ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2023-2024 Off Season Thread

Clearly,Altuve doesn't need to cheat to hit dramatic HR's.As clutch a post season player as any in recent memory. Want to once again send a thank you to Max for starting the Astros on this 3 game winning streak.

Random thoughts:
- Max in WS 🤦‍♂️
- Expecting loss tonight, but major props to D-backs here

Because he’s there with TX and not NY
Considering that we missed the playoffs by nine games, and that Scherzer only made eight regular season starts for Texas, I don't think his absence was critical.

Let it go man, let it go

Considering that we missed the playoffs by nine games, and that Scherzer only made eight regular season starts for Texas, I don't think his absence was critical.

Let it go man, let it go
Max/JV/Peterson/Pham/Cahna may have squeaked us in but we wouldnt have done much- worked out better to get some of these prospects

Reactions: RUfinally2008
If we have to pay Max to pitch anyway, let the over the hill, excuse maker pitch for Texas. Very happy we became sellers after I really thought it was too early to sell. I was wrong, and happy I was.

Couple of final things on this postseason. Crazy the road team dominance in both LCS. Also both World Series teams lost over 100 games 2 years ago. Just goes to show how quickly its possible to go from the bottom rung of the ladder to the very top.

LFGM !!

FTP and FTB !!!!

One Good thing for Philly fans last night ….they can now focus all their attention on the Mets managerial search and free agency targets !!!

• Haha
So Max removes himself after 3 innings of game #3 of the WS. Nothing like putting a huge strain on the Bullpen for the rest of series. Next year the Rangers will have to deal with this guy and deGrom after every start. Best trade the Mets could have made flushing Max away from the franchise.

Such a great picture.
398150601_845245380936199_3947021045484821582_n.jpg

Reactions: Plum Street
ICYMI - Craig Counsell has interviewed with the Mets and the Guardians. He will now assess his options (which include returning to the Brewers) and make a decision when he is ready.

Clearly he is the Mets Plan A. I am sure they have a B list, but have not yet acted on it.

Actually, he will be taking up a roster spot on the 40 man during the offseason. Once the season starts, they will transfer him to the 60 day IL, which doesn't count for 40 man roster purposes.
Doesn't that mean that someone else will have to be exposed to the Rule 5 draft?

Doesn't that mean that someone else will have to be exposed to the Rule 5 draft?
Yes and no. It leaves one less spot on the 40 man so the team will have one less spot to protect a Rule 5 eligible player. There's also a lot of clutter on the 40 man so more spots will open.

The Mets current 40 man consists of 15 position players and 25 pitchers. One of the pitchers (Carlos Carrasco) is a free agent who will come off, so that leaves 39 and 24. Of the 24 pitchers, I'd say about half are non-tender candidates. Here goes:

Peyton Battenfield
Phil Bickford
Jeff Brigham
Sam Coonrod
John Curtiss
Reed Garrett
Trevor Gott
Elieser Hernandez
Bryce Montes de Oca
Sean Reid-Foley
Denyi Reyes
Drew Smith
Josh Walker.

That's 13 who COULD be non-tendered, at least half of them will be.

There are IMO only three non-tender candidates among the position players: Daniel Vogelbach (almost certainly), Tim Locastro (likely), and Luis Guillorme (unlikely but possible).

The Mets also need to make a decision on whether to pick up Brooks Raley's option (highly likely). Conversely, Adam Ottavino and Omar Narvaez must decide whether to exercise their opt-outs (highly unlikely).

From what I understand, the Mets don't have that many prospects that they need to protect. The top prospects are either already on the roster (like Acuna and Mauricio, who still has rookie status), or don't need to be protected yet (like Gilbert, Clifford, Williams, and Parada).

The deadline for clubs and/or players to exercise options is five days after the end of the World Series. The deadline for setting the 40 man roster prior to the Rule 5 draft is November 14.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
The Mets current 40 man consists of 15 position players and 25 pitchers. One of the pitchers (Carlos Carrasco) is a free agent who will come off, so that leaves 39 and 24. Of the 24 pitchers, I'd say about half are non-tender candidates. Here goes:

Peyton Battenfield
Phil Bickford
Jeff Brigham
Sam Coonrod
John Curtiss
Reed Garrett
Trevor Gott
Elieser Hernandez
Bryce Montes de Oca
Sean Reid-Foley
Denyi Reyes
Drew Smith
Josh Walker.

That's 12 who COULD be non-tendered, at least half of them will be.

There are IMO only three non-tender candidates among the position players: Daniel Vogelbach (almost certainly), Tim Locastro (likely), and Luis Guillorme (unlikely but possible).

The Mets also need to make a decision on whether to pick up Brooks Raley's option (highly likely). Conversely, Adam Ottavino and Omar Narvaez must decide whether to exercise their opt-outs (highly unlikely).

From what I understand, the Mets don't have that many prospects that they need to protect. The top prospects are either already on the roster (like Acuna and Mauricio, who still has rookie status), or don't need to be protected yet (like Gilbert, Clifford, Williams, and Parada).

The deadline for clubs and/or players to exercise options is five days after the end of the World Series. The deadline for setting the 40 man roster prior to the Rule 5 draft is November 14.
Coonrod was unsuccessful also with the Giants and the Phillies. He "loses focus."

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT