ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports OT: Official 2024 Summer Olympics Thread (with LIVE UPDATES)

Neaher makes a HUGE save at end of extra time to prevent game going to pk's and sealing 1-0 victory over Germany

I was confused as well. Apparently, Mom was a volleyball player/ heptathlete and Swedish resident, Dad was a pole vaulter and USA resident. They were making the decision of to vault for USA or Sweden. The Swedes intervened, by offering his dad the job of National team pole vault coach.

Kind of like when Seton Hall would offer high school coaches of recruits they wanted to coach on their team. I mean everyone trains here, just like the French swimmer who won all those medals. He trains in Florida with Phelps former coach and barely steps foot in France.

Mondo's older brother also repped Swedish sports teams

"After winning the Jerringpriset as the most popular athlete in Sweden in 2020, Duplantis expressed relief that the Swedish public had accepted and embraced him...During the Tokyo Olympics, he stated that his older brother having great experiences representing Sweden at a youth level and his love for Sweden as a child made the decision to play for Sweden very easy, "

It was the mother doing the prodding

"While growing up in an English-speaking household, Duplantis learned adequate Swedish as his second language.[9] Encouraged by his mother, Duplantis took extensive lessons over Skype in order to improve his fluency ... In the past, Duplantis has lamented that improving his Swedish has been somewhat hampered by the high level of English skills in Sweden, which has led to native speakers preferring to speak English when talking with him."

Women’s 200 - Gabby Thomas goes GOLD!!! Brown takes Bronze! 1st medals in 12-years for Team USA in this event.

Women’s Water Polo - USA beats Hungary, 5–4 in the quarterfinals! Phenomenal match!

Last edited:
Reactions: 93RUDoc and pele78
Yeah my old Man is straight off the boat Italy…I spent summers in Rome and Sicily…used to speak almost fluent Italian…and if I had any serious athletic ability I’m still repping the U.S. of A! But whatever to each their own.
is that true if by repping Italy, you could earn 7 figures a year and your Dad gets to earn 6 figures...but if you rep USA- you both get nada- keeping in mind this is the new world where HS kids are signing 8 figure deals.

Reactions: MADHAT1
USA gets GOLD in women’s Greco Roman wrestling heavyweight division! The youngest woman ever took metal, I believe is what I heard, only 20 years of age!

Reactions: 93RUDoc
Major Olympic news...

OIF.EkJ3Hm3nuyFDzuxpve6A9Q

Luana-Alonso-4-768x956.jpg

(don't really care much about the story but thought pics were important)

Neaher makes a HUGE save at end of extra time to prevent game going to pk's and sealing 1-0 victory over Germany
Cannot believe no offside flag went up on that play. Absolutely crazy save by Neaher.

Edit: just saw a super slow replay, flag was correct to stay down.

Team USA is OUT of women’s Beach volleyball after Hughes and Chang, the defending world champs, get beat in the quarterfinals. Awful.

Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone from dunellen nj can run!
She would likely be on the podium in the 400 too … and her 200 times are nothing to ignore (and that’s without training). She has at least 2 more Olympics in front of her as well if she stays the course. Enjoy the ride!

Reactions: newell138
The 1500 final was epic and one of the biggest upsets in track history. Huge congrats to Hocker on an amazing kick US takes gold and. Bronze.
One of the greatest races by US distance runners since Billy Mills won the 10k in 1964. US gets 1,3 and 5!! Kenya shut out of top 5. The 2 favorites get 2nd and 4th

Paris ratings high....some crediting Snopp Dogg more than Biles

Amit Elor (women’s freestyle wrestling) gold for USA. The US freestyle teams for women and men are really good.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Paris ratings high....some crediting Snopp Dogg more than Biles

lol...has nothing to do with Snoop.....these games have been FANTASTIC and the time difference makes for A LOT of live events all morning, afternoon and even early evening.

Last edited:
Funny:

U.S. "House" - boring as **** when the cameras are showing it during gold medal events (kinda surprising...)
Dutch "House" - DJ and light/pyrotechnic shows going nuts (NOT shocking in the least....)

...."houses" are where the athletes and their families hang when not training/competing/etc

thx for the correction
I didn’t see that you had posted it earlier. The women’s heavyweight is Kennedy Blades. For those of us of a certain age, there was a 1980s ad that looked like the pic below with the caption: “Wimps Need Not Apply.” This was Blades at the U.S. trials…

Reactions: koleszar
lol...has nothing to do with Snoop.....these games have been FANTASTIC and the time difference makes for A LOT of live events all morning, afternoon and even early evening.

He's getting paid so much NBC will put a big shine on him

Reactions: ashokan
"Hobbs Kessler wants in on the conversation!"

The announcers for the Olympics are so much better than the usual cliches in US.
I haven't seen one bimbo question being asked
I could watch the Tour de France just for the coverage and Olympics are in the same space
Kessler should be feeling pretty confident going into the 800. He’s only 21 and has run 1:43

Reactions: pele78 and ashokan
Kessler might run again in relays.
She has a lot of charisma in interviews
She's a specimen for sure.

I like how a lot of the competitors know each other and carry-on as friends.
I remember when free world vs communist bloc made for high tension
That was cool in its way but I like the congenial vibe.
Maybe because they all know each other from www. and camps.
Interviews after race..

Gabby Thomas gets her long-awaited gold medal in women’s 200m​

The 1500 final was epic and one of the biggest upsets in track history. Huge congrats to Hocker on an amazing kick US takes gold and. Bronze.

That was awesome - made even better by the rivalry/trash-talking between the Norwegian and British runners.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the women’s 400 hurdles and 200 races. Also liked the steeplechase.

I would assume they are paying his dad quite well and he is getting lots of endorsements. What is he competing against in Sweden? They love winter sports but they also love track.

It is Duplantis’s personality, as well as his jumping skill, that has made him popular in Sweden, Karlsson said. In a newspaper poll of 1,500 Swedes last year, he won in a landslide as the country’s most popular athlete, defeating the soccer star Zlatan Ibrahimovic and the three-time Olympic champion cross-country skier Charlotte Kalla.
Ibrahimovic? Good Swedish name.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT