ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports OT: Official 2024 Summer Olympics Thread (with LIVE UPDATES)

Women's Wrestling - ANOTHER GOLD!!! Sarah Hildebrant snags another one for TEAM USA!!!

*** 1st time Women get 2 GOLD in same Olympic Wrestling competition!!!

Last edited:
Greco is tough to watch. They can’t touch each others legs, it’s a lot of hand fighting, and working for head position. The rules for greco and freestyle now dictate that if you step out, your opponent gets a point. As a result (and it kills me to say this), greco looks like a mash up of folk style and summo. Lots of pushing and at that level, opponents are evenly matched, so they are less likley to hit big moves (the exciting stuff).

I was at the US trials and the men’s and women’s freestyle matches were more exciting if you like folk style (high school and NCAA). An interesting side note… To me, it looked like the US armed forces are investing in greco training. Many of the guys competing at the trials were actively serving in the military.

Fun fact, the flying squirrel is on the U.S. Greco team!

Thanks that makes sense.
I knew G-R wrestling was different but didn't know it could be so lame to watch.
I don't remember Rulon Gardner or Dan Gable looking so casual

Tell me I'm wrong:

Cross Kayak aka "Bumper Cars on Roaring Rapids" is a damn close 2nd to Table Tennis!!!

The Most Gruesome 4.75 Seconds at the Olympics​

Speed climbing is the fastest sport at the Paris Games. Which is a good thing, since it inflicts a catalog of stomach-churning injuries, including fingernails that get torn clean out of their beds.​

The Mens 100M and 200M have been amazing, Lyles winning by .005 sec after I thought the Jamaican won, then Quincy Hall looking like he's having a seizure the first 150M , then with the most insane 50M kick I have ever seen to win after being in fifth place. ADD Hocker, Rooks and this has been high drama. And Now the relay races, the Jamaicans are out of the 4x100M after a bad exchange so it is ours to lose in the final.

Last edited:

whats been amazing to me is that the Kenyans, Ethiopians, etc are usually the ones outkicking everyone at the end. In the 1500, 10K and steeple the US men have turned the tables on them. Hocker is known as a big kicker so not really a big shock he was able to do what he did, but at the same time anytime an American wins that race its a huge deal. Rooks is a whole other story though! He had no business even being in the finals, he was ranked around 28th in the world prior to this race. The way he took the lead and no one responded for a few seconds was incredible, and then to outkick the field like he did. Reminiscent of Billy Mills in the 1964 10K. Just an incredible performance. I loved his reaction afterwards too, he even surprised himself.

Reactions: pele78
Freestyle Wrestling: Spencer Lee, Aaron Brooks, and Helen Maroulis all won two matches this morning and advanced to the semifinals, which are today at 12:20 pm. Brooks and Lee are unseeded. Brooks beat the #1 seed in his first match by SUP (tech fall). Maroulis won gold in 2016 and bronze in 2020.

I don't know if it will work for others, but this link works for results for me.

Reactions: koleszar
The Mens 100M and 200M have been amazing, Lyles winning by .005 sec after I thought the Jamaican won, then Quincy Hall looking like he's having a seizure the first 150M , then with the most insane 50M kick I have ever seen to win after being in fifth place. ADD Hocker, Rooks and this has been high drama. And Now the relay races, the Jamaicans are out of the 4x100M after a bad exchange so it is ours to lose in the final.
Small nitpick. The 200M final hasn’t happened yet (it will today). Hall won the 400M.

Last edited:
4 x 100

Women - win their heat using their 4 best 100 runners; still take the lead on the final 100

Men - sit out top 2 guys (Lyle and Benarek both running in 200 finals tonight) but cruise to the finals

Women's Shot Put

Raven Sauders (in mask and shades again...) to finals
Chase Jackson - World Champ MISSES finals

Men's 800M Repechage

Brandon Miller win's heat and advances (led start-to-finish)

Women's Heptathlon (after 2 events)

Annie Hall - 3rd
Taliyah Brooks - 6th

Last edited:
Women's Wrestling - ANOTHER GOLD!!! Sarah Hildebrant snags another one for TEAM USA!!!

*** 1st time Women get 2 GOLD in same Olympic Wrestling competition!!!

So i saw the headline that USA won on disqualification of the Indian girl. So wanted to see why she got disqualified... saw that it was due to not meeting weight. I did realize that she faced the Cuban girl instead.

Is this common? Did her team not monitor what she was eating/drinking. Just curious because it seemed she paved the way by taking out the Japanese and Ukrainian ladies who played one of the Bronze Medal Matches in the repechage.

Like seeing golds for the US. And great for Sarah coming from a 6th rank and Bronze at the World Championships to a GOLD in the Olympics!!!

So i saw the headline that USA won on disqualification of the Indian girl. So wanted to see why she got disqualified... saw that it was due to not meeting weight. I did realize that she faced the Cuban girl instead.

Is this common? Did her team not monitor what she was eating/drinking. Just curious because it seemed she paved the way by taking out the Japanese and Ukrainian ladies who played one of the Bronze Medal Matches in the repechage.

Like seeing golds for the US. And great for Sarah coming from a 6th rank and Bronze at the World Championships to a GOLD in the Olympics!!!
Just like high school or college BUT it was the Cuban who moved into the final, NOT Sarah, when the Indian girl failed to make weight.

Freestyle Wrestling: Spencer Lee, Aaron Brooks, and Helen Maroulis all won two matches this morning and advanced to the semifinals, which are today at 12:20 pm. Brooks and Lee are unseeded. Brooks beat the #1 seed in his first match by SUP (tech fall). Maroulis won gold in 2016 and bronze in 2020.

I don't know if it will work for others, but this link works for results for me.
I will say, I bought Peacock so I could watch replays of the matches as I was not getting up at 5am to watch live. It turned out to be a bad purchase. When you fast forward you can't tell where you're at in the telecast. So just to see Brooks wrestle, I had to sit through 12 commercials. I finally gave up after watching one match.

Just like high school or college BUT it was the Cuban who moved into the final, NOT Sarah, when the Indian girl failed to make weight.
Yeah, sorry if i misspoke.......... I knew Sarah was already in the finals..

don't watch much wrestling aside from reading the threads on how Rutgers is doing in finals or high profile games. I guess i never saw someone not making weight. Seems like at the Olympic level, that should not be happening.

I will say, I bought Peacock so I could watch replays of the matches as I was not getting up at 5am to watch live. It turned out to be a bad purchase. When you fast forward you can't tell where you're at in the telecast. So just to see Brooks wrestle, I had to sit through 12 commercials. I finally gave up after watching one match.
Agreed. Peacock has everything which is nice, but finding what you specifically want to see within a given event is brutal. You have to play around with the time stamps, but doing so causes a ton of ads….and each one is like 120 seconds. Paying for the service and then ridiculously long ads??? Very frustrating.

don't watch much wrestling aside from reading the threads on how Rutgers is doing in finals or high profile games. I guess i never saw someone not making weight. Seems like at the Olympic level, that should not be happening.
The problem is the weight class jumps in the Olympics jump so much as there's only 6 weight classes(NCAA/folkstyle 10). I read in India, Phogat wrestles a weight class similar to the NCAA system. She was just too small to go up a weight class, so she decided to cut and the whole tournament she was having trouble. It's the same in the USA, some of the best NCAA wrestlers don't make good freestyle wrestlers simply because of the weight classes. Some guys and gals just get stuck in between.

Reactions: mosito
It's crazy. In the US, if you make the finals and something happens where you can't compete (injured or don't make weight), it's a forfeit and you'd still get a silver medal. The Indian woman was set to meet Hildebrandt in the finals, didn't make weight and they elevated the person in the consolation final into the gold medal match. Effectively taking away the silver. I think its a goofy rule. It could lead to someone getting beat in the semis who then gets a second chance at the match in the finals.

Here is an article about it.

The problem is the weight class jumps in the Olympics jump so much as there's only 6 weight classes(NCAA/folkstyle 10). I read in India, Phogat wrestles a weight class similar to the NCAA system. She was just too small to go up a weight class, so she decided to cut and the whole tournament she was having trouble. It's the same in the USA, some of the best NCAA wrestlers don't make good freestyle wrestlers simply because of the weight classes. Some guys and gals just get stuck in between.
6 weight classes is the problem. Also, in other events multiple athletes from each country compete. It blows my mind that there are only 6 guys on the men's freestyle team. There are 26 men on the swim team and there are only 4 damn strokes!

What a GREAT "W" for Team USA W Volleyball!!! Up 2-1 Brazil tied it at 2-2 THEN took an early lead in the 5th BUT held on to win 15-11!!! On to the GOLD MEDAL MATCH for USA Sunday vs Turkey/Italy winner!!!

whats been amazing to me is that the Kenyans, Ethiopians, etc are usually the ones outkicking everyone at the end. In the 1500, 10K and steeple the US men have turned the tables on them. Hocker is known as a big kicker so not really a big shock he was able to do what he did, but at the same time anytime an American wins that race its a huge deal. Rooks is a whole other story though! He had no business even being in the finals, he was ranked around 28th in the world prior to this race. The way he took the lead and no one responded for a few seconds was incredible, and then to outkick the field like he did. Reminiscent of Billy Mills in the 1964 10K. Just an incredible performance. I loved his reaction afterwards too, he even surprised himself.

War hurt Ethiopia's sports scene

The world is also equalizing somewhat athletically and Michael Phelps explained the less than stellar performance of US men's swimming

"For me, as a whole, I was pretty disappointed to see the U.S. swimming results," Phelps told USA Today in an interview earlier this week. "... One of the things that I've always said the last few years is the rest of the world is catching up. I think a lot of the things that we've done as a country for so long, the other people are catching up. They're doing the same thing. Hopefully, we're able to make that transition leading into 2028."

Reactions: newell138
USA v Australia in Women's Water Polo (Semis) @ 1:15 on USA

LOTS of track finals this afternoon

Brooks was hanging on with a lead at the end and got beat at the buzzer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT