'm not one to buy into moving players to other positions is that big of an issue in terms of player development. Yes, you don't move them to a position they can't physically play but they should be capable of playing multiple positions well. They are professionals whose full time job is the game. From my own experience I didn't care what position I played (played 7 in HS and 4 in college) as long as I was playing although I did prefer to play some positions over others (wasn't a big fan of playing OF).
I agree with you that players should be able to play more than one position, but my issue is the level of criticism both Davis and Smith are receiving. Most players who play more than one position are not gold glove players. They play well enough for a team to have success. I think the problem starts with the Mets. They have a history of screwing over players because they are indecisive and really looking for instant stud players. What's the old saying of "What you put in is what you get out." The Mets don't invest the time and energy into developing their minor leagues. Therefore, some players are not where they should be fielding-wise. Also, the Mets' excitement is because of the very guys the Mets are trying to get rid of...WTF.

But is Chapman THAT much better than Davis?

Is Bauer REALLY THAT MUCH BETTER than Stroman, Syndergaard? Shoot I'm not even comparing him to deGrom because there is none.

Defensively, I think Chapman is much better than Davis. Again, I wouldn't be as concerned if it wasn't for Smith and Nimmo also out there. A hard grounder to third or a hit up the gap could be an inside-the-park HR. I'm exaggerating but they are three really poor fielders....and I really like them all....just not together.

As far as Bauer goes, I never really wanted him because he's a certifiable nut-job. But, yes, he's better than Stroman...However, I don't think much of Stroman except that he's over-rated and talks a lot. He probably shouldn't be better than Syndergaard, but right now he is.

Defensively, I think Chapman is much better than Davis. Again, I wouldn't be as concerned if it wasn't for Smith and Nimmo also out there. A hard grounder to third or a hit up the gap could be an inside-the-park HR. I'm exaggerating but they are three really poor fielders....and I really like them all....just not together.

As far as Bauer goes, I never really wanted him because he's a certifiable nut-job. But, yes, he's better than Stroman...However, I don't think much of Stroman except that he's over-rated and talks a lot. He probably shouldn't be better than Syndergaard, but right now he is.
Sorry for tagging you into this. Was simply trying to type something up without responding to anyone.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
You know what? I was really never a Marcus Stroman fan. Thought they shouldn't have traded that prospect to Toronto for him. But I really hope that he wins the freaking Cy Young so that the "Mets Fans" will still complain about Marcus Stroman breathing air these days. You know, the same "fans" who wanted that pure primadonna Trevor Bauer for more than Jacob deGrom's salary and similar stats to Stroman, and even Noah Syndergaard (comparing years).

But whatever lol.

LETS GO METS!!!

Reactions: cicero grimes
You know what? I was really never a Marcus Stroman fan. Thought they shouldn't have traded that prospect to Toronto for him. But I really hope that he wins the freaking Cy Young so that the "Mets Fans" will still complain about Marcus Stroman breathing air these days. You know, the same "fans" who wanted that pure primadonna Trevor Bauer for more than Jacob deGrom's salary and similar stats to Stroman, and even Noah Syndergaard (comparing years).

But whatever lol.

LETS GO METS!!!
You are being kind- Noah's career stats blow away Bauer

Reactions: tico brown
I was hoping we could pick him up. Not sure what other options are out there. This is a miss in my book.

Let’s see about Walker for the rotation.
Not a miss. Its reported that he had offers for more than one year. Who knows, the Mets might have been one of them. But as he said the reason for Oakland is the closer's role.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Not a miss. Its reported that he had offers for more than one year. Who knows, the Mets might have been one of them. But as he said the reason for Oakland is the closer's role.
Good point...just like Hand. Quite honestly, if you were a RP and you had a choice to close for the year or take a 2 year deal as a setup man...you go as a closer and do it again next year. Hand and Rosenthal both had good years closing last year- it isn't the same as when we brought Familia back

Good point...just like Hand. Quite honestly, if you were a RP and you had a choice to close for the year or take a 2 year deal as a setup man...you go as a closer and do it again next year. Hand and Rosenthal both had good years closing last year- it isn't the same as when we brought Familia back
The Dodgers GM said if you're rational about every free agent, you'll finish 3rd all the time. The Mets could use one irrational move to get them to the elite, elite level. Right now, there's not a good player left on the free agent market to be irrational.

I agree with you that players should be able to play more than one position, but my issue is the level of criticism both Davis and Smith are receiving. Most players who play more than one position are not gold glove players. They play well enough for a team to have success. I think the problem starts with the Mets. They have a history of screwing over players because they are indecisive and really looking for instant stud players. What's the old saying of "What you put in is what you get out." The Mets don't invest the time and energy into developing their minor leagues. Therefore, some players are not where they should be fielding-wise. Also, the Mets' excitement is because of the very guys the Mets are trying to get rid of...WTF.
Agree with you Mets development of players has been terrible.

I really like JD Davis...And I think if he is left at either 3B or LF he can become good enough not to be a liability. Really really like him

But...Chapman is Elite...ELITE defensively And offensively- you have an easy argument that he is currently far superior than JD. JD had his really good season in 2019 with 22 HR and .307 ba...has never batter over .247 at any other time. His other 330 Ab's or so outside of 2019 has produced closer to a .220 and 11 HR's. Chapman is not an elite hitter but most certainly in the .250/.260 range and 25-30 HR with elite defense.
Is Chapman healthy?

Whats up with the Mets fans fantasizing over suspect players like Trevor Bauer (who has similar stats than Marcus Stroman)

Would love to see Stroman pitch a lights out playoff game in ‘21 like Bauer in ‘20. I’ll believe it when I see it.

If the reports are true and Walker is a Met the rotation is Jake, Carassco, Stroman, Petersen and Walker I assume. That means Lucchessi goes to the pen. If Thor comes back healthy that could be a deep rotation.

Reactions: tico brown
Bullpen new options:

Joey Lucchesi Jordan Yamamoto Sam McWilliams Aaron Loup Trevor May

Just heard Walker for two years 20 million with a player option for third year (didn’t hear third year value)

Bullpen new options:

Joey Lucchesi Jordan Yamamoto Sam McWilliams Aaron Loup Trevor May
Some of these guys are interesting. Forgetting about the crazy 2020- Lucchesi and Yamamoto are unhittable but walk a ton of guys and have high ERA's due to it. If they can get control- could be very good. Loup- Injured in 2019 so will be interesting to see how he is this year but has been a pretty consistant guy over the years. May is Solid- Hopefully, we get good Familia and Diaz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT