ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Meet of Champs

newell138

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Ocean City NJ via South Brunswick and Denville
Some incredible performances yesterday by NJ HS athletes including a state record by Malachi James at 10.28. Would have loved to see him wearing an RU track uniform next year but he is going to the frozen tundra to play football and run track. 4:04 in the 1600 by a junior is incredible as well and the fact that 4:09 only gets you 4th shows that NJ can run with the best.

cover-1718251757.png

Last edited:
Some incredible performances yesterday by NJ HS athletes including a state record by Malachi James at 10.28. Would have loved to see him wearing an RU track uniform next year but he is going to the frozen tundra to play football and run track. 4:04 in the 1600 by a junior is incredible as well and the fact that 4:09 only gets you 4th shows that NJ can run with the best.

10.28 is obnoxiously fast. Between the ones you mentioned, the girl Wynn and some of the throws, that was a hell of a meet - with a good amount of that talent coming back next year.

10.28 is obnoxiously fast. Between the ones you mentioned, the girl Wynn and some of the throws, that was a hell of a meet - with a good amount of that talent coming back next year.

this girl from Eastern may actually push some of Sydney McLaughlin's records which is hard to fathom.. She is only a sophomore and running faster than a lot of boys her age. 3 state titles!

Dumas, a sophomore, won the 400 hurdles in 58.98, No. 7 in NJ history, the 400 in 53.16, also No. 7 in state history, and capped off her trifecta by splitting 52.57 on he anchor carry when she rallied Eastern to victory in the 4x400 in 3:49.01.

dumas_mocs_out_2024_400m.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BLewis1968
I understand a number of the top performers weren't even there, for some events, due to the timing of the meet conflicting with other national meets. The frosh from the Girl's Union Catholic team, come to mind.

Reactions: newell138
this girl from Eastern may actually push some of Sydney McLaughlin's records which is hard to fathom.. She is only a sophomore and running faster than a lot of boys her age. 3 state titles!

Dumas, a sophomore, won the 400 hurdles in 58.98, No. 7 in NJ history, the 400 in 53.16, also No. 7 in state history, and capped off her trifecta by splitting 52.57 on he anchor carry when she rallied Eastern to victory in the 4x400 in 3:49.01.

dumas_mocs_out_2024_400m.png
Very impressive. She would have beaten me in the 400 in HS. I'd have a good chance at taking the 800 though and the 1600, 3200 would be all mine, relatively speaking.

We have some world-class runners at my "other" home, Washington Township in Gloucester County. Ajani Dwyer, in particular. For some reason he didn't do meet of champions, but he was breaking NJ records all year.

Last I heard he'd going to Penn State for soccer (big time goal-scorer) and track. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play soccer; he's pretty good, but not world-class in that. College players will know better how to offset his speed...

We have some world-class runners at my "other" home, Washington Township in Gloucester County. Ajani Dwyer, in particular. For some reason he didn't do meet of champions, but he was breaking NJ records all year.

Last I heard he'd going to Penn State for soccer (big time goal-scorer) and track. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play soccer; he's pretty good, but not world-class in that. College players will know better how to offset his speed...
Likely skipped to run nationals

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT