ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2021 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight starting at 8pm is the 30 for 30 on espn about the 86 Mets. Parts 1 and 2 tonight at 8pm and 9pm and parts 3 and 4 tomorrow at 8 and 9 pm. I ll be watching and enjoying as well as cringing I’m sure. Shame this team only won 1 World Series as drugs; partying; the Cardinals and Orel Hershiser prevented us from winning more. Had there been a wild card at that time , Mets would have made playoffs from 84-90 every year.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Hope he walks
No worries. Come the off-season, the Mets will surely let him walk.

EDIT: In fact we may have just seen Almora's last appearance as a Met. Nimmo is eligible to come off the IL tomorrow. If he does, it's adios Albert.

Last edited:
You are correct
That’s What Gary said

I guess he meant it’s nine straight 1 run games

this now makes them 1-15 in last 16 one run games

Not "same old" at all - maybe.

Yes, Alderson will be President. There will also be a President of Baseball Operations and a GM. They will run the show.

In the Wilpon years, do you know who was President? Saul Katz. He was not the problem. Nor will Alderson be.

Reactions: Plum Street
Not "same old" at all - maybe.

Yes, Alderson will be President. There will also be a President of Baseball Operations and a GM. They will run the show.

In the Wilpon years, do you know who was President? Saul Katz. He was not the problem. Nor will Alderson be.
Agree to disagree.

As long as Alderson is around, whoever is GM or whoever runs the team must run it the Sandy Way. No Theo… Nobody from successful orgs like Tampa. Besides the last two GM hires have been great, eh??? More of the same Sandy crap who can’t even sign first round draft picks right.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Never
You are correct
That’s What Gary said

I guess he meant it’s nine straight 1 run games

this now makes them 1-15 in last 16 one run games
Never in a million years would I have believed that this team needs to be blown up after being in 1st place at the all star break, but it’s obvious it does. The roster is filled with overrated underachievers and led by losers in Alderson and Rojas. It’s amazing how far away this team actually is. I think if the season stated today, perhaps only Arizona is worse in the NL.

Reactions: rurahrah000
Question: How hard will it be to bring in a credible President of Baseball Operations? The Mets couldn't do it last year. And IMO the job is significantly LESS attractive than it was a year ago. Some reasons:
  1. LINDOR CONTRACT - At this point, Lindor is what his record says he is: a plus defender, but an average hitter at best. His contract is likely to be an albatross around the neck of Mets management for years to come.
  2. DEGROM INJURY - Last year at this time we were sure of one thing: we had the best pitcher (and if necessary, most valuable trade asset) in the game. Now? A question mark.
  3. LACK OF TRADEABLE ASSETS - If you want to make trades, you need young controllable players which other teams want. Last year at this time we had Rosario, Gimenez, McNeil, and Dom Smith. Two of those bullets have been fired. The other two have been significantly devalued. If the new guy wants to deal without bleeding the farm system, what capital does he have? Alonso? Maybe Nimmo? (Although he is down to one year of team control.) That's about it.
  4. FARM SYSTEM DOWNTURN - Three of last years Top 12 prospects have been traded. More importantly, the 2021 draft could be a washout. As we know, the Mets scrimped in later rounds to go over slot in the first round for a guy they didn't sign. Yes, they have two premium picks next year - maybe. If they sign a qualifying free agent, they lose one of them.
  5. ENVIRONMENTAL UNCERTAINTY - Will the luxury tax threshold be decreased next year, as rumored? Will a floor be imposed to force the have nots to spend? If so, it could limit the impact of the Mets' greatest competitive advantage - Cohen's checkbook.
  6. BRAND DEVALUATION - A lot of crazy stuff has happened in Metsland this year. There were the Porter and Scott fiascos, the nonsense about rats, raccoons, and booing the fans. Also Cohen deciding he wants to act more like a fan than a baseball owner. Will this cause a top candidate to decide he'd rather have less money but more sanity?
  7. THE ALDERSON FACTOR - He's back for at least one more year. The plan is for him to keep his hands off. Will he be able to do it? And more importantly, will candidates believe it?
All of that said, it's quite possible that Cohen's checkbook can overcome all of these factors. Everybody's got a price for the 16 Billion Dollar Man.

Last edited:
Played themselves back into it only to quickly play themselves right back out of it. And the bad part is that it's not like any of the teams ahead of them are anything hot. Be it Atlanta, Philly, Cinncy, San Diego etc. They've just been the best of the mediocre. A good follow-up to the Yankees series could have put us in a good spot.

Reactions: rurahrah000
Sorry I posted my opinion about the Mets on the Mets thread full of opinions and overbearing fans from another team talking nothing but garbage for years.
Not a problem, that "other teams" fans will be crying in they're soup soon enough, lol.

What is Cohen talking about in his tweeting binge today?
Wow. Mike Puma wrote a column ripping the Mets, citing an unnamed former executive as his source. Cohen apparently knows (or thinks he knows) the source and is outing him/her. His right, I suppose. But IMO no way to win friends or influence people within the executive community that he is looking to woo.

This is becoming a sh*t show. I've cheered for this organization since the day I was conceived, but at what point does it become too much of a 3 ring circus?

I think Cohen needs to step away from SM...I love he has money and is an improvement over the Wilpons but he is quickly becoming the type of owner you would hate to work for.

That said- I see all sorts of Lindor sucks, drop McNeil, Don't sign Baez, let Conforto walk

All well and good but knowing we are locked into Lindor, no way we move Alonso (And I feel this is not a good example of how Lindor will hit. I still say he and Wright will be 1/2 in most Met hitting categories when all said and done. )
We have a couple of very promising kids in the minors but none of the big 3 are ready at this time. I would love to know what some of you think we can correct this if we are not signing someone like Baez, keeping McNeil and hoping Conforto takes a tender offer...I just don't see much out there that would be better.

Reactions: Plum Street
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT