ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020-2021 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your argument falls apart from the start. These are one year players. Who cares who is younger? You are assuming its a lock the Mets resign Lindor. Lindor will be a free agent.
It's not a lock the Mets will resign Lindor, but what other team can afford to sign him? Teams are cutting payroll while the Mets are one of the few adding. You wouldn't make trades like this if there were no chance to resign a stud like Lindor.
Teams do care about age. The Mets care about who is younger. The Mets were full of older players last year who stunk. You had Porcello, Wacha, Cano when he wasn't on 'roids, and Ramos.
the real argument is that Mets already did this type of deal for Lindor/Carasco wouldn’t make sense to do it again for a possible rental.
I said that in my post to BigEast Phil, but some people brushed right over it:
Since the Lindor and Carrasco deal was completed first no need to repeat a similar move with Bryant and Hendricks, which cost as much but provides less production and drains more young talent from the organization.

It's not a lock the Mets will resign Lindor, but what other team can afford to sign him? Teams are cutting payroll while the Mets are one of the few adding. You wouldn't make trades like this if there were no chance to resign a stud like Lindor.
Teams do care about age. The Mets care about who is younger. The Mets were full of older players last year who stunk. You had Porcello, Wacha, Cano when he wasn't on 'roids, and Ramos.

I said that in my post to BigEast Phil, but some people brushed right over it:
Teams don't care about age on a 1 year rental. You do know Bryant is just 29?? Prime of his career.
If attendance returns to baseball plenty of teams will be willing to sign free agents. And the Mets are willing to spend big money?? So far just a myth. They didn't sign Realmuto. They didn't sign Springer. They didn't sign Bauer (that one I agree on) They aren't paying Cano this season so they have an extra $24 million. Did they use that extra money to sign a big free agent?

Maybe. Rumor is Mariners outbid us though.
That is troubling. If it were a matter of contract years I would understand. But on a one-year deal we should not be outbid. It is of course possible that the Mets just don't value Paxton that highly, that they prefer guys like Odorizzi and Walker. But if so, why not go hard after them?

I'll reserve judgement until everything shakes out by Opening Day.

Reactions: Greg2020 and Zak57
Yankees sign Jay Bruce, look who's shopping at Walmart now.
Before you try to turn a minor league deal into a story, how about telling us who have the Mets signed this off season.
Springer? Whiff!
Realmuto? Whiff!
Bauer? Whiff!
Albert Almora Jr and Jonathan Vilar? Dollar Tree signings.

Reactions: Kbee3
Before you try to turn a minor league deal into a story, how about telling us who have the Mets signed this off season.
Springer? Whiff!
Realmuto? Whiff!
Bauer? Whiff!
Albert Almora Jr and Jonathan Vilar? Dollar Tree signings.
Change the word "signed" to "acquired" and it's an entirely different story. Mets have acquired a guy who is better than anyone you've mentioned. Now if they fail to sign him, then you have a point. But I think they will sign him.

Disagree with McCann being cheap.
Avoided going after Realmuto. Yes McCann was the cheap way out. Had they made an offer to him they could have got a bargain. Phillies got a great player at a great contract.

Isn't McCann's signing an admission of going cheap?
I really don't care just trying to show how stupid @RUfinally2008 comment was. He was clueless that it was a minor league deal.
Clearly I knew it was a minor league deal, no reason to get nasty. I was merely taking a shot at a wanna be Amigo that was here busting. Why you took it so personal is very surprising, you being so mature and intelligent an all, lmfao. I fully understand you can't handle the fact the Yankees have been an after thought this off season, but the Yankee invasion into the Mets thread isn't debatable. I was just auditioning for a gig as a 3 Amigo, since that's what they come to this thread and post. Not much over there to get excited about, I'm guessing from the traffic numbers. 😁

Last edited:
Teams don't care about age on a 1 year rental. You do know Bryant is just 29?? Prime of his career.
If attendance returns to baseball plenty of teams will be willing to sign free agents. And the Mets are willing to spend big money?? So far just a myth. They didn't sign Realmuto. They didn't sign Springer. They didn't sign Bauer (that one I agree on) They aren't paying Cano this season so they have an extra $24 million. Did they use that extra money to sign a big free agent?
Cohen didn't own a team last year, so he didn't lose money due to a lack of attendance. This is why Cohen was able to be in on most of the top free agents. Other teams had to be selective.

It goes beyond 1-year rental when it comes to giving away prospects with less of a chance to resign that rental player. And I wouldn't say Bryant is in the prime of his career. You know, as a former athlete, players age at different rates. Bryant suddenly is dealing with injuries. Anyway, the more significant point with Bryant has more to do with the Cubs wanting to hold the Mets hostage to get him. The Cubs want a bigger haul of young talent than what the Mets gave up to get Lindor and Bryant isn't in the same conversation as Lindor.

As for Realmuto, Springer, and Bauer, each had other issues you failed to mention, and those issues played a major role in why they didn't sign. Realmuto had indicated NYC was not his top choice. Some people are not built to handle the bright lights. Other factors include the length of the contract, age, and the Mets have a prospect who they believe is their future catcher. McCann fits better into that timeline for the Mets, and he can give them good production without tying up the position that shows a rapid decline past a certain age. Last, Realmuto used the Mets to get a better deal, and it ended up costing him. Had Realmuto been straight with the Mets from the being, he might have received a bigger contract.

Springer's issue was more about the length of the contract than money. The Mets had no problem with the money per season, but no way were they going to give a guy north of 30 a long contract, especially after seeing what Cano's situation will do to the Mets next year when Cano is back off of 'roids. We saw Cano in 2019 off of 'roids. He was bad and cost a ton of money.

Bauer had success doing what Realmuto was able to do, and that's getting the Mets to bite. No way I would pay Bauer more than deGrom. In the end, L.A. panicked and gave Bauer what he wanted moneywise and a chance to go home.

Cohen didn't own a team last year, so he didn't lose money due to a lack of attendance. This is why Cohen was able to be in on most of the top free agents. Other teams had to be selective.

It goes beyond 1-year rental when it comes to giving away prospects with less of a chance to resign that rental player. And I wouldn't say Bryant is in the prime of his career. You know, as a former athlete, players age at different rates. Bryant suddenly is dealing with injuries. Anyway, the more significant point with Bryant has more to do with the Cubs wanting to hold the Mets hostage to get him. The Cubs want a bigger haul of young talent than what the Mets gave up to get Lindor and Bryant isn't in the same conversation as Lindor.

As for Realmuto, Springer, and Bauer, each had other issues you failed to mention, and those issues played a major role in why they didn't sign. Realmuto had indicated NYC was not his top choice. Some people are not built to handle the bright lights. Other factors include the length of the contract, age, and the Mets have a prospect who they believe is their future catcher. McCann fits better into that timeline for the Mets, and he can give them good production without tying up the position that shows a rapid decline past a certain age. Last, Realmuto used the Mets to get a better deal, and it ended up costing him. Had Realmuto been straight with the Mets from the being, he might have received a bigger contract.

Springer's issue was more about the length of the contract than money. The Mets had no problem with the money per season, but no way were they going to give a guy north of 30 a long contract, especially after seeing what Cano's situation will do to the Mets next year when Cano is back off of 'roids. We saw Cano in 2019 off of 'roids. He was bad and cost a ton of money.

Bauer had success doing what Realmuto was able to do, and that's getting the Mets to bite. No way I would pay Bauer more than deGrom. In the end, L.A. panicked and gave Bauer what he wanted moneywise and a chance to go home.
100% dead on. You nailed it. Some are having a lot of trouble dealing with the Mets in the news, in some cases, driving up the price for anyone coming on the market. The New World Order Of Baseball is causing them a lot of heartache. They already miss the days of cornering the market on any big name, whether in a trade or free agency signing.

Last edited:
Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Clearly I knew it was a minor league deal, no reason to get nasty. I was merely taking a shot at a wanna be Amigo that was here busting. Why you took it so personal is very surprising, you being so mature and intelligent an all, lmfao. I fully understand you can't handle the fact the Yankees have been an after thought this off season, but the Yankee invasion into the Mets thread isn't debatable. I was just auditioning for a gig as a 3 Amigo, since that's what they come to this thread and post. Not much over there to get excited about, I'm guessing from the traffic numbers. 😁
Im not taking it personal at all. Obviously the 3 Amigos get to you.
If the Mets actually signed someone then your post would have been witty and laughable but the Mets with the new owner have gone the bargain route in every free agent signing. What is laughable is your New Order of Mets driving up prices. Bauer possibly. The rest zero impact as they went low ball on Springer and didn't even offer Realmuto basically giving him back to the Phillies at a major discount. Some New Order.

Not going to argue about Bauer I already said that earlier this week. They lowballed Springer. As for your notion that Realmuto couldn't handle the bright light, you have to be kidding me. He plays for the Phillies. If you think that the Mets are tougher to play for in NY you are clueless. The Philly media and fan base are as tough as any city in the world. I lived in both regions NY metro and in Philly. Philly is tougher on their baseball team then the Mets.

Not going to argue about Bauer I already said that earlier this week. They lowballed Springer. As for your notion that Realmuto couldn't handle the bright light, you have to be kidding me. He plays for the Phillies. If you think that the Mets are tougher to play for in NY you are clueless. The Philly media and fan base are as tough as any city in the world. I lived in both regions NY metro and in Philly. Philly is tougher on their baseball team then the Mets.
The Mets didn't lowball Springer. The difference was the number of years. Springer wanted one last big contract of 6 years, and the Mets wanted a shorter deal (3 or 4 years) in terms of length. Realmuto probably could handle the bright lights, but he made it clear the Mets were not as high on his list of preferred teams as some people think. Philly was his first choice, and I think he wanted to use the Mets in the same way Bauer did with the Dodgers. I deal with Philly BS every day with my wife and in-laws. I find Philly media and fans like to tear down their teams and everything around it. Still, you're a big fish in a small pond at the end of the day compared to NY. NY media and fans create legends out of nothing. How else do you explain the love affair of teams like the Rangers and Knicks? All haven't won or come close to winning in years, but those organizations are viewed as iconic. 😲

The Mets didn't lowball Springer. The difference was the number of years. Springer wanted one last big contract of 6 years, and the Mets wanted a shorter deal (3 or 4 years) in terms of length. Realmuto probably could handle the bright lights, but he made it clear the Mets were not as high on his list of preferred teams as some people think. Philly was his first choice, and I think he wanted to use the Mets in the same way Bauer did with the Dodgers. I deal with Philly BS every day with my wife and in-laws. I find Philly media and fans like to tear down their teams and everything around it. Still, you're a big fish in a small pond at the end of the day compared to NY. NY media and fans create legends out of nothing. How else do you explain the love affair of teams like the Rangers and Knicks? All haven't won or come close to winning in years, but those organizations are viewed as iconic. 😲
Forget it, don't even try, he is totally "clueless", {his favorite word}, on the fact it was about the years, not the money per year.

You have been fooled about Realmuto by the crazy guy that runs Metsmerized. Not a true story. But Mets fans use it as an excuse. He simply was going to the highest bidder. Mets Never offered. Went with McCann for less money. Plain and simple
McCann was a good pick up. Again this all started with a foolish statement by 2008.
Your are way off on Philly being a small fish. Way off!
Have a great day. I have to get ready for the Daytona 500 😂

You have been fooled about Realmuto by the crazy guy that runs Metsmerized. Not a true story. But Mets fans use it as an excuse. He simply was going to the highest bidder. Mets Never offered. Went with McCann for less money. Plain and simple
McCann was a good pick up. Again this all started with a foolish statement by 2008.
Your are way off on Philly being a small fish. Way off!
Have a great day. I have to get ready for the Daytona 500 😂
What I find ironic is you got your panties in a wad over a post I made to someone not named Whitebus, and then you say I obviously let the Amigos get to me, clearly, I get to you. My Walmart post was to someone who comes in here and mocks all things Mets, and it got under your skin, admit it!!!! Too friggin funny.

Met's have had one of the top 3 off seasons this year...maybe some debate with LA/SD...

I count the trade along with solid FA signings. I wish we could have brought in Springer and or Realmuto but everything in my gut tells me that Realmuto had no plans to ever sign in NY.
Springer- we lost out by $30 mil. Kind of a bummer but that is a lot of money and to me, way over value. I sort of wonder...Did Toronto HAVE to go $30 mil over to get him? Everyone has a number...

Bauer - well, umm, thanks but no thanks.

Hand- wants to close

JBJ is still way over valuing himself...

NO DH- well, that holds back a lot of things...

Bryant? Maybe do that trade if we didn't already do Lindor. But not both

So of the fill ins like Paxton? Either sounds like Sandy has a number he won't go over for anyone or, some players are 1) Using NY to drive up value 2) just don't want to play in NY...

But again- We have had a GREAT off season

This team is so far ahead of where it left off last year. We have upgraded every single part of the team.

Starting pitching Check
Relief Pitching Check
Offense Check
Catcher Check
Speed Check
And here is the trick spot...Defense- funny thing is...we did improve significantly. By upgrading SS and Catcher and giving McNeil 2B over Cano last couple of years- while we still are not good- it is a significant improvement.

Met's have had one of the top 3 off seasons this year...maybe some debate with LA/SD...

I count the trade along with solid FA signings. I wish we could have brought in Springer and or Realmuto but everything in my gut tells me that Realmuto had no plans to ever sign in NY.
Springer- we lost out by $30 mil. Kind of a bummer but that is a lot of money and to me, way over value. I sort of wonder...Did Toronto HAVE to go $30 mil over to get him? Everyone has a number...

Bauer - well, umm, thanks but no thanks.

Hand- wants to close

JBJ is still way over valuing himself...

NO DH- well, that holds back a lot of things...

Bryant? Maybe do that trade if we didn't already do Lindor. But not both

So of the fill ins like Paxton? Either sounds like Sandy has a number he won't go over for anyone or, some players are 1) Using NY to drive up value 2) just don't want to play in NY...

But again- We have had a GREAT off season

This team is so far ahead of where it left off last year. We have upgraded every single part of the team.

Starting pitching Check
Relief Pitching Check
Offense Check
Catcher Check
Speed Check
And here is the trick spot...Defense- funny thing is...we did improve significantly. By upgrading SS and Catcher and giving McNeil 2B over Cano last couple of years- while we still are not good- it is a significant improvement.
100% Clearly this goes against everything a couple of people are trying to sell, lol. LFGM!!!!!

What I find ironic is you got your panties in a wad over a post I made to someone not named Whitebus, and then you say I obviously let the Amigos get to me, clearly, I get to you. My Walmart post was to someone who comes in here and mocks all things Mets, and it got under your skin, admit it!!!! Too friggin funny.
What I find ironic is you going out of your way to respond to my post to @cubuffsdoug . I have no issue with him. We are just talking hot stove stuff. Pitchers and catchers start in 4 days. Start adding something of substance for a change.

What I find ironic is you going out of your way to respond to my post to @cubuffsdoug . I have no issue with him. We are just talking hot stove stuff. Pitchers and catchers start in 4 days. Start adding something of substance for a change.
Lol, Hello pot, calling the kettle black. Just can't admit I got under your skin can you? Do you have a problem with Walmart? Your idea and my idea of something of substance should at least start with you got aggravated and jumped into a post and won't admit it pissed you off, got personnel and can't handle a rebuttal. I can talk baseball all day as I'm 65 and have played and followed baseball intently for 60 years, but not with a butt hurt baby who lashes out at most peoples dissenting opinions. Put me on ignore, it's what your known for.

Last edited:
Lol, Hello pot, calling the kettle black. Just can't admit I got under your skin can you? Do you have a problem with Walmart?
Just admit you were wrong about the Mets offer to Springer. It was a 6 year deal not a 5 year deal. Big whiff on your part. Embarrassing for a guy that says he knows baseball but in the end just a troll

• Haha
Reactions: RUfinally2008
Just admit you were wrong about the Mets offer to Springer. It was a 6 year deal not a 5 year deal. Big whiff on your part. Embarrassing for a guy that says he knows baseball but in the end just a troll
You know what is funny- I wasn't paying attention either and thought the Tor/Met offers to Springer were 5 year deals.

You are correct that it is a 6 year deal...makes the spread not as great...I do wonder if the DH was a done deal, if the Met's would have went higher.

Not seeing how 5 or 6 years makes the two of you go at it like this...Thinking this argument should just end and let's get back to talking about things going on with the Met's and not have pages of back and forth when it really doesn't matter.

Clearly the Lugo news necessitated this move, and I'm sure one or two more fliers on arms will be done with the Mets currently at 70 and the MLB allowed is 75.. It always sucks when a key player goes down before spring training even starts. In retrospect, it allows them more time to address the situation. A lot better than this happening late March.https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/mets-sign-mike-montgomery-tommy-hunter

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Good pitcher who can't stay healthy. He has never pitched more than 160.1 innings in a season. That's really not good when you're 31.

Agreed if he was our main add but as a depth piece this late in the offseason it would have been a good sign. Team is $30-$35 million under the luxury tax so we have more money to spend. With the innings limits that will be on all the SP this year the more depth you have will be key.

Jared Hughes, 2020 Met reliever possibly best known for always sprinting in from the bullpen, has announced his retirement at age 35. His wife is starting her own legal practice, and I guess it's his turn to play Mr. Mom.

Justin Wilson only got one year $4 million with the Yankees. Not sure why we let him go for that cheap.

Reactions: Greg2020
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT