ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2021 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure your right, but that would strengthen 2 out of 3 positions defensively.
It takes 1B from average to above average 3B from below average to horrible and LF from below average to still below average but slightly better. And I feel it would be a disaster for Alonso at bat. There is not enough upside to even try.

Alonso at 3B? No way!
Don't be so quick to dismiss it Old article, but 3b isn't exactly foreign to him..http://metsminors.net/peter-alonso-talks-playing-third-base-and-first-pro-experience/
MMO-You played primarily third base in high school and then you transitioned to first base in college, is that right?

Pete – Yeah, I played third base in high school and I mean in college, my freshmen year I played a couple of games at third, and then eventually it just turned into we needed a first baseman, and I’m just a corner guy. I think I got a pretty good arm, I’ve got an arm that can be effective at third base and I know that, I know that I have a pretty good arm for a first baseman, and a lot of people told me that’s pretty rare to see. And for me, it’s just making that transition pretty easy, it’s just understanding the game from the first base position because it’s a totally different game.

The game changes for what position you play because it’s just how you perceive everything differently just from a position, because it’s a different game from the shortstop to third base, it’s a different game, it’s crazy. There’s just different little things you need to know and understand for each little description of the position. Understanding that and how it works, I mean it’s very similar to third but also you have to be better communicating with pitchers, second baseman, coverage, different double-play depths, talking to your shortstop, and talking to the catcher.

I feel like you’re a little bit more involved at first, and you’ve got to keep your head on a swivel a little bit more, but I find I adjusted fantastically and I’m just happy that I’ve accomplished so much defensively and I’m only going to get better, because that’s one of the things that I like to stress the most because one thing I learned at the University of Florida from Coach Brad Weitzel is offense can get you in the lineup, but defense keeps you in the lineup.

MMO – To follow up with that, given the situation the Mets are in with the health of David Wright at third, if the Mets asked you to go back to third and take reps at the hot corner, would you feel comfortable transitioning back?

Pete – Of course, I’d take reps wherever they want me, if they wanted me at catch, pitch, play shortstop, center field I don’t care I just want to play.

Don't be so quick to dismiss it Old article, but 3b isn't exactly foreign to him..http://metsminors.net/peter-alonso-talks-playing-third-base-and-first-pro-experience/
MMO-You played primarily third base in high school and then you transitioned to first base in college, is that right?

Pete – Yeah, I played third base in high school and I mean in college, my freshmen year I played a couple of games at third, and then eventually it just turned into we needed a first baseman, and I’m just a corner guy. I think I got a pretty good arm, I’ve got an arm that can be effective at third base and I know that, I know that I have a pretty good arm for a first baseman, and a lot of people told me that’s pretty rare to see. And for me, it’s just making that transition pretty easy, it’s just understanding the game from the first base position because it’s a totally different game.

The game changes for what position you play because it’s just how you perceive everything differently just from a position, because it’s a different game from the shortstop to third base, it’s a different game, it’s crazy. There’s just different little things you need to know and understand for each little description of the position. Understanding that and how it works, I mean it’s very similar to third but also you have to be better communicating with pitchers, second baseman, coverage, different double-play depths, talking to your shortstop, and talking to the catcher.

I feel like you’re a little bit more involved at first, and you’ve got to keep your head on a swivel a little bit more, but I find I adjusted fantastically and I’m just happy that I’ve accomplished so much defensively and I’m only going to get better, because that’s one of the things that I like to stress the most because one thing I learned at the University of Florida from Coach Brad Weitzel is offense can get you in the lineup, but defense keeps you in the lineup.

MMO – To follow up with that, given the situation the Mets are in with the health of David Wright at third, if the Mets asked you to go back to third and take reps at the hot corner, would you feel comfortable transitioning back?

Pete – Of course, I’d take reps wherever they want me, if they wanted me at catch, pitch, play shortstop, center field I don’t care I just want to play.
So he played 3rd base in high school and now he move over to 3rd in the big leagues?

Reactions: WhiteBus
In what world do you even want a guy like Alonso to have to change a position at this level when he is at least an average fielder at 1B and he is in the Bigs for his bat...It is something that the old Met's would have done.
Give me a 25/265 40-45 HR guy that plays a decent 1B and I sign up for that all day every day.
JD was not much better than Dom in LF either and I would prefer to just let JD work on 3B and own that position for the next 5 years. By making your move- 3B/LF may be a little worse than it is now and 1B is better. But you are taking the chance of f-ing up a lethal bat.

Leave Alonzo at 1B unless we get the DH back. I do remember when the Mets decided to put Jose Reyes at 2B so Kaz Matsui could play SS. I'll go with Smith in LF, Davis at 3B.

Gotta love it...deGrom to form, Diaz pitching well, bats are awake already...now, let's save some 6 run games for the regular season starts for Mr deGrom please

Weird stat: 36 pitches by one pitcher in one inning, no runs and not a single fair ball was hit. (3 walks and 3 strike outs.)

I still think the lack of emphasis on defense is going to come back to haunt us. The Dodgers and the Rays were two of the top three teams defensively last season. We are going to need to get a lead early and then move in the defensive guys and hope the bullpen can hold leads. Story in post says Mets looking at another IF and the ex Phil Maikel Franco may have some interest. Probably a better late inning defender than JD at third.

I still think the lack of emphasis on defense is going to come back to haunt us. The Dodgers and the Rays were two of the top three teams defensively last season. We are going to need to get a lead early and then move in the defensive guys and hope the bullpen can hold leads. Story in post says Mets looking at another IF and the ex Phil Maikel Franco may have some interest. Probably a better late inning defender than JD at third.
I've learned in all my years coaching baseball and football that you have to put players in a position to excel. You have to supply them with the tools to succeed while re-enforcing their confidence. The problem I see with the Mets is Rojas moves players around to positions where most haven't spent a ton of time to feel like it's a natural position. The blame falls on the Mets for not developing the players in the minors at these positions if they knew in advance that these players might play there in the big leagues. Also, Alderson is undermining these players' confidence by questioning their ability in a public forum. Management will do more damage to the success of this team than the lack of defense in question.

FYI: there are 30 teams in the league, and the Mets were 12th overall in the least amount of errors. Guys got to balls there were suppose to when challenged. It was the pitching that was the real problem that led to the Mets losing and underachieving. Wacha, Porcello, and Matz were a loss before the team took the field.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Lunged for a ground ball and crashed into an umpire. Torn meniscus. Keith and Ron said it was the umpire's fault. Gary thought he hurt himself while going for the ball and used the umpire to brace himself.
Ugh. Thanks.

Reactions: Greg2020
I've learned in all my years coaching baseball and football that you have to put players in a position to excel. You have to supply them with the tools to succeed while re-enforcing their confidence. The problem I see with the Mets is Rojas moves players around to positions where most haven't spent a ton of time to feel like it's a natural position. The blame falls on the Mets for not developing the players in the minors at these positions if they knew in advance that these players might play there in the big leagues. Also, Alderson is undermining these players' confidence by questioning their ability in a public forum. Management will do more damage to the success of this team than the lack of defense in question.
While I understand what you're saying to some extent; the ones really in question are Dom and Davis. Dom was never an OF and nobody saw him as one. He's a good fielding 1B and has only been forced into the OF in order to be able to get both him and Alonso in the lineup at the same time. As for JD the Mets didn't have him as a minor leaguer.

FYI: there are 30 teams in the league, and the Mets were 12th overall in the least amount of errors. Guys got to balls there were suppose to when challenged. It was the pitching that was the real problem that led to the Mets losing and underachieving. Wacha, Porcello, and Matz were a loss before the team took the field.
While I understand what you're saying to some extent; the ones really in question are Dom and Davis. Dom was never an OF and nobody saw him as one. He's a good fielding 1B and has only been forced into the OF in order to be able to get both him and Alonso in the lineup at the same time. As for JD the Mets didn't have him as a minor leaguer.
I understand what Cuff is saying but you are correct with those two players. Dom was groomed for 1B and he was higher on the Org list that Alonso was. Davis came in a trade but...when we got him, my understanding was that it was as a 3B. And yet, the Met's are throwing him into LF and now as they are putting back to 3B, they just won't allow him to grow into it.
But also to Cuffs' point. McNeil is another and I guess having Nimmo in CF all this time.

In the 25 or 30 games over the years that deGrom lost or had a ND in quality starts, how many were lost because of defense and how many were lost because of offense? This isn't even a trick question, we all know the answer...it was lack of offense.

The defense has not looked good early in spring training that's for sure. With regard to the Martinez injury, while the ump could have moved more quickly I thought the injury occurred before he hits the ump. I hear they are talking to Makiel Franco who brings a bat but another lousy fielder.

Don't we actually have defensive replacements in the infield with Guillorme and Villar? Not even horrible bats either. I would rather look for a pure defensive CF instead of someone like Franco. Franco makes no sense at all- I like Davis better in the field and at bat- and he gives us no value at 1B either where we have Pet and Dom.

In the 25 or 30 games over the years that deGrom lost or had a ND in quality starts, how many were lost because of defense and how many were lost because of offense? This isn't even a trick question, we all know the answer...it was lack of offense.
I respectfully disagree. Pitching and defense win championships. I submit the 2015 World Series as exhibit A.

Don't we actually have defensive replacements in the infield with Guillorme and Villar? Not even horrible bats either. I would rather look for a pure defensive CF instead of someone like Franco. Franco makes no sense at all- I like Davis better in the field and at bat- and he gives us no value at 1B either where we have Pet and Dom.
Sandy sees the 20 plus homer guy he was in Philly. He likes offense but the team needs help picking the ball.

I respectfully disagree. Pitching and defense win championships. I submit the 2015 World Series as exhibit A.
I have always been a pitching and defense guy but a better defense wasnt getting us into the playoffs the past few years. Better hitting would have...Actually- better clutch hitting. Pitching is also at fault. But I look at 100% deGrom- if we hit for him over the past 3 years, we would have been in the playoffs each year.. 2013- we lost at least 13 of his starts that he pitched his ass off and we didnt score for him. 10 games in 2019 and another 3 in 2020...

In this day and age 4 months seems like a long time. Football players get their knee cleaned out and are back sooner. I'm thinking there's more than just cartilage damage..

Reactions: cicero grimes
Mets made first cuts today, dropping 22. Camp roster is now 53. The only cut that I found mildly surprising was Trevor Hildenberger, who I thought had a shot at making the team. The tougher cuts are of course still to come.

Carrasco elbow soreness and doubtful to open the season on the roster. Don't like the sound of that.

Carrasco elbow soreness and doubtful to open the season on the roster. Don't like the sound of that.
I also always find it strange when pro sports teams wait on doing an MRI...what are they worried about the &1500 bill or something? I'm sorry but if I had a pro franchise and a player says something hurts- they are on in that MRI same day...

I also always find it strange when pro sports teams wait on doing an MRI...what are they worried about the &1500 bill or something? I'm sorry but if I had a pro franchise and a player says something hurts- they are on in that MRI same day...

Yeah never understood that. They own the machine at the facility I believe. They already pay the tech who reads them also.

Anyway hopefully it's nothing to be concerned about. He did this has happened in past years.

And there were many who didn’t want Trevor Bauer on the team.... starting pitching is so brittle...,.you never have enough

I'm a pitching and defense guy, but of course if we could hit a lick we win G1 with ease. Gosh Cuddyer was awful that game.

And there were many who didn’t want Trevor Bauer on the team.... starting pitching is so brittle...,.you never have enough
Still don't want to pay him $40 mil for 1 eye pitching...He is most likely a $20 million type of pitcher. Would be a nice arm on the staff but not worth that much more than deGrom...the better argument is that this is why we should have gotten one of the next tier of SP...

#Lolmets. Embarassing. What are they 9 yrs old? Who practices WS celebrations in spring training? Ohh yeah. A team that had t anything in 35 years.
how about they try and finish .500 first.

#Lolmets. Embarassing. What are they 9 yrs old? Who practices WS celebrations in spring training? Ohh yeah. A team that had t anything in 35 years.

Look the moron is back!

Schiano does it all the time. If you recall Flood practiced the punt formation play to run the clock. It came in handy against Maryland. Only losers never prepared for every possible scenario.

Baseball is a very long season and has gotten too business. Teams have been doing silly stuff to break the monotony all the time. Having some fun as a team is a good thing.

Lighten up, Francis.

Look the moron is back!
Who is he a superfan of? I wonder if he's what I like to call, "popup fans". You know, those front runners who always seem to be a fan of the current best team in a particular sport, lol.

Who is he a superfan of? I wonder if he's what I like to call, "popup fans". You know, those front runners who always seem to be a fan of the current best team in a particular sport, lol.

I have been posting on this board for nearly 20 years there fluffy. Take the thong out of your arse and lighten up there baloney tits .

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT