ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2021 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mets need an offensive infusion. Hopefully some of the chips still out there - Bryant / Baez /Story etc are headed here. As pathetic as a division this is , Mets will not win division with this putrid lineup- putting up 3 runs or less per game.

Mets need an offensive infusion. Hopefully some of the chips still out there - Bryant / Baez /Story etc are headed here. As pathetic as a division this is , Mets will not win division with this putrid lineup- putting up 3 runs or less per game.
Unfortunately, I don’t think any of these are the answer either. I’m not sure what they do with Story once Lindor is back. They certainly won’t be playing the .240 hitting SS over the .228 hitting shortstop with the 321 million dollar contract. I think I’ll throw up if they get Baez.

Reactions: shields
will speculate Mets get Story and or Bryant. Wouldn’t be shocked if Story and Gray come to Mets for JD Davis and prospects. Bryant for prospects

Reactions: knightinaz
Given the crap the Yankees gave up for Gallo and Rizzo, Mets better not give up any of their top prospects for whoever they acquire.
This is what I’m afraid of. While everyone else always gave up to 60 cents to a dollar, Mets always had to give up at least 90 cents. Sometimes the whole dollar:

Reactions: BigEastPhil
Not Mets related but this asshat should just retire and stop trending on Twitter!!!

since Cohen has taken over, it’s been mostly talk. One trade that didn’t work out well for either team so far.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
I am also wondering if the team is willing to go over the tax or if they have Wilpon muscle memory and just cannot bring themselves to go over.

Just curious, do you think Sandy is calling the shots on the deadline deals or the GM?
My guess: Zach is doing the front line negotiating, Sandy says yea or nay. Uncle Steve has probably pre-approved exceeding the luxury tax cap by $X. If it's more than X he will need to approve too.

If the Mets are "in it to win it," what exactly are they looking for and who is still available?

If the Mets are "in it to win it," what exactly are they looking for and who is still available?
I think only key players known to be available that are of interest to Mets are:

- Kris Bryant
- Javy Baez
- Craig Kimbrel
- Trevor Story
-Josh Donaldson
- Jose Berrios (maybe?)
- Rodriguez (Pirates reliever)

Am I missing anyone?

I think it's Sandy's MO to wait for the last second - a la trade with Cespedes at 3:59 PM - a minute before deadline.

I think only key players known to be available that are of interest to Mets are:

- Kris Bryant
- Javy Baez
- Craig Kimbrel
- Trevor Story
-Josh Donaldson
- Jose Berrios (maybe?)
- Rodriguez (Pirates reliever)

Am I missing anyone?

I think it's Sandy's MO to wait for the last second - a la trade with Cespedes at 3:59 PM - a minute before deadline.
Baez, Rodriguez, and Kimbrel would be solid pick-ups, but not sure about the rest. I don't feel any of these other guys will push the Mets over the top.

Last edited:
Yep. In the example you cite, Sandy kept waiting for Detroit to lower it's price. They did not. They wanted Fulmer and were willing to walk away if they didn't get him. Finally Sandy blinked.

I saw a tweet from a reporter (forget who) that Steve wants a splashy deal, and is pressuring Sandy to get one done. We'll know soon enough.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Yep. In the example you cite, Sandy kept waiting for Detroit to lower it's price. They did not. They wanted Fulmer and were willing to walk away if they didn't get him. Finally Sandy blinked.

I saw a tweet from a reporter (forget who) that Steve wants a splashy deal, and is pressuring Sandy to get one done. We'll know soon enough.
It sounds like Sandy thinks he's still working for the Coupons. Are they the NY Mets or the Pittsburgh Mets? And why is Zak Scott even the "acting GM?"

If Steve wants to make a splash, he should replace President Sandy Alderson and acting GM Zak Scott with David Stearns of the Brewers for both positions.

Scary Tweet from Mike Puma:

"Mets are laughing at ridiculous asks from other teams. Continue to talk to several teams".

Translation: Mets are not near a deal.

To the life of me, every other damn team can make steals of trades (Yankees / Dodgers / Brewers Blue Jays / White Sox / Astros etc) and we continue to be stuck in quick sand.

As usual, I expect us to overpay as we always do relative to other teams.

"Mets are laughing at ridiculous asks from other teams. Continue to talk to several teams".

To the life of me, every other damn team can make steals of trades (Yankees / Dodgers / Brewers Blue Jays / White Sox / Astros etc) and we continue to be stuck in quick sand.

Yanks pick up Rizzo from the Cubs for a bag of balls and got the Cubs to pay his salary for the remainder of the season. Mets inquire about anyone and they want nothing but top prospects.

Yanks pick up Rizzo from the Cubs for a bag of balls and got the Cubs to pay his salary for the remainder of the season. Mets inquire about anyone and they want nothing but top prospects.
Schwarber traded to Red Sox for a character (I believe real name) named Aldo Ramirez. The saga continue with the rich getting richer giving up nothing and we're dealing with laughable asks. Unless we're asking for Mike Trout or Sandy loves to wait for other teams to say "Uncle" which every team dumping has done so far - I don't get it.

Baez, Rodriguez, and Kimbrel would be solid pick-ups, but not sure about the rest. I don't feel any of these other guys will push the Mets over the top.
You'd rather have Baez than Bryant? Bryant is far more versatile.. Can play at least 4 different positions, infield and outfield and would allow them to sit Conforto often.

Good thing that Schwarber is gone. Rather have Bryant, Comforto can sit then.

Schwarber traded to Red Sox for a character (I believe real name) named Aldo Ramirez. The saga continue with the rich getting richer giving up nothing and we're dealing with laughable asks. Unless we're asking for Mike Trout or Sandy loves to wait for other teams to say "Uncle" which every team dumping has done so far - I don't get it.

Typical that the SUPERSTAR TEAMS get the superstars for Luis Sojo and a groundskeeper but yet the Mets have to give up their Top 5 prospects and some MLBers.

Michael Mayer?

220px-MichaelMyers2018.jpg

He's right. Stop fretting.

Michael Mayer is executive editor of metsmerized.com and Metsminors.net. Two excellent Mets blogs. According to his LinkedIn, he is also Third Selectman for the town of Thorndike, but that's not important right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT