ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2021 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rojas is not going to get fired after five games. He's just not. But he could get fired after 50 games, if the Mets are floundering around .500.

Three facts must be remembered:
  1. He got the job by default.
  2. No one in the current regime had anything to do with his hiring.
  3. He's on the final year of his contract.
That's a tough trifecta to overcome.
Along with the fact that he showed absolutely nothing managing the team last season.

Rojas is not going to get fired after five games. He's just not. But he could get fired after 50 games, if the Mets are floundering around .500.

Why wait for a manager to sink the season before reacting? That's like letting your house burn to the ground before calling the fire dept.

Another thing, if he was wasn't your choice, why stick with him? In most sports, a new owner means new leadership in place so everyone is on the same page.

Peterson with the 13.50 ERA up against the Phils today.

The article below says the starting pitching rotation could be the best in years. How so?

de Grom. That's it, for now. Walker looked good in his first start, but we will see more tomorrow. Jury out on Stroman.

Lucchesi? "In total, he has a 4.21 ERA, 95 ERA+, and 3.0 bWAR in his major league career thus far. Lucchesi has significantly worse numbers the third time through the order, which could lead to the Mets using an opener ahead of him or a long reliever behind him on a regular basis."

The article below says the starting pitching rotation could be the best in years. How so?

de Grom. That's it, for now. Walker looked good in his first start, but we will see more tomorrow. Jury out on Stroman.

Lucchesi? "In total, he has a 4.21 ERA, 95 ERA+, and 3.0 bWAR in his major league career thus far. Lucchesi has significantly worse numbers the third time through the order, which could lead to the Mets using an opener ahead of him or a long reliever behind him on a regular basis."

I trust Lucchesi more than Peterson right now. From its looks, during spring training, Lucchesi is starting to put it together as a pitcher. The same could happen for Peterson at some point in the future, but not right now. Stroman has a track record to back him, and so far through spring training and his first start says he's a solid number 2. Walker has pitched well in the past. His problem is staying healthy. That's the main reason why teams have moved on from him.

I agree it could be the best starting pitching in years for the Mets when everyone is healthy. I'm more concerned with the bullpen and the manager. Those two can do far more damage to the team's success because of foolish decisions and consistent underperforming.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Aside from deGrom, every single one of the Mets starters is over-rated. Syndergaard can definitely be a solid Number 2 if healthy but that’s a big if. Regardless, he’s not as good as his billing. Stroman is a 3-4, and Peterson and Walker are 4/5s although Walker looked good in his 1st start. Carrasco could be a solid 3, but who knows. Lucchesi is just this year’s version of Wachta-Porcelli dumpster diving, IMO

Why wait for a manager to sink the season before reacting? That's like letting your house burn to the ground before calling the fire dept.

Another thing, if he was wasn't your choice, why stick with him? In most sports, a new owner means new leadership in place so everyone is on the same page.
I am not arguing whether Rojas should or shouldn't be gone. I am just stating a fact - he won't be. Not for another month or so at least. Cohen and Anderson decided he was their guy for 2021. They are not going to do a 180 after just five games.

Besides, if you fire your manager you have to replace him. They don't have a manager in waiting.

My guess is that for better or worse, Rojas gets the whole season.

Aside from deGrom, every single one of the Mets starters is over-rated. Syndergaard can definitely be a solid Number 2 if healthy but that’s a big if. Regardless, he’s not as good as his billing. Stroman is a 3-4, and Peterson and Walker are 4/5s although Walker looked good in his 1st start. Carrasco could be a solid 3, but who knows. Lucchesi is just this year’s version of Wachta-Porcelli dumpster diving, IMO
I guess you wanted cheating Bauer? 🤣
Carrasco is a solid number 2, and his track record backs it.
Stroman is a number 3, but he could be a number 2 if he pitches as he did against Philly.
Walker has the stuff to be a number 3, but he has to stay healthy.
Peterson is not a 4/5 right now. He's young and still has to learn a few more things since the book is out on him.
Lucchesi is much better than Wacha or Porcello. Both of them don't belong on an MLB roster.
Syndergaard has ace material, but he will continue to have WTF moments until he mentally grows up.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
How much did Stroman throw yesterday? I don't understand why he needs to wait another 5 days to pitch. Push back a #4 or #5 and get him in, but of course don't touch deGrom, as you don't mess with greatness. Such forkin pussies play the game nowadays!!!

Stroman had as good or better start than Walker but “jury still out on Stroman... Walker looked good in his first start.” 😂

Only absolute is that degrom is a HOF pitcher with no support. As good as Walker and Stroman looked in their first starts, I’m not saying anything until 4, 5 starts down the road from now. Even Peterson, who is better than how he was in his first start. The Mets have the potential to have the best rotation in baseball when Syndergaard and Carrasco starts pitching again. But of course we have Sandy Rojas to worry about.

How much did Stroman throw yesterday? I don't understand why he needs to wait another 5 days to pitch. Push back a #4 or #5 and get him in, but of course don't touch deGrom, as you don't mess with greatness. Such forkin pussies play the game nowadays!!!
I think he wants to pitch today even after throwing yesterday but analytics says no.

• Angry
Reactions: RUfinally2008
Stroman had as good or better start than Walker but “jury still out on Stroman... Walker looked good in his first start.” 😂

Only absolute is that degrom is a HOF pitcher with no support. As good as Walker and Stroman looked in their first starts, I’m not saying anything until 4, 5 starts down the road from now. Even Peterson, who is better than how he was in his first start. The Mets have the potential to have the best rotation in baseball when Syndergaard and Carrasco starts pitching again. But of course we have Sandy Rojas to worry about.
Left out Stroman, forgot about his first start against Phils--6 IP, 3 Hits, 1 ER; maybe it was that did not expect much from Walker, who was 6 IP, 2 ER 4 hits. Agree- edge to Stroman in limited sample size.

Left out Stroman, forgot about his first start against Phils--6 IP, 3 Hits, 1 ER; maybe it was that did not expect much from Walker, who was 6 IP, 2 ER 4 hits. Agree- edge to Stroman in limited sample size.
Let’s see what happens next few starts. Hopefully things will be better.

Walkers performance certainly could be an anomaly, but the thing that stood out was his velocity. His fastball was sitting above 95, and that’s higher than he’s thrown since before Tommy John. Could be that the recovery from Tommy John is complete, and his arm has strengthened. We will see, but the reason for optimism is the velocity improvement. Hope it continues.

I think he wants to pitch today even after throwing yesterday but analytics says no.
Well, after reading your post, I feel better about Stroman. If the man wants to pitch either today or tomorrow, then Rojas needs to give him the ball!!!

I guess you wanted cheating Bauer? 🤣
Carrasco is a solid number 2, and his track record backs it.
Stroman is a number 3, but he could be a number 2 if he pitches as he did against Philly.
Walker has the stuff to be a number 3, but he has to stay healthy.
Peterson is not a 4/5 right now. He's young and still has to learn a few more things since the book is out on him.
Lucchesi is much better than Wacha or Porcello. Both of them don't belong on an MLB roster.
Syndergaard has ace material, but he will continue to have WTF moments until he mentally grows up.
Yes, I actually want Bauer especially since he won’t get caught and even if he did, nothing will happen to him. No question that he’s a nutjob, but he has balls and I think this Mets team needs that. I like Peterson but if you look at his analytics, he’s lucky to have his record and his moderate success. I agree with you about Syndergaard and am afraid he might just become a mental case. Time will tell.

Well, after reading your post, I feel better about Stroman. If the man wants to pitch either today or tomorrow, then Rojas needs to give him the ball!!!
“I *THINK...”

I shouldn’t have said that since it was my assumption that he’d still pitch today after yesterday. But definitely is upset that he was wasted yesterday.

Here’s his Tweet about it:

Reading the past few post- I would have taken Bauer but not for $40 mil and I really would have worried about chemistry. And then, what would it take to keep deGrom...So many reasons not to want him. And not sure which TB you get. The plus 4 era TB or the dominate TB.
As stated - deGrom- Ace among Ace's. No arguments there.
Stroman, yes, he still has to prove himself. But, he is, at worst, a strong 3 and many in baseball consider him a solid 2.
Walker- I think he falls in between a 3/4. But health is the concern. If healthy, he is not a 5. He is much better than that. Heck- his career ERA is better than Bauer's...Just saying
Peterson- very true, just no way to know who he is yet...he is the big ???
Luchessi- if you get the 2018/19 guy, then a solid 4/5 guy. Back end of the order guy but on the very high spectrum in that spot. But, health puts that into ???

So, as is, it is no where near the top of MLB. Falls somewhere in the middle. But also, it would not be the reason for us to fail. And then, we bring back Noah and Carasco- Both of those guys are considered top line number 2's.

If we stay in this and stay healthy until Noah and Carasco come back- we would be in position for the best rotation in BB... On the other hand- could all go south and we are left with deGrom and hope for rain

I read someone Lowrie is trying to sue the Mets because they didn't let him have surgery on his leg when he was hurt. The Mets should sue him for fraud and theft. He faked being a healthy player before he signed and stole millions doing nothing.

I read someone Lowrie is trying to sue the Mets because they didn't let him have surgery on his leg when he was hurt. The Mets should sue him for fraud and theft. He faked being a healthy player before he signed and stole millions doing nothing.
That is all on our bumbling Mets. It is a mult million $ organization. It is up to them to put a FA through physicals. Lowrey, like anyone else, is going to sign a guarantee $20 mil, injured or not.
and if he was asking for surgery earlier and they didn’t allow it, this missing 2 years instead of 1...even worse on the Mets

That is all on our bumbling Mets. It is a mult million $ organization. It is up to them to put a FA through physicals. Lowrey, like anyone else, is going to sign a guarantee $20 mil, injured or not.
and if he was asking for surgery earlier and they didn’t allow it, this missing 2 years instead of 1...even worse on the Mets
Just as we give RU a pass for sh!t that happened in the Flood/Ash era, I'm willing to give the Mets a pass for the Brodie era.

Yeah this Lowrie thing is royally getting on my nerves. Not quite at Kelenic levels, but climbing.

This is on BVW, who basically gave his former client a two year paid vacation.

Reactions: FrankZ

If this is correct, then it gives more reason to believe that the Wilpon's were happy to sign a player and then stash them on the DL just to turn around and collect some insurance money.

If this is correct, then it gives more reason to believe that the Wilpon's were happy to sign a player and then stash them on the DL just to turn around and collect some insurance money.
They don’t make money on insurance. The best they can hope for is to recover some. To everyone else’s but- this and Kelenic are pre Cohen so the new Mets get to start over.
I also believe that at signing- Lowrey may have been hurting but didn’t know how bad. But if the new team doesn’t insist on a full physical, then that is their bad. Lowrie would have rather play then be hurt. Anyone that thinks he purposely took the money and hoped he wouldn’t play, doesn’t get a pro athlete.
I also believe that once he found out how bad and wanted surgery, the Mets refused. I have seen that same exact thing happen first hand.
mans to think, BVW and Coupons thought he was a better signing then DJL...

Johnny Stephenson turns 80 today.He made the last out in Jim Bunning's perfect game.

Maybe Aaron Nola will throw a 7 inning version tonight,defeating the Mets' plan to insert Stroman instead of Lucchesi .

This will likely be a 3 game series as the forecast calls for rain starting on Thursday morning and continuing for several hours.

Not if he wins

Can’t walk a guy hitting 1-18

top 2 hitters 0-4 4 K’s
Puppet Moron pulls Walker

Fat a$$ Joe west missed a pitch 3 inches IN the strike zone

Reactions: Greg2020
As I was about to say I expect Walker to be pulled before the 6th inning- he lets 2 on and yanked...
Hopefully Castro can hold...but in 1 run games, I always feel it means a loss for us when we go to the BP

Reactions: Greg2020
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT