ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2021 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guillermo Heredia claimed on waivers by Braves, so he's officially gone.

Jordan Humphreys DFA'd by Indians, after previously having been DFA'd by Giants, after having been jettisoned by Mets last year. Our moves don't always come back to bite us. It just seems that way.

Mets sign veteran backup catcher Caleb Joseph. Spent most of last year at Toronto alternate site. They signed him to a split contract, meaning he must be protected on the 40 man. So someone will have to go. Could this finally mean farewell to Daniel Zamora?

Reactions: cicero grimes
Just arrived in camp to work with the young kids. He played for the love of the game. 😁 He was old school. " Beisball has been berry berry good to me". Lets see which snowflakes this offends, lol.
chico-escuela-4.jpg

The Athletic with another story on Mickey Callaway. Does not bode well for the Indians management team or the Mets due diligence at the time they hired him to be their manager. Weren't the Mets trying to get Antonetti or Chernoff to come aboard as President this year?

Just arrived in camp to work with the young kids. He played for the love of the game. 😁 He was old school. " Beisball has been berry berry good to me". Lets see which snowflakes this offends, lol.
chico-escuela-4.jpg
I say that line all the time. Mostly because it is berry, berry funny!
Last time SNL was watchable.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Can someone explain to me why, when you have a 70 man preseason camp roster. you play seven inning games?

Reactions: Greg2020
Shocked how big Rony Maurico is. If he ever grows into that body he might generate some decent power.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Glad to see JBJ signed elsewhere- had no interest in him at this point.
let’s get this season started!!!

john heyman on WFAN said the Mets would have signed Bradley to a similar deal if the national league had the DH. When mlb couldn’t agree, they backed off

Reactions: BLewis1968
john heyman on WFAN said the Mets would have signed Bradley to a similar deal if the national league had the DH. When mlb couldn’t agree, they backed off
We would have and then would not have needed to sign the other 2 guys.
I would have been ok with that. Would have put JBJ batting 9th for the few times he got on base we would have speed in front of the next 3 guys

12 per year isn’t crazy but no longer made sense for us if no DH and if we were not going to trade Smith or Nimmo

Still can’t wrap my head around the DH. Baseball looks foolish being the only sport having different sets of rules for their divisions. For the love of ........ either totally do away with the DH or accept it with opens arms and allow it in BOTH divisions.

Reactions: Greg2020
Still can’t wrap my head around the DH. Baseball looks foolish being the only sport having different sets of rules for their divisions. For the love of ........ either totally do away with the DH or accept it with opens arms and allow it in BOTH divisions.
It will be gone next year as part of the new contract. MLB isn't going to just give that to the Union. It will be part of a quid pro guo so the league gets something back for it. Pitchers don't hit on any other league from HS through the minors. NL is the last holdout

I have to admit as much as I was anti DH prior to last season it has grown on me. The 7 inning double headers and starting extras with a man on base will never grow on me.

I have to admit as much as I was anti DH prior to last season it has grown on me. The 7 inning double headers and starting extras with a man on base will never grow on me.
Exactly the same thoughts...The man on 2nd on extra innings is something I hate...I know everyone wants to speed up games but that should be for the 9 innings not extra innings. I sort of like the stress that comes along with a long extra inning game where every single pitch is a do or die pitch

Just go to ties after 10 innings or so. Can live without 20 inning games on a June 15th, etc.

Love the 7 inning double headers. Rarely would I sit through 2 straight full games but I had no problem last year. I don't love or hate the guy starting at 2nd in extra. I hate missing a finish after watching a great game but games going into the 11pm hour aren't fun either. It's not like a coin toss in football can win a game. Each team plays their half inning.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
So, of the 2020 changes, these are the three that carried forward to 2021:
  • Three batter minimum (the LOOGY extinction rule)
  • 7 inning doubleheaders (which I am fine with)
  • Free runner on 2nd in extras (which I hated at first, but it's growing on me).
And the three that didn't:
  • 28 man roster (very sorry to see this go)
  • Universal DH (probably just a one year hiatus)
  • Expanded playoffs (Sadly, this too is probably just a one year hiatus).
Expanded playoffs made sense last year since the 60 game regular season wasn't a true test of who is deserving and who is not. 162 games is a true test, and there is no reason to allow the pretenders in. Unfortunately, more playoffs mean more money, which is what it's all about.

• Free runner on 2nd in extras (which I hated at first, but it's growing on me).
Expanded playoffs made sense last year since the 60 game regular season wasn't a true test of who is deserving and who is not. 162 games is a true test, and there is no reason to allow the pretenders in. Unfortunately, more playoffs mean more money, which is what it's all about.
the only two of these rules I like are the 28 man roster, and the dh.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I wonder how the seven inning doubleheader rule will work with day/night doubleheaders which are separate admission. If you have to pay full price and only see seven innings, you might feel a bit cheated.

Reactions: cicero grimes
SNY is about to show the Bartolo game where he hit the home run.

Too bad the Universal DH and Expanded Playoffs didn't make the cut.

The 7 inning doubleheader and free runner on 2nd are amateur props.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
I'm getting tired of Alderson talking down the team's defense. It sounds like he's trying to justify his signings to become starters over Nimmo, Smith, and Davis eventually. Every other article I read with quotes from Alderson is about the lack of defense. I guess Matz, Porcello, and Wacha had nothing to do with giving up runs that any defense could not defend. Even Alderson said something like the Mets was 12th (of 30 teams) in committing the fewest errors last year. The Dodgers were 20th, and no one complains about their defense. At this point, it's more about perception than reality. 🤬

Reactions: rubaseball78
I'm getting tired of Alderson talking down the team's defense. It sounds like he's trying to justify his signings to become starters over Nimmo, Smith, and Davis eventually. Every other article I read with quotes from Alderson is about the lack of defense. I guess Matz, Porcello, and Wacha had nothing to do with giving up runs that any defense could not defend. Even Alderson said something like the Mets was 12th (of 30 teams) in committing the fewest errors last year. The Dodgers were 20th, and no one complains about their defense. At this point, it's more about perception than reality. 🤬
The crazy thing to me is that Sandy sort of sounds like Ash did when he came here but this IS the organization that Sandy built. You are right though, he has a justification for every signing he didn't make and one for the lower tier signings he did make and it sounds like just before 2019 when all they did was act like McNeil wasn't a valid part of our team and had to go out and get guys like Cano and Lowrie
I love the team we have right now- I actually like the off season, I just don't like the narrative.
What is wrong with talking up your starters and just say this is our team. And then look even smarter and talk about the guys you signed as exactly what they are- great depth and a compliment to our starting team and each of them perfectly capable of stepping in even if a long term injury happens to one of the starters.
Rojas is just as bad.
I just hope the two of them don't screw it as as they actually built a very good team.

My question is now without the DH, which is worse defensively. Dom Smith in left, with JD Davis at 3rd{which I think he's fine} and Alonso at 1b, or JD in left, try Alonso at 3b during the spring and Dom at 1b? Personally, I think Dom in left is a total disaster, off the charts disaster when you combine dropped balls and lack of coverage. Forget who Anderson signed for the OF, their lack of offense HAS to be added into the equation. Somehow, someway, those 3 have to be in the lineup, day in day out.

My question is now without the DH, which is worse defensively. Dom Smith in left, with JD Davis at 3rd{which I think he's fine} and Alonso at 1b, or JD in left, try Alonso at 3b during the spring and Dom at 1b? Personally, I think Dom in left is a total disaster, off the charts disaster when you combine dropped balls and lack of coverage. Forget who Anderson signed for the OF, their lack of offense HAS to be added into the equation. Somehow, someway, those 3 have to be in the lineup, day in day out.
I think we need to see what Dom has done in the off season before we can answer that. The biggest concern right off the bat is that we know that changing positions around has not had a negative effect on Dom, JD and previously McNeil. The huge concern is what would trying to learn 3B do to Alonso at the plate. He has already said that he isn't a big fan of being a DH full time and that may have had some cause to his slow start last year. And he is not horrible at 1B.
JD should stay at 3B...I think he has a chance to at least get to the level of average. Alonso is already at about average at 1B(though, we know that Dom is well above average at 1B) - Dom, at this time is not good in LF. But...we only saw him last year when he got trial by fire at the highest level there is.
Making the sort of moves you are suggesting- may bring LF to slightly better with JD over Dom. 1B will be quite a bit better and 3B most likely a horror show and may put Alonso's bat into the shitter.
Let's not F around. Give Dom his chance to one again, prove himself. It seems that he has continued to do this since 2019. He just goes out and proves himself. Let JD keep working at 3B and leave Alonso alone and even get better once again. LAte innings, if needed, then we move Dom to 1B, Nimmo to LF and one of the new guys to CF.
Our lineup will win more games then our defense will lose them.

No way Alonzo is playing 3rd.

Reactions: knightinaz
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT