ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020-2021 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a Mets fan, but I think they've had a great off-season. They pulled off a great trade and dodged the Bauer bullet which would have locked up 1/5 of your payroll for at least 2 years.

Here is why I think it's smart not to go after another big money free agent and should only go after mid-level guys at this point:

1). Lack of prospect depth - Teams need those talented but low price options to fill in the gaps. At this point, the Mets aren't exactly flush with high level young talent that hasn't been called up so they'll have to fill in with free agents that will cost more money.

2). Cano contract albatross - Sure, maybe he'll give you a little bit of production, but is it gonna be worth his contract? No, and you still have to worry about it for 2 more seasons.

3). Free agency next year + possible work stoppage + cap issues - The Mets have 5 relatively big name free agents next season. Some must re-sign (Lindor, Conforto, Noah). some if they play well (Stroman, Familia). All will get raises, except maybe the last 2. Where's the cash coming from?

They shouldn't sign anyone else this year unless it's on a 1 year deal. You guys who want them to go for the big agent splash this year, really don't see the long term play in my opinion.

and no dh too???
The changes that are about to be approved are for health and safety purposes. The DH is not. The sad thing is the EVERYONE wants the universal DH. But the owners decided to use it as a bargaining chip for extended playoffs. The players called their bluff, but it looks like they aren't bluffing.

The changes that are about to be approved are for health and safety purposes. The DH is not. The sad thing is the EVERYONE wants the universal DH. But the owners decided to use it as a bargaining chip for extended playoffs. The players called their bluff, but it looks like they aren't bluffing.
it sucks for the mets and baseball

Not a Mets fan, but I think they've had a great off-season. They pulled off a great trade and dodged the Bauer bullet which would have locked up 1/5 of your payroll for at least 2 years.

Here is why I think it's smart not to go after another big money free agent and should only go after mid-level guys at this point:

1). Lack of prospect depth - Teams need those talented but low price options to fill in the gaps. At this point, the Mets aren't exactly flush with high level young talent that hasn't been called up so they'll have to fill in with free agents that will cost more money.

2). Cano contract albatross - Sure, maybe he'll give you a little bit of production, but is it gonna be worth his contract? No, and you still have to worry about it for 2 more seasons.

3). Free agency next year + possible work stoppage + cap issues - The Mets have 5 relatively big name free agents next season. Some must re-sign (Lindor, Conforto, Noah). some if they play well (Stroman, Familia). All will get raises, except maybe the last 2. Where's the cash coming from?

They shouldn't sign anyone else this year unless it's on a 1 year deal. You guys who want them to go for the big agent splash this year, really don't see the long term play in my opinion.

on #3 I would put Noah clearly in the if he performs well category with regard to resigning him. Lots of uncertainty coming back from arm surgery and he needs to become a better pitcher rather than just relying on his stuff. Of course if they are truly deadening the baseball, it will be interesting to see the impact on pitching and hitting statistics.

Reactions: Rhuarc
He's a great base runner and provides depth up the middle. After that he doesn't bring much else to the table. Has only had one good offensive season in the last 4. Can't play the OF well.

Reactions: Greg2020
Not for nothing but as I can now take a good look at the off season and what did or did not happen for the Met's...For very little money "so to speak" - they resigned a solid starter. They got a true number 2 starter in a trade. Also traded out a problem SP and brought in a potential decent 4/5 starter. And hopefully Noah comes back strong
Did not spend $40 mil on a question mark AH...
Inf- Picked up what could be the best SS in their history and a top 5-10 MLB player. Got a utility player like Villar who could be a starter on many teams and finally get real speed and a disruptive baserunner. Can also help in the OF if needed. Is there a better hitting Inf?
Picker up a good hitting extra OF and a late inning replacement OF for very little money. Still have one of the best hitting OF's in MLB and guys that can spell them in late innings.
Picked up a solid catcher. Saved $75 mil
Brought in a couple of good BP arms. And the addition of the starters allows Lugo back to the BP
Bench with Guillumore, Almora, Martinez(maybe), Villar is now pretty solid

We may not have signed Springer/Realmuto/Bauer but We made this a solid contender from top to bottom and have cash left over for the moves we need to make for the future...

Not for nothing but as I can now take a good look at the off season and what did or did not happen for the Met's...For very little money "so to speak" - they resigned a solid starter. They got a true number 2 starter in a trade. Also traded out a problem SP and brought in a potential decent 4/5 starter. And hopefully Noah comes back strong
Inf- Picked up what could be the best SS in their history and a top 5-10 MLB player. Got a utility player like Villar who could be a starter on many teams and finally get real speed and a disruptive baserunner. Can also help in the OF if needed. Is there a better hitting Inf?
Picker up a good hitting extra OF and a late inning replacement OF for very little money. Still have one of the best hitting OF's in MLB and guys that can spell them in late innings.
Brought in a couple of good BP arms. And the addition of the starters allows Lugo back to the BP

We may not have signed Springer/Realmuto/Bauer but We made this a solid contender from top to bottom and have cash left over for the moves we need to make for the future...
But... But... it’s a complete whiff!!!!!!

Sheeeiiiiitttt!!! I would sign up for this off-season back in November. Here’s hoping for a great season, despite Manfred’s efforts to ruin baseball.

He's a great base runner and provides depth up the middle. After that he doesn't bring much else to the table. Has only had one good offensive season in the last 4. Can't play the OF well.
Quoting Jackson Browne “ Runnin on empty”. Depth move but his skills have evaporated significantly

Couldn't agree more with your comments. It would be nice if we could pick up one more starter for the backend of the rotation.

Reactions: tico brown
Quoting Jackson Browne “ Runnin on empty”. Depth move but his skills have evaporated significantly
I have to ask how you come up with this? 2019 was his best season ever and was an offensive force, 2020 was, well, 2020...1 year removed from his best season...And keep in mind- he is not here as our one big FA and slotted to be our starter and leadoff man like it would have been for the past 20 years or so.
This is a guy that would start and quite a few teams and let's say he did slip from 2019, he would most likely be a .260 guy with great speed and some pop in his bat.

It is a major reach to find anything wrong with a 1 year 3.5 mil contract for this guy and have him behind, McNeil, Lindor, Davis

I have to ask how you come up with this? 2019 was his best season ever and was an offensive force, 2020 was, well, 2020...1 year removed from his best season...And keep in mind- he is not here as our one big FA and slotted to be our starter and leadoff man like it would have been for the past 20 years or so.
This is a guy that would start and quite a few teams and let's say he did slip from 2019, he would most likely be a .260 guy with great speed and some pop in his bat.

It is a major reach to find anything wrong with a 1 year 3.5 mil contract for this guy and have him behind, McNeil, Lindor, Davis
I have a feeling that his opinion would’ve been that Vilar would’ve been a DJL type signing if he signed in the Bronx.

Villar was a smart signing. The Marlins paid him $8.5M last year. Much better than the $10M a year we gave Jed Lowrie.
Now sign Kevin Pillar to play CF and get a backend SP like Jake Aderrozi or James Paxton and I think we contend for the NL East.

Reactions: Greg2020
Villar was a smart signing. The Marlins paid him $8.5M last year. Much better than the $10M a year we gave Jed Lowrie.
Now sign Kevin Pillar to play CF and get a backend SP like Jake Aderrozi or James Paxton and I think we contend for the NL East.
Are you saying Pilar as a late inning substitute?

The bus is pretty much at capacity now. Assuming no DH (which is not carved in stone yet, from what I understand), here's the 26 man opening day roster:

STARTING LINEUP (8)
Nimmo CF
Lindor SS
Conforto RF
Alonso 1B
Smith LF
Davis 3B
McNeil 2B
McCann C

BENCH (5)
Nido C
Guillorme IF
Villar IF-OF
Martinez OF
Almora OF

STARTING PITCHER (5)
deGrom
Stroman
Carrasco
Peterson
Lucchesi, Yamamoto, Eichkoff, Reid-Foley, McWilliams, Oswalt, Kilome, Szapucki (I could go on but you get the idea)

RELIEF PITCHER (8)
Diaz
May
Loup
Lugo
Familia
Betances
Brach
One of the fifth starter candidates, or somebody else.

Insofar as position players go, I think we're done. Unless we're not.

I'd like to sign Rosenthal for the pen and see if we can dump Betances or Familia.

I'd like to sign Rosenthal for the pen and see if we can dump Betances or Familia.
The way a salary dump like that MAYBE could work is if you trade Familia plus cash for some mid-level prospect. The amount of cash is equal to Familia's salary. You're not saving any money that way, but you do get him off your books, which I think would help for luxury tax purposes.

Playing in oblivion in Baltimore in a hitters park in 2019 for a cellar dweller is an anomaly

If he was anymore than bench depth, Orioles or other teams would have signed him to start given his terrific 2019.

He’s a career .259 hitter with speed who will be used for bench depth - which is what his value is - for depth.

Hopefully there’s also a catcher to sign to round out depth as well because as you know I am not comfortable with Nido being the primary back up. By

The bus is pretty much at capacity now. Assuming no DH (which is not carved in stone yet, from what I understand), here's the 26 man opening day roster:

STARTING LINEUP (8)
Nimmo CF
Lindor SS
Conforto RF
Alonso 1B
Smith LF
Davis 3B
McNeil 2B
McCann C

BENCH (5)
Nido C
Guillorme IF
Villar IF-OF
Martinez OF
Almora OF

STARTING PITCHER (5)
deGrom
Stroman
Carrasco
Peterson
Lucchesi, Yamamoto, Eichkoff, Reid-Foley, McWilliams, Oswalt, Kilome, Szapucki (I could go on but you get the idea)

RELIEF PITCHER (8)
Diaz
May
Loup
Lugo
Familia
Betances
Brach

No DH this year. MLB and Players agreed to final rule changes. 7 inning doubleheaders. Man on 2nd in extra innings. Love them both.

Slowly clearing out all the albatross contracts (Wright/Cespedes/Lowrie, etc.). Next up Familia, Betances, and Cano. Maybe someday in my lifetime we'll even be out from under Bobby Bo. :)

From where I sit, no team helped themselves more than the Mets this off season. Haters gonna hate, f-em.

STARTING LINEUP (8)
Nimmo CF
Lindor SS
Conforto RF
Alonso 1B
Smith LF
Davis 3B
McNeil 2B
McCann C

BENCH (5)
Nido C
Guillorme IF
Villar IF-OF
Martinez OF
Almora OF

STARTING PITCHER (5)
deGrom
Stroman
Carrasco
Peterson

RELIEF PITCHER (8)
Diaz
May
Loup
Lugo
Familia
Betances
Brach

Wasting McNeil batting him 8th. I would flip him and Nimmo.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Slowly clearing out all the albatross contracts (Wright/Cespedes/Lowrie, etc.). Next up Familia, Betances, and Cano. Maybe someday in my lifetime we'll even be out from under Bobby Bo. :)
Bonilla is paid 1 million per year. That is not preventing them from doing anything.

I want both McNeil and Nimmo up front

Nimmo CF -just a complete annoyance to a pitcher...working the count as well
McNeil 2B - guy can pull it, hit behind the runner, H&R and turn on it if needed
Lindor SS
Alonso 1B
Conforto RF
Smith LF
Davis 3B
McCann C
I'm good with that too.

I want both McNeil and Nimmo up front

Nimmo CF -just a complete annoyance to a pitcher...working the count as well
McNeil 2B - guy can pull it, hit behind the runner, H&R and turn on it if needed
Lindor SS
Alonso 1B
Conforto RF
Smith LF
Davis 3B
McCann C

That’s exactly the lineup I envision as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT