ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports OT: Official 2024 Summer Olympics Thread (with LIVE UPDATES)

AreYouNUTS

Legend
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Hello to all who want to talk the EVENTS and THE ATHLETES. NOTHING ELSE. Thanks!

(yes, this includes all the "fun stuff" as well...just NO POLITICS....thank you!!! :WooHoo::WooHoo::WooHoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
What a GREAT ending in the Women's Team Epee Bronze Medal match! Poland v China, down to the last 1v1, 31-31 as time is running down, and Poland gets the "touch" to win their 1st medial ever in the sport! The chick broke down in FANTASTIC fashion! Good for you, POLSKA!!

Why did Austialia kick from the side and we kicked right in front?

Rugby is probably the most popular sport that I have no idea of the rules.
(This would probably be a good thread idea. Everyone knows the major sports rules and gameplay)

Reactions: RUStriker
Why did Austialia kick from the side and we kicked right in front?

Rugby is probably the most popular sport that I have no idea of the rules.
(This would probably be a good thread idea. Everyone knows the major sports rules and gameplay)
I had explained this in the other thread but here we go:

When you score (see: touch ball to ground with control) after crossing the end line, if you're outside the goal posts you kick from either side, but inside the posts you kick straight on. Big, big, big difference, especially in the women's game, as you could guess. That's why you'll see a lot of "7-5, 12-10,etc...." type scores (a score is 5 points; kick is 2).

Last edited:
Reactions: NickRU714
One of the better - if not BEST - stories of this year's Olympics: USA's Suni Lee. If you didn't know what happened over the last 3 years, to the then-teen-now-adult who won the women's all-around GOLD in Japan ('21), this is a MUST watch. WOW!

(YOU HAVE TO GOOGLE "SUNI LEE STORY OLYMPICS NBC and watch on YouTube, apparently....):

Last edited:
Amazing comeback at the end to win, although I'm still wondering why Australia didn't deploy the rugby version of the prevent defense at the end with so little time left.

• Haha
Reactions: AreYouNUTS

images

If you didn't see the whole video you would think thats a doctored photo, pretty crazy.

The womens Rugby finish was epic! Not knowing how rugby works, i thought they were done thinking no way anyone can run to the goal with only 2-3 seconds left. The Aussies were devastated.

yes sir...vs Morocco Friday...1st time since 2000 that we made it to elimination play.
It’s good to see .
I am someone who doesn’t really follow soccer except for these big events. I assume the countries participating in the Olympics is not the same as the World Cup ?? So it’s a little easier path for the USA ?

still would be great to medal and build some cofidence for 26.

It’s good to see .
I am someone who doesn’t really follow soccer except for these big events. I assume the countries participating in the Olympics is not the same as the World Cup ?? So it’s a little easier path for the USA ?

still would be great to medal and build some cofidence for 26.
IIRC, the teams are U23 (so nobody's gonna be older than 23) except that each team is allowed a limited number of older players. So the teams are not the same as the actual national teams for any country.

The performance of the US Olympic team is, therefore, not necessarily indicative of how the USMNT will perform. But it is always a good sign when the younger teams are doing well.

IIRC, the teams are U23 (so nobody's gonna be older than 23) except that each team is allowed a limited number of older players. So the teams are not the same as the actual national teams for any country.

The performance of the US Olympic team is, therefore, not necessarily indicative of how the USMNT will perform. But it is always a good sign when the younger teams are doing well.
Are they the best U23's? or are the best guys playing on their pro teams?

I don't know. I mean, obviously the intent is likely to be to have the best guys on the team. But it also seems very likely there are complicating factors to actually achieving that goal (no pun intended).

The same applies to the USMNT.

Reactions: RU-05
I don't know. I mean, obviously the intent is likely to be to have the best guys on the team. But it also seems very likely there are complicating factors to actually achieving that goal (no pun intended).

The same applies to the USMNT.

At times it really seems like politics (i.e., who you know, who you're in favor with, etc.) plays more of a role than talent.

They are generally among the best U-23s not already playing on their senior national teams. I think the lack of overlap of U-23s and senior squads is the Euros and Copa tournaments just concluded. It would have been too physically and mentally demanding for players to compete in both tourneys - and because it would cause heartburn for the players’ club teams.

Three additional overage players are included to allow teams to round out their lineups.

Reactions: RU-05 and Zak57
One more thought on the US team - there are more than a few Olympics’ team players who will compete for roster spots for the 2026 and 2030 World Cups, as well as Gold Cup and Nations League.

Reactions: Zak57
GREAT stuff right now:

Men's Gymnastics - All-Around Final
Women's Soccer - USA v Australia
Women's Water Polo - USA v Italy

Ledecky just jumped in to start the 1500m free if anyone wants to tune in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT