ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are talking about Kumar Rocker, that is not entirely correct. At least not according to Scott Boras, his agent. He reported that when the Mets got the meds, they declined to make any offer, period.

This is an important distinction. It's not that the Mets made a financial decision to cheap out. They made a baseball decision that they would rather have the compensatory pick this year, as opposed to Rocker, whom they considered damaged goods.
really too bad, I thought he'd be an ace for us down the line.

It's official: The NY Mets are bringing back Old Timers' Day this season

As bad as the Mets were for long stretches, you could count on the franchise to put on a good show for Old Timers’ Day, always a highlight of the schedule.

Now, after a 27-year absence, the Mets are reviving that tradition at Citi Field.

Reactions: AntiG
Something to kick around while we wait for something to happen with the negotiations:

Let's say you could put together a five man starting rotation consisting of any five Met pitchers in their best season. Whom would you select? Here's mine:

Dwight Gooden - 1985
Jacob deGrom - 2018
Tom Seaver - take your pick of seasons
R.A. Dickey - 2012
Matt Harvey -2013

The first three IMO are no brainers. The last two are much tougher and you could make a case for about ten different guys in those last two spots. I will admit to recency bias.

Who's in your starting rotation?

Reactions: cicero grimes
Something to kick around while we wait for something to happen with the negotiations:

Let's say you could put together a five man starting rotation consisting of any five Met pitchers in their best season. Whom would you select? Here's mine:

Dwight Gooden - 1985
Jacob deGrom - 2018
R.A. Dickey - 2012
Matt Harvey -2013

The first three IMO are no brainers. The last two are much tougher and you could make a case for about ten different guys in those last two spots. I will admit to recency bias.

As a big Jerry Koosman fan, I would include 1976 when he won 21 games / had an ERA under 3 and pitched 17 complete games for an awful team. Thus I favor Koosman 76 over Harvey or Dickey.

Dwight Gooden - 1985
Jacob deGrom - 2018
R.A. Dickey - 2012
Matt Harvey -2013

Frank Viola's 1990 season also deserves consideration. Cone in 1988 as someone else posted is up there as well.

still crazy it took until the past decade to finally have a no hitter given the wealth of pitching talent that have played for the Mets.

Dwight Gooden - 1985
Jacob deGrom - 2018
R.A. Dickey - 2012
Matt Harvey -2013

Dickey and Harvey don't belong on the list. The first I thought of with others was 88 Cone.
Koosman 68-69-76
Even Matlack with losing seasons had a couple of great ones

As a big Jerry Koosman fan, I would include 1976 when he won 21 games / had an ERA under 3 and pitched 17 complete games for an awful team. Thus I favor Koosman 76 over Harvey or Dickey.
The 1976 Mets were far from an awful team. They went 86-76. Nowadays that puts you in playoff contention. If the owners get their way, it will put you in the playoffs.

That said, Koosman in any one of several years is a worthy nominee. I had him 7th, behind Cone 1988.

Our personal biases do come into play in this. You mentioned that you are a big Koosman fan. I am not. I prefer athletes who pay their taxes. But he did do the time after doing the crime, and is IMO entitled to a clean slate, same as everyone else. That's what my mind says. But the mind does not always govern.

Dickey and Harvey don't belong on the list. The first I thought of with others was 88 Cone.
Koosman 68-69-76
Even Matlack with losing seasons had a couple of great ones
The question refers to individual seasons. Hard to argue IMO that a Cy Young season (Dickey 2012) does not belong. Mets have had four Cy Young winners, and I've got five spots in my rotation.

The case against Harvey 2013 is stronger. In a prior post I mentioned how my biases come into play, which I think is true for all of us. I will admit having a recency bias. Yes I know how great Koosman and Cone were. But my memories have dimmed. Whereas I can still feel the excitement of "Harvey Day", nine years later.

Maybe I should have posted the question differently - what are your five FAVORITE seasons by a Met starting pitcher. Harvey's 2013 was definitely one of my five favorites.

The 1976 Mets were far from an awful team. They went 86-76. Nowadays that puts you in playoff contention. If the owners get their way, it will put you in the playoffs.

That said, Koosman in any one of several years is a worthy nominee. I had him 7th, behind Cone 1988.

Our personal biases do come into play in this. You mentioned that you are a big Koosman fan. I am not. I prefer athletes who pay their taxes. But he did do the time after doing the crime, and is IMO entitled to a clean slate, same as everyone else. That's what my mind says. But the mind does not always govern.
I did not realize Mets in 76 had 86 wins. I stand corrected.
On a personal level, I also respect athletes / people who are clean and are not menaces to society. Thus that would delete Gooden and Harvey but the question was about top 5 rotation and Kooz in 76 belongs - in lieu of Dickey or Harvey.

I did not realize Mets in 76 had 86 wins. I stand corrected.
On a personal level, I also respect athletes / people who are clean and are not menaces to society. Thus that would delete Gooden and Harvey but the question was about top 5 rotation and Kooz in 76 belongs - in lieu of Dickey or Harvey.
I think Cone's 88 season is also above Harvey or Dickey. The CY is something based on the "best" performance for that specific year. Is Brandon Webb's 2006 season better than Cone's 88? Not even in the same convo- Same goes with Dickey

Another agreement announced by Manfred today was the elimination of draft pick compensation for free agents who reject qualifying offers.

Another agreement announced by Manfred today was the elimination of draft pick compensation for free agents who reject qualifying offers.
Is this in effect immediately or next off season? If it starts now we lose compensation for Conforto and Thor, correct?

Is this in effect immediately or next off season? If it starts now we lose compensation for Conforto and Thor, correct?
Just to clarify on the draft choice and universal DH issue. The tweet I posted to the contrary, nothing is official, as no agreement has been reached. Manfred announced that these two concessions were included in the new proposal to be presented to the MLBPA tomorrow. Since the MLBPA is in favor of both, it appears certain that the two changes will be part of the final agreement. But nothing is official.

Your question is a good one. My guess is that it will not be retroactive, as that would be changing the rules in the middle of this year's free agency game. But who knows.

Davis Smith Alonso can be a nice DH rotation if Smith can hit like 2020.
Might make Mets focus on a bigger pitcher move over Bryant

With DH definitely coming it opens up a lot of possibilities. Bryant or Schwarber.
I prefer to use guys who can play other positions and be the DH. I'm okay with Bryant, but not Schwarber for this reason. I think Davis and Dom would be fine as the DHs this year.

FYI: look for the Mets' hitters to be closer to what they really are as players. Last year, the players and Rojas complained about the informational overload causing paralysis by analysis. The new hitting coach (and Showalter) have made it clear that the analytics team WILL NOT run daily hitting meetings as reported by SNY. The hitting coach said the information would go through him and be distributed as needed.

I prefer to use guys who can play other positions and be the DH. I'm okay with Bryant, but not Schwarber for this reason. I think Davis and Dom would be fine as the DHs this year.

FYI: look for the Mets' hitters to be closer to what they really are as players. Last year, the players and Rojas complained about the informational overload causing paralysis by analysis. The new hitting coach (and Showalter) have made it clear that the analytics team WILL NOT run daily hitting meetings as reported by SNY. The hitting coach said the information would go through him and be distributed as needed.
Thank God. I was so sick of the players looking at fastballs down the middle because the analytics guys told them to look breaking ball in that spot. They paralyzed themselves with too much info.

Reactions: Plum Street
Are the owners and players seriously going to delay or shorten this season after all the country has been through the last 2 years? Don't fork with America's Past Time. 🤬 This is the week the month of February is usually saved by ballplayers reporting to camp. Sucks balls if this continues!

Since it looks like no baseball for a while, anyone have any good baseball books? I just started re-reading Split Season about the 1981 strike year. Just ordered 1930, about the 1930 season where offense dominated. Looking for some other suggestions as this may go long.

Since it looks like no baseball for a while, anyone have any good baseball books? I just started re-reading Split Season about the 1981 strike year. Just ordered 1930, about the 1930 season where offense dominated. Looking for some other suggestions as this may go long.
It’s old but I thought Jim Bouton s “ Ball 4” was a great and funny read.

Another older book, 60 Feet, Six Inches by Bob Gibson and Reggie Jackson was a good read. Had not realized (or forgot) that Bob Gibson passed away from pancreatic cancer in October 2020.

Another older book, 60 Feet, Six Inches by Bob Gibson and Reggie Jackson was a good read. Had not realized (or forgot) that Bob Gibson passed away from pancreatic cancer in October 2020.
Bob Gibson was a bad ass from what I read. He was little bit before my time as a fan, but he was even intimidating on the Primatene Mist commercials that I remember growing up!

Bob Gibson was a bad ass from what I read. He was little bit before my time as a fan, but he was even intimidating on the Primatene Mist commercials that I remember growing up!
Two (perhaps) little known facts about Bob Gibson. He was an excellent basketball player, and played for the Harlem Globetrotters. He was also an accomplished guitarist, and he played on the Ed Sullivan show accompanied by another pitcher, Denny McClain, on organ.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT