ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Penn State 700M stadium renovation

RUaMoose

Heisman Winner
Oct 31, 2004
Lebanon, TN
I got to thinking when/if RU might do a stadium renovation. Wider concourses, more bathrooms, upgraded wifi, maybe more comfy seats between the 30s and of course a retractable roof (lol). At the end of video, he talks about other schools renovating their stadium: Fresno State, Marshall and Texas State

Nitts regularly pack 100k into that dump

I’d be in favor turning SHI into Papa Johns, with chairback seats & Luxory boxes

Cap it at 65-68k max, make it bougie (bricks on the outside, amenities, etc) and call it a day

*** expansion dependent on future success, as 4-8 and regular drubbings vs any team with a pulse clearly wouldn’t warrant said addition

PSU fills their 108K person stadium…. I’m sure they don’t mind the money.
And I'm sure the stadium is already nice enough. It's a football stadium not a day spa at Canyon Ranch. Talk about precious and effete snowflakes. Football fans used to sit in cold bleachers and drink Schlitz beer. Now they wouldn't dare be caught drinking something that isn't from a microbrewery and visiting stadiums more than 20 years old that don't look like the most modern Star Wars rides at Disneyland with art hanging from the walls. For all the gay-hating machismo and complaints about brittle QBs not wanting to get hit, the fans seem to be becoming p*ssies themselves.

Have to say, one criticism I had of PSU was how "giant erector set" their stadium looked. This would make it look more like one of those giant old stadiums. Good for them. Dislike them for their cultism and hypocritical lies about their values.. but the fans and support system have earned this through their support.

Reactions: RUScrew85
And I'm sure the stadium is already nice enough. It's a football stadium not a day spa at Canyon Ranch. Talk about precious and effete snowflakes. Football fans used to sit in cold bleachers and drink Schlitz beer. Now they wouldn't dare be caught drinking something that isn't from a microbrewery and visiting stadiums more than 20 years old that don't look like the most modern Star Wars rides at Disneyland with art hanging from the walls. For all the gay-hating machismo and complaints about brittle QBs not wanting to get hit, the fans seem to be becoming p*ssies themselves.
Since it ain’t your money…not sure why 1) you care and 2) it bothers you. If that school can swing it…good for them! Luxury boxes and suites make schools with significant followings, BIG $$$ just because RU is not one of those, does not mean those that can, shouldn’t. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nitts regularly pack 100k into that dump

I’d be in favor turning SHI into Papa Johns, with chairback seats & Luxory boxes

Cap it at 65-68k max, make it bougie (bricks on the outside, amenities, etc) and call it a day

*** expansion dependent on future success, as 4-8 and regular drubbings vs any team with a pulse clearly wouldn’t warrant said addition

There was one rendering years ago where our stadium was brickfaced and had castle turrets on the 4 corners

Add a moat with a drawbridge at the river road entrance and that could have been amazing

lol what does people's beer choice have to do with this?

Reactions: cshelley
There was one rendering years ago where our stadium was brickfaced and had castle turrets on the 4 corners

Add a moat with a drawbridge at the river road entrance and that could have been amazing

That was during expansion. It was cut due to cost.

Reactions: knightfan7
anyone else remember that time their coach raped all those kids and then Paterno and the school ignored it and all the fans defended it? Wild stuff
Yeah I remember. Paterno is dead and the perpetrator is in jail. There’s more than a little innuendo that our HC may have known a little about that ( court documents)..

Reactions: JRZEER
Yeah I remember. Paterno is dead and the perpetrator is in jail. There’s more than a little innuendo that our HC may have known a little about that ( court documents)..

He's never really given a full accounting of what he saw there. At least not that I'm aware of.

• Haha
Reactions: PSUPALY
Where things are going. It’s not 1960 anymore. Fans expect amenities or they’ll just watch from home.

Their stadium is a dump.

It’s massive, but it’s a Qualcomm Stadium (San Diego Chargers) level dump.

Honestly they should be talking about a new stadium, not renovations.

Reactions: MoreCowbellRU
Their stadium is a dump.

It’s massive, but it’s a Qualcomm Stadium (San Diego Chargers) level dump.

Honestly they should be talking about a new stadium, not renovations.
It worse then Qualcomm Stadium. I am disappointed they are not building new. It needs so much work in every area of the stadium. I think once they get done it going to be closer to 1 billion then 700 million.

They have a passionate fanbase with real diehards that offer up more than opinions on message boards. They lack for nothing for the team to get better. Money for an expansion and money for players.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
It worse then Qualcomm Stadium. I am disappointed they are not building new. It needs so much work in every area of the stadium. I think once they get done it going to be closer to 1 billion then 700 million.
You guys need an Aggie type overhaul

Thx renderings I saw were pretty cool - any ideas what the new capacity is projected to be?

They say it will be over 100k
Surprising given the current trends in college athletics

Smaller capacities + more amentities is typically the new norm

Are they adding additional suites & club seating, or is it primarily getting it up to ADA standards, widening seats, better concessions, etc ?

I went to the RU game there in 2015(?) and was actually slightly disappointed.

Reactions: RU205
Why do they need to reduce tuition? They have more demand than supply
state school, I'm sure many are priced out. The goal of higher education is just that, education. The goal is not to price state residents out. Im not commie by any stretch but in this regard, if you can afford 700mm for stadium renovations, then they can certainly afford to make education cheaper for state residents

state school, I'm sure many are priced out. The goal of higher education is just that, education. The goal is not to price state residents out. Im not commie by any stretch but in this regard, if you can afford 700mm for stadium renovations, then they can certainly afford to make education cheaper for state residents
Penn State, Temple and U of Pittsburgh are what is strangely categorized by Pennsylvania as “state-related.,” not fully state schools. (PA has a separately system of state colleges/universities such as slippery Rock, Stroudsburg, etc). Anyway, state support for higher education has dwindled in PA. State aid to Penn State provides just about 11 percent of the university’s budget.
PSU’s tuition is more tha $3,000 more for in-state students than Rutgers students pay.

Last edited:
Then do you advocate for Rutgers to drop athletics since it charges student fees, uses tax money, and takes money from the general fund to subsidize athletics? At least Penn State athletics is completely self sufficient and no university or tax money is being used for this project. Penn State is a state related school it is not actually a state owned school.

Reactions: newell138
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT