ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports OT: Official 2024 Summer Olympics Thread (with LIVE UPDATES)

Because there is no “argument.” It makes zero sense whatsoever which is why it’s NOT as such. Sorry lol!
I'm not saying each player gets 2 medals, just that, for the purposes of total medal count that I think the major team sports, which only can win one medal, should count as 2. I know most will think it's a bit nutty, but I just think it's more fair.

I'm not saying each player gets 2 medals, just that, for the purposes of total medal count that I think the major team sports, which only can win one medal, should count as 2. I know most will think it's a bit nutty, but I just think it's more fair.
What medal count does doubles get or a relay? 1.25 medals?

Last edited:
Reactions: newell138
Sorry can't agree
As they say"there's no I in team "and the team plays as one entry in the games ( not as individual contestants) , so 1 medal ( Gold,Silver , Bronze or none ) according how they end up in the final standings .
We will see more than one USA track and field contestant in the events, but they are competing as individuals representing the USA and earn the medals on an individual bases

Was so impressed by Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone. I was a little worried about Bol going in but Sydney just completely broke her exiting the turn.
Sydney is now 3-0 head to head against Bol … and Bol has not even been in the camera frame as Sydney crossed the finish line in all 3 races. Maybe it will be a rivalry someday, but it’s not looking good for Femke.

Sydney is now 3-0 head to head against Bol … and Bol has not even been in the camera frame as Sydney crossed the finish line in all 3 races. Maybe it will be a rivalry someday, but it’s not looking good for Femke.
They hadn’t faced off head to head in a while and Femke was trending in the right direction and closed extremely well in the relay earlier in the week.

She is an animal in the final 100
Looked like she alternated lead leg for the first 6 hurdles and then went to right-leg-only for the remaining hurdles. Have to guess she planned to lengthen her stride to drive into a long finishing kick. Really impressed by her strength and conditioning. Very mentally focused during the pre-race.

Men's volleyball bronze medal match, USA v Italy.

USA up 2-0, and 24-23. After a long RIDCULOUSLY GOOD rally, Italy finally gets the point to tie it at 24. They follow this up with a FOOT FAULT to give service back to the USA for another bronze medal point, and this time we convert! Bronze medal to the US men in volleyballl!

Dude.....that makes ZERO sense....sorry!!!

Do you want to be the person to tell one of our track stars or swimming stars that their Gold medal is only worth half what a basketball player’s gold medal is? Are YOU “nuts” my friend lol!

Last edited:
Is anyone thinking about going to the 28 Olympics in LA?

I was wondering when you would need to make all the arrangements.

When I think about the Olympics races like this is what I think about.

These events define the Olympics to me.

Olympic track and field competition is what means the most to me followed by swimming.
Always dreamed if I hit the lottery would love to build a first class track and field facility at Rutgers. Also thinking it was sad RU dropped fencing (and men's rowing) - think we were pretty good in the past.

What…no comments on the women’s breaking prelims??

Spain beating France in the men’s soccer final. Will be interesting to see if the crowd can help fuel a comeback.

100000%….went to Atlanta….its a “must do!”
How far in advance do you need to book everything?

Is it years, months or can you get away with spur of the moment decisions.

You will be 32 years older for 2028 so will you do it differently?

How far in advance do you need to book everything?

Is it years, months or can you get away with spur of the moment decisions.

You will be 32 years older for 2028 so will you do it differently?
1) stayed with friends

2) drove down

3) entered ticket lottery....ONLY got Men's Soccer semis and finals (my dad, OTOH, got Tues-Thurs (or Fri Track and Field)

4) will likely enter lottery again BUT also scalp for events I want to see in person

5) GO THE 2ND WEEK unless you really need to see gymnastics/swimming.....WHY? Most athletes are done by the 2nd Sunday....then they get to have fun for the first time in 6-12 months....you'll meet lots of them!! We met athletes from all over the world and even ran into Shaq at Denny's as we were leaving Monday morning following end of the games.

6) I'd like to get to the Closing Ceremonies

Reactions: tom1944
Tickets for Atlanta events were sold/ordered up to a year in advance. I don't know if that will be the same or not. For the most popular events/sessions, I think there was a lottery among people showing interest in attending. I was a poor grad student at the time so I stuck to events I knew I could get: water polo, table tennis, field hockey, team handball, a couple of baseball games (bought at the stadium the day of games), etc. No medal rounds for me, although I saw a LOT of the volleyball because the GT band ran concessions for most sessions. So I was there for the men's gold medal match and the medal awards ceremony, which is one of my favorite in-person sports moments.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
HOLY SHIT WHAT A COMEBACK!!!!

TEAM USA WOMEN WIN GOLD in the 4x100 RELAY!!!! ....despite 2 lousy exchanges

As someone who ran 4 x 100 and 4 x 200 relays in high school no matter how many times you practice hands off and think you can do it in your sleep...just one small thing off can wreck havoc ...even with the best of them

ONCE AGAIN .....TEAM USA MEN'S 4 X 100 BLOW IT (bad 1st exchange will be DQ'd)....and do it as defending world champs

As someone who ran 4 x 100 and 4 x 200 relays in high school no matter how many times you practice hands off and think you can do it in your sleep...just one small thing off can wreck havoc ...even with the best of them
Same here....I blew the last 4 x 100 I ever ran....SMDH

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT