ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports OT: Official 2024 Summer Olympics Thread (with LIVE UPDATES)

Given how the 3rd set went and the beginning of the 4th, this would be a really tough loss if we don’t turn it around quickly.

Not feeling good about this one right now...this group has CONSTANTLY come up short.

OMG what a STUPID play by Anderson.....instead of 9-8 it's now 10-7....big, big, BIG trouble.

This is looking like an epic choke job. They had them dead to rights and let them right back in it.

Reactions: runner3283
To the discussion regarding golf and tennis as olympic sports and one's interest in each.

Those sports are not my greatest interest, and I think for me those sports, similar to volleyball, suffer from the long duration of the games and then tournament overall.

I'm putting in a couple hours here today and I'm not even getting a medal out of it?

Frick Poland wins. Great game though.

Team USA blows it thx to 2 awful plays by Anderson (going into the net then blowing a dink) at crucial points. Will play for Bronze YET AGAIN this year.

2012 - NADA
2016 - BRONZE
2020 -NADA
2024 - bronze or nada

WOMAN vs Brazil tomorrow at 10AM in the semis.

USA v Australia M Water Polo about to begin!!!

*** Greece, the other #1 seed, blows it late to Serbia in the opening quarter (dammit....)

GREAT job brining the Japanese and U.S. figure skaters - who were FINALLY awarded Gold/Bronze (1 Russian skater was DQ's for doping) - to Paris and put on a full ceremony for them with medal presentations, et al!!!

I'll say this: Paris has done a FANTASTIC job hosting these Games. Right now I'd say a B+++ with only some controversial OC stuff and the dirty river keeping it from a very, very solid "A" thus far (but still likely to grade out by post-closing ceremonies. We shall see!!!).
Agreed on the figure skaters and for my money, this has been the best run Olympics I can recall (the Seine is the only negative I can think of), plus it has the most beautiful city in the world as a backdrop (and I loved the OC), so A+ for me.

Dear Lord....down 2-1 Team USA ties it BUT loses a goal AND gets a 4-Minute penalty....Aussies up 3-1 after penalty shot AND gets 4-minutes a "man up."

Dear Lord....down 2-1 Team USA ties it BUT loses a goal AND gets a 4-Minute penalty....Aussies up 3-1 after penalty shot AND gets 4-minutes a "man up."
Jesus, did he pull out a shiv and stab him in the pool?

Once down 5-2, after the 4-minute penalty, USA has tied it 5-5 into the 4th!

Last edited:
WEIGHTLIFTING (M) - For the 1st time since 1984 (silver, Mario Martinez) TEAM USA MEDALS!!!! Congrats to Hampton Morris for landing BRONZE (61KG weight class) at only 20-years old! This kid has some GOLD in bis future!

** UNFORTUNATELY they too are wearing these stupid purple things....SMDH

HOLY SHIT WHAT A WIN BY QUINCY HALL IN THE MEN'S 400M!!!!! GOLD FOR TEAM USA!!! He was - maybe - 4th or 5th coming off the final turn!! I don't know if I've ever seen someone run the final 100 like he just did....his ENTIRE BODY - head included - willed him to that finish!!! Arguably BETTER than the 1500M final!!!

HOLY SHIT WHAT A WIN BY QUINCY HALL IN THE MEN'S 400M!!!!! GOLD FOR TEAM USA!!! He was - maybe - 4th or 5th coming off the final turn!! I don't know if I've ever seen someone run the final 100 like he just did....his ENTIRE BODY - head included - willed him to that finish!!! Arguably BETTER than the 1500M final!!!
He looked completely spent. I can't comprehend how he won

Reactions: Scarlet4ever
Did I hear correctly that there was a Cuban wrestler who just won his 5th gold medal?

Pretty much the most subdued wrestling match I ever saw.
Maybe because they are big they just sort of go at each other like a couple of hippos pushing around

Men's Beach VB on LIVE NBC right NOW.....vs Qatar....the ONLY USA team remaining (M or W). LET'S GOOOO!

Pretty much the most subdued wrestling match I ever saw.
Maybe because they are big they just sort of go at each other like a couple of hippos pushing around

Greco is tough to watch. They can’t touch each others legs, it’s a lot of hand fighting, and working for head position. The rules for greco and freestyle now dictate that if you step out, your opponent gets a point. As a result (and it kills me to say this), greco looks like a mash up of folk style and summo. Lots of pushing and at that level, opponents are evenly matched, so they are less likley to hit big moves (the exciting stuff).

I was at the US trials and the men’s and women’s freestyle matches were more exciting if you like folk style (high school and NCAA). An interesting side note… To me, it looked like the US armed forces are investing in greco training. Many of the guys competing at the trials were actively serving in the military.

Fun fact, the flying squirrel is on the U.S. Greco team!

Last edited:
Reactions: ashokan
I guess the world has really caught up to us in beach volleyball. How is Qatar this good?

I wonder if there’s ever been an Olympics where all US teams were eliminated before the medal round.

Team USA with ZERO (of 4) Men's or Women's teams into the Beach Volleyball Semi-Finals. Men's Indoor VB CHOKE in the semis vs Poland (play for Bronze; likely lose). Sorry, but, this is unacceptable. HEADS MUST ROLL!!!

*** Women's Indoor remain; semis v Brazil @ 10AM EST

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT