ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020-2021 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw somewhere that Mets would be giving up "a player", whatever that means.

Not giving up any major leaguer so might be giving up a younger lottery ticket. We'll see but seems like a great deal to stock a promising OF not too far away.

Generally PBTNL's are of two types:

1) A marginal major leaguer, or major league ready prospect, who requires protection on the 40 man roster. However, the acquiring team does not have the roster space. So the name is withheld until space is cleared - maybe through another deal that is in the works. IF (big if) that's the case here, it could be somebody like Szapucki or Kilome.

2) More likely, the teams agree on a list of three or four younger prospects, and the acquiring team gets to choose from that list at the end of the minor league season. So if that's the case, we may not know for quite a while.

MLB.com scouting report on Lee, using the 20-80 scale (where 50 represents the average MLB starter):

Hit - 45
Run - 55
Field - 55
Power - 50
Arm - 60
Overall - 50

Summary Comment: He can handle playing center field, but he likely fits better as a right fielder, profiling as an above-average defender with a plus arm. Lee could develop into an everyday player if he can clean up his approach and tap into more of his raw power, but he does enough things well in all facets of the game to offer floor value as a fourth outfielder.

Note that this evaluation is a year old. The updated evaluations will be out next month.

So it’s ok to sign your former client to a 2 year contract knowing that he had previous injuries? 👍🏼
Look- I get it that BVW without a doubt signed a number of ex clients. But that was lack of experience and stupidity. But he did this actually thinking these players would help him be successful in his new job. It wasn’t for the benefit of the player because they were his ex client and purposely giving them crazy contracts...

Reactions: Greg2020
Look- I get it that BVW without a doubt signed a number of ex clients. But that was lack of experience and stupidity. But he did this actually thinking these players would help him be successful in his new job. It wasn’t for the benefit of the player because they were his ex client and purposely giving them crazy contracts...
How many times do I have to say that IMO BVW signed a player who was hurt (and it was documented that he was hurt at the time of the signing)?

PTBNL. Usually someone who wouldn’t be missed. Hopefully.
Players to be named later are selected by the receiving team based on a list of players given by the team giving up the player before the first trade is completed.
There are a handful of Player to Be Named who actually were traded for themselves, returning to the team that traded them away.

Reactions: tico brown
Lee was drafted in 2016 and has not played above AA right? While we may not have given up much to characterize this as a steal seems to be a very optimistic projection of Lee's prospects. To me it seems like Benintendi's stock has really dropped or the Red Sox are looking to pare some salary.

Lee was drafted in 2016 and has not played above AA right? While we may not have given up much to characterize this as a steal seems to be a very optimistic projection of Lee's prospects. To me it seems like Benintendi's stock has really dropped or the Red Sox are looking to pare some salary.
2016 - Rookie League
2017 - Low A
2018 - High A
2019 - AA
2020 - No minor leagues.

For a player drafted out of HS, Lee's progression has been fine.

Clearly Lee was not a prized prospect, but he does (or at least did) project as a major league starter. And guys do outperform their minor league scouting projections. See McNeil, Jeff.

That said, if a deal seems to good to be true, it generally is. We need to know who the PBTNL is.

Reactions: Greg2020
How many times do I have to say that IMO BVW signed a player who was hurt (and it was documented that he was hurt at the time of the signing)?
I think BVW was just unqualified and made very stupid moves. I don’t think he benefits from signing ex clients. They were a security blanket

An injured hack and a steroid user. and the Mets needed neither. Nice job BVW lol.
I hope that the Met's can find a way to use his steroid use to either nullify or reduce his contract. You would think there should be a breach in there somewhere. Or a loophole.

Reactions: tico brown
I hope that the Met's can find a way to use his steroid use to either nullify or reduce his contract. You would think there should be a breach in there somewhere. Or a loophole.
If you are referring to Cano, I don't see what legal recourse the Mets have. Cano is a second time offender. The penalty is clear - one year suspension without pay. Nothing more, nothing less. That penalty is being imposed. What is the justification for more?

Mets announce the Lee acquisition and place him on the 40 man. To make room, catcher Ali Sanchez has been DFA'd.

When the Villar signing is announced, someone else will have to go.

If you are referring to Cano, I don't see what legal recourse the Mets have. Cano is a second time offender. The penalty is clear - one year suspension without pay. Nothing more, nothing less. That penalty is being imposed. What is the justification for more?
Legally I do not see an escape mechanism from the contract. The penalties are those agreed upon by the PA and MLB. Unfortunately we are stuck with him for two more seasons. Let's hope the DH is in place when he returns. It's a shame in the sense that he was most likely a HOF player before the PED thing. Now he gets lumped into the A-Rod group for me.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Legally I do not see an escape mechanism from the contract. The penalties are those agreed upon by the PA and MLB. Unfortunately we are stuck with him for two more seasons. Let's hope the DH is in place when he returns. It's a shame in the sense that he was most likely a HOF player before the PED thing. Now he gets lumped into the A-Rod group for me.
Maybe he wouldn't have been a HOF level player without steroids.

Not that I'm wishing for it, but what if he's caught again in a PED situation?

Reactions: cicero grimes
Do they have anything to do with acts that may be detrimental to the organization or something like that? Maybe not something directly to do with Steroids but some other clause. I am sure they did not specify Boar hunting with Cespedes.
I don't know but just seems that this is something a team should be able to do something about.

Do they have anything to do with acts that may be detrimental to the organization or something like that? Maybe not something directly to do with Steroids but some other clause. I am sure they did not specify Boar hunting with Cespedes.
I don't know but just seems that this is something a team should be able to do something about.
And maybe if not, if they were to ship him off to someone and picked up most of his contract, does that money still count against the LT or is it just a cash loss?

To make room on the 40 man for Villar, Mets DFA Brad Brach and his guaranteed contract. Did not see that coming.

Should have cut Gsellman
I thought they'd cut Zamora. He is a lefty though, and that still counts for something I guess. Obviously they decided they were done with Brach and were willing to eat his contract. I guess they still have hopes for Gsellman, Zamora, etc.

Mets announce the Lee acquisition and place him on the 40 man. To make room, catcher Ali Sanchez has been DFA'd.

When the Villar signing is announced, someone else will have to go.
I thought sanchez was a big time prospect at least a couple years ago

I thought sanchez was a big time prospect at least a couple years ago
Not really. He's always been thought of as having plus defensive tools, but below-average offense and little power. In other words, his ceiling is as a backup.

Interesting to me that the Mets obviously prioritized Mazeika over Sanchez. Mazeika isn't as good defensively, but he can hit a little. He's a lefty hitter, which is rare among catchers.

They are all placeholders to get to Francisco Alvarez, a legitimate four-tool prospect. (Four is about the maximum for a catcher. Most don't run well.)

Hearing Met's are inquiring about Matt Chapman at 3B...hmmmmm
Carton and Roberts “ disclosed” this yesterday. Chapman has several more years of control so ask will be a lot and A’s like prospects so likelihood of deal is remote in my opinion. Best trade alternative I see is Bryant given his pending free agency and salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT