ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2021 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because games in late in the season you know what you need.

Say it's the final game of the year and you need to win that game to make the playoffs, would you not agree that game is more important then a game in May?
Ummmm, well, win that game in May and you don’t have to win your final game.

Ummmm, well, win that game in May and you don’t have to win your final game.
Kind of like saying a run in the 4th inning is the same as a run in the 9th with the game tied.

And as an extension, and this was a money ball theory, any reliever can be a closer. Not really, though, pressure is different in the 9th.

Kind of like saying a run in the 4th inning is the same as a run in the 9th with the game tied.

And as an extension, and this was a money ball theory, any reliever can be a closer. Not really, though, pressure is different in the 9th.
Well- again, it is why you press for a big inning early.

I get it, a late run and a late season win are money shots...
But every run and every win has it's purpose and at the end of 162 games- a win in April is just as important

Well- again, it is why you press for a big inning early.

I get it, a late run and a late season win are money shots...
But every run and every win has it's purpose and at the end of 162 games- a win in April is just as important
You press for a big inning early to avoid the pressure situations late. But the big inning early may or may not win a game.

A home run in the bottom of the 9th of a tie game does.

Similar story for games at the end of the season vs early in the season.

Watched from fifth inning on. I see Mets went 0 for 7 with RISP. Must have happened early, because it sure didn't happen late.

Listening to WFAN this morning, and they pissed me off. Basically mocking deGrom, because the tests keep coming back normal, so they think maybe it's in his head! Who's old enough to remember the whole JR Richards fiasco back in 1980? He kept complaining of arm pain, they'd test him, shut him down, he'd come back and say the pain was still there. Writers and front office hinted he was lazy, didn't really love the game, until playing catch before a game, he collapsed from a stroke caused by a blood clot in his forkin pitching arm!!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._Richard

Listening to WFAN this morning, and they pissed me off. Basically mocking deGrom, because the tests keep coming back normal, so they think maybe it's in his head! Who's old enough to remember the whole JR Richards fiasco back in 1980? He kept complaining of arm pain, they'd test him, shut him down, he'd come back and say the pain was still there. Writers and front office hinted he was lazy, didn't really love the game, until playing catch before a game, he collapsed from a stroke caused by a blood clot in his forkin pitching arm!!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._Richard
The same idiots who were saying REST HIM yesterday. It’s one extreme or another for that show. Plus they take shots at the Mets any chance they get.

I still say take a week or two off. But if two docs said DeGrom is fine and if he’s ready to go, good. Just be careful.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
The same idiots who were saying REST HIM yesterday. It’s one extreme or another for that show. Plus they take shots at the Mets any chance they get.

I still say take a week or two off. But if two docs said DeGrom is fine and if he’s ready to go, good. Just be careful.
I'm of the camp that he needs to be shut down for 2 or 3 starts. If something happens bad after that, then it was God's will and not the Mets being greedy or putting the player 2nd.

The thing is though, absent any clinical evidence, the doctors are flying blind here. They don't know:
  • Whether any rest is needed.
  • On the other end of the spectrum, whether rest will even help at all.
  • If it does help, how much rest is optimal.
  • Whether pitching through the pain is OK, or will it make it worse.
In short, they're guessing. But at least theirs is an educated guess. Whereas the rest of us are pulling guesses out of our butts.

My guess, extracted directly from my butt, is that the doctors will lay all this out to deGrom and he will make the decision. And that decision will be "Give me the ball."

This next stretch against the NL East could be the season. Win these series and we will have some nice breathing room heading into the second half.

Reactions: tico brown
Crazy that in deGrom's last 2 starts where he was pulled for discomfort, he pitched 9 innings, 1 hit, 0 BB and 18k

His last 4 games which is 22 innings is 6 hits 1 BB and 37k 0 ER

Only 2 ER's this year were not due to a HR. These guys should just be closing their eyes and swinging as hard as they can.

Actually- If he is healthy, if I am the other team- I have my first 9 guys bunt on him.

Reactions: Greg2020
Ok ok ok , I apologize , I’d rather have a frustrating guy hitting .280 and another wild swinger batting .295 then Good guys who hustle their but off batting 220

Shut out for 2 straight games now. With 4 hits in 18 innings. Btw I don't agree with bringing Duaz in for the 9th. Lugo has only faced one batter and why not save Diaz for a save situation.
Agree. In that situation, you save your closer for the 10th. Either it's a save situation, or it's do or die with the free runner on second and you want your best guy in there for that.

Reactions: Greg2020
Tico, at least the one in Camden will be used by Rutgers and youth sports in Camden. I hope that site in Newark is built and provides some jobs in the near future and doesn’t become like that project in Asbury Park that sat half finished for twenty years.

When do McNeil and Conforto return? I think the bench mob have had their 15 minutes.
Shame these last 2 games. Score several runs and 2 more wins! Ugh.
McNeil played seven innings tonight for Syracuse. He'll be brought up after he plays nine innings back to back, with no ill effects the third day. Figure sometime next week.

Conforto did not play tonight. Hopefully this was a scheduled thing and not a setback.

Tico, at least the one in Camden will be used by Rutgers and youth sports in Camden. I hope that site in Newark is built and provides some jobs in the near future and doesn’t become like that project in Asbury Park that sat half finished for twenty years.
That is true. I saw the track and the baseball field taking shape as I rode the speedline on the Ben Franklin. Hopefully they’ll add some bleachers for fans to watch some D3 when Rowan, Kean or Willie P come to town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT