ADVERTISEMENT

OT: OFFICIAL 2017 LET'S GO METS SEASON THREAD

image.jpg

Reactions: Knight Shift
I'm starting to lose interest, frankly. They're like the friggin' bad news bears out there.
It would be nice to beat the Yankees. I'm OK with the Yankees--it's a large segment of the fan base that deserves to see them lose. Even if the Mets win, it's no big deal- Mets are playing with mostly backups tonight, especially the infield.

It's a damm shame that only 2 years ago, the Mets, Nationals, Dodgers, and Cubs were basically freaking even. But while three of these organizations have turned into legit contenders, one has been severely incompetent in the owners box, front office, trainers room, weight room, the dugout, etc. And it's like the Wilpon's don't give a fruck as they keep keeping their money in their pockets.

BTW, No excuse for injuries because ALL teams have suffered injuries.

Reactions: Kbee3
Lets say Rosario and Smith will be solid players next year. Not trying to flame here but who else do the Mets have in their system that can reasonably be expected to make the jump next season, and contribute at a level better than the player the team started the season with? Presumably Thor and Familia return to their levels, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on Harvey, Matz and Wheeler. As for free agents, money can talk, but I 'd think most difference makers are going to want to go to a contender.

Reactions: Kbee3
Lets say Rosario and Smith will be solid players next year. Not trying to flame here but who else do the Mets have in their system that can reasonably be expected to make the jump next season, and contribute at a level better than the player the team started the season with? Presumably Thor and Familia return to their levels, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on Harvey, Matz and Wheeler. As for free agents, money can talk, but I 'd think most difference makers are going to want to go to a contender.
Not a flame at all, very reasonable post.

Unfortunately, Mets have no other big time prospects on the immediate horizon. Maybe Cecchini and Nimmo, but does anyone expect them to out-perform Walker and Bruce? Maybe Nido or Plawecki can supplant d'Arnaud.

If Mets are to contend next year they will have to loosen the purse strings. Needed:
  • A solid mid-rotation starter behind Thor and deGrom.
  • Either a CF or RF, depending on whether they think Conforto can play CF over the long term. If so, re-signing Bruce is the obvious and IMO very feasible solution.
  • 3B - Moustakas?
Make these three additions, and I think they can contend.

Not a flame at all, very reasonable post.

Unfortunately, Mets have no other big time prospects on the immediate horizon. Maybe Cecchini and Nimmo, but does anyone expect them to out-perform Walker and Bruce? Maybe Nido or Plawecki can supplant d'Arnaud.
PLAWECKI HAS USED HIS MULTIPLE CHANCES TO HIT .210, IF THAT. TIME TO LOOK AT NIDO.

If Mets are to contend next year they will have to loosen the purse strings. Needed:
  • A solid mid-rotation starter behind Thor and deGrom.
  • METS WILL CONTINUE TO THINK THAT MATZ AND WHEELER WILL BE THE ANSWER. MAYBE SETH LUGO IS MORE DEPENDABLE THAN BOTH BUT THAT'S NOT SAYING MUCH THESE DAYS

• Either a CF or RF, depending on whether they think Conforto can play CF over the long term. If so, re-signing Bruce is the obvious and IMO very feasible solution.
  • IT'S EITHER NIMMO OR LAGARES. I'D SIGN LORENZO CAIN OR ANOTHER DECENT CF BUT THEY WONT.
  • 3B - Moustakus
  • WON'T.
  • NOT FOR ANOTHER 3 YEARS OR UNTIL DWRIGHT OFFICIALLY RETIRES.
Make these three additions, and I think they can contend.

Walker or Bruce may be resigned or others will be signed. Mets have money coming off the books. Our youth is conforto, rosario, smith...... not bad at all

Walker or Bruce may be resigned or others will be signed. Mets have money coming off the books. Our youth is conforto, rosario, smith...... not bad at all
Agree they will make a strong run at Bruce. But I think they'll let Walker walk and go after a third baseman. I think that between Flores, Cecchini, Reynolds, TJ (if he doesn't need TJ) and maybe even Cabrera, they've got second base covered.

Why would Bruce come back to the Mets ? He's going to have choices.

September is my favorite month of the year. College football starts,{my favorite sport}, and the STANKees miss out on the post season,lol. Here's to hoping,anyway.

Granderson to Dodgers for player to be named later and cash. Rene Rivera rumored to be next. So who would be left? I guess just Reyes if anyone wants him. Ironic that Cabrera, who had demanded a trade, may be last man standing.

It seems a shame, after Granderson's grand slam against the Yankees the other night. Sure, it was a losing effort, but still... He's a good guy, the kind of guy you want on your ballclub. I can see why trading him makes sense but I'm sad to see him go.

Granderson to Dodgers for player to be named later and cash. Rene Rivera rumored to be next. So who would be left? I guess just Reyes if anyone wants him. Ironic that Cabrera, who had demanded a trade, may be last man standing.
Sure, trade away the better catcher while darnaud keeps getting chance after chance after chance. Speaking of .201 averages, you mean to tell me that the Mets are stuck with Reyes, who blew chunks when counted and Cry Baby Cabrera who has The Hands of Cement?

I couldn't be happier that Granderson is gone. I could care less if he is a good guy. He got preferential treatment all year until recently for being barely productive most of the year. He's been milking it for a couple of years now. Now, let's dump d'Arnaud, Reyes, and Cabrera and we can start over.

The only issue I have so far with the what they've done in the past couple of weeks is that I felt they could have gotten something for Bruce.

Rene Rivera claimed by the Cubs.
Kevin Plawecki and Tommie Millone up from minors.

It gets better...

Wow, just read about the Granderson trade - sounds like they're getting another bag of balls.

I couldn't be happier that Granderson is gone. I could care less if he is a good guy. He got preferential treatment all year until recently for being barely productive most of the year. He's been milking it for a couple of years now. Now, let's dump d'Arnaud, Reyes, and Cabrera and we can start over.

The only issue I have so far with the what they've done in the past couple of weeks is that I felt they could have gotten something for Bruce.

Preferential treatment for Granderson? Elaborate please. I too am glad he's gone, but only because I want to see more of Nimmo.

I would not be surprised if either Reyes or Cabrera (not both) are back next year, hopefully in a reserve role. Reyes would have to take a pay cut of biblical proportions, but I doubt there will be a brisk market for his services. Decision on Reyes may depend on whether they think he is a positive or negative influence on Rosario. Mets hold a club option on Cabrera for $6.5M, and may decide he is worth it.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the catcher position. My guess is that they decide that C is not a priority, and make do with D'arnaud, Plawecki, and maybe Nido and/or an inexpensive veteran backup. I continue to believe that the off-season priorities should be a veteran starting P, a power hitting 3B, and either CF or RF depending on whether they think Conforto can play CF.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT