ADVERTISEMENT

OT: OFFICIAL 2017 LET'S GO METS SEASON THREAD

It would be nice if we got some Day 1 talent in return for everything being dealt out.

Even with the Mets having a horrible, unexpected season,this thread has double the posts and reply's than NYC other team.
And that's without the main troll posting. But when you look at the past posts, there is lots of discussion about the team. Which is as it should be.
It's just because 4-5 Mets fans love to post their pain and suffering throughout the season.
Is that any different from us Rutgers fans and our discussions over the last 2 seasons?

It would be nice if we got some Day 1 talent in return for everything being dealt out.
According to MLB.com, Jamie Callahan (the Sox #23 prospect who is currently in AAA) is MLB ready as a middle reliever. The other two prospects are a couple of years away.

MLB Network crawl: "Source - Mets should be able to move an outfielder before deadline. Surprisingly, Granderson seems more likely than Bruce."

More stuff from MLB network:

"Mets way less optimistic about moving Cabrera... Mets know Reed would not get through waivers, but Cabrera, Granderson, Bruce, and Walker might. So they may revisit after deadline."

Anyone else want to see AR back next year as free agent signing?

crickets_fullgrown.jpg

Anyone else want to see AR back next year as free agent signing?
Impossible to answer right now. Need to assess who else is out there and what the cost of signing him is. By "cost" I mean both financial cost and opportunity cost. Like most teams (maybe not all) the Mets will be subject to budget constraints. Signing Reed will mean not signing somebody else.

Reed isn't worth FA money.
Disagree. The pen has been a mess this year. The formula for post season success is to have a deep pen with multiple guys who can close. This team should always be pitching and defense first. Next year may be the last year we have all the starters intact baring injury. If they are going to go for, go with pitching depth. Besides, Grandy, Bruce, Walker, Cabrera and possibly Wright will be coming off the books which leaves them plenty of $$$ to sign FA's.

Reactions: shields and redking
Looks like it's Reed and call it a day. I think more waiver moves will be made in August. MLB network said only one position player moved today, which is pretty shocking. Looks like everyone wants pitching and nobody really needs the extra bat - at least not badly enough to overpay for it.

Are the Mets slowly building their own Core 4? Conforto, Rosario and Smith. If one of these young catchers,{Nido or Mazeika}, can develop,who knows. I always get excited about homegrown players more so than other organizations kids even though you can steal a gem once in awhile.

Last edited:
Are the Mets slowly building their own Core 4? Conforto, Rosario and Brown. If one of these young catchers,{Nido or Mazeika}, can develop,who knows. I always get excited about homegrown players more so than other organizations kids even though you can steal a gem once in awhile.
Is Brown another name for Smith?

Are the Mets slowly building their own Core 4? Conforto, Rosario and Brown. If one of these young catchers,{Nido or Mazeika}, can develop,who knows. I always get excited about homegrown players more so than other organizations kids even though you can steal a gem once in awhile.
Who's Brown? And is deGrom playing the part of Pettite? And who does everything got to revolve around the Yankees? What's wrong with being the cardinals, red Sox, or giants, who each won 3 rings since 2000.

Although there are folks who like Nido he is at least two full years away from MLB. It will be interesting to see how Smith does. By all accounts a very strong defender, but like many prospects can he adjust at the plate to MLB curves and sliders. As far as Reed I think it would potentially be a good move to bring him back. I think he is more consistent than Ramos, and I believe he will only be 29 next season. Will likely depend upon how much. Current "experts" predict 32-40 million over 4 years. Is it worth that much. Not my money, but I would say yes. Mets bullpen has been hurt for years through lack of depth. Adding him to Familia, Ramos, and Blevins would form a strong core. The Mets could have as much as 87 million coming off payroll, and that includes adjustments for estimated arbitration figures. It also presumes Walker, Bruce, Granderson, and Cabrera do not return - a likely result. Interestingly it also factored in the insurance payments next season toward Wright's contractual obligations. I do not expect Mets to go wild and spend all of that money, but there is a fair amount of flexibility that the off season could be interesting.

Who's Brown? And is deGrom playing the part of Pettite? And who does everything got to revolve around the Yankees? What's wrong with being the cardinals, red Sox, or giants, who each won 3 rings since 2000.
Your right on both counts.I guess I was talking to the other fan base.After all, the Mets are loaded with young talented players despite what our neighbors think,lol.

Time to restart: Dominic Smith arrives! And on a more somber note, Fernando Salas DFA'd. Odd that Salas was not mentioned in any trade talks.[winking]

Time to restart: Dominic Smith arrives! And on a more somber note, Fernando Salas DFA'd. Odd that Salas was not mentioned in any trade talks.[winking]
Why NOT Robles, he blows.On a brighter note, the Mets have a chance to put a major dent in the Yankee post season chase if they can take 3 out of 4 next week.

Dominic Smith certainly does NOT pass the eye test. He looks like he could drop about 25.
Wow, I was thinking the same thing. Way too young to be carrying that kind of weight. Injury riddled career waiting to happen.That boy doesn't miss any meals. So far, he's not Keith Hernandez around the bag, that's for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT