ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2021 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd rather have Baez than Bryant? Bryant is far more versatile.. Can play at least 4 different positions, infield and outfield and would allow them to sit Conforto often.
I'm not big on players from the Cubs except for Kimbrel and Baez. Kimbrel helps the bullpen in a big way. Baez may not offer the flexibility of Bryant, but he would give the Mets life and some fire in their bellies. The Mets seem to be going through the motions right now. I feel like better players were available, but the Mets had no interest.

Reactions: tico brown
Doc posted a list of players interested in above. Going over the list, I do not think there is anyone on there that merits trading Baty, Alvarez or Allan. I am ok with losing Maurico for some of those players since he is blocked by Lindor. I would not trade any of the three I listed for a rental.

Doc posted a list of players interested in above. Going over the list, I do not think there is anyone on there that merits trading Baty, Alvarez or Allan. I am ok with losing Maurico for some of those players since he is blocked by Lindor. I would not trade any of the three I listed for a rental.
Too bad this is not the Yankees or Dodgers. All they have to give up is Jimmy Lipper and a groundskeeper.

Given the crap the Yankees gave up for Gallo and Rizzo, Mets better not give up any of their top prospects for whoever they acquire.
Just read an article by a Chicago writer who was surprised at HOW MUCH they got for Rizzo, a much better return than he expected. In a direct reference to the Mets, the writer said he could understand how a buyer could define that ask as *laughable".

Just read an article by a Chicago writer who was surprised at HOW MUCH they got for Rizzo, a much better return than he expected. In a direct reference to the Mets, the writer said he could understand how a buyer could define that ask as *laughable".
Yankees gave up their # 10 and 12 prospects in Rizzo deal. That’s not a lot. With the exception of what the Dodgers understandbly gave up for Max and Turner - every prospect traded to date has been in the 8-20 range. Whatever deal gets made, the Mets should adhere and the best prospect traded should be a Mark Vientos/ Szapucki tier B type - not our top 5- which is what I am sure Cubs and other teams are asking

Reactions: cicero grimes
Reports are Mets nearing deal for Bryant and Davies. Stay tuned!
If Mets get Bryant and Davies, I assume JD Davis is part of the package. I don't love that but I guess I am OK with it. Mets view Baty as their long term 3B. Or Mauricio. Or Vientos. 3B is one position that the Mets appear to have covered.

Reactions: shields
If Mets get Bryant and Davies, I assume JD Davis is part of the package. I don't love that but I guess I am OK with it. Mets view Baty as their long term 3B. Or Mauricio. Or Vientos. 3B is one position that the Mets appear to have covered.
Per Feinsand via MLB notification. We ll see if it happens. Didn’t realize Vientos has 20 hrs. Good to know. I drafted him 2-3 years ago for my farm system. Traded him. Lol

Per Feinsand via MLB notification. We ll see if it happens. Didn’t realize Vientos has 20 hrs. Good to know. I drafted him 2-3 years ago for my farm system. Traded him. Lol

He had 2 last night. Helped his stock immensely and should be pushing as a back end top 100 guy now.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
Yankees gave up their # 10 and 12 prospects in Rizzo deal. That’s not a lot. With the exception of what the Dodgers understandbly gave up for Max and Turner - every prospect traded to date has been in the 8-20 range. Whatever deal gets made, the Mets should adhere and the best prospect traded should be a Mark Vientos/ Szapucki tier B type - not our top 5- which is what I am sure Cubs and other teams are asking

These rankings need to be re-worked. The top 10's going into the year were not as good as normal since there were was no minor league season last year. Some of the bigger prospect writers were adamant the Rangers got a few top 10 guys from the Yanks in the Gallo trade if rankings were re-done. Just something to think about.

These rankings need to be re-worked. The top 10's going into the year were not as good as normal since there were was no minor league season last year. Some of the bigger prospect writers were adamant the Rangers got a few top 10 guys from the Yanks in the Gallo trade if rankings were re-done. Just something to think about.
One thing about Yankee prospects. They generally always suck.

There will be a midseason update, probably in August. It's always after the trade deadline as they slot prospects in with their new teams.

There will be a midseason update, probably in August. It's always after the trade deadline as they slot prospects in with their new teams.

Correct and also because of the draft. I just wanted to mention it though because we have a lot of new info about these players since any updates were made so can't just look at the rankings and say they got such and such.

I am not thrilled with Davies but wouldn't mind Bryant. That is a big bat that can protect Alonso. And if JD goes to the Cubs, he couldn't be too upset with how his value will jump over his next couple of years before FA. The guy will be hitting .300 30+ HR there and with next year going to DH...he may not make playoffs but may help him to big $$$
And I hope we don't go after Baez...Guy has been on a major trend down and at best, he is Lindor's baby brother. I do not see an upside with him.

Scary tweet from Jon Heyman: Mets may pivot to Josh Harrison if Bryant deal doesn’t happen. Ugh. Epic failure should that occur

Scary tweet from Jon Heyman: Mets may pivot to Josh Harrison if Bryant deal doesn’t happen. Ugh. Epic failure should that occur
I saw the same tweet - how is it scary? Harrison is Plan B. Would you prefer not having a Plan B?

Are you suggesting that Mets must come away with Bryant at any cost? That under no circumstances should they walk away, no matter how bad the deal?

Now THAT I do find scary!

I would add that leaking that they may be pivoting away from Bryant could be a useful negotiating gambit in itself.

I saw the same tweet - how is it scary? Harrison is Plan B. Would you prefer not having a Plan B?

Are you suggesting that Mets must come away with Bryant at any cost? That under no circumstances should they walk away, no matter how bad the deal?

Now THAT I do find scary!

I would add that leaking that they may be pivoting away from Bryant could be a useful negotiating gambit in itself.
Josh Harrison? Mr 36?year old Super Sub? Harrison does not move the needle. Trevor Story and/ or Javy Baez is a plan B. If Josh Harrison is plan B - we re doomed.
The team in the Bronx was able to obtain Gallo and Rizzo for nada. Why can’t Mets do the same and always overpay. It’s like Groundhog Day.

Not trading because of team chemistry could be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard if there is an upgrade of talent.

Reactions: shields
Josh Harrison? Mr 36?year old Super Sub? Harrison does not move the needle. Trevor Story and/ or Javy Baez is a plan B. If Josh Harrison is plan B - we re doomed.
The team in the Bronx was able to obtain Gallo and Rizzo for nada. Why can’t Mets do the same and always overpay. It’s like Groundhog Day.
There may be multiple Plans B.

One thing we all need to remember. Reporters report what is leaked to them. Doesn't mean what is leaked is true. Nor does it mean what is not leaked is false. Teams are funny that way.

There may be multiple Plans B.

One thing we all need to remember. Reporters report what is leaked to them. Doesn't mean what is leaked is true. Nor does it mean what is not leaked is false. Teams are funny that way.
Agreed. Could very well be a leak. But for Heyman to say Harrison is plan B is either comical or scary. Hate to say it but tweets from Puma yesterday and now Heyman make me quite leery and fearful of uncertainty with Mets front office.

Because the team in the Bronx, and other national teams can get top stars for Jimmy Lipper and one glove. The Mets have to give up everyone for the same players.

The Berrios price was pretty high. #5 overall draft pick in the SS, and the pitcher the Mets traded for Stro two years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT