ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports OT: Official 2024 Summer Olympics Thread (with LIVE UPDATES)

Let me just throw this out there:

I am NOT a fan of the Team USA's purple-ish track uniforms that some are wearing. Our colors are RED, WHITE AND BLUE - PERIOD - so what the ****? Same with Spain wearing ORANGE?

Indoor Cycling has begun...I actually LOVE this sport....it's kinda like short-track speed skating: fast, action-packed, boom-boom-boom!!!

Boxing - only ONE Team USA Boxer made it to the medal round. Congrats to Amari Jones BUT an awful showing. Maybe it's these RIDICULOUS NOT red/white/blue uniforms we're wearing (more like pink/purple). WHAT THE ACTUAL ****? Anyway Jones earns a Bronze. CONGRATS!!!

Men's Freestyle Wrestling
- begins tomorrow

Canoe and Kayak Sprints (flat water) - we're not very good BUT love watching these events!

Beach Volleyball - Men's Quarters are only team left, either sex, 4PM EST Banesh/Partain let's gooooo boyz!!!

Volleyball - MEN vs Poland Semis today @ 10AM EST

Last edited:
Let me just throw this out there:

I am NOT a fan of the Team USA's purple-ish track uniforms that some are wearing. Our colors are RED, WHITE AND BLUE - PERIOD - so what the ****? Same with Spain wearing ORANGE?
its a mesh of red, white and blue. What i don't like are the track teams sweatsuits with the bedazzled look. My god they are hideous! Look like they are velour too.

its a mesh of red, white and blue. What i don't like are the track teams sweatsuits with the bedazzled look. My god they are hideous! Look like they are velour too.
I don't know man...looks like pink and violet to me....all about "merchandise sales" SMDH.

Did I hear correctly that there was a Cuban wrestler who just won his 5th gold medal?
Left his shoes on the mat, indicating this was his last go of it.

In the gold medal match beat a guy representing Chile who is actually Cuban, who decided to go to Chile because he was being blocked by the dominance of Lopez.

Reactions: tom1944
lol...has nothing to do with Snoop.....these games have been FANTASTIC and the time difference makes for A LOT of live events all morning, afternoon and even early evening.
I wouldn't say nothing to do with Snoop.

The games have been awesome, but Snoop is probably a draw of some sorts. Maybe he's been a bit of a hook, drawing some in, who then stay on once they get in on the action.

Not looking to make a debate of this, as I'm generally on the same side as you in terms of enjoying these games, and very little of why I enjoy it is because of Snoop, but still think he has had some effect.

Anyways, men's 1500M was awesome. Caught it last night on the prime time replay. Thought it odd when in the intro, they showed Hocker and not Nuguse.

Still kind of odd they didn't show Nuguse given he medal'd as well. But just a great race that flipped a prerace script that did seem to be going according to plan...until the end when a whole new story came to light.

The games have been awesome, but Snoop is probably a draw of some sorts. Maybe he's been a bit of a hook, drawing some in, who then stay on once they get in on the action.

Not looking to make a debate of this, as I'm generally on the same side as you in terms of enjoying these games, and very little of why I enjoy it is because of Snoop, but still think he has had some effect.
I mean NBC and Snoops are going to claim he made a difference, NO question, BUT...

....how many people are actually following his twitter to see what events he'll be at (you can pretty much predict them...) in the hopes of seeing him for a flash here or there? I dunno, I guess there are a few people here-and-there who would but I honestly do not believe HE is providing a noticeable effect on the ratings.

Men's Water Polo - BIG news for Team USA as Croatia upsets Spain (5-0 in qualifying round) in the quarters!!!

I mean NBC and Snoops are going to claim he made a difference, NO question, BUT...

....how many people are actually following his twitter to see what events he'll be at (you can pretty much predict them...) in the hopes of seeing him for a flash here or there? I dunno, I guess there are a few people here-and-there who would but I honestly do not believe HE is providing a noticeable effect on the ratings.
I think just the fact that you could see him, or even that he's simply associated with the olympics, does draw people in on the margins.

It's kind of like any sport, where a die hard fan watches the national games, and thinks, why do they need all this pomp? Super Bowl probably being the best example. I could care less about the half time, or the commercials, but for some, it's a big part of the experience.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Back to the "thong" subject....You might want to check out diving and artistic swimming (see: team synchronized swimming). Not bad at all!

*** NOT the Chinese...they look like little boys, sorry!

Men's Water Polo - BIG news for Team USA as Croatia upsets Spain (5-0 in qualifying round) in the quarters!!!
It's a big upset - but it is also on the other half of the bracket, so it might not make a difference in who we face. Gotta beat the Aussies today for it to mean anything to us.

Croatia 10, Spain 8 - Nuts meant that Spain was 5-0 in their pool play matches.

It's a big upset - but it is also on the other half of the bracket, so it might not make a difference in who we face. Gotta beat the Aussies today for it to mean anything to us.

Croatia 10, Spain 8 - Nuts meant that Spain was 5-0 in their pool play matches.
I would say it could make a difference in the Gold Medal match with them out but, yes, have to start with Australia!

Is anyone watching the France - Germany quarterfinal in handball? Incredibly entertaining game, but if France loses, it'll be the choke job of the century, as they were up 1 goal with the ball and about 15 seconds left and were walking the ball up court and the Germans looked like they had given up (kind of like at the end of a hoops game), but inexplicably, the French coach called TO with 6 seconds left and upon the restart, the French guy at center court threw a soft pass about 8 feet forward that was intercepted and the Germans broke up court with almost no French defense (their guys were all in the German end, presumably waiting for a longer pass after the TO) and scored as the clock hit zero to tie. Tied in OT right now. 28K in the stadium going nuts.

Agreed, Snoop is definitely at least a bit of a draw - he's funny and entertaining and he generally knows his sports. I don't tune in to watch him, but if he's on, I'll watch, while my wife is more likely to watch since he'll be on.

Reactions: RU-05
Is anyone watching the France - Germany quarterfinal in handball? Incredibly entertaining game, but if France loses, it'll be the choke job of the century, as they were up 1 goal with the ball and about 15 seconds left and were walking the ball up court and the Germans looked like they had given up (kind of like at the end of a hoops game), but inexplicably, the French coach called TO with 6 seconds left and upon the restart, the French guy at center court threw a soft pass about 8 feet forward that was intercepted and the Germans broke up court with almost no French defense (their guys were all in the German end, presumably waiting for a longer pass after the TO) and scored as the clock hit zero to tie. Tied in OT right now. 28K in the stadium going nuts.
And Germany wins by 1 in OT, scoring with about 8 seconds left and denying a great French shot at the buzzer. Terrible, terrible blown game by France in regulation.

USA/Poland in a very tight mens volleyball semi-final match. One set apiece, 3rd set just starting.

Watching TKD, kind of lame as seemingly every point goes to replay.

Last edited:
GREAT job brining the Japanese and U.S. figure skaters - who were FINALLY awarded Gold/Bronze (1 Russian skater was DQ's for doping) - to Paris and put on a full ceremony for them with medal presentations, et al!!!

I'll say this: Paris has done a FANTASTIC job hosting these Games. Right now I'd say a B+++ with only some controversial OC stuff and the dirty river keeping it from a very, very solid "A" thus far (but still likely to grade out by post-closing ceremonies. We shall see!!!).

Last edited:
GREAT job brining the Japanese and U.S. figure skaters - who were FINALLY awarded Gold/Bronze (1 Russian skater was DQ's for doping) - to Paris and put on a full ceremony for them with medal presentations, et al!!!

I'll say this: Paris has done a FANTASTIC job hosting these Games. Right now I'd say a B+++ with only some controversial OC stuff and the dirty river keeping it from a very, very solid "A" thus far (but still likely to grade out by post-closing ceremonies. We shall see!!!).
Great job! when Adam Nelson was awarded the gold medal in shot put after the winner was dq'd for a drug test he was given the gold medal in an airport food court

This Matt Anderson is by far the best player on the USA Volleyball team. He just kills everything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT