ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2021 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ignore them. Hopefully they’ll wither and die.
I get that, but the excuse this year can't be Mets fans go to the Dead Zone and provoke them. Once they come here to talk shit when they don't talk about their hughly under preforming team, means the gloves come off. Not sure what I enjoy more, watching them lose, or see their thread drop off page#1, lol

My final word on this topic until medical information is released.
  1. I neither know nor care what the radio and online people are saying. They are baseball experts (more or less) not medical experts.
  2. If the tests show something, then the team can make an intelligent decision. Can't prescribe a remedy without a diagnosis.
  3. If the tests show nothing but deGrom is still feeling pain, then shut it down until he's completely pain free. Easy call... unless the pain lingers indefinitely. If so, then at some point maybe you take your chances on pitching through it. We are a LONG way from that decision though.
  4. But what if tests show nothing and he says he is pain free? What then? You have absolutely no information on which to base any decision, which is a tough way to make a decision.
  5. Keep in mind that his last three starts have been cut down by three separate maladies. Are they somehow related? Who knows? If it were a recurrence of the same problem, the path forward might be clearer.
  6. In short, I have no idea what to do.
  7. I would never state or infer that a fellow board participant is an idiot, and I do apologize if that's how I came across.

Regardless of anything else- Jake has a better grasp of his body and the ramifications, short and long term, of any decision.
I dare say, he has more to lose than anyone. I don’t believe he would pitch if he had any doubts at all. He has a monster extension coming soon.
Jake's decision like any person's medical decision on something that is nagging them. He and the medical staff will make a joint decision based on what the evaluations show and how Jake feels. We all have that family member who is always putting their two cents in on what is the best thing to do for another family member to do when they are having a symptom of a problem. The only difference with Jake is millions of fans of the Mets and baseball are waiting, watching and wanting the best for him.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Well if Jake shuts down we may have to mash our way to wins for a while. McNeil and Conforto returning should help.

Good idea by Glasnow, the first pitcher injured due to the MLB policy change. All top pitchers do this, including deGrom.

Glasnow went on the injured list with a partially-torn UCL and a strained flexor tendon.

“Do it in the offseason,” Glasnow told reporters of MLB’s crackdown, “give us a chance to adjust to it. But I just threw 80-something, 70-whatever innings, and then you just told me I can’t use anything in the middle of the year? I had to change everything I’d been doing the entire season. Everything, out of the window, I had to start doing something completely new. And then I’m telling you, I truly believe, that’s why I got hurt. Me throwing 100 and being 6′7″ is why I got hurt, but that contributed.”

I get that, but the excuse this year can't be Mets fans go to the Dead Zone and provoke them. Once they come here to talk shit when they don't talk about their hughly under preforming team, means the gloves come off. Not sure what I enjoy more, watching them lose, or see their thread drop off page#1, lol
Both are good points. But it’s been peaceful and enjoyable without their miserable selves. Even THIS post is bringing the attention they seek.

Maybe I’m too old and tired to argue against arrogant stupidity anymore. But hey, slap them a couple of times for me while you give them the smack down lol.

• Love
Regardless of anything else- Jake has a better grasp of his body and the ramifications, short and long term, of any decision.
I dare say, he has more to lose than anyone. I don’t believe he would pitch if he had any doubts at all. He has a monster extension coming soon.
He has at least one more big paycheck contract coming his way, even if it’s a 3-4 year deal at the most at his age. IMO, he should just LeBron the next few starts so that he can make sure that he’s healed, or healthy enough so that he won’t leave early for his third straight start. Mets need him in October and that could help him with his next contract.

Should be the end of Drew Smith in Queens.
Problem is someone would have to replace him. Right now nobody is pitching well in Syracuse. Their team ERA is 6.53. That's not even a respectable dinnertime, much less ERA.

I guess they call up Nick Tropeano, whom they just claimed on waivers, to start a game Friday.

Good idea by Glasnow, the first pitcher injured due to the MLB policy change. All top pitchers do this, including deGrom.

Glasnow went on the injured list with a partially-torn UCL and a strained flexor tendon.

“Do it in the offseason,” Glasnow told reporters of MLB’s crackdown, “give us a chance to adjust to it. But I just threw 80-something, 70-whatever innings, and then you just told me I can’t use anything in the middle of the year? I had to change everything I’d been doing the entire season. Everything, out of the window, I had to start doing something completely new. And then I’m telling you, I truly believe, that’s why I got hurt. Me throwing 100 and being 6′7″ is why I got hurt, but that contributed.”

Ahhhhh- a different attempt to try to shade deGrom indirectly. The two situations completely different at this point. Now, if the MRI comes back with a partially-torn UCL and a strained flexor tendon - Then, you can compare the two. Until then, apples and oranges. As far as I know, Jake's spin rate did not change in his last 2 games compared to earlier this year. Meanwhile- Cole's has and in his last game struck out 4 in 8 innings.

Ahhhhh- a different attempt to try to shade deGrom indirectly. The two situations completely different at this point. Now, if the MRI comes back with a partially-torn UCL and a strained flexor tendon - Then, you can compare the two. Until then, apples and oranges. As far as I know, Jake's spin rate did not change in his last 2 games compared to earlier this year. Meanwhile- Cole's has and in his last game struck out 4 in 8 innings.
Put the d-bag on ignore, and/or don't respond to him. Guy is just a misery on this board and loves to be a dick.

On a different note- the Met's prominate free agents this year-
McCann and Lindor
Both were being knocked pretty badly early this year as major disappointments. I think McCann has come back over the past few weeks to where we would expect but there is also much more expected from Lindor
With 27 games before the AS break- I am curious where many feel he would have to be to start to feel better based on his horrific start.
Currently at .217 34 runs 6 HR 16 RBI - for me if he gets above .230 with 50+ runs 11 HR 30 RBI - then I start to feel really good about the signing.

And speaking of Lindor- I see that Rosario is actually having a heck of a good year over in Cle...does anyone know how he has been in CF?

My final word on this topic until medical information is released.
  1. I neither know nor care what the radio and online people are saying. They are baseball experts (more or less) not medical experts.
  2. If the tests show something, then the team can make an intelligent decision. Can't prescribe a remedy without a diagnosis.
  3. If the tests show nothing but deGrom is still feeling pain, then shut it down until he's completely pain free. Easy call... unless the pain lingers indefinitely. If so, then at some point maybe you take your chances on pitching through it. We are a LONG way from that decision though.
  4. But what if tests show nothing and he says he is pain free? What then? You have absolutely no information on which to base any decision, which is a tough way to make a decision.
  5. Keep in mind that his last three starts have been cut down by three separate maladies. Are they somehow related? Who knows? If it were a recurrence of the same problem, the path forward might be clearer.
  6. In short, I have no idea what to do.
  7. I would never state or infer that a fellow board participant is an idiot, and I do apologize if that's how I came across

He has at least one more big paycheck contract coming his way, even if it’s a 3-4 year deal at the most at his age. IMO, he should just LeBron the next few starts so that he can make sure that he’s healed, or healthy enough so that he won’t leave early for his third straight start. Mets need him in October and that could help him with his next contract.
100% agree with this

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say, deGrom doesn't need Pam, engine oil or hydraulic fluid of any kind to throw 102 mph, lmfao at the dumb asses.

On a different note- the Met's prominate free agents this year-
McCann and Lindor
Both were being knocked pretty badly early this year as major disappointments. I think McCann has come back over the past few weeks to where we would expect but there is also much more expected from Lindor
With 27 games before the AS break- I am curious where many feel he would have to be to start to feel better based on his horrific start.
Currently at .217 34 runs 6 HR 16 RBI - for me if he gets above .230 with 50+ runs 11 HR 30 RBI - then I start to feel really good about the signing.

And speaking of Lindor- I see that Rosario is actually having a heck of a good year over in Cle...does anyone know how he has been in CF?

Rosario finally putting it together. Let's not forget how highly rated/thought of he was. Not everyone is great right away. Anyways primarily SS but has played 18 games in CF. I think that was earlier in the year though and is mainly at SS now. Gimenez was sent to AAA.

McCann and Lindor

Definitely pleased McCann has turned it around a bit as I was a big proponent of his signing (to save the Realmuto cash for other fish).

On Lindor, I'm in wait and see mode as I've said until October. Really all I care about is crunch time - I could care less at the end of the day that he stunk miserably in April, May, etc.

Calm down. This shades Cole, Bauer, et al just the same. Bottom line, it was a stupid policy change in the middle of the season. Many pitchers will get hurt.

Definitely pleased McCann has turned it around a bit as I was a big proponent of his signing (to save the Realmuto cash for other fish).

On Lindor, I'm in wait and see mode as I've said until October. Really all I care about is crunch time - I could care less at the end of the day that he stunk miserably in April, May, etc.
I have never understood why a game in Sept is more important than a game in April. If a team misses the playoffs by 1 game - why does it matter if you had picked up that game in the beginning, middle or end of season.
The real question is how a guy does over the season in critical situations.
Now- if you are using October- as in the playoffs- yes, it is very important but...you have to make the playoffs first. Lindor has had a couple of poor playoffs and one really good one.

Calm down. This shades Cole, Bauer, et al just the same. Bottom line, it was a stupid policy change in the middle of the season. Many pitchers will get hurt.
Not really- you purposely put deGrom into the group. Cole and Bauer have pretty much said they have been using it but except for a video of deGrom touching his belt- no one in baseball ever accused him and I bet if you polled hitters- most would say Cole/Bauer use and most would say they don't think deGrom uses.
And since this all came out- Bauer's numbers have had drastic changes as have Coles. deGrom's just got better.

As for the policy- While I do think most pitchers may have been using something, I do think many altered it drastically over the past couple of years when they first juiced the balls and then this year- made the laces so low. And they went to a super stick that doesn't just help with grip but goes way beyond.
Are they going to get injured because they are now going to try to get the same results without cheating? If so, that is on them.

I have never understood why a game in Sept is more important than a game in April. If a team misses the playoffs by 1 game - why does it matter if you had picked up that game in the beginning, middle or end of season.
Now- if you are using October- as in the playoffs- yes, it is very important but...you have to make the playoffs first. Lindor has had a couple of poor playoffs and one really good one.
Talking October and assuming they make playoffs. Making $341M, I’m hoping for better things at crunch than Wright, but I will believe it when I see it.

Not really- you purposely put deGrom into the group. Cole and Bauer have pretty much said they have been using it but except for a video of deGrom touching his belt- no one in baseball ever accused him and I bet if you polled hitters- most would say Cole/Bauer use and most would say they don't think deGrom uses.
And since this all came out- Bauer's numbers have had drastic changes as have Coles. deGrom's just got better.

As for the policy- While I do think most pitchers may have been using something, I do think many altered it drastically over the past couple of years when they first juiced the balls and then this year- made the laces so low. And they went to a super stick that doesn't just help with grip but goes way beyond.
Are they going to get injured because they are now going to try to get the same results without cheating? If so, that is on them.
DeGrom is in the group. Practically all pitchers are in the group. Why? Because baseball has allowed this for years and years. Actually decades and decades. It's MLB pitching 101.

DeGrom's metrics may not have gone down due to overstressing his throw, resulting in an injury. Glasnow's metrics didn't go down either.

It just is because it’s crunch time . Less season left and less room for error. Kinda like how football games in December feel more important than games in the September.

100% agree. He just can't wrap his mind around the fact that we are watching a modern day Seaver or any other pitching legend you can think of.

Well if Thor listened to this board, he wouldn’t have torn his lat in Washington in 2017, just sayin’.
That Bowl of Doom was actually pretty good. Too bad I’m built more like Fat Thor than The God of Thunder lol.

Not going to the IL. Second doctor had same prognosis as 1st but not sure what's causing the discomfort.

Because games in late in the season you know what you need.

Say it's the final game of the year and you need to win that game to make the playoffs, would you not agree that game is more important then a game in May?

Rosario finally putting it together. . . .
He was finally putting it together for a month or two at then end of 2019 too. Then not so much last year, and certainly not before 2019. Now his numbers are a bit like 2019, maybe a bit off that pace. And he’s still young, but also at an age where many of the really good players are already tearing it up. It’s possible that this is his best, which is fine but not great. I have no idea whether his D has improved at SS. But the Indians tried him in the OF for a reason. He still has a chance to be pretty dark good if he keeps improving his power—he’s got some—and learns to take a pitch. But I wouldn’t say that he’s finally putting it together.

Gimenez? His minors numbers are good but not great. And he’ll be 23 in a few months, and he’s back down in AAA. I always thought Rosario had the bigger offensive upside, but was never blown away by either.

I would think that merely throwing that hard could cause occasional soreness. Especially when repeated multiple times in short order.
So the Mets say that the doctors determined that deGrom’s shoulder was “normal for a pitcher,” which I presume means that it has the normal wear and tear that pitchers get. Otherwise, they likely would have just said “normal.”

I just wonder whether they have the diagnostic tools, MRI or otherwise, to determine that something in the shoulder is about to blow as opposed to either already blown or just normal wear and tear. No idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT