• 3B J.D. Davis
  • C James McCann

Bench

• C Tomas Nido
  • INF Luis Guillorme
  • INF/OF Jonathan Villar
  • OF Albert Almora Jr.
  • OF Kevin Pillar

With a hopefully full spring training, the Mets as well as all teams are no where near done with the makeup of rosters. I see the Mets making one or two more moves via trades.

I am going to keep an open mind going into the season. Considering that Nimmo has had injury issues...Conforto has previously but has been pretty solid for the past 2 years and Dom has never put in a full long season playing the OF. Good chance we will need capable backup OF's that could actually start for a 15-20 game period if needed.
The good news is that in late innings as we are built now- we could move Dom to 1B Guillorme or Villar to 2B, McNeil or Villar to 3B, Nimmo to LF and either Almore or Pillar to Center. All of a sudden, we have a pretty damn good defense and if it goes into late innings, they are all competent at bat as well.
Keeping in mind- we went into the off season with eyes on stars- Realmuto/Bauer/Springer and forget that we actually have a lineup that is already loaded. Without landing the FA stars, the best thing we can do is build up depth and options that does not have a huge dropoff from our starters. We have actually done that while also getting one of the best players in the game and a guy that if he were a FA, would have easily been in the top 3 FA pitchers available.
I am ready to go and don't think the Met's are done either. But the best team we have had in a very long time

Pillar seems like a bit of a POS with his comments over the years so hope he doesn't come in and ruin the good chemistry this team seems to have.

Last edited:
I am going to keep an open mind going into the season. Considering that Nimmo has had injury issues...Conforto has previously but has been pretty solid for the past 2 years and Dom has never put in a full long season playing the OF. Good chance we will need capable backup OF's that could actually start for a 15-20 game period if needed.
The good news is that in late innings as we are built now- we could move Dom to 1B Guillorme or Villar to 2B, McNeil or Villar to 3B, Nimmo to LF and either Almore or Pillar to Center. All of a sudden, we have a pretty damn good defense and if it goes into late innings, they are all competent at bat as well.
Keeping in mind- we went into the off season with eyes on stars- Realmuto/Bauer/Springer and forget that we actually have a lineup that is already loaded. Without landing the FA stars, the best thing we can do is build up depth and options that does not have a huge dropoff from our starters. We have actually done that while also getting one of the best players in the game and a guy that if he were a FA, would have easily been in the top 3 FA pitchers available.
I am ready to go and don't think the Met's are done either. But the best team we have had in a very long time
I thought McNeil's natural position is 2B? Why move him to 3B in late innings? I'll go with Guillorme at 3B.

I thought McNeil's natural position is 2B? Why move him to 3B in late innings? I'll go with Guillorme at 3B.
True as well. Most likely if going for pure D in a late inning, they get both Villar and Guillorme in there. But you may be correct...

Isn't McCann's signing an admission of going cheap?
I really don't care just trying to show how stupid @RUfinally2008 comment was. He was clueless that it was a minor league deal.
McCann going cheap? Not even close. Could be a better signing than Real at a much lower cost. Saves money for extensions of numerous players. Not shopping at Dollar Tree, just smart shopping

McCann going cheap? Not even close. Could be a better signing than Real at a much lower cost. Saves money for extensions of numerous players. Not shopping at Dollar Tree, just smart shopping
But in the end they went for the cheaper option. The low balled on Springer too on a 6 year deal.
And I still don't care. I was responding to someone else. Perspective.

Shhhh- they have Sanchez and Chirinos...

Just saying

Reactions: RuBird
Michael Mayer reports that the Mets have been in contact with free agent starter Taijuan Walker.
Mayer adds that Walker is "said to be looking for" a multi-year deal worth $10 million per year. That may be a little rich given that spring training opens this week, but the 28-year-old right-hander did excel to the tune of a 2.70 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, and 50/19 K/BB ratio over 53 1/3 innings last season between the Mariners and Blue Jays

Michael Mayer reports that the Mets have been in contact with free agent starter Taijuan Walker.
Mayer adds that Walker is "said to be looking for" a multi-year deal worth $10 million per year. That may be a little rich given that spring training opens this week, but the 28-year-old right-hander did excel to the tune of a 2.70 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, and 50/19 K/BB ratio over 53 1/3 innings last season between the Mariners and Blue Jays
Better stats than Matz.

Better stats than Matz.
Cloer to Bauer stats than Matz stats. lol just saying

Partly joking as they obviously arent that equal but...

My problem is that he seems he has been injured quite a bit over the past few years. $10 mil per in a multi year would concern me. And he would be a 5th starter type guy- not $10 mil which should be a clear #3

Cloer to Bauer stats than Matz stats. lol just saying

Partly joking as they obviously arent that equal but...

My problem is that he seems he has been injured quite a bit over the past few years. $10 mil per in a multi year would concern me. And he would be a 5th starter type guy- not $10 mil which should be a clear #3
Agreed

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Lineup

• CF Brandon Nimmo
  • 2B Jeff McNeil
  • SS Francisco Lindor
  • RF Michael Conforto
  • 1B Pete Alonso
  • LF Dominic Smith
  • 3B J.D. Davis
  • C James McCann

Bench

• C Tomas Nido
  • INF Luis Guillorme
  • INF/OF Jonathan Villar
  • OF Albert Almora Jr.
  • OF Kevin Pillar
Like the lineup but we have two major holes. Defense and depth. IIRC both the Rays and Dodgers were two of the top three defensive teams last season. While we have a quantity of arms, not really sure of the quality beyond Jake, Carrasco and Diaz. Betances and Familia are question marks. Who knows with Stroman, is he healthy and motivated to pitch or just looking to get to FA. We won't know what Petersen is until he has a full season under his belt and Thor may or not be Thor down the stretch. While the team is improved, I still think we are a year or two away from being a serious contender.

Corey Oswalt has cleared waivers and has been outrighted to Syracuse with a camp invite. Brad Brach has cleared waivers and has been released.

Mets now are scheduled to have 72 players in camp, which is a lot. Although someone will have to go when Pillar is officially added to the 40 man.

Reactions: Greg2020
Corey Oswalt has cleared waivers and has been outrighted to Syracuse with a camp invite. Brad Brach has cleared waivers and has been released.

Mets now are scheduled to have 72 players in camp, which is a lot. Although someone will have to go when Pillar is officially added to the 40 man.
Will it be Zamora or Gsellman?

Don’t forget the spin on Jay Bruce is that he’s the perfect left handed hitter for the stadium. Would’ve been “cheap” if he went to Queens at the same price.
You must be quoting that baseball guru who's name escapes me, something that starts with a "k" and ends in a "e" maybe?

don't they have to pay Brach regardless? Why not just stash him in the minors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT