ADVERTISEMENT

OT- NYC season long baseball thread. Mets, Yankees. 2nd attempt

WhiteBus

Hall of Famer
Oct 4, 2011
One week from today is OPENING DAY! Excited about the potential of both NYC teams. Both teams have strengths and weaknesses but they both have serious promise for 2016.
A year ago today no one predicted that come playoffs time that the Yankees would make it and the Mets in the World Series. 2015 was a fun year for both fans.
#1 for both teams...and every team is staying healthy for the most part.
The Harvey uncertainty is puzzling as it doesn't appear to be a health issue so hopefully it will be short term.
To be clear I am a lifelong Yankee fan but have zero hatred for the Mets. I enjoyed their playoff run. I have the MLB package so starting a week from today a majority of my TV viewing until October is watching MLB games. Also looking forward to seeing the Cubs, Dodgers and Donnie Baseball try to improve Miami.
With the exception of the Oakland A's it's possible for the the rest of the teams finishing between 80 and 90 wins
Who do you follow and what are your picks for the upcoming season

How does the Yankee starting rotation look? Sabathia, Tanaka, and who else? How has Sabathia looked this Spring?

Haven't followed other teams closely, but I assume the team to beat in the East is the Nats? Not too worried about Harvey, and hoping Wheeler comes back strong. Wonder if Bart will have another decent year on the mound.

How does the Yankee starting rotation look? Sabathia, Tanaka, and who else? How has Sabathia looked this Spring?

Sabathia looks terrible and Ivan Nova is not much better of late. Severino looks strong and Tanaka seems okay so far.

Haven't followed other teams closely, but I assume the team to beat in the East is the Nats? Not too worried about Harvey, and hoping Wheeler comes back strong. Wonder if Bart will have another decent year on the mound.
Sabathia has looked good but is only projected to be a 5 until things change. Pineda, Tanaka, Severino, Evaldi than CC. Nova is in the mix too.

Can we please not do a 97 page Lets Go Mets (or Yankees) thread. Pretty please.

I'm hopeful that the worst thing wrong with Harvey is that he has the clap or something. He's the consistency that the Mets need in their rotation. Last year the rest of the guys seemed awfully streaky.

Can we please not do a 97 page Lets Go Mets (or Yankees) thread. Pretty please.
I loved the Mets page last year. In the end both fans were into it all season. Thought it was better to make a combined thread for both teams and all baseball in one thread. The fact it went 97+ pages proved that there are many baseball fans in the Rutgers football community

I loved the Mets page last year. In the end both fans were into it all season. Thought it was better to make a combined thread for both teams and all baseball in one thread. The fact it went 97+ pages proved that there are many baseball fans in the Rutgers football community

I thought it was great, and kudos for that. I look forward to another one, this year.

Reactions: tico brown
I thought it was great, and kudos for that. I look forward to another one, this year.
It was the only thread ever on this board that I didn't have a 10 page argument or where I called someone an idiot...so there's that too.

BTW is anyone on this board going to either home openers? How long is your home opener streak?

I'm hopeful that the worst thing wrong with Harvey is that he has the clap or something. He's the consistency that the Mets need in their rotation. Last year the rest of the guys seemed awfully streaky.
Based on the Mets history, it's probably very serious or very embarrassing (e.g., STD, like you suggested).

This is the most excited I've been for a season since 2012. The Yankee lineup will score runs and the bullpen is dominant. The only thing you worry about is the starting pitching but I think Pineda, Eovaldi, and Severino have a lot of potential and will carry the rotation.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
This is the most excited I've been for a season since 2012. The Yankee lineup will score runs and the bullpen is dominant. The only thing you worry about is the starting pitching but I think Pineda, Eovaldi, and Severino have a lot of potential and will carry the rotation.
Agreed, I'm rather optimistic this season. Perhaps 90-92 wins?

Because of the success of the Mets staff and watching them grow into stars is a valid reason of hope that those 3 can become great as well....but they aren't in the comparison yet.

Last edited:
Based on the Mets history, it's probably very serious or very embarrassing (e.g., STD, like you suggested).

I don't post much, but I'm a constant lurker here at scarlet nation. I've gotta say, this guy is probably the most idiotic poster I've read here, besides obvious anti-Rutgers trolls.

Dude we get it, you hate the fockin Mets. Give it a rest already. go suck on jeters balls or something. 90-92 wins? Yeah ok. No pitching. Aging (straight up old) oft-injured roster. You're going to count on cc tanaka Pineda to stay healthy and pitch well? HAHA

Reactions: Knight Shift
One week from today is OPENING DAY! Excited about the potential of both NYC teams. Both teams have strengths and weaknesses but they both have serious promise for 2016.
A year ago today no one predicted that come playoffs time that the Yankees would make it and the Mets in the World Series. 2015 was a fun year for both fans.
#1 for both teams...and every team is staying healthy for the most part.
The Harvey uncertainty is puzzling as it doesn't appear to be a health issue so hopefully it will be short term.
To be clear I am a lifelong Yankee fan but have zero hatred for the Mets. I enjoyed their playoff run. I have the MLB package so starting a week from today a majority of my TV viewing until October is watching MLB games. Also looking forward to seeing the Cubs, Dodgers and Donnie Baseball try to improve Miami.
With the exception of the Oakland A's it's possible for the the rest of the teams finishing between 80 and 90 wins
Who do you follow and what are your picks for the upcoming season
Mets
White Sox in the AL
Hate Yanks and Cubs

The Yanks may have surpassed the Royals for the best bullpen in the majors with Chapman, Miller and Betances, but will they be getting the lead much? Starting rotation is shaky, at best. Tanaka, Pineda, Severino, Sabathia, Nova, Eovaldi. Six guys....don't see any all-stars in that group. They finally got younger with Gregorius and Castro, but the rest of the starters are old and are almost guaranteed to spend time on the DL. At best, the Yanks will fight for the wild card again. Don't see them overtaking the Jays or even the improved Red Sox(ugh).

The Yanks may have surpassed the Royals for the best bullpen in the majors with Chapman, Miller and Betances, but will they be getting the lead much? Starting rotation is shaky, at best. Tanaka, Pineda, Severino, Sabathia, Nova, Eovaldi. Six guys....don't see any all-stars in that group. They finally got younger with Gregorius and Castro, but the rest of the starters are old and are almost guaranteed to spend time on the DL. At best, the Yanks will fight for the wild card again. Don't see them overtaking the Jays or even the improved Red Sox(ugh).
When the Yankees can bunt, hit behind the runners, run the bases, rarely strikeout and play defense like the Royals, we may be on to something.

Last edited:
Whitebus, CC has been terrible this year. His last outing was the only decent one. Yankees pitching has looked decent this spring but they are not hitting very well.

As for Harvey, apparently he doesn't know when to pee, or he just holds it too long.

Whitebus, CC has been terrible this year. His last outing was the only decent one. Yankees pitching has looked decent this spring but they are not hitting very well.

As for Harvey, apparently he doesn't know when to pee, or he just holds it too long.
That's why I said he is the fifth starter. And he maybe a fifth starter simply because of his contract.

I have a good feeling about this kid Conforto. he's got a real good looking swing and a great eye at the play. seems to know, so far at least, how pitchers approach him. His D in left was surprisingly above average and I think he will play RF some games giving grandy a rest against lefties. Grandy sucks vs lefties and I think Conforto is the type of player that's gotta play everyday, even against kershaw.

The talent is there, he can spray line drives and homers to all fields. Hopefully he makes the necessary adjustments when the pitchers start to make theirs

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteBus
That's why I said he is the fifth starter. And he maybe a fifth starter simply because of his contract.
Agreed, due to his contract. I can't dislike CC too much since he was a driving force for 2009, but then again, that was quite a while ago.

You also said he looked good, which other than his last start, he has not. He's pitching today so we will see how he does today.

I have the MLB package so starting a week from today a majority of my TV viewing until October is watching MLB games. Also looking forward to seeing the Cubs, Dodgers and Donnie Baseball try to improve Miami.

Do you use a cable package or MLB TV streaming? I'm curious because I spent a couple years with the cable package (MLB Extra Innings from Comcast, I think it was) before switching over to MLB TV on Roku and never looking back. At the time, it was night and day - MLB TV was cheaper and light years better thanks largely to its archiving and on-demand viewing.

Curious if MLB Extra Innings has caught up at all, particularly with on-demand content, or is still way in the past - from a quick search, it looks like MLB TV still offers way more for less money (all HD content, mobile device support, single-team packages, etc.), but the descriptions of MLB Extra Innings are pretty brief. Wondering if others have had good experiences with Extra Innings.

I have the package through Directv. A few reasons while I have stayed with it. I can get the Yes Network year round in Pennsylvania , pregame and post game shows plus other Directv exclusives with golf. Especially the Masters.
Also since I tend to channel surf all baseball games when the Yankees are not playing so it fits my needs. MLB'S a la cart option suits the fan that just wants to watch his team only.

I have the package through Directv. A few reasons while I have stayed with it. I can get the Yes Network year round in Pennsylvania , pregame and post game shows plus other Directv exclusives with golf. Especially the Masters.
Also since I tend to channel surf all baseball games when the Yankees are not playing so it fits my needs. MLB'S a la cart option suits the fan that just wants to watch his team only.

Good points, particularly about surfing through channels. What do you pay for the package? I looked quickly but only found it listed as a four-payment plan for like $164, not sure if it's more expensive that way versus a lump sum.

I didn't know about MLB TV's single-team plan until I was looking into it after reading this thread. Sounds kind of perfect since I really only watch Yankees games, but some functions are lost, like the ability to choose home or away broadcasts. Since my MLB TV auto-renewed a month ago, I'll probably continue with premium this year, but might switch it up next year. I don't watch games religiously anymore, so it might be worth saving 25 bucks.

1093_chicago_white_sox-jersey-1982.png

I think this is the season where Pineda finally puts it all together. I'm talking 15+ wins, 3.00 era, 200 IP, 200+ K.

Good points, particularly about surfing through channels. What do you pay for the package? I looked quickly but only found it listed as a four-payment plan for like $164, not sure if it's more expensive that way versus a lump sum.

I didn't know about MLB TV's single-team plan until I was looking into it after reading this thread. Sounds kind of perfect since I really only watch Yankees games, but some functions are lost, like the ability to choose home or away broadcasts. Since my MLB TV auto-renewed a month ago, I'll probably continue with premium this year, but might switch it up next year. I don't watch games religiously anymore, so it might be worth saving 25 bucks.
I pay $113. That was the original price when the package came out. I'm kinda grandfathered in at that price since I've had it since it was first offered. I'm also an original Direct TV customer going back to 1994. I do have to call in every season to get that price. I'm always renewed at current rate.

About MLB.tv, if you are a TMobile subscriber, you get MLB.tv premium for free this year. Just need to sign up between April 3rd and 10th. http://www.t-mobile.com/mlb.html

While I don't expect them to contend, the Phillies are on the upward trend of the baseball roller coaster, watching some of their young guys this year should be fun.

Not a NYC thing but I like that Boston and Toronto are playing in Montreal tonight. People kill Montreal as not being a baseball town. I disagree. They weren't a supporter of bad basebaseball because they always traded their best players once they were about to reach free agency. So many great players played their and got shipped out. Hard to support that no matter what town baseball is played

C.C was named the 5th starter today. Not a surprise. If he was a rookie he would have been sent down but you can't bury a guy making the most money.

Not a NYC thing but I like that Boston and Toronto are playing in Montreal tonight. People kill Montreal as not being a baseball town. I disagree. They weren't a supporter of bad basebaseball because they always traded their best players once they were about to reach free agency. So many great players played their and got shipped out. Hard to support that no matter what town baseball is played

This is true, and the Expos actually out drew the Yankees a few times during the 80's.

I heard a commercial on NJ 101.5 that Comcast has dropped YES Network? Will this be resolved by Opening Day?

NL East is a two horse race barring a rash of injuries. Mets will win it again IMO but certainly not a gimme.

The Yankees OF is injury prone, and Teixeira and ARod are near the end too. Castro is serviceable but nothing special. Severino will be a good one in time. The back of the bullpen is awesome if Miller's wrist is not an issue, once Chapman is back from his suspension. Toronto should win the AL East.

Cubs lineup looks strong but I don't know about the depth of their starting pitching. Arrieta should be great again, but take a step back. Lester is a good #2. After them, I am not convinced. Still, I think they win the Central.

The Dodgers have pitching concerns too after Kershaw because the starters are all injury risks. I think the Giants make their even year run again.

Play ball!

Agree, when they were good the city supported them. My wife's family knows less than zero about baseball and she recalls going to a game or two every season.

I'm concerned because Comcast hasn't renewed contract with YES Network to broadcast Yankee games.

All the way.
ny_mets_brush_pack_by_uneekresources.jpg
:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT