ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports OT: Official 2024 Summer Olympics Thread (with LIVE UPDATES)

Camera dude has NO shame...pretty much just went right up the crotches of Hughes and Cheng from behind, lol!

Hughes/Cheng on to the quarters!!! Kloth/Nuss plays Canada in the Round of 16 tomorrow (as do BOTH men's teams).

Other Medals today:

M Archery - Brady Ellison SILVER
W Skeet Shooting - Austen Smith BRONZE

....so 10 more medals today with 4 more GOLD!

Men’s 100m final Noah Lyles golden with the photo finish by 0.005 seconds.

I think in the finals (vs heats) we see more of the finish line mechanics. Lyles seemed a little more polished with his lean and head push. The top runners don't do much of that in heats.

Crazy to be reminded of how fast Bolt was - dude not only didn't lean but he seemed to let-up early

Reactions: RC1991
Men's Boxing - from what I can tell, through 3 weight class finals, we have ZERO medals (3rd and 4th get Bronze). Looks like we have at least 1 medal secured BUT....honestly.....the Olympic website SUCKS balls. I'm obviously not an internet novice - and I'm also sober right now - but I stated this at the beginning of the games as well: this site is NOT "user friendly" IMHO.

So if anyone else can figure out how many of our boxers are left (feather, fly, welter and super heavy left) please help me out LOL!! From what I can see only 1 (automatic medal).

Volleyball (indoor)

Men v Brazil - quarters tomorrow
Women v Poland - quarters Tuesday

Water Polo

Women v Hungary - Tuesday (Quarters) ...we are 3-time defending champs

Men - vs Croatia final group play match (a W and loss by Greece (v Italy) should move into 3rd and a better draw in the quarters. A loss and I believe still make the quarters but tougher opponent; Montenegro 4 points behind us so we're clear)

Men's Boxing - from what I can tell, through 3 weight class finals, we have ZERO medals (3rd and 4th get Bronze). Looks like we have at least 1 medal secured BUT....honestly.....the Olympic website SUCKS balls. I'm obviously not an internet novice - and I'm also sober right now - but I stated this at the beginning of the games as well: this site is NOT "user friendly" IMHO.

So if anyone else can figure out how many of our boxers are left (feather, fly, welter and super heavy left) please help me out LOL!! From what I can see only 1 (automatic medal).
It’s crazy how things have changed with how much boxing they show on TV. The first Olympics I remember watching in 1976 had it front and center. Granted we had great boxers who became successful pros.

Reactions: mdk01
It’s crazy how things have changed with how much boxing they show on TV. The first Olympics I remember watching in 1976 had it front and center. Granted we had great boxers who became successful pros.
I believe boxing is on Peacock Streaming exclusively??

Reading some about the triathletes and interviews about swimming in the Seine. Apparently two athletes have E-Coli, while others don't even want to know what was touching them as they swam. Swimming in a filthy canal might not have been the best choice of venue France.

Reactions: pele78 and ashokan
Reading some about the triathletes and interviews about swimming in the Seine. Apparently two athletes have E-Coli, while others don't even want to know what was touching them as they swam. Swimming in a filthy canal might not have been the best choice of venue France.
Agree. These Olympics have been entertaining and well run for the most part but that was a bad idea.

They spent $1.5B on cleanup efforts for the Seine too. What an absolute waste. And how did they not have a plan B? They just cancelled the events where the testing wasn’t good enough (which now looks like even the good tests weren’t so good).

Last edited:
Reactions: koleszar and RUPete
Agree. These Olympics have been entertaining and well run for the most part but that was a bad idea.

They spent $1.5M on cleanup efforts for the Seine too. What an absolute waste. And how did they not have a plan B? They just cancelled the events where the testing wasn’t good enough (which now looks like even the good tests weren’t so good).

.....should've done these events in Tahiti with the surfing or Marseilles with Yachting. Such an EASY decision to have been made IMHO!

...or....maybe have moved it to the END of The Games instead of immediately after the parade of nations lol!

Last edited:
Reactions: RUPete

My experience with the Hudson has been that heavy rains, snow melts, hurricane surges etc send the river water back into pipes and sewers long forgotten. Victorian homes and factories etc would empty into river. After heavy waters is when the water are most dangerous . I was really surprised Paris even tried what they did (which included 1.5 billion treatment system) .

My experience with the Hudson has been that heavy rains, snow melts, hurricane surges etc send the river water back into pipes and sewers long forgotten. Victorian homes and factories etc would empty into river. After heavy waters is when the water are most dangerous . I was really surprised Paris even tried what they did (which included 1.5 billion treatment system) .
...or, like I added above, WHY immediately after HOW MANY river boats with 1000's of athletes, plus everything else, went down it during the Opening Ceremonies? Just freakin' stupid!

Reactions: RUPete
They spent $1.5B on cleanup efforts for the Seine too. What an absolute waste. And how did they not have a plan B? They just cancelled the events where the testing wasn’t good enough (which now looks like even the good tests weren’t so good).

I don’t disagree with your post, but the cleanup efforts will provide decades of benefits from improved water quality.

Reactions: MADHAT1
...or, like I added above, WHY immediately after HOW MANY river boats with 1000's of athletes, plus everything else, went down it during the Opening Ceremonies? Just freakin' stupid!
That’s a great point. Once they made the decision to have the opening ceremony run through there, running the triathlon through there should have been off the table.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
So many great performances by so many great athletes. A few of my faves from the past day or two.

• Loved seeing the US cyclist win gold stunning everyone
  • Almost the same thing for the Swedish table tennis player over the heavily favored Chinese players (he lost in a thriller to the heavy favorite, but won silver).
  • The Djokovic-Alcaraz match was scintillating and you could see how much it meant to Novak to finally win gold for Serbia.
  • And how about that gold in the men's 100m to Lyles in the photo finish?
  • Also, the goal by Rodman for the US win over Japan in OT was fantastic.
  • And the gold/silver combo in the shot put by the huge US mountain men!

Reactions: thegock and 93RUDoc
Maybe it’s the beautiful Parisian backdrops, but I’m enjoying this Olympics more than in recent cycles.
Paris is my favorite place I've ever been on this planet and if my wife liked sports we'd be there now, lol - hoping to go back in the spring. The use of the city in the various outdoor sports has been superb.

Sooo…. They’re going back into the river tomorrow for the “mixed medley triathlon.”
Guess they’ll be getting some kind of shots after the race lol!

Reactions: koleszar
Women's 3 v 3 - stunningly, after a dreadful 0-3 start, the U.S. Women have won 5-straight (including 2 straight over China to end preliminary play and then in the play-in) and face Spain in the semis on tomorrow.

Men's 3 v 3 - ooooof....finished 2-5 losing to The Dutch 21-6 in the pool play finale. Poland, who beat the USA - SERIOUSLY - advance to the elimination round at 2-5 instead of us. Now...we were missing 1 of our guys, and I believe you only have 4 on the roaster, BUT SERIOUSLY??? 21-6 after a 4-4 start to the game? SMDH
*** our men were ranked #2 in the world, behind only Serbia, coming into The Games.

Ukraine: 2 gold 2 silver 3 bronze 7
Russia: 0 gold 0 silver 0 bronze 0

Slava Ukraini

Interesting point. I saw the 2 Russian athletes win the Silver (under AIN - Neutral Athletes) in the Women's Doubles in Tennis. I haven't noticed any others playing under that designation, but may have missed it.

Great to see Simone Biles with 7 Gold Medals after a difficult time in her life.
Simon has had some tough times personally, in the past, but did you not see Suni Lee's story? Not 1 but 2 different types of rare kidney disease since she won the Gold in 2021, after arriving at Auburn, putting on 45 lbs in 2 weeks and not knowing if she was going to survive let alone ever see a gymnasium again:

Men's Beach Volleyball - 1st USA team beats Italy 2-0
Women's Beach Volleyball -the team with a 5'6" chick from LSU loses 2-0 to Canada. Tough one. Hughes/Chang have already advanced.

(sorry, a little busy this morning....missed a lot)

Men's Water Polo beats Croatia 14-11 to move to. the quarters vs Australia. Winner takes on Greece/Serbia winner in the semis.

Last edited:
Interesting point. I saw the 2 Russian athletes win the Silver (under AIN - Neutral Athletes) in the Women's Doubles in Tennis. I haven't noticed any others playing under that designation, but may have missed it.

I believe there are only 7 or so Russian athletes at the games under that designation. Not having the Russians there has been a huge benefit to the rest of the world in sports like gymnastics and swimming.

Reactions: Section124
I believe there are only 7 or so Russian athletes at the games under that designation. Not having the Russians there has been a huge benefit to the rest of the world in sports like gymnastics and swimming.
I don’t believe the Russians have been that good in gymnastics or swimming in the recent past. I got to look it up, but if memory serves me correctly, they haven’t been a big factor.

WOMEN'S GYMNASTICS EVENT FINAL - Oooof…..Biles and Lee BOTH fall off beam to end these games on a bit of a “thud” so-to-speak.

Team Synchronized Swimming - okay...just happened upon this and, while it's definitely not something I'm gonna tune into anymore....WOW....these chicks are essentially underwater the entire time, legs above water, matching move-for-move with one another "blind." Crazy shit when you think about it!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT