ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports OT: Official 2024 Summer Olympics Thread (with LIVE UPDATES)

If you didn't care why post something about them.
Maybe their bios made you decide not to care
As for not appealing, could be they just didn't want the hassle and any appeal would be judged after the event they were banned from was over .
Now for the testing > both did not undergo a testosterone examination but were subject to a separate and recognized test, whereby the specifics remain confidential..
Can understand confidentiality, but it seems like there's more to whats happened than meets the eye
from a google search I found this:
"The IOC suspended the IBA in 2019 because of concerns over its finances, governance, ethics, refereeing and judging. Having failed to meet required reforms set out by the IOC, the IBA was stripped of its status as the sport's world governing body in 2023."
Read my earlier post about how some babies are born with both. The parents have to decide which parts to remove. It's easier to remove the male parts. That is why most are female on birth certificate. Doesn't change the chromosomes. And I agree posting bios is not relevant here.

WOW - mixed 4x400 relay heats (2 semis) have begun!! TEAM USA ABSOLUTELY CRUSHES IT!! Wins their semi by 25-meters AND sets OLYMPIC RECORD/WORLD RECORD in the process!!

PACKED stadium (as it will be every day for the next 1.5 weeks)!!

Men's Shot Put coming up! USA's Ryan Krauser goes for his 3rd consecutive GOLD!!!
Shamir Little almost blew it by being out of the zone in the 4x400. HS kids know about that rule not sure what she was thinking. Luckily the official pointed it out to her just in time
Historic medal for Grant Fisher in the 10k!! First time since 1964 for the US in that event which has been dominated by Africans

Reactions: pele78
Well….progress I guess?? Only a single starter from the women’s soccer team refused to put her hand over her heart during the national anthem just now (#8 Lynn Williams). Now, if we can just get the rest of the team to learn the words, SMDH!

USA v Japan quarterfinal just started on USA before what is, finally, what looks to be a huge crowd!

Last edited:
We're just NOT good on the water anymore. Through 10 event FINALS we have exactly ONE medal (which, sadly, is. 1 more than in 2021). Those ahead of us?

Romania (land-locked) - 4
Italy/Greece/Ireland - 2

...4 events to go:

Women's Single Sculls - 4:18AM EST (USA)
Men's Single Sculls - 4:30AM EST
Women's 8 - 4:50AM EST (USA)
Men's 8 - 5:30AM EST (USA)
Well luckily the Men’s 8 came through with a bronze this morning. Two medals for the US in rowing this year. Better than zero in Tokyo. And good to see the Men’s 8 get back on the podium after 3-straight Olympics of nothing.

Reactions: thegock and pele78
USA/Japan women’s soccer going to extra time 0-0. No subs at all yet for the US and they look to be playing slow and tentative.

USA/Japan women’s soccer going to extra time 0-0. No subs at all yet for the US and they look to be playing slow and tentative.
Japan should send the US a thank you card for keeping them in the game with their extremely tentative offensive game today.

Read my earlier post about how some babies are born with both. The parents have to decide which parts to remove. It's easier to remove the male parts. That is why most are female on birth certificate. Doesn't change the chromosomes. And I agree posting bios is not relevant here.
Bios that show the athletes original birth certificate classification are relevant when some are questioning their gender based on a failed test from an organization that had allowed them to compete before..
The president of the International Olympic Committee Thomas Bach said . “We have two boxers who were born as woman , been raised as woman, who have passports as a woman, and who have competed for many years as woman. This is legally the definition of a woman. There was never any doubt about them being a woman.”
Bach noted the goalpost-moving that critics are engaging in, and invited other opinions with something more substantive than online attacks. “What we see now is that some want to own the definition of who is a woman,” he said, “and I can only invite them to come up with a scientific-based new definition of who is a woman. How can somebody, being born, raised, competed, having a passport as a woman, not be considered a woman?”

The rampant misinformation and outright lies on social media have inflamed the story, and Bach attempted to cool the temperature. “We will not take part in a politically motivated … cultural war,” he said. “What is going on in this context, in the social media, with all this hate speech, with this aggression and abuse, and fueled by this agenda, is totally unacceptable.”
-------------------------------
Here's something to think about :
I would sat:The more we find out the more troubling the accusations are and they are being proved false .
( notice how both athletes competed in the IBA before )

>Kremlev also has made additional allegations about the gender of both fighters without providing proof, and people across the world have accepted his word. That's unbelievably frustrating to veteran boxing executives like Boris Van Der Vorst, the Dutch businessman leading World Boxing. Van Der Vorst ran for the presidency of the IBA, only for his candidacy to be inexplicably declared invalid.

People have misidentified Khelif and Lin as men or transgender.

“It’s not very respectful for the boxers who are competing here, to Chinese Taipei and Algeria, to speak about them in these terms. That’s what I’m trying to stress,” Van Der Vorst told The Associated Press.

So much is unclear about the IBA's decision to ban Khelif and Lin last year, particularly since both had competed in IBA events for years without problems.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/bo...troubled-history/ar-AA1oaAGQ?ocid=socialshare

One of what's in the article, showing the IBA isn't trustworthy
>Nearly three dozen nations, including nearly all of the prominent Western boxing teams, have taken the extraordinary step of leaving the IBA to form World Boxing, a new governing body, in a final attempt to keep boxing in the 2028 Olympics.<

Bios that show the athletes original birth certificate classification are relevant when some are questioning their gender based on a failed test from an organization that had allowed them to compete before..
The president of the International Olympic Committee Thomas Bach said . “We have two boxers who were born as woman , been raised as woman, who have passports as a woman, and who have competed for many years as woman. This is legally the definition of a woman. There was never any doubt about them being a woman.”
Bach noted the goalpost-moving that critics are engaging in, and invited other opinions with something more substantive than online attacks. “What we see now is that some want to own the definition of who is a woman,” he said, “and I can only invite them to come up with a scientific-based new definition of who is a woman. How can somebody, being born, raised, competed, having a passport as a woman, not be considered a woman?”

The rampant misinformation and outright lies on social media have inflamed the story, and Bach attempted to cool the temperature. “We will not take part in a politically motivated … cultural war,” he said. “What is going on in this context, in the social media, with all this hate speech, with this aggression and abuse, and fueled by this agenda, is totally unacceptable.”
-------------------------------
Here's something to think about :
I would sat:The more we find out the more troubling the accusations are and they are being proved false .
( notice how both athletes competed in the IBA before )

>Kremlev also has made additional allegations about the gender of both fighters without providing proof, and people across the world have accepted his word. That's unbelievably frustrating to veteran boxing executives like Boris Van Der Vorst, the Dutch businessman leading World Boxing. Van Der Vorst ran for the presidency of the IBA, only for his candidacy to be inexplicably declared invalid.

People have misidentified Khelif and Lin as men or transgender.

“It’s not very respectful for the boxers who are competing here, to Chinese Taipei and Algeria, to speak about them in these terms. That’s what I’m trying to stress,” Van Der Vorst told The Associated Press.

So much is unclear about the IBA's decision to ban Khelif and Lin last year, particularly since both had competed in IBA events for years without problems.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/bo...troubled-history/ar-AA1oaAGQ?ocid=socialshare

>Nearly three dozen nations, including nearly all of the prominent Western boxing teams, have taken the extraordinary step of leaving the IBA to form World Boxing, a new governing body, in a final attempt to keep boxing in the 2028 Olympics.<
I just read that she actually fought at the tournament where she was later ruled ineligible. She beat an undefeated Russian and after the fight the accusation was made and she was disqualified. The Russian fighter was then considered undefeated again.

Last edited:
One of the things that impress me as I watch the games is seeing the competitors interaction with each other after the event.
Many seem to enjoy competing with each other and look like friends congratulating one another.
The spirit of the games are very noticeable when looking at the way athletes represent one country interact with the athletes from other countries competing against them

One of the things that impress me as I watch the games is seeing the competitors interaction with each other after the event.
Many seem to enjoy competing with each other and look like friends congratulating one another.
The spirit of the games are very noticeable when looking at the way athletes represent one country interact with the athletes from other countries competing against them
Agreed. In many sports, US universities are the Olympics feeder system. Often they train together in the US.

Reactions: MADHAT1
2 “oooofs:”

-4 x 400 mixed medley gets chased down by The Dutch after setting WR yesterday. Settle for silver.

- 100M world champ (USA) loses by .15 (3 body lengths) in biggest loss in women’s 100M ever. Takes silver.

USA versus Japan ,soccer ,was very inconsistent today The USA had some great moments but then also has some easy giveaways with bad touches. Yes I'm glad they won of course but they need to do better with keeping posssion of the ball. It was getting close to an uncomfortable shootout with Japan but thank God Rodman came up with a goal.

2 “oooofs:”

-4 x 400 mixed medley gets chased down by The Dutch after setting WR yesterday. Settle for silver.

- 100M world champ (USA) loses by .15 (3 body lengths) in biggest loss in women’s 100M ever. Takes silver.

Femke Bol, the Dutch anchor - beat her prior personal best in relay by almost a second (47.93).
The American anchor who was part of the world record the other day ran faster than she did for the record (49.19 vs 49.45)
US only lost by a few hundredths .
Bol was viral a few months ago for "having a voice like Mickey Mouse."

Femke Bol, the Dutch anchor - beat her prior personal best in relay by almost a second (47.93).
The American anchor who was part of the world record the other day ran faster than she did for the record (49.19 vs 49.45)

Female BOL is the only person with a chance to beat Sidney McLaughlin

Reactions: ashokan
Rowdy Gaines very underrated as an announcer. Great job by him

Yes you can tell he loves the sport (and he had perfect name for it).
He's swimming's Dick Button
He can get excited and juiced without sounding like one of the many people who fake it these days

Last edited:
Reactions: newell138
Great day today. Watching Djokovic/Alcaraz and golf final round on Peacock. Switching to the rest on commercial breaks.

Djokovic takes the first set in a tiebreaker. I am sure Alcaraz will win the next 2 but these 2 are the best in the world. Djoker has to try to steal this one.

USA:

3:07.41 in the semis
3:07.43 (Dutch Gold Medal)
3:07.74 in the finals

....but, YES, she sounds like a mouse LOLOL!!!

IBA finances come from Russia and they moved their operations there. that's why everyone seems to have an issue with them now. You gotta know these athletics governing bodies are all corrupt... including the Olympics itself. None of that means the IBA was incorrect regarding the XY chromosome and what it means to fairness in women's boxing. But at least I'm glad this highlights that transwomen who grew up male and choose to be women in order to adorn themselves with medals and ribbons by beating on women is being proven ridiculous by all this attention to this issue.

Reactions: newell138

Holy cow! Test her for helium huffing.. would that help her run?

Okay great LET'S MOVE ON there's so much more to talk about!!!

WOMEN'S GYMNASTICS - SUNI LEE!!!! Another medal (BRONZE) with 14,8 on The Uneven Bars!!! She was the last competitor, needed a 14.78 going into her routing! She's got Gold(team), Bronze (all-around), Bronze (uneven) and has 1 to go tomorrow on the vault (her and Biles should compete for the Gold).

I was just wondering why in Kayak cross do the men run 4 a breast but the women only 3? I have found that any type of "cross" is a pretty cool event. It's like NASCAR the anticipation of collisions is there.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
What a win by Djokovic. Career slam and Olympic gold. Only the 5th to do it. Beats Alcaraz in 2 sets. Both in tiebreakers. That was such high level tennis. Djoker is truly the goat. Carlos is the future.

KATIE LEDECKY....is now TIED FOR 2ND with 9 GOLD MEDALS....behind only Phelps (23) in OLYMPIC GAMES HISTORY!!!! And...

.....reading her comments in an interview this morning it SEEMS like she really wants to race in front of the home fans, in LA, for the 1st time in her Olympic career!!!

Reactions: Section124
Scottie Scheffler shoots 62 and leads by 1 in the clubhouse. Tommy Fleetwood on 18, 1 back after a bogey on 17. Jon Rahm after leading by 4, falls apart on the back 9. He's on 18 1 stroke back of Hadeki Matsuyama for the Bronze.

Men's Gold - GOLD for Scheff!!! The 1st golfer to ever win Gold coming into The Games ranked #1 in the world!!!

Reactions: knightfan7
Great golf & tennis this morning.

Scheffler wins gold with a scorching final round and no doubt is the POTY. Fleetwood gets silver, & Matsuyama bronze. Disappointing round from Xander.

Djokovic looked 10 years younger today. You could tell he REALLY wanted this. That was some crazy high level tennis. Each player had to hit 3-4 A+ shots to just win a point. No breaks of serve.

Wedgies vs ninjas

R6z8a4X.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 93RUDoc and AntiG
YESTERDAY'S AMAZING 18-MEDAL HAUL (for the life of me I can't find medal #18 BUT think it may have just be a team moving into automatic bronze (minimum) contention??? Anyway:

(1,2) Simone Biles reclaims vault gold, Jade Carey takes bronze​

(3,4) Ryan Crouser, Joe Kovacs finish 1-2 in shot put again (3rd

straight Gold for Crouser!!!)

(5) Katie Ledecky secures historic 9th gold with four-peat in 800m free (see above re: Katie)

(6,7) Vincent Hancock wins skeet gold over student Conner Prince (IIRC Vince's 3rd Gold)

(8) US breaks world record in mixed 4x100m medley final​

(9, 10) Sha'Carri Richardson, Melissa Jefferson make 100m dash podium (Bronze/Silver)

(11) Kate Douglass claims 200m IM silver​

(12) Netherlands snatches gold from US in mixed 4x400m thriller​

(13) Jasmine Moore earns Team USA's first-ever women's triple jump medal (BRONZE....AWESOME!!!)

(14) Stephen Nedoroscik wins pommel horse bronze​

(15, 16) US earns silver, bronze in men's tennis doubles​

(17) US wins first men's eight rowing medal since 2008 (crazy...we DOMINATED this event forever....3 games without a medal....GOLD OR BUST IN LA!!!)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT