ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports OT: Official 2024 Summer Olympics Thread (with LIVE UPDATES)

2 more TEAM USA track and field athletes receive their GOLD medals today after they won Silver in 2012 (more Russians doping...)!!!

Lashinda Demus and Eric Kynard

CONGRATS!!!

Reactions: pele78
Dude.....that makes ZERO sense....sorry!!!

Do you want to be the person to tell one of our track stars or swimming stars that their Gold medal is only worth half what a basketball player’s gold medal is? Are YOU “nuts” my friend lol!
Been called worse, lol. I'd have no problem telling them that. Let me ask you this - do you think a gold in a single track, swimming, cycling, archery, rowing, etc. event is as important to you, as a fan, as a gold in basketball or soccer? Not for me and I'd be surprised if it is for you.

Been called worse, lol. I'd have no problem telling them that. Let me ask you this - do you think a gold in a single track, swimming, cycling, archery, rowing, etc. event is as important to you, as a fan, as a gold in basketball or soccer? Not for me and I'd be surprised if it is for you.
You know, I just had to bust your chops on this one lol!

100%…. I think a gold in freaking badminton is every bit as important as a gold in basketball. It’s the Olympics. Making 1 gold more important than another is the EXACT OPPOSITE of “The Olympic Spirit.”

Enjoyed the Brazil-Canada gold medal beach volleyball match. I almost always root for Canada when the US isn't involved, plus I like underdogs (and Brandie Wilkerson is easy on the eyes), so hoped to see Canada win, but they just came up short. Not sure why the 3rd set only goes to 15, while the first two go to 21, though.

100%…. I think a gold in freaking badminton is every bit as important as a gold in basketball. It’s the Olympics. Making 1 gold more important than another is the EXACT OPPOSITE of “The Olympic Spirit.”
No problem, I like to argue for sport sometimes (or sports, lol). Agree on the Olympic spirit part, but will always think a gold in hoops is more important to me than a gold in speed walking.

No problem, I like to argue for sport sometimes (or sports, lol). Agree on the Olympic spirit part, but will always think a gold in hoops is more important to me than a gold in speed walking.
That’s fine… I will expect not to get your full support in 2028 when I’m on some USA in speedwalking!!!

This doesn't bode well for the future

Olympic dangers lurking in college sports' transformative change​

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...sharing-impact-team-usa-olympics/74716014007/

College sports in America don't just prepare US athletes, they also prepare a number of athletes who come here yet compete for other countries.

Even so, our system is so much better than most others. Getting government into controlling athletics in America would be a disaster.

In a shocking development, the guy who is pretending to be a woman won the gold medal in boxing. You did it bro!

Anyone watching the women's golf on Golf Channel? I like women's golf and it's been a real rollercoaster so far. USA's Zheng is only 2 strokes back of the co-leaders, Ko and Metraux, and defending gold medalist Korda is 5 back, which is still doable, with one round to go. Frenchwoman Celine Boutier is also 5 back and would love to see her at least medal for the home fans - she'd be leading if not for big numbers on #13 (+5 the past 2 days).

This was interesting to read.... I actually could care less about a Gold in BBall, we are supposed to be killing everyone. Reading that we were down 17 is embarrassing. They better win the Gold today - need to beat China.

Getting a gold here just adds to the table, so it counts just the same, but not worth the same as a gold in other sports to me.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I guess I can safely enter this thread now that spoilers are no longer a concern. Can't believe I managed to make it thru the 2 weeks in this social mrdia age with only 1 event being spoiled for me. Thankfully I was able to sneak off to watch many of the live events on TV's at work. My only goal now is to top China in total golds. Hopefully win both 4x 400 relays and 2 in hoops and then women's soccer.

Women's Heptahlon

Annie Hall doesn't medal. Why? Because after throwing her BEST EVER toss in the javelin, yesterday, she took a "hop" of joy (CLEARLY FOLLOWING THE THROW) which landed her feet on the penalty line and that throw was DQ'd. So she had to win the 800 today by 8-seconds to medal, over 2 other athletes, and just couldn't pull it off as THEY all ran their best 800's ever as well.

Feel awful for her. I get the rule BUT her "hop" had ZERO to do with her throw. That was just some rough bullshit IMHO.
She wouldn’t have medaled regardless but yea lesson learned

Individual gold medals IMO are more important than teams. I get a little emotional watching some of these runners achieving their dreams and hugging it out with family afterwards knowing how much sacrifices they all made to get there. I am happy if our soccer team wins but don’t get the same joy

Reactions: mosito
Lydia Ko (NZ) has separated from the field moving from -9 to -11 through 9 holes, with most others dropping back, including, unfortunately, the Americans Zheng (from -7 to -3) and Korda who is at -5. Henseleit (Germany) and Lin (China) are tied for 2nd 5 strokes back at -6. If a non-American is going to win, I'd be happy for it to be Ko, whose game I've always liked. She's as good inside 100 yards as anyone (including most male pros) - if she had more power and accuracy off the tee, she'd have a lot more than 2 majors.

Would be nice to see this 17-year old Japanese kid upset the Chinese in the men's 10 m platform, which would prevent the Chinese from sweeping all 8 golds in diving.

I’m hoping that this game is just what we needed before a tough game against France for the gold. We were a little complacent today since we didn’t play our best to start off the first game vs. Serbia but still blew them out. This was a much different Serbia team today.
The first game was competitive until Jokic went to the bench. That's when the blowout happened.

US women looking shaky in the first 30 minutes - gave up a goal, but fortunately it was offsides and have given up many other chances that Brazil hasn't converted on. Need to play better.

And Ko is 1 up on her last hole over the German with no US players going to medal as Korda and Zheng faltered.

Edit: and Ko wins the gold in style, making birdie on the par 5 18th from about 8 feet after another gorgeous wedge, winning by 2. This gives her a bronze, silver and gold in the Olympics and with her 2 majors qualifies for the golf hall of fame at the age of 27. Nice win.

Last edited:
US women looking shaky in the first 30 minutes - gave up a goal, but fortunately it was offsides and have given up many other chances that Brazil hasn't converted on. Need to play better.

And Ko is 1 up on her last hole over the German with no US players going to medal as Korda and Zheng faltered.

Edit: and Ko wins the gold in style, making birdie on the par 5 18th from about 8 feet after another gorgeous wedge, winning by 2. This gives her a bronze, silver and gold in the Olympics and with her 2 majors qualifies for the golf hall of fame at the age of 27. Nice win.
Just got in from Saturday morning cycling. Agreed that was a very disappointing first half. Naeher made a big save to keep it 0-0. More bad news China up 37-33 gold

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT