ADVERTISEMENT

OT: No thread on Ralph Cirella from the Stern show

Ouch. Guy stepped in it being Howard's wardrobe guy. Could be unlikable on the air, but there was so much schtick, who knows what he was like in real life. RIP.

---------------------------------
This comment under the NY Post story sums it up pretty well:

"Durward Kirby
2 hours ago

RIP, Ralphycakes. He was like a pro wrestling villain - the guy everyone loved to hate years ago when the Stern Show was funny. Stern in 2023 is as unlistenable as crop reports or soccer highlights
."
---------------------------------------
Wonder how John the Stutterer feels about this?

Last edited:
Probably not a thread because nobody knows who the guy is? Never heard of him (then again I stopped listening to this idiot a long time ago) until just now.
Agree! Who? How many years has Stern been off free radio?? I liked him for a second when he came to NYC.

"In fact, I came to think of Ralph as family.'

Howard could have taken care of him and insisted he got on payroll and health insurance. C'mon.
I saw somewhere that Stern makes $190 million a year and has a net worth over $900 million. If he was so close to the guy either pay for his health insurance or pay his medical bills.

Started listening to Stern in ‘86 after graduating and moving back up here from FLA. never really like any segment when Ralph was on, but RIP Ralph gone way too early. I listened to Stern just about every morning from ‘86 until about 6 or so years ago. Even on Sirriuos Radio. I still have Sirrious radio but can’t listen anymore Not a big fan of entertainers spouting about their politics, like it really Matters. And no, Howard is not the only one from either side doing it.
RIP Ralph you were more than just a guest on a radio show.

Started listening to Stern in ‘86 after graduating and moving back up here from FLA. never really like any segment when Ralph was on, but RIP Ralph gone way too early. I listened to Stern just about every morning from ‘86 until about 6 or so years ago. Even on Sirriuos Radio. I still have Sirrious radio but can’t listen anymore Not a big fan of entertainers spouting about their politics, like it really Matters. And no, Howard is not the only one from either side doing it.
RIP Ralph you were more than just a guest on a radio show.
About the same for me, except was in NJ area from beginning of show. Remember when he first came out to Philly and knocked the Morning Zoo of the top spot. Ruthless. Have recordings of all the Channel 9 shows from the early 1990s. Remember living in North Carolina, and some guy from Tennesse knew I was from NJ, and was asking what the deal was with that Howard Stern guy.

Think that Ralph was given the "role" as the heel just like in professional wrestling. He was annoying. John the Stutterer going after him was funny. Nope, have not listened in a lot of years. Tried and it is worse than The View now.

This is insulting to the many other folks who passed away and were remembered here.

Last edited:
Within the industry, Howard Stern is known as one of the meanest, most selfish, narcissistic people around

Just look at how he treated Robin Williams — then worst of all, tried to garner sympathy for calling him on the day that he committed suicide (probably a lie in itself)

Stern’s pocket change could have fronted Cirella’s health costs — but Howard’s just a horrible person

I met Ralph a few times back in the 90s. Maybe 97 or 98. He rented a shore house in Belmar with a few guys I knew. He was a nice, normal guy from what I could tell from those few interactions. Sorry to hear he passed away.

Still listen to him, he's still a great interviewer. Although, some of the people he talks too are not interesting at all.

He said on air he's been trying to get Ralph to go to Doctor appointments for years and he never would. Ralph got diagnosed with Lymphoma, but he caught it too late. Howard had set up a bunch of visits for him, but he passed away and it was too late.

Stern went woke, show downhill. Ralph was his wardrobe assistant
Went "downhill" long before that IMHO. I forget who it was - maybe Jenny McCarthy - who called him out when she was live on his show. She knew EXACTLY what questions were coming and how he'd respond to the answers (based on whether or not they met his approval and "are you gonna get naked or not"). He was/is THAT obvious about everything. Never listened again after that show because she was spot-on. His schtick was old and boring (and that was probably, 25 years ago). God Bless, he made it HUGE, won't take that away from him BUT never listened/watched again.

I used to listed to Stern every morning before high school, while he was still on K-Rock. I believe he made the move over to Sirius my freshman year at RU (2005-06). From then on, I became a huge fan of Opie and Anthony as they then split time between K-Rock and XM. It was just easier to listen to as I didn't have satellite radio as a lowly college freshman/sophomore. It's sad to see what's become of the Stern show. He's come out and said he hates the fanbase he built over those decades, referring to them as "disgusting"...and not in a playful way. The Stern of 1995 would hate the Stern of 2023. He's become exactly what his "anti-hero" persona railed against. How many more interviews can he do with Rosie O'Donnell and the ladies of The View?

RIP to Ralph Cirella - good bit personality on the show from time to time

As an aside, are there any Stern fans on the board that have followed Stuttering John Melendez post-Stern/Tonight Show? Total mess.

RIP Ralph. My recollection of him back in the day was that of a presumptuous ass who leached off Stern and flaunted it around.

Went "downhill" long before that IMHO. I forget who it was - maybe Jenny McCarthy - who called him out when she was live on his show. She knew EXACTLY what questions were coming and how he'd respond to the answers (based on whether or not they met his approval and "are you gonna get naked or not"). He was/is THAT obvious about everything. Never listened again after that show because she was spot-on. His schtick was old and boring (and that was probably, 25 years ago). God Bless, he made it HUGE, won't take that away from him BUT never listened/watched again.
Don't know that year that was, but one of the funniest interviews was years ago with Roger Daltrey. I think it was after Artie was kicked off the show.
As the interview was wrapping up, Roger asked Howard a question along the lines of: "Where's the funny?" Howard was baffled and couldn't really answer the question.

The real change was around then after Artie left/was let go. I remember from the movie Private Parts, a survey of listeners said they listened to the whole show because you never knew what Howard would say next. After Artie left, you pretty much knew what Howard and Robin were going to say, and it has only gotten worse. He has become a shell of his former self and a shill for one party. People grow and change, but he just cashed in to be part of the PC Hollywood crowd because that is what his annoying wife wanted him to be.

I used to listed to Stern every morning before high school, while he was still on K-Rock. I believe he made the move over to Sirius my freshman year at RU (2005-06). From then on, I became a huge fan of Opie and Anthony as they then split time between K-Rock and XM. It was just easier to listen to as I didn't have satellite radio as a lowly college freshman/sophomore. It's sad to see what's become of the Stern show. He's come out and said he hates the fanbase he built over those decades, referring to them as "disgusting"...and not in a playful way. The Stern of 1995 would hate the Stern of 2023. He's become exactly what his "anti-hero" persona railed against. How many more interviews can he do with Rosie O'Donnell and the ladies of The View?

RIP to Ralph Cirella - good bit personality on the show from time to time

As an aside, are there any Stern fans on the board that have followed Stuttering John Melendez post-Stern/Tonight Show? Total mess.
Have seen John's podcast, and it is sad what has happened to him.
John chose to leave, but Howard has a history of treating his lower rung and former employees very poorly. Scott the Engineer is a good example.

RIP Ralph. My recollection of him back in the day was that of a presumptuous ass who leached off Stern and flaunted it around.
It seems that many of the roles were scripted, and Ralph was scripted to be the "heel" like in pro wrestling. Saw a long Instagram post by Eddie Trunk, a long time DJ (had a show on VH1 with Jim Florentine who dated Robin), and he and Ralph worked in the same mall as kids. Ralph did not seem to be the same guy in real life that he was portrayed on the show.

I used to work out at a gym with Ralph before and as he was becoming associated with Howard and the Channel 9 show. He was a good guy. I suspect Knight Shift is on to something in suggesting that his radio persona and how he was in real life were not necessarily the same.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I saw somewhere that Stern makes $190 million a year and has a net worth over $900 million. If he was so close to the guy either pay for his health insurance or pay his medical bills.
Does seem a bit cheap of him.

OTOH, who's worse, Stern at $900 million for this, or Elon Musk at ~248 billion who is apparently fighting in court to use TX child-support law (caps child support at $1840/month/kid) to limit his child support payments to Grimes who wants him to use CA laws which presumably have no such cap.

My vote would be Musk is worse. But it's a pretty bad look in both cases.

I read, earlier today, that Musk has 10 children. Child support payments aside, I wonder what kind of dad he is.

I used to work out at a gym with Ralph before and as he was becoming associated with Howard and the Channel 9 show. He was a good guy. I suspect Knight Shift is on to something in suggesting that his radio persona and how he was in real life were not necessarily the same.
I suspect that, with many or even most public figures, where we only ever "know" them through media stories, the reality is quite often very different from the public perception.

I'd even venture to guess that the gap between perception and reality is growing ever larger by the year, what with the thousands and thousands of new 24/7 "media outlets" all desperate for clicks, views, readership, etc.

I feel that Howard is desperate to distance himself from his past and knows that he's one stupid comment away from the media dredging up some brutal clips from back in the day when he was at the top of his game. He was amazing back in the day when he had no filter and the world wasn't so sensitive to everything that is said. At this point in his life, I'm guessing the money is more meaningful for him than being some rebellious radio personality.

Ralph seemed really stubborn and I wouldn't be surprised if he wouldn't take any money or advice from Howard about his health. I'm not gonna place judgement when I don't know squat about the situation. It's sad that a man his age is gone way too early though. RIP Ralph and thanks for the memories.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Vice has that series where they have topics from various decades and they did one on shock jocks. It was pretty interesting to hear about the O+A/Howard Stern feud as I had no idea it was going on because I did't listen to O+A. It's pretty wild I thought.

I feel that Howard is desperate to distance himself from his past and knows that he's one stupid comment away from the media dredging up some brutal clips from back in the day when he was at the top of his game. He was amazing back in the day when he had no filter and the world wasn't so sensitive to everything that is said. At this point in his life, I'm guessing the money is more meaningful for him than being some rebellious radio personality.

Ralph seemed really stubborn and I wouldn't be surprised if he wouldn't take any money or advice from Howard about his health. I'm not gonna place judgement when I don't know squat about the situation. It's sad that a man his age is gone way too early though. RIP Ralph and thanks for the memories.
That's a fair take. My post was fueled more by the way he treated past employees and paid some of the funniest people on the show crap while he made loads of money. He seems like a guy who does not want to recognize who buttered his bread, but whatever. His show was good for a lot of laughs back in the old days. But what was funny back then is no longer funny and would get most anyone canceled. I mentioned above that I have the whole Channel 9 show recorded, and sometimes I watch some of those shows and think about how that would never fly today.

As for Ralph, I know people like him. They will not address medical issues for a variety of reasons- (1) fear of the unknown; (2) mistrust or fear of doctors and the medical system: (3) not caring whether they live or die. The very large majority people of these are single in their 40's, 50s or 60s, and the remainder are just miserable in life and don't care if they live or die. That is a sad way to live.

Reactions: redking and Rhuarc
That's a fair take. My post was fueled more by the way he treated past employees and paid some of the funniest people on the show crap while he made loads of money. He seems like a guy who does not want to recognize who buttered his bread, but whatever. His show was good for a lot of laughs back in the old days. But what was funny back then is no longer funny and would get most anyone canceled. I mentioned above that I have the whole Channel 9 show recorded, and sometimes I watch some of those shows and think about how that would never fly today.

As for Ralph, I know people like him. They will not address medical issues for a variety of reasons- (1) fear of the unknown; (2) mistrust or fear of doctors and the medical system: (3) not caring whether they live or die. The very large majority people of these are single in their 40's, 50s or 60s, and the remainder are just miserable in life and don't care if they live or die. That is a sad way to live.
I hear ya. The channel 9 shows were awesome and what got me into him. I agree that he's treated people like crap, which to me is shocking because if it wasn't for all of those people, he wouldn't gotten over. The worst was how he treated Scott the Engineer. Jackie screwed himself as usual and John left for a job with stupid money which I can't blame him. Howard should just pay him residuals so they can air his old interviews on Howard 101.

I suspect that, with many or even most public figures, where we only ever "know" them through media stories, the reality is quite often very different from the public perception.

I'd even venture to guess that the gap between perception and reality is growing ever larger by the year, what with the thousands and thousands of new 24/7 "media outlets" all desperate for clicks, views, readership, etc.
Guess what, knowing some, their real personality sucks as well.

I hear ya. The channel 9 shows were awesome and what got me into him. I agree that he's treated people like crap, which to me is shocking because if it wasn't for all of those people, he wouldn't gotten over. The worst was how he treated Scott the Engineer. Jackie screwed himself as usual and John left for a job with stupid money which I can't blame him. Howard should just pay him residuals so they can air his old interviews on Howard 101.
I forgot about those channel 9 shows. What a freak show that was but I guess that’s what made the circus side show so popular

Stern is as good as ever, just a little different. Anybody who claims they don't listen because he went woke is already too political.
blazing saddles no GIF

He is boring , and he is a shill. That is all.
Have tuned in once or twice in the last couple of years, and turned it right off. Booooooooooooooooooooooring.

Have seen John's podcast, and it is sad what has happened to him.
John chose to leave, but Howard has a history of treating his lower rung and former employees very poorly. Scott the Engineer is a good example.
what happened to Studdering John? assuming he never landed a decent media gig after he left. alcohol issues?

Vice has that series where they have topics from various decades and they did one on shock jocks. It was pretty interesting to hear about the O+A/Howard Stern feud as I had no idea it was going on because I did't listen to O+A. It's pretty wild I thought.

a podcast i really like is called "Why are you Laughing", and there are lot of episodes discussing and playing clips from Howard/Opie era. last month he did a whole show about their feud, it's a good listen. if you go back longer will see other O&A related episodes as well. he also gets into other stand up personalities, if you are into that it's great.

Reactions: Rhuarc
Agree HS is unlistenable at this point. It’s not funny at all…but he’s still a good interview.

The fact they didn’t replace Artie is an issue. It’s just Howard, Robin, Fred and the rest of the peons including Sal and Richard who make good prank phone calls but that’s it.

That he has people go back to edit his old shows to remove offensive content is indicative of the state of the show. He’s legacy building now and doesn’t want to be remembered as a shock jock anymore.

he tried the wipe the internet of his bits from specials in KKK outfits, in blackface, etc

he's a joke now

also a Biden voter so owes me money also

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT