ADVERTISEMENT

OT: OFFICIAL 2017 LET'S GO METS SEASON THREAD

Preferential treatment for Granderson? Elaborate please. I too am glad he's gone, but only because I want to see more of Nimmo.

I would not be surprised if either Reyes or Cabrera (not both) are back next year, hopefully in a reserve role. Reyes would have to take a pay cut of biblical proportions, but I doubt there will be a brisk market for his services. Decision on Reyes may depend on whether they think he is a positive or negative influence on Rosario. Mets hold a club option on Cabrera for $6.5M, and may decide he is worth it.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the catcher position. My guess is that they decide that C is not a priority, and make do with D'arnaud, Plawecki, and maybe Nido and/or an inexpensive veteran backup. I continue to believe that the off-season priorities should be a veteran starting P, a power hitting 3B, and either CF or RF depending on whether they think Conforto can play CF.
The priority for the Mets should be for the Coupons to sell the team and get some real owners.

The priority for the Mets should be for the Coupons to sell the team and get some real owners.
Oh stop with this Coupons. The Wilpons have a long history of spending money freely, just not effectively. Remember the 1992-93 Worst Team Money Could Buy? How about the mid-2000's, when Omar put the Minaya in maniacal? It wasn't until the Madoff bubble burst that they went on their forced austerity kick. By all accounts they are past that.

I am very optimistic that this off season, the Wilpons will spend enough to win. Whether they spend effectively enough to win is another matter. But if they don't, that's not on the Wilpons, that's on Sandy.

Now if you want to kill the Wilpons for being so goddamn greedy as to look the other way when Madoff was screwing other people for the Wilpons' benefit, not realizing or caring that would inevitably come back to bite them in the ass, go right ahead. I'm right there with you on that one.

The heart and soul of the Mets is gone. Liked Duda, Bruce, Reed, and Grandy as people/leaders and what Duda and Reed brought to the plate--Grandy was inconsistent this year, but he is having a better year than the waste of money in left field who can't run to first base..
If they deal Rene Rivera and keep d'Arnaud, it will be hard to cheer for this team.

Love these deals. Bring up Plawecki, this time give him the bulk of the games till the end of the season. Conforto, Smith and Rosario will be the core to work with. Pray the injuried get healthy quick
Spend wisely in the offseason. No need to shed tears over trading these players as the season was over many months ago.

The heart and soul of the Mets WOULD HAVE BEEN GONE AT THE END OF THIS YEAR. IT'S GONE A LITTLE SOONER THAN ANTICIPATED. NO BIG DEAL. Liked Duda, Bruce, Reed, and Grandy as people/leaders and what Duda and Reed brought to the plate--Grandy was inconsistent this year, but he is having a better year than the waste of money in left field who can't run to first base..
If they deal Rene Rivera and keep d'Arnaud, it will be hard to cheer for this team.
Proposed edit respectfully submitted for your consideration. Also, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Rene is gone.

Preferential treatment for Granderson? Elaborate please. I too am glad he's gone, but only because I want to see more of Nimmo.

I would not be surprised if either Reyes or Cabrera (not both) are back next year, hopefully in a reserve role. Reyes would have to take a pay cut of biblical proportions, but I doubt there will be a brisk market for his services. Decision on Reyes may depend on whether they think he is a positive or negative influence on Rosario. Mets hold a club option on Cabrera for $6.5M, and may decide he is worth it.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the catcher position. My guess is that they decide that C is not a priority, and make do with D'arnaud, Plawecki, and maybe Nido and/or an inexpensive veteran backup. I continue to believe that the off-season priorities should be a veteran starting P, a power hitting 3B, and either CF or RF depending on whether they think Conforto can play CF.

It didn't matter if he was hitting .150 or so like he was during the first half of the year, he was always in the lineup....taking time away from young players like Nimmo. He never got benched for not hitting no matter how cold he got...even last year. He always threw like an old lady but it never mattered..because he is a good guy.

For catcher, i hope they go after Lucroy and I'm also hoping this was just a down year for him. He shouldn't cost that much..worth the risk without a real catcher on the team. d'arnaud is a bust...but would be a serviceable backup catcher.

I'm ok with Cabrera as a player but age is catching up him. Also, I only like him at 2nd but SS should be Locked up with Rosario.

As you said, a power hitting 3rd baseman is a priority.

It's early but I'm a little worried about Smith at first..particularly his conditioning. No young major league player should be in that kind of shape this early in his career. If he was a legit power hitter, I'd be less concerned.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
Bruce strikes me as the one true loss. If youth is to be served as many here advocate, why would some propose they try to bring him back? As long as Cespedes. Conforto Legares/Nimmo are here who is going to sit unless you think Conforto can play center for a whole season. You can't sit Smith if you want to go with young guys.

Reactions: tico brown
Bruce strikes me as the one true loss. If youth is to be served as many here advocate, why would some propose they try to bring him back? As long as Cespedes. Conforto Legares/Nimmo are here who is going to sit unless you think Conforto can play center for a whole season. You can't sit Smith if you want to go with young guys.
You've raised the key question - is Conforto an everyday CF? If the Mets think he is, then they go hard for Bruce. If they don't, then the follow-up question is: can we win with an OF of Cespedes, Lagares/Nimmo, and Conforto? Or do they need to go after a CF? My guess is that they will, and let Bruce go elsewhere.

Oh stop with this Coupons. The Wilpons have a long history of spending money freely, just not effectively. Remember the 1992-93 Worst Team Money Could Buy? How about the mid-2000's, when Omar put the Minaya in maniacal? It wasn't until the Madoff bubble burst that they went on their forced austerity kick. By all accounts they are past that.

I am very optimistic that this off season, the Wilpons will spend enough to win. Whether they spend effectively enough to win is another matter. But if they don't, that's not on the Wilpons, that's on Sandy.

Now if you want to kill the Wilpons for being so goddamn greedy as to look the other way when Madoff was screwing other people for the Wilpons' benefit, not realizing or caring that would inevitably come back to bite them in the ass, go right ahead. I'm right there with you on that one.
Perception is reality until they do something significant to change it.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Perception is reality until they do something significant to change it.
How about overpaying to sign Cespedes? This despite the fact that it put the Mets way over budget, since Walker surprised everybody by accepting his qualifying offer.

How about overpaying to sign Cespedes? This despite the fact that it put the Mets way over budget, since Walker surprised everybody by accepting his qualifying offer.
Some owners spend money to win while others give the appearance of spending money to look the part. I've been a Mets fan before I was even born. I just grew tired of the last few weeks with some of these trades. It appears the Mets are giving way players for nothing in return. It doesn't even appear they're trying to restock the minor leagues. It doesn't even appear that these guys that they got back in return will be in position to help them make a run in the next few years. I'm just angry right now.

Reactions: tico brown
The heart and soul of the Mets is gone. Liked Duda, Bruce, Reed, and Grandy as people/leaders and ....
You can't put a price on this. Imagine, for example, if the Red Sox had David Ortiz playing this year along with his leadership.

Wow, just read about the Granderson trade - sounds like they're getting another bag of balls.
Actually no. They got a 24 year old AAA reliever by the name of Jacob Rhame. #28 prospect in the Dodger organization by mlb.com. He can bring the heat - consistently 94-98 and occasionally touches triple digits. Problem is, his fastball is all he's got. He needs to develop another mlb-quality pitch. Whether he can do it at this stage of his career is uncertain.

Still, a more intriguing prospect than I thought they'd be able to get for Granderson, who had little or no market value. Like Bruce and Walker, Granderson cleared waivers. Anyone could have had him, just assume payments. No takers.

Last edited:
You can't put a price on this. Imagine, for example, if the Red Sox had David Ortiz playing this year along with his leadership.
Actually, you can put a price on it. In Granderson's case, the price of his leadership (and you get his baseball skills for free!) was $5 million. That was the approximate amount of his remaining 2018 salary when he was waived. 29 out of 29 teams took a pass.

Conforto injures his shoulder swinging at a pitch. Swing, miss, collapse. Neither Gary nor Ron had ever seen anything like it before. We await the injury report. UPDATE - Dislocated shoulder. Could've been worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: cicero grimes
Rutgers always seems to find new and interesting ways to lose. The Mets always seem to find new and interesting ways to get injured. This is amazing, no pun intended. At a minimum, the s&c, training and medical staffs have to go.

Conforto injures his shoulder swinging at a pitch. Swing, miss, collapse. Neither Gary nor Ron had ever seen anything like it before. We await the injury report. UPDATE - Dislocated shoulder. Could've been worse.
How the hell do you do that swinging at a baseball?

Rutgers always seems to find new and interesting ways to lose. The Mets always seem to find new and interesting ways to get injured. This is amazing, no pun intended. At a minimum, the s&c, training and medical staffs have to go.

It's just being good, ol' fashioned "snake bit", in Conforto's case. I mean, how do you dislocate a shoulder swinging a bat, right?

Except that my oldest daughter, who ran XC and track at SJV, once dislocated her shoulder coming out of the woods into the home stretch at Holmdel Park. She was just running, same as every other day. It simply popped out. I popped it back in and took her to Bayshore to get it x-rayed.

Don't worry. Wilpon will review the MRI, declare Conforto fit to play, and then next week, instruct Cespedes instead of Conforto to have surgery.

That must have been one helluva pitch... check that ball ump!

Come home from vacation, fly in from Seattle. Driving home and hear that Comforto is hurt. Just amazing.

Just saw the video on Conforto's swing - you can tell something happened with the way his left arm flopped over the right shoulder at the end of the swing. Ugh, uncomfortable to look at once you know what happened.

Reactions: Kbee3
With the Mets luck, this will turn into a chronic injury.
It's being reported 6-12 month recover,so most likely he misses all of next season,unreal, with the likely hood of it happening again with this type of injury. Another young rising star goes down. This is beyond ridiculous now,this is just plan sad.

It's being reported 6-12 month recover,so most likely he misses all of next season,unreal, with the likely hood of it happening again with this type of injury. Another young rising star goes down. This is beyond ridiculous now,this is just plan sad.
Where did you see that? What I am seeing is that worst-case (meaning that surgery is required) the recovery period is 4-6 months, which would mean he'd be back in time for Spring Training. No decision has been made on surgery yet.

Of course, with the Mets the worst-case would be to forego surgery and allow the shoulder to heal through rest/rehab, only to find out in March that it hasn't healed.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/250540776/all-about-mets-michael-confortos-injury/

Reactions: shields and Kbee3
And Rosario swings at a ball like 6 inches outside. Pitcher is on the ropes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT