ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports OT: Official 2024 Summer Olympics Thread (with LIVE UPDATES)

Valarie Allman won her second consecutive gold in women's discus. Won by just under 2 meters with a 69.50 throw 4 throws over 68m all would have won the comp.

I like her and I'm glad she won. She has amazing technique - probably best all time. But I still have questions about all the muscle girls I'm seeing in the games. Too many girls built like Stallone in Rambo. Size aside, the vascularity is bigger giveaway

c7kavEn.jpeg

I think in the finals (vs heats) we see more of the finish line mechanics. Lyles seemed a little more polished with his lean and head push. The top runners don't do much of that in heats.

Crazy to be reminded of how fast Bolt was - dude not only didn't lean but he seemed to let-up early

Lyles mentioned his lean

After the results were announced, a stunned but delighted Lyles took off for a run around the track clutching the Stars and Stripes. Speaking to reporters afterward, he said of Thompson: "He was in lane four, I was in lane seven, so I couldn't really see what was happening. I continued to run like I would win it. Something told me: 'I need to lean.' It is that type of race. It was crazy."

Sooo…. They’re going back into the river tomorrow for the “mixed medley triathlon.”
Guess they’ll be getting some kind of shots after the race lol!
Was watching some of it out of curiosity. That brown water didn't look very inviting, especially knowing what just transpired.

Was watching some of it out of curiosity. That brown water didn't look very inviting, especially knowing what just transpired.
I guess it’s kind of like going to a whorehouse: you pretty much know that odds are pretty good you’re gonna need a needle in your ass afterwards that will cure everything, so what the ****, lol!

• Haha
Reactions: koleszar
I guess it’s kind of like going to a whorehouse: you pretty much know that odds are pretty good you’re gonna need a needle in your ass afterwards that will cure everything, so what the ****, lol!
You go to a WH without a condom? lol sorry- but couldn’t resist

Mondo!!!!!!!!!!
I don’t get Mondo repping Sweden. I read something about Sweden hiring his Dad to coach even though the guy is an American? Mondo grew up in Louisiana, went to LSU, Dad is an American, never spoke Swedish until he took lessons a few years ago…but Mom is Swedish. I’m sure he’s killing it with endorsements- however would he have made even more $ if he set the world record wearing red, white, and blue?

You go to a WH without a condom? lol sorry- but couldn’t resist

Not following the conversation, thought, WH= White House. 😏

On X (and this is the total extent of my following the Olympics):

Just joking with Nuts- not WhiteHouse lol or maybe it is hmmmmmm

I don’t get Mondo repping Sweden. I read something about Sweden hiring his Dad to coach even though the guy is an American? Mondo grew up in Louisiana, went to LSU, Dad is an American, never spoke Swedish until he took lessons a few years ago…but Mom is Swedish. I’m sure he’s killing it with endorsements- however would he have made even more $ if he set the world record wearing red, white, and blue?
Saw a clip they did on him. Mom was Swedish pole vaulter. Had home film of him pole vaulting as a very young kid 3 or 4 maybe. Guess the Swedes got him by agreeing his dad could coach

Oh man that sucks for the Romanian gymnast, she got Steve Harvey'd basically
Both Romanian women got screwed. I thought the girl that finished 5th should have won at least Silver based on performance. Judging always has an element of paying your dues over time.

Initially when asked they said no to Sweden and then they agreed to hire his dad as a coach and that was it.

Initially when asked they said no to Sweden and then they agreed to hire his dad as a coach and that was it.
May be it’s just me or perhaps I’m missing something here but unless Sweden is paying him and his American Dad serious money I suspect he could have achieved Phelps or Biles status in the U.S. simply because he’s so dominant in an extremely difficult sport and will likely continue to set WRs. But I’m sure his Swedish mother is happy…

Reactions: newell138
USA W sweep Poland to move into the volleyball semis!!!

USA v Germany women’s soccer semifinals on live right now. Germany wearing those ridiculous purple uniforms again. So stupid.

I was told he has been making huge money for many years in Sweden that was not available as a pole vaulter in the US.

Who was the last US pole vaulter that made serious advertising dollars?

Track and Field is much more popular in Europe than the USA, so this seems plausible.

Another small, quiet crowd for women’s soccer and this time in the semi finals. Awful game as well thus far. 0-0 at the half and not an exciting 0–0.

Track and Field is much more popular in Europe than the USA, so this seems plausible.
If that’s the case and he’s making more money in Sweden, then may be it’s worth turning his back on the country in which he was born, raised, and trained.

May be it’s just me or perhaps I’m missing something here but unless Sweden is paying him and his American Dad serious money I suspect he could have achieved Phelps or Biles status in the U.S. simply because he’s so dominant in an extremely difficult sport and will likely continue to set WRs. But I’m sure his Swedish mother is happy…

I would assume they are paying his dad quite well and he is getting lots of endorsements. What is he competing against in Sweden? They love winter sports but they also love track.

It is Duplantis’s personality, as well as his jumping skill, that has made him popular in Sweden, Karlsson said. In a newspaper poll of 1,500 Swedes last year, he won in a landslide as the country’s most popular athlete, defeating the soccer star Zlatan Ibrahimovic and the three-time Olympic champion cross-country skier Charlotte Kalla.

Last edited:
The mother made a focused effort to raise Mondo Swede-ish,
The American father once vaulted over 19' so he was no slouch

Reactions: newell138
I would assume they are paying his dad quite well and he is getting lots of endorsements. What is he competing against in Sweden? They love winter sports but they also love track.

It is Duplantis’s personality, as well as his jumping skill, that has made him popular in Sweden, Karlsson said. In a newspaper poll of 1,500 Swedes last year, he won in a landslide as the country’s most popular athlete, defeating the soccer star Zlatan Ibrahimovic and the three-time Olympic champion cross-country skier Charlotte Kalla.
Does Sweden realize he’s half-Swedish and never lived, trained, or competed for the country until they put Pops on the payroll?!

i think "turning his back on the country" is a bit extreme. He wants to get paid, whats wrong w/ that? Is it any different than someone going to work in another country?
I was joking…but do think it’s a bit ridiculous. It would be a totally different story if he was born in Sweden and moved to the U.S. He apparently said “no” to Sweden at first then they offered his Dad a job…it’s a bad look but whatever…he’s an incredible athlete and making $$$ so my opinion means nothing.

Reactions: koleszar
If that’s the case and he’s making more money in Sweden, then may be it’s worth turning his back on the country in which he was born, raised, and trained.
I was confused as well. Apparently, Mom was a volleyball player/ heptathlete and Swedish resident, Dad was a pole vaulter and USA resident. They were making the decision of to vault for USA or Sweden. The Swedes intervened, by offering his dad the job of National team pole vault coach.

Kind of like when Seton Hall would offer high school coaches of recruits they wanted to coach on their team. I mean everyone trains here, just like the French swimmer who won all those medals. He trains in Florida with Phelps former coach and barely steps foot in France.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUAldo
Kind of like when Seton Hall would offer high school coaches of recruits they wanted to coach on their team. I mean everyone trains here, just like the French swimmer who won all those medals. He trains in Florida with Phelps former coach and barely steps foot in France.
as do many of the T&F athletes since so many of them compete for US colleges

he actually spent a lot of summers there growing up
Yeah my old Man is straight off the boat Italy…I spent summers in Rome and Sicily…used to speak almost fluent Italian…and if I had any serious athletic ability I’m still repping the U.S. of A! But whatever to each their own.

This was better than the 1912 1500 meters as the medals won by Americans were silver and bronze.
The winner was not an official member of Great Britain's team.
At that time,"private entrants" were allowed.

People who paid the hefty fare to go to Paris got their money's worth today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT