ADVERTISEMENT

OT: OFFICIAL 2017 LET'S GO METS SEASON THREAD

Cubs and other teams interested in Seth Lugo.
DEPENDS ON WHO THEY'RE GIVING UP. BUT WOULD YOU GIVE UP THIS YEAR'S 2ND/3RD BEST STARTER?

Cubs interested in Rene Rivera-can Mets deal d'Arnaud instead?
MIGHT AS WELL GIVE UP RIVERA FOR A DECENT PROSPECT IF TC KEEPS PLAYING DARNAUD.

Market for Cabrera growing-Mariners and Indians interested.
BOTH HAVE DECENT ENOUGH PROSPECTS
Teems interested in Duda and Reed.
SAME AS CABRERA. IF SMITH IS NOT READY, YOU STILL HAVE TJ AND WILMER TO PLAY 1ST.

Mets will suck a lot more if they lose both Cabrera and Duda.
TRUE BUT YOU CAN'T GO AFTER FOOLS GOLD AND TRY TO RESET FOR NEXT YEAR.

Cubs and other teams interested in Seth Lugo.
Cubs interested in Rene Rivera-can Mets deal d'Arnaud instead?
Market for Cabrera growing-Mariners and Indians interested.
Teems interested in Duda and Reed.
Mets will suck a lot more if they lose both Cabrera and Duda.
Disagree. I would simply replace Duda and Cabrera with Smith and Rosario and go back to the future.

Beginning in week #2 this season, you could just sense this team was missing whatever they had the last 2 seasons. It's not just the injuries,this team has no "stain", lol.

Our farm system minus Rosario and Smith is a nightmare. Trade for the future
To underscore your point - David Peterson, the Mets 2017 #1 pick (#20 overall) is already listed by mlb.com as their 3rd best prospect, behind only Rosario and Smith.

Either Peterson has been really impressive really quickly, or that is a REALLY bad sign.

Reactions: tico brown
To underscore your point - David Peterson, the Mets 2017 #1 pick (#20 overall) is already listed by mlb.com as their 3rd best prospect, behind only Rosario and Smith.

Either Peterson has been really impressive really quickly, or that is a REALLY bad sign.
Either my next point is a REALLY bad sign or I missed a few prospects. But what other Mets MiLBers are playing and doing well right now other than Conforto, Daniel Murphy, and Detroit's Michael Fullmer (and to a lesser extent Duda, Harvey, Flores, TJ)?

Why?

The ONLY argument against trading Duda is that you think the Mets are still in contention. Do you?

IMHO I don't think that's even a good argument. Duda is coming up on free agency and Smith throws a hell of a fastball.

Mlb.com has Drew Smith as the Rays #30 prospect. ETA to the majors is 2018. Here is their scouting report on him:

"Smith had an inconsistent career at Dallas Baptist, but the Tigers, who originally drafted him, don't shy away from plus arm strength when they see it. It's come slowly, with injuries slowing him down some, but the right-hander has proven to be an effective relief prospect in his first year-plus as a pro. In late April, Smith was dealt to the Rays as the PTBNL, completing the January trade that had sent Mikie Mahtook to Detroit.

Smith is largely a fastball/breaking ball short reliever. His heater will sit comfortably in the 92-95 mph range, and he can reach back for more, all from a clean and easy delivery. He'll show an above-average curveball at times with really good snap to it, but not consistently. Smith doesn't throw his changeup enough, and he'll need to improve his feel for the pitch and use it more in the future, though he did make strides as a strike-thrower in his second full season.

That he dealt with some minor arm issues early in his career ended talk about perhaps seeing how Smith would fare in a rotation. He has all the ingredients to be an effective short reliever, with a ceiling of a future setup man."

We get Familia back next year
If the Mets weren't so cheap bastard, they should've signed Jansens from LA. I knew something was going to happen to Familia this year. Plus the Mets couldve traded Jansens for top prospects if the same thing happened with him here.

Mets get closer AJ Ramos for two A ball players. Would think Reed is next to go

Mets get closer AJ Ramos for two A ball players. Would think Reed is next to go
Saw both in Brooklyn last two years. Ricardo Cespedes can actually hit and Merandy Gonzalez record last three years is 29-14, 2.58.

Ramos is under team control for next year.The clear message of his acquisition is that the Mets are going for it next year. They are not blowing it up and starting over, as some have suggested.

According to Mets.com, the Mets are only looking to trade players whom they do not control in 2018, plus the expendable Cabrera. Blevins (on whom the Mets hold a 2018 team option) is not on the market. While they may trade Bruce, Mets.com considers it unlikely. Reportedly he is the only one of the free agents to whom the Mets are willing to make a qualifying offer. I guess they'd also make Reed a qualifying offer if he is still here, but the assumption is that he will not be.

Here is why I like the trade:
  • Ramos for Reed is a wash.
  • Assume that what they get for Reed is a wash for what they gave for Ramos.
  • BUT... in Ramos they get a tradable asset for next year, in case the Mets are not contenders next year. Presumably his expiring contract would be in demand.
  • And... IF they can flip Reed to get an MLB-ready 3rd baseman, that would be the cherry on top.

Here is why I like the trade:
  • Ramos for Reed is a wash.
  • Assume that what they get for Reed is a wash for what they gave for Ramos.
  • BUT... in Ramos they get a tradable asset for next year, in case the Mets are not contenders next year. Presumably his expiring contract would be in demand.
  • And... IF they can flip Reed to get an MLB-ready 3rd baseman, that would be the cherry on top.
I agree with everything you said,except I don't see how Reed will bring a MLB ready 3B,but I hope I'm wrong.

Reed has value..... ramos was a good pickup for 2 long shot prospects. Familia and Ramos who was an all star 2016 can be a tough bullpen. Cant wait to see what we get for cabrera/reed....... we need a catcher and 3b

Mets Single A ball is stacked with pitching. Hated losing a Gonzales but plenty of depth. Easily worth getting Ramos especially since he is already signed for next year. Love this trade more and more. Let's see what these next two days bring

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT