ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Olympics

tom1944

All American
Feb 22, 2008
Do you plan to watch?

If so which events?

I try to watch the track and field and swimming as priorities. I also follow the cycling and weightlifting. I think I will check out speed climbing.

If there are judges giving scores, I watch occasionally but the judging is so corrupt I do not make watching a priority.

Sports where the Olympics are of secondary importance to that sport I only watch infrequently

Swimming, track, women's gymnastics, rowing/triathlon in the scenic (and polluted) Siene.

Do you plan to watch?

If so which events?

I try to watch the track and field and swimming as priorities. I also follow the cycling and weightlifting. I think I will check out speed climbing.

If there are judges giving scores, I watch occasionally but the judging is so corrupt I do not make watching a priority.

Sports where the Olympics are of secondary importance to that sport I only watch infrequently
Absolutely. Track and swimming mostly. The US track team could be one of our best and deepest ever

Do you plan to watch?

If so which events?

Meh.
Probably watch some swimming and the big track and field events for the heck of it.

Reactions: rurichdog
Don't forget our own Kahleah Copper made the women's basketball team for the 1st time. Can't wait to see her. She is also one of our new coaches when she is not with Phoenix(WNBA).

Reactions: pele78
Ummmm in more breaking news the final was last night and she broke her own world record.

When the games start there isn't much in the way of alternatives. By the end there's preseason football. I'll tune in when there's nothing better on.

Have the boxing trials taken place yet. I harken back to the days of 1976 when the US team was golden. But now......waiting for an American to top the medal stand again. Anybody have a shot?
The day of the 1976 boxing finals was one of my all-time favorite sporting events. The Cuban boxers were heavily favored to win the most gold medals on that day. Leon Spinx and Sugar Ray Leonard faced two Cuban boxers who knocked out all of their opponents in the early rounds. Leon knocked his opponent out and Sugar Ray scored a lop sided victory. An untested Michael Spinx, who advanced mostly on boycotts of I think African boxers, scored a TKO over a former Russian champion. The only major blemish was Cuban Teofilo Stephenson who knocked out John Tate. Most of these fights can be found on Youtube if you are interested.

Do you plan to watch?

If so which events?

Love the Olympics, one of the great sporting events in the world. Especially when people keep the damned politics out of it.

The day of the 1976 boxing finals was one of my all-time favorite sporting events. The Cuban boxers were heavily favored to win the most gold medals on that day. Leon Spinx and Sugar Ray Leonard faced two Cuban boxers who knocked out all of their opponents in the early rounds. Leon knocked his opponent out and Sugar Ray scored a lop sided victory. An untested Michael Spinx, who advanced mostly on boycotts of I think African boxers, scored a TKO over a former Russian champion. The only major blemish was Cuban Teofilo Stephenson who knocked out John Tate. Most of these fights can be found on Youtube if you are interested.

That was around the golden age of pro middleweight fighters. Leonard both times. I watched then. Lost all interest in the last 25 years.

the glory days of boxing. Its kind of interesting how boxing was one of the top events at the Olympics for many years and now you'd be hard pressed to find it on even televised. It was the stepping stone for so many great fighters

Reactions: Plum Street
Ummmm in more breaking news the final was last night and she broke her own world record.

And nobody posted about it?
I - as a native NYer - have to post about a NJ tack star and Olympics?
This fits a pattern of NYers having to boost RU
Ima have to change my username to Erasmus
If some dude broke a hot dog eating record it would be 3 pages long
Cookie for you anyway...

7d879jt.gif

the glory days of boxing. Its kind of interesting how boxing was one of the top events at the Olympics for many years and now you'd be hard pressed to find it on even televised. It was the stepping stone for so many great fighters
I think that the viewing audience demographics changed to a much larger percentage of females. Hence, women gymenastics became a focal point of the broadcasts and the focus on boxing became greatly diminished. That's my two cents anyway.

Cookie for you anyway...

7d879jt.gif
@LETSGORU91 posted about it this morning, in this thread!

Cookie for you anyway...

7d879jt.gif
Actually someone posted it right in this thread. I learned reading at an early age.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
I think that the viewing audience demographics changed to a much larger percentage of females. Hence, women gymenastics became a focal point of the broadcasts and the focus on boxing became greatly diminished. That's my two cents anyway.

In 1972 and 1976 BOTH boxing and gymnastics commanded large audiences and lots of coverage. Why did boxing alone subsequently decline?

The networks wanted the female viewer.

And for two Olympics they had them AND good boxing ratings. Your explanation doesn't fly. Perhaps it was that the scoring in boxing became the MOST partisan of any Olympic sport? Was it the decline of professional boxing carrying over?

In 1972 and 1976 BOTH boxing and gymnastics commanded large audiences and lots of coverage. Why did boxing alone subsequently decline?
About 12 years ago, I watched a portion of the Olympics with my wife. Most of the programming involved women's gymnastics while boxing was treated as an after thought even if the fight involved a U.S. boxer. I think boxing was shown on some sort of late night replay of the games, and not during prime time.

And for two Olympics they had them AND good boxing ratings. Your explanation doesn't fly. Perhaps it was that the scoring in boxing became the MOST partisan of any Olympic sport? Was it the decline of professional boxing carrying over?
I found this statement on the internet which tends to explain the decline of olympic boxing during television programming.

"As an entertainment spectacle, the Olympics brand is stronger among women than men: 51 percent of women said they “love to watch the Olympics,” compared to only 41 percent of men."

Reactions: newell138
About 12 years ago, I watched a portion of the Olympics with my wife. Most of the programming involved women's gymnastics while boxing was treated as an after thought even if the fight involved a U.S. boxer. I think boxing was shown on some sort of late night replay of the games, and not during prime time.

12 years ago you would be right. But again you won't deal with how that came about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT